Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,766 members, 7,817,111 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:07 AM

Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? (14779 Views)

Mad Man 'healed' By Salvation Ministry Is Back To The Street - Freeze Reacts / Pastor Drowns While Conducting Baptism At Blood River Village In South Africa / Is Restitution Necessary For Repentance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Bluesearoll(m): 6:12pm On Sep 25, 2016
This is where you will know if your church has been deceiving you,,,,, read the Bible yourself..... If it's not necessary JESUS wouldn't have done it himself..... That's how important it is. if you are preparing for heaven pls go and do it pls. Not sprinkly of water..... It's immersion... Totally submerged body.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by emecheboy2(m): 6:15pm On Sep 25, 2016
@DoctorAlien I am sick of how people like you display their ignorance online and basically find it hard to comment on issues like this but i am forced to comment. people like you don’t know anything about the catholic church that have existed more than a thousand compared to your church that does not even know how the bible was compiled and possible not up to 80 years.
What do you mean by the catholic way of sprinkling water?
Check your bible very well; Cornelius was baptised with his household (Acts 10:47-48; 11:14), Lydia was baptised with her household (Acts 16:15), the Philippian jailor was baptised with his household (Acts 16:33-34) and Stephanas was baptised with his household (1 Cor. 1:16).
I see no immersion there, maybe you will tell me now that they have bathtub and note that the bible said household in their home not river or stream etc.
Remember household those days includes father, mother, children (including adults, teenagers and infants if available) and slaves etc.
I am not against immersion but what am saying is that don’t talk about what you don’t know because you feel like talking and misinforming people.
Please do not rely your faith and Christianity on hearsay, endeavour to do read the bible, research and know more instead of putting your thoughts in default settings about anything catholic.
I am 10000000% Catholic
Thank you

3 Likes

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Bluesearoll(m): 6:21pm On Sep 25, 2016
DISCIPLES OF JESUS CHRIST ALSO BAPTIST PEOPLE AFTER JESUS HAS LEFT.......... Solve the rest yourself.....
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 6:21pm On Sep 25, 2016
Emecheboy2,

In each of those cases you mentioned, point out where the Bible says that they were baptized by sprinkling or indeed show me a single instance where somebody was baptized by sprinkling in the Bible.

You claim to be 1000000000% Catholic but you don't know the history of your church? Please try and read a little and you will discover how and when "baptism" by sprinkling started.

Thank you.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by CashVessel(m): 6:40pm On Sep 25, 2016
[quote author=Davidblen post=49651708] The Bible Says In Ephesians 1:7 That
" In Whom We Have Redemption Through His Blood, The Forgiveness Of Sins, According To Riches Of His Grace"
But Today Many Churches Have Adopted The Style Of Baptism For Salvation.It Is Either By Baptism By Water Or Baptism By Mansion (purification) But Christ Died For Our Sins On The Cross Of Calvary For Our Santification. To Me The Baptism Is Not Neccesary
Anybody Should Comment His/her Opinion[/quot

This isn't a matter of opinion, Jesus commanded we do it in Mark 16:16. It is done after repentance from sin and not before. Jesus was baptised Himself and when asked by John the Baptist why it was necessary, He said "to fulfill all righteousness" So my dear just fulfill all righteousness, so that when you get to heaven it won't be a case of you refused to baptise that will invalidate your ticket.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by benlay(m): 6:48pm On Sep 25, 2016
mccoy47:
No! Was Abraham baptized?

Please read Heb. 1: 1-2
Abraham did not need baptism bc God was dealing with people differently during Abraham's time but not He deals with us through His only begotten son.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by laikas: 6:52pm On Sep 25, 2016
ochedikevictor:

the bible made it clear dt dere is one baptism and all d baptism recorded in the bible is by immersion
so beware of false teachers as warned in the book of Timothy
yeah, we're on the same page.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by laikas: 6:54pm On Sep 25, 2016
Rockyrascal:
thanks. Are you a jeohovah witness?
No, I'm not. why do u ask.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by laikas: 7:00pm On Sep 25, 2016
Ioannes:

Lol. There's no part of the bible that says baptism is ONLY by immersion. undecided
Outside Holy Ghost Baptism, Pls Which other baptism does the bible talks about and bible verses pls. thanks.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Sep 25, 2016
laikas:

Outside Holy Ghost Baptism, Pls Which other baptism does the bible talks about and bible verses pls. thanks.

Youll have to define what you mean by Holy Ghost baptism, maybe then I'll be able to answer you accurately.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by laikas: 7:41pm On Sep 25, 2016
Ioannes:

Youll have to define what you mean by Holy Ghost baptism, maybe then I'll be able to answer you accurately.
Yhu were laughing like u knew it all, i asked a simple question and yhu can't even answer.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by tete7000(m): 7:43pm On Sep 25, 2016
DoctorAlien:

First of all, I want to say that baptism is very necessary if one must be identified as Christ's own. It is an indispensable ritual which signifies our death to sin, and our resurrection to newness of life.

There is only one way of baptism, and that is by immersion. The Catholic method of sprinkling or pouring is not baptism.

If you check the Bible, you can never see an instance of pouring or sprinkling water on someone in the name of baptism. Baptism has always been done by immersion, until the Catholic church polluted that most honourable ritual.

And if you study deep into baptism, you'll find out that the only method of baptism that illustrates all that baptism signifies is the method of immersion.

GOD bless you.

If you have any issue with catholic doctrine and your claim of attending baptism (which I believe is catechism class anyway) class is true, discuss with your catechist. If he you are not satisfied with his explanation, approach a priest. If at the end of the day you still have a differing opinion from theirs, stay away from the sacrament. The last time I checked it is not being imposed on anyone. I teach catechism myself and know what the rules are. You are free to approach churches who will immerse you. It is a free world.

1 Like

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Sep 25, 2016
laikas:

Yhu were laughing like u knew it all, i asked a simple question and yhu can't even answer.

I'm sorry, but you must have me confused with someone else.

You asked an ambiguous question and I asked you to clarify. After all, all manner of Christians these days translate portions of the bible the way that suits them.

Just wanted to be sure what you meant by Holy Ghost baptism.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Sep 25, 2016
OlamideGirl:
no......it is not a criteria cause if it is, den what did Jesus come to do den

Even d most common scripture john3:16 says for God so love the world that he gave us his only begotten son that who soever believes in him would not perish but have ever lasting life

meaning all we need to do is to believe which is the only criteria to SALVATION and ETERNAL LIFE

OlamideGirl, you are wrong.

All you need to do is not just believe and it isn't the only criterium. Your bible doesn't support that notion of yours either.

Baptism is what you need.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 7:52pm On Sep 25, 2016
tete7000:

If you have any issue with catholic doctrine and your claim of attending baptism (which I believe is catechism class anyway) class is true, discuss with your catechist. If he you are not satisfied with his explanation, approach a priest. If at the end of the day you still have a differing opinion from theirs, stay away from the sacrament. The last time I checked it is not being imposed on anyone. I teach catechism myself and know what the rules are. You are free to approach churches who will immerse you. It is a free world.

No. I don't need to discuss with any catechist or priest. I have the Bible. It is enough for me to know what the Bible says on a particular matter.

This is not about churches: this is about spreading the truth of the Word of GOD.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Sep 25, 2016
DoctorAlien:

First of all, I want to say that baptism is very necessary if one must be identified as Christ's own. It is an indispensable ritual which signifies our death to sin, and our resurrection to newness of life.

There is only one way of baptism, and that is by immersion. The Catholic method of sprinkling or pouring is not baptism.

If you check the Bible, you can never see an instance of pouring or sprinkling water on someone in the name of baptism. Baptism has always been done by immersion, until the Catholic church polluted that most honourable ritual.

And if you study deep into baptism, you'll find out that the only method of baptism that illustrates all that baptism signifies is the method of immersion.

GOD bless you.

Baptism by immersion and sprinkling and by blood are the ones recognized. This has always been the position of the Church until Martin Luther, the renegade Ex-Catholic priest came with his heretical doctrine of salvation by faith alone, sola fidei, which is unscriptural.

I'd rather believe an institution which has weathered the storm for 2000 years than believe one that just sprang up some few years ago. Wouldn't you?

2 Likes

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Sep 25, 2016
DoctorAlien:

No. I don't need to discuss with any catechist or priest. I have the Bible. It is enough for me to know what the Bible says on a particular matter.

This is not about churches: this is about spreading the truth of the Word of GOD.

"...spreading the truth of the Word of God"?

The truth according to your translation of the bible right? I'll pass thank you. smiley
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by tete7000(m): 8:01pm On Sep 25, 2016
DoctorAlien:

And when you already have the bible, why bother at all to attend the class? When you already have the bible and you know the truth why seek any opinion here at all? Why do you sound like anyone wants to force you take the church's baptism? You really sound confused. If you know the truth as you claim, just follow it and stop confusing yourself and others more. Stop seeking to condemn what the church teaches in a way of seeking opinion. No one I believe forced you to go to class, if the teaching unsettles you, stay away and do as you wish.

1 Like

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by laikas: 8:12pm On Sep 25, 2016
Ioannes:

I'm sorry, but you must have me confused with someone else.

You asked an ambiguous question and I asked you to clarify. After all, all manner of Christians these days translate portions of the bible the way that suits them.

Just wanted to be sure what you meant by Holy Ghost baptism.
yhu quoted me saying that there is no verse in the bible that says baptism is ONLY by immersion, so i asked yhu to pls tell me the other forms of baptism that the bible talks about outside Holy Ghost Baptism.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by noblefada: 8:15pm On Sep 25, 2016
Davidblen:
The Bible Says In Ephesians 1:7 That
" In Whom We Have Redemption Through His Blood, The Forgiveness Of Sins, According To Riches Of His Grace"
But Today Many Churches Have Adopted The Style Of Baptism For Salvation.It Is Either By Baptism By Water Or Baptism By Mansion (purification) But Christ Died For Our Sins On The Cross Of Calvary For Our Santification. To Me The Baptism Is Not Neccesary
Anybody Should Comment His/her Opinion

It's not always good to have half truths or not to be knowledgeable about things concerning the faith. So of rely on hearsay or half truths, if you're truly interested in knowing about Baptism, please go to web address www.livingworldmedia.org and download the message "Baptism and the Communion table", it is free of charge, it will tell you all you need to know and much more.

And for the records, Jesus Christ NEVER baptized anyone with WATER and did not ask anyone to!
"1Cor 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect".
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Sep 25, 2016
laikas:

yhu quoted me saying that there is no verse in the bible that says baptism is ONLY by immersion, so i asked yhu to pls tell me the other forms of baptism that the bible talks about outside Holy Ghost Baptism.

There's only one type of baptism.

Whether you perform the baptism by immersion or by sprinkling, it's still the same. Whether it's infant baptism or adult baptism, it's still the same baptism with the same result.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 8:28pm On Sep 25, 2016
Ioannes:

Baptism by immersion and sprinkling and by blood are the ones recognized. This has always been the position of the Church until Martin Luther, the renegade Ex-Catholic priest came with his heretical doctrine of salvation by faith alone, sola fidei, which is unscriptural.

I'd rather believe an institution which has weathered the storm for 2000 years than believe one that just sprang up some few years ago. Wouldn't you?

You can call Martin Luther whatever you want, but that does not change the fact that he was instrumental in exposing the catholic church for all to see. The catholic church practised paganism in the name of christianity, and hid the Bible from the people. Thank GOD for Martin Luther, the hero of protestantism.

The Just shall live by faith, okay? Sola Fide!

The Catholic church is not a Christian organization: it is a pagan organization. Virtually all they practise today have no root in the Bible.

Open your eyes!
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Ejiod(m): 8:30pm On Sep 25, 2016
Baptism is necessary! But the way some church go about it looks somehow.Just imagine after giving ur life to Christ,they ask u 2 go 4 classes b4 baptism.

1 Like

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 8:33pm On Sep 25, 2016
tete7000:

And when you already have the bible, why bother at all to attend the class? When you already have the bible and you know the truth why seek any opinion here at all? Why do you sound like anyone wants to force you take the church's baptism? You really sound confused. If you know the truth as you claim, just follow it and stop confusing yourself and others more. Stop seeking to condemn what the church teaches in a way of seeking opinion. No one I believe forced you to go to class, if the teaching unsettles you, stay away and do as you wish.

I'm not a Catholic, and I've been baptized. I attend no classes.

The Catholic church is not practising Christianity. She has perveted the teachings of Christ and propagated all sorts of damnable heresies in the name of GOD.

I'm not trying to condemn anybody, but I wish you'll open your eyes and see. The Catholic church teaches the commandments of men as doctrines, the same thing Jesus condemned in Matt. 15:9.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Amanwulu1(m): 8:33pm On Sep 25, 2016
eph12:

Is salvation necessary? Abraham never experienced salvation
what is salvation pls?
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Amaga(m): 8:35pm On Sep 25, 2016
DoctorAlien:

You can call Martin Luther whatever you want, but that does not change the fact that he was instrumental in exposing the catholic church for all to see. The catholic church practised paganism in the name of christianity, and hid the Bible from the people. Thank GOD for Martin Luther, the hero of protestantism.

The Catholic church is not a Christian organization: it is a pagan organization. Virtually all they practise today have no root in the Bible.

Open your eyes!

Why Catholic Church matter dey pain you like this?

2 Likes

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 8:39pm On Sep 25, 2016
Ioannes:

There's only one type of baptism.

Whether you perform the baptism by immersion or by sprinkling, it's still the same. Whether it's infant baptism or adult baptism, it's still the same baptism with the same result.

The word "baptism" is gotten from the Greek word "baptizo" which means to immerse, or submerge, especially in water. It follows then that the only method of baptism is by immersion, or else you're not doing baptism.

One criterion for baptizing an individual is that s/he must be taught Christ's commandments, and s/he must understand, and s/he must be willing to be baptized. Now, how can you teach an infant the Bible? Can the baby understand that Jesus is Lord? Did the baby give its consent to baptism?

Can you point out a single instance where someone was "baptized" by sprinkling in the Bible? Please, research on these things and find out for yourself.

1 Like

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by tete7000(m): 8:45pm On Sep 25, 2016
DoctorAlien:

I'm not a Catholic, and I've been baptized. I attend no classes.

The Catholic church is not practising Christianity. She has perveted the teachings of Christ and propagated all sorts of damnable heresies in the name of GOD.

I'm not trying to condemn anybody, but I wish you'll open your eyes and see. The Catholic church teaches the commandments of men as doctrines, the same thing Jesus condemned in Matt. 15:9.

Oga when I told you you are confused, you probably think I don't know what I was saying. You have been baptised, uhmm! What was that you posted then initially at the beginning of this post? You know the bible, and you want to teach me yet you don't know the scriptural stand on baptism. All-knowing you still come here to ask if baptism is necessary in christianity. Following you will be like following a blind man. Hope you know what Jesus say about following a blind? You have nothing to teach me about catholic church. You know nothing as far as I deduce from your post.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 8:47pm On Sep 25, 2016
Amaga:

Why Catholic Church matter dey pain you like this?

I'm actually pained that the Catholic Church is leading millions into hell. ALL her teachings are false and without biblical bases.

I'm grateful to GOD that we have the Bible, anyways. The Catholic church tried to hide the Bible from the people, so that she can hold absolute sway on matters of doctrine. She knows that should the people read the Bible, she'd be exposed. The church burned many copies of the Bible and killed the people that tried to translate the Bible from the obscure Latin to English and other languages; people like Tyndale and Luther. The Word of GOD is a lamp and a light(Psa. 119:105). It's entrance brings light and understanding(Psa. 119:130).

Thank GOD we have the Bible today, and that we have the opportunity to read and live our lives according to GOD's word, and not according to the traditions of men.

1 Like

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 8:49pm On Sep 25, 2016
tete7000:

Oga when I told you you are confused, you probably think I don't know what I was saying. You have been baptised, uhmm! What was that you posted then initially at the beginning of this post? You know the bible, and you want to teach me yet you don't know the scriptural stand on baptism. All-knowing you still come here to ask if baptism is necessary in christianity. Following you will be like following a blind man. Hope you know what Jesus say about following a blind? You have nothing to teach me about catholic church. You know nothing as far as I deduce from your post.

I'm not the OP grin Look well.

Open your eyes. Just try to read a little about your church and you'll be astonished.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Sep 25, 2016
DoctorAlien:

Open your eyes!

I know you're just faithfully relaying what you've been told by your pastors in bible school or something.

You may not know this, but protestantism is actually a form of heresy. Google is there. Use it. Better still, read the writings of the early Church Fathers.

The Catholic Church is a pagan organization according to you?

Then I wonder what you're doing quoting a book compiled by a pagan organization?

The just may live by faith, but nowhere does it state in the bible that justification or salvation is by faith ALONE.

I challenge you to bring out that verse. Take your time.

1 Like

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by tete7000(m): 8:51pm On Sep 25, 2016
DoctorAlien:

I'm not the OP grin Look well.

Open your eyes. Just try to read a little about your church and you'll be astonished.

There is nothing to be astonished about. I know well about the church and even teach the faith to others. It is ignorants like you that should come and learn.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Intimate Temptations, Christians How Do You Cope? / Christmas Carol Song "Silent Night" Celebrates 200 Years Anniversary / Barack Obama Gay Sex Scandal New Evidence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.