Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,826 members, 7,820,907 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

Your Car's Consuming Excess Fuel? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Your Car's Consuming Excess Fuel? (2666 Views)

These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel / My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel / See Why You Should Mind What You Keep In Your Car Especially In Hot Weather (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Car's Consuming Excess Fuel? by TRYGO(m): 9:37pm On Sep 22, 2016
Vehicle manufacturers over the years have modified vehicles to be more fuel efficient, by incorporating various types of technological strategies, ranging from cylinder deactivation systems (on Honda, Ford, "V" engine configurations); VVT-i(variable valve timing ignition) systems; and turbo chargers.

If your car has either of the above installed fuel efficient systems, and your car's fuel efficiency is poor, you probably need to check the following:

1. Engine air filter. Clogged filters distorts a car air fuel ratio negatively, making a car's computer system atomizes more fuel in the combustion chambers
2. Engine idling. Avoid excessive idling of the engine, after start-up, or in traffic. This wears your engine more, and consumes more fuel.
Put off the engine when not in use.
3. AC system. If you're the one that regularly turns on your car's AC system, know that the AC system, adds more load on the engine when the compressor is engaged. Want to use the AC system, and you're worried about fuel issues?
**open your car's windows if you'd parked the car in the sun, before turning in the AC. This would reduce the tremendous amount of work the AC system does, and exerts in your AC system before cooling.
**avoid parking your car in the sun. Look for a shady area.
4. Avoid aggressive driving. When you drive aggressively, it's proportional to increased fuel usage.
Avoid sudden brake applications, and sudden takeoffs.
5. Under inflated. Under inflated tyres increases a car's rolling resistance, which is always translated to increased load on the engine, and subsequently a safety concern for the driver and passengers.
Ensure all tyres are uniformly gauged according to manufacturer's standard.
6. Intake air ducts. All air intake ducts in the engine bay should all be checked regularly to avoid air leaks. A leaky sir duct, falsely commands a car's computer system yo atomize more fuel, thereby affecting your consumption.
7. Spark plugs. Worn out spark plugs would always affect a car's consumption rate. If your plugs are worn, it takes tremendous energy and time for the spark to be ignited, and travel straight down to the combustion chambers, to cause a major ripple effect necessary for your car's dynamics.

I do hope this short piece was helpful.
Drop us a comment in the comment bar, pls.

Re: Your Car's Consuming Excess Fuel? by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:47pm On Sep 22, 2016
TRYGO:

Vehicle manufacturers over the years have modified vehicles to be more fuel efficient, by incorporating various types of technological strategies, ranging from cylinder deactivation systems (on Honda, Ford, "V" engine configurations); VVT-i(variable valve timing ignition) systems; and turbo chargers.
If your car has either of the above installed fuel efficient systems, and your car's fuel efficiency is poor, you probably need to check the following:
1. Engine air filter. Clogged filters distorts a car air fuel ratio negatively, making a car's computer system atomizes more fuel in the combustion chambers
2. Engine idling. Avoid excessive idling of the engine, after start-up, or in traffic. This wears your engine more, and consumes more fuel.
Put off the engine when not in use.
3. AC system. If you're the one that regularly turns on your car's AC system, know that the AC system, adds more load on the engine when the compressor is engaged. Want to use the AC system, and you're worried about fuel issues?
**open your car's windows if you'd parked the car in the sun, before turning in the AC. This would reduce the tremendous amount of work the AC system does, and exerts in your AC system before cooling.
**avoid parking your car in the sun. Look for a shady area.
4. Avoid aggressive driving. When you drive aggressively, it's proportional to increased fuel usage.
Avoid sudden brake applications, and sudden takeoffs.
5. Under inflated. Under inflated tyres increases a car's rolling resistance, which is always translated to increased load on the engine, and subsequently a safety concern for the driver and passengers.
Ensure all tyres are uniformly gauged according to manufacturer's standard.
6. Intake air ducts. All air intake ducts in the engine bay should all be checked regularly to avoid air leaks. A leaky sir duct, falsely commands a car's computer system yo atomize more fuel, thereby affecting your consumption.
7. Spark plugs. Worn out spark plugs would always affect a car's consumption rate. If your plugs are worn, it takes tremendous energy and time for the spark to be ignited, and travel straight down to the combustion chambers, to cause a major ripple effect necessary for your car's dynamics.
I do hope this short piece was helpful.
Drop us a comment in the comment bar, pls.

Are you the author?

http://www.engineeringapps.net/profileview/ybmjgtxtgz#subject_415

1 Like

Re: Your Car's Consuming Excess Fuel? by fckmn24seg(m): 9:48pm On Sep 22, 2016
OK good piece
Re: Your Car's Consuming Excess Fuel? by TRYGO(m): 10:09pm On Sep 22, 2016
@Gazzuzz. Yes, I'm the author of that post. Have other posts there also.
You could also check out my Facebook page at
www.facebook.com/DW Nig Ltd. Exciting and educating pictures and videos on my daily car repair experiences are there.

PS: If you could access the page with that link, just type: DW Nig Ltd on your Facebook account search icon. It takes you there straight.

Thanks a lot, Zuzzy.
Re: Your Car's Consuming Excess Fuel? by nonso84(m): 11:55pm On Sep 22, 2016
In addition to the above facts, PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE YOUR THERMOSTAT, instead replace it when it fails.
Re: Your Car's Consuming Excess Fuel? by TRYGO(m): 7:21am On Sep 23, 2016
@Nonso. I did forgot to include that fact. Vehicles fitted with ECT( engine coolant temperature) sensor, should never be removed. They should be replaced, if they've failed.
Forget about the Nigerian mechanics mentality, telling people to remove their cars thermostat (ECT), just because the car was brought from another different (cold) whether.

Thanks for the reminder Nonso.

1 Like

Re: Your Car's Consuming Excess Fuel? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:40am On Sep 23, 2016
TRYGO:
@Nonso. I did forgot to include that fact. Vehicles fitted with ECT( engine coolant temperature) sensor, should never be removed. They should be replaced, if they've failed.
Forget about the Nigerian mechanics mentality, telling people to remove their cars thermostat (ECT), just because the car was brought from another different (cold) whether.

Thanks for the reminder Nonso.

No one removes the ECT sir. What the remove is the mechanical thermostat that was supposed to restrict the flow of coolant until it reached a specified target temp before flow is permitted.

Also what is also done is the fans are connected directly to ignition so the fans stay on as long as the engine is running.

4 Likes

Re: Your Car's Consuming Excess Fuel? by TRYGO(m): 9:07pm On Sep 24, 2016
@Gazzuzz. Thanks for a he reminder pls. I meant to say the thermostat, and not the ECT.
Re: Your Car's Consuming Excess Fuel? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Sep 24, 2016
Some unnamed young religious ninnies should read this piece grin

1 Like

Re: Your Car's Consuming Excess Fuel? by TRYGO(m): 3:54pm On Sep 29, 2016
@Egun! You're funny person o!
Re: Your Car's Consuming Excess Fuel? by starlionnotch: 8:44pm On Oct 02, 2016
Gazzuz and all, how about the exhaust system, i suspect that is what could be draining my fuel on my 1999 toyota avensis.
Or are there other suspects?
Re: Your Car's Consuming Excess Fuel? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:30am On Oct 03, 2016
starlionnotch:
Gazzuz and all, how about the exhaust system, i suspect that is what could be draining my fuel on my 1999 toyota avensis.
Or are there other suspects?

Derailing, open your own thread.
Re: Your Car's Consuming Excess Fuel? by TRYGO(m): 7:16pm On Oct 03, 2016
@stalion. The exhaust system, comprise of the catalytic converter, exhaust tail pipes, exhaust manifold, etc. It depends on the part of the exhaust system you're referring to.
The exhaust system contributes to excess fuel consumption, when the system has tremendous leaks on the exhaust line, or the muffler system.
So, when you drive your car next time, and you notice a "buuuuu" sound, that's shows you've leaks somewhere on the system.
If your catalytic converter has failed internally, it could cause the excess fuel consumption you're experiencing.
A leaky exhaust manifold, or a failed exhaust gasket also.
What happens when any of the exhaust system fails, or is gradually failing, is that, the leakages allows into the engine, more than excess air requirement needed for achieving the necessary air/fuel ratio for combustion to take place in the combustion chamber. This distortion in the car's air requirements causes a lean condition in the engine; and the ECU(engine control computer) of the car, commands the necessary engine management systems(injector nozzles, etc), to increase its injection pulse rate in order to meet up with the air/fuel ratio distortions. That's why its important if any of the exhaust system has problem, get it fixed immediately.
I hope this helps you.
Re: Your Car's Consuming Excess Fuel? by TRYGO(m): 7:16pm On Oct 03, 2016
@stalionnotch. The exhaust system, comprise of the catalytic converter, exhaust tail pipes, exhaust manifold, etc. It depends on the part of the exhaust system you're referring to.
The exhaust system contributes to excess fuel consumption, when the system has tremendous leaks on the exhaust line, or the muffler system.
So, when you drive your car next time, and you notice a "buuuuu" sound, that's shows you've leaks somewhere on the system.
If your catalytic converter has failed internally, it could cause the excess fuel consumption you're experiencing.
A leaky exhaust manifold, or a failed exhaust gasket also.
What happens when any of the exhaust system fails, or is gradually failing, is that, the leakages allows into the engine, more than excess air requirement needed for achieving the necessary air/fuel ratio for combustion to take place in the combustion chamber. This distortion in the car's air requirements causes a lean condition in the engine; and the ECU(engine control computer) of the car, commands the necessary engine management systems(injector nozzles, etc), to increase its injection pulse rate in order to meet up with the air/fuel ratio distortions. That's why its important if any of the exhaust system has problem, get it fixed immediately.
I hope this helps you.
Re: Your Car's Consuming Excess Fuel? by tofolo(m): 11:27am On Oct 06, 2016
Hello Gazzuzz i sent you a text but you aint replying i need to talk to you about a particular car.
GAZZUZZ:

Are you the author?

http://www.engineeringapps.net/profileview/ybmjgtxtgz#subject_415
Re: Your Car's Consuming Excess Fuel? by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:25pm On Oct 06, 2016
tofolo:
Hello Gazzuzz i sent you a text but you aint replying i need to talk to you about a particular car.

So sorry Sens sms again. Sometimes my phone gets filled and I delete all without reading a lot of them.
Re: Your Car's Consuming Excess Fuel? by tofolo(m): 12:28pm On Oct 06, 2016
i just did now and it has delivered.
GAZZUZZ:

So sorry Sens sms again. Sometimes my phone gets filled and I delete all without reading a lot of them.
Re: Your Car's Consuming Excess Fuel? by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:42pm On Oct 06, 2016
tofolo:
i just did now and it has delivered.

Iv seen the sms, unfortunately you will have to introduce your self properly, add location and tech experience in that feild before we can proceed. Also this is not the thread for it.
Re: Your Car's Consuming Excess Fuel? by TRYGO(m): 9:26pm On Oct 10, 2016
@tofolo. I'm the author of that post.
You could check out other ones at my Facebook page.
Type DW Nig Ltd on your Facebook's search icon, and there you get informative and exciting video clips and pictures on automotive stuff.
Re: Your Car's Consuming Excess Fuel? by nairamaniac: 1:56pm On Mar 07, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

No one removes the ECT sir. What the remove is the mechanical thermostat that was supposed to restrict the flow of coolant until it reached a specified target temp before flow is permitted.

Also what is also done is the fans are connected directly to ignition so the fans stay on as long as the engine is running.

pls to what extent(percentage) does this act affect the fuel consumption?

I mean if the fan is connected directly, to what percentage does it drop the milage per gallon?
Thanx

cc Nonso84
Re: Your Car's Consuming Excess Fuel? by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:32pm On Mar 07, 2021
nairamaniac:

pls to what extent(percentage) does this act affect the fuel consumption?

I mean if the fan is connected directly, to what percentage does it drop the milage per gallon?
Thanx

cc Nonso84

I don't have figures. But as bad as 30per fuel efficiency loss
Re: Your Car's Consuming Excess Fuel? by nairamaniac: 2:37pm On Mar 07, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

I don't have figures. But as bad as 30per fuel efficiency loss

okay thank.

I have a vehicle that has its fan connected directly.

I can't go thru the stress of reversing connection to work with Thermostat for now.

I'm thinking of connecting the fan manually with a switch in the car.

I discovered a wire connection behind the sound system that controls the Radiator fan.

(1) (Reply)

Ac Blowing Hot After Battery Replaced / PIC: Keke Driver Fixes Charging Spot For His Customers.. / Toyota Corolla 2007/2008 Model Or Hyundai Accent Brand New

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.