Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,590 members, 7,823,554 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:40 AM

Why Did Military Not Develop Nigeria Like Their Counterparts In Other Countries? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Did Military Not Develop Nigeria Like Their Counterparts In Other Countries? (3583 Views)

Buhari Welcomes Offer From Islamic Development Bank To Develop Nigeria (Photo) / Military Not Sincere On Casualty Figure Of Sunday’s Attack – Borno Residents / Here Are 6 Ways You Can Develop Nigeria's Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Military Not Develop Nigeria Like Their Counterparts In Other Countries? by Uchek(m): 3:39pm On Oct 12, 2009
Why did Nigeria Military dictatorship not develop Nigeria - at least economically - like their counterparts in other countries - Libya, South Korea, Brazil, Indonesia, Thailand?

1 Like

Re: Why Did Military Not Develop Nigeria Like Their Counterparts In Other Countries? by Seun(m): 3:41pm On Oct 12, 2009
Because developing a country is not the job of the military. You can't expect them to be good at it any more than you would expect a world wrestling champion to be good at building nuclear power plants.
Re: Why Did Military Not Develop Nigeria Like Their Counterparts In Other Countries? by Fhemmmy: 3:43pm On Oct 12, 2009
Cos the country you have mentioned are good at it, and with vission.
Our own leader, be it military or civilian, they have nothing to offer, but something o steal.
Re: Why Did Military Not Develop Nigeria Like Their Counterparts In Other Countries? by skfa1: 3:46pm On Oct 12, 2009
Farmer only knows about farming cant build a house or bridge
Re: Why Did Military Not Develop Nigeria Like Their Counterparts In Other Countries? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Oct 12, 2009
What is the difference between Nigerian military/military dictatorship and 98% of Nigerians? None!
Those greedy military bastards were aided by civilians to achieved their optimum goal; corruption and underdevelopment.
Re: Why Did Military Not Develop Nigeria Like Their Counterparts In Other Countries? by Fhemmmy: 3:52pm On Oct 12, 2009
nuzo:

What is the difference between Nigerian military/military dictatorship and 98% of Nigerians? None!
Those greedy military bastards were aided by civilians to achieved their optimum goal; corruption and underdevelopment.

cos those 98% Nigerians are those that ends up being the dictator.
Also, cos people are answerable to whoever feed them, which is a bad idea, people needs to learn to vote and fight for their right
Re: Why Did Military Not Develop Nigeria Like Their Counterparts In Other Countries? by redsun(m): 3:57pm On Oct 12, 2009
Libya is not developed,it is more or less a rogue state under a tyranic leader that have been ruling them for years.
Re: Why Did Military Not Develop Nigeria Like Their Counterparts In Other Countries? by citizenY(m): 7:11pm On Oct 12, 2009
I wish to humbly submit that the military is not fashioned for development in the actual sense of the word.
It is an irony if you take into consideration the need for the military to use modern technology. Unfortunately,
military strategies are all very old , some dating back to the days of Caesar. The Nigerian military in the is
just a hotch potch of the colonial army with patches of what they got from Sandhurst, Jaji, India etc. A mixed
grill, really of the theoretical and the practical from all over. In effect the military is no suitable for the tyoe of
development we are talking about. As no unit of the military is established to make profit, you do not expext
them to be drilled in the rudiments of taking decisions in this area and i want to believe that they really got a
handful when they took over the reins of power.

Taking power means running a government and those cannot be done, for reasons of lack of capacity a, without the
civilians who run the civil service. running the civil service exposed them to budgets, power at all levels of government
and in a short while, they were co opted/conscripted as governors, minsters and so on. In the process, they became
corrupt in all facets and coup after coups only worsened the situation and in the absence of an exit strategy, they could only
continue to replace themselves. THAT IS WHY THE DOCTOR BECOMES THE PATIENT with every coup.

In the light of the foregoing, it will be difficult to talk of development as there was no plan to administer in the first instance.
The military had no blue print and the civil service just helped them to move along from coup to coup- soldier come soldier go'
That is what we call motion without movement.

And when they left, battered, rotten and dishonored, they still wont leave us, They have moved , along with whatever is left of their
civilian collaborators, into politics to continue business as usual,

This is just skeletal and i am sure the reader can fill in the gaps and reach conclusions as to whether development in whatever aspect of
life was feasible' All we knew was billions of naira budgets (in which the population had no input) were announced at the beginning of the year
with no accountability at the end of the year. Some argue that there was development but I ask where has it led us to--- where we are today?

1 Like

Re: Why Did Military Not Develop Nigeria Like Their Counterparts In Other Countries? by Onlytruth(m): 7:40pm On Oct 12, 2009
Because Nigeria's best military minds were killed, eased off or marginalized under half baked ones from 1966 to the handover of 1998.  When you have half baked ADC's of former Nigeria's best officers of the 60s suddenly ascend power through coups, what do you expect to happen?
Mediocrity and incompetence was introduced through the counter-coup of July 1966. Nigeria never recovered from that!
Re: Why Did Military Not Develop Nigeria Like Their Counterparts In Other Countries? by Beaf: 8:00pm On Oct 12, 2009
@citizenY
Congrats for not typing in bold or capitals.
Re: Why Did Military Not Develop Nigeria Like Their Counterparts In Other Countries? by Beaf: 8:12pm On Oct 12, 2009
Some of the reasons are here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-281409.0.html e.g.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/153355_NDA_5_jpgaab89951bd3c9b48f1285dc7362dcb37

This stupid training method is unfortunate and abusive, it can't produce leaders worth a pinch of salt. Leaders are needed to develop a country.

Something needs to be done to stop this sort of abuse of future officers. These are peoples kids, lovers and fathers being programmed into souless killing machines.
Re: Why Did Military Not Develop Nigeria Like Their Counterparts In Other Countries? by MrCrackles(m): 8:13pm On Oct 12, 2009
^ shocked shocked shocked shocked grin cheesy grin
Re: Why Did Military Not Develop Nigeria Like Their Counterparts In Other Countries? by skfa1: 8:17pm On Oct 12, 2009
Beaf:

Some of the reasons are here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-281409.0.html e.g.

This stupid training method is unfortunate and abusive, it can't produce leaders worth a pinch of salt. Leaders are needed to develop a country.

Something needs to be done to stop this sort of abuse of future officers. These are peoples kids, lovers and fathers being programmed into souless killing machines.

Tehehheheh i laugh in Yoruba,which kind training be this, even soldier wey won go Iraq no train like this , cheeeiiii grin
Re: Why Did Military Not Develop Nigeria Like Their Counterparts In Other Countries? by Uchek(m): 8:50pm On Oct 12, 2009
Redsun, you missed the point of posting. Libya may not be developed if you are comparing them to West. But to Nigeria, Libya is a First World.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Military Not Develop Nigeria Like Their Counterparts In Other Countries? by mamagee6(f): 12:40am On Oct 13, 2009
Beaf:

WTF are these soldiers doing?, Is this the way we are supposed to train our soldiers, this is hilarious. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Did Military Not Develop Nigeria Like Their Counterparts In Other Countries? by citizenY(m): 8:28am On Oct 13, 2009
@Beaf

Thanks, am trying to cope. As I said elsewhere, i use glasses
and the bold type enables me to go over my submissions.
Will keep trying.
Re: Why Did Military Not Develop Nigeria Like Their Counterparts In Other Countries? by redsun(m): 9:06am On Oct 13, 2009
Uchek:

Redsun, you missed the point of posting. Libya may not be developed if you are comparing them to West. But to Nigeria, Libya is a First World.

Development involves the people not building infrastructures with hired foreign hands and buying murderous machines with the people's without their consents.

Like i have asked before,why must we always think that it is our birth right to be backward?Comparing ourselves with libya,even thailand,not even saudi is develop in the true sense of development,development is got more to do with the mind and individual freedom than any other thing.
Re: Why Did Military Not Develop Nigeria Like Their Counterparts In Other Countries? by OIbhagui(m): 4:58am On Mar 14, 2012
All ''development'' that you notice is actually a physical manifestation of the development of the mind long ago. Unfortunately you try to copy the physical that you understand. Nigerians do not realise how backward we are. In the contents of our minds, we're still over 2000 years behind the West. Where are our philosophers? What theories have they expounded? Don't we still attribute all happenstance to religion and a God? Do you know that Archimedes lived centuries before Jesus, and his works contributed to our inventions in the maritime world? The Greeks have been developing the concept of democracy since before Aristotle which is before Christ. We just wake up and buy stuff from others and we think we are at par with them. Do you know that it is people who invented the concept of money? Let me add that there is no ''western Education''. The west only discovered many markers to human progress first. If you want to make progress you have to take much of that route too.

Our society is made up of very very small people with a very simplistic and ignorant concept of the journey of human development in history. It is that lack of enlightenment that makes them steal money and assess all human worth and achievement in terms of the money made as a result.

My own frustration is the very fact that we have not even started the process of enlightening our society. God knows I could write 10 books on the stupidity of the underdeveloped nations of the world, mostly black and Arab nations and it will not be enough but I am too lazy to write and lack the incentive. The ''leaders'' you're expecting to do miracles are a product of your society. They are you and me. The SYSTEM in place will not allow a person with a view radically different from the prevailing one in the society to ever get to power; and if they do by some act of miracle, they will still fail because the society will fight back. My own small family is tired of me since nothing I say is in their world of experience and I am a pariah. How do you ever think I will fare in a group that doesn't even have any attachment to me.

(1) (Reply)

Prosecute Subsidy Profiteers - Bakare To Gej / FG Moves To Boost Gas Supply To Power Plants / What Is Wrong With This Photo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.