Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,717 members, 7,816,951 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:59 PM

Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? (14769 Views)

Mad Man 'healed' By Salvation Ministry Is Back To The Street - Freeze Reacts / Pastor Drowns While Conducting Baptism At Blood River Village In South Africa / Is Restitution Necessary For Repentance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 10:06pm On Sep 25, 2016
tete7000:

You want to begin teach me history of the bible again after I just showed you your knowledge of history is shallow? Oga, go and sleep. You have nothing to teach me. Good night.

Can you dispute any of the things I wrote? Did the Catholic church write the Bible? Did they not simply put the books together?

Good night. smiley
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by pr0blem: 10:09pm On Sep 25, 2016
Davidblen:
The Bible Says In Ephesians 1:7 That
" In Whom We Have Redemption Through His Blood, The Forgiveness Of Sins, According To Riches Of His Grace"
But Today Many Churches Have Adopted The Style Of Baptism For Salvation.It Is Either By Baptism By Water Or Baptism By Mansion (purification) But Christ Died For Our Sins On The Cross Of Calvary For Our Santification. To Me The Baptism Is Not Neccesary
Anybody Should Comment His/her Opinion

See, my guy... you'll definitely get loads of horse crap from the opinions of Christian Nairalanders.

Baptism pictures how we were co-buried together with Christ in his death; then it powerfully illustrates how in God’s mind we were co-raised with Christ into a new lifestyle.

Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. - Rom 6:4

Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him - Rom 6:8

One Lord, one faith, ONE BAPTISM - Eph 4:5

All of Mankind has been baptized in Christ Jesus. Tell the Others to go figure, whatever they are on about is called karamo.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 10:09pm On Sep 25, 2016
Ioannes:

Two things:

First I notice you conveniently sidestepped my question. No problem. It's still going to come back and bite you in the @ss soon enough.

Second, it's hilarious that you'd rather conclude that the Catholic Church was given the Holy Spirit to compile the books of the Scripture but weren't given the Holy Spirit to interpret it. Funny right?

So here's it again. Its either the Catholic Church has the Holy Spirit to compile the Bible in which case She also has the Holy Spirit to interpret it which means the Bible is authentic and true, OR

The Catholic Church doesnt have the Holy Spirit now, which means it didn't when it was compiling the Bible, which means we can't trust that the Bible is free from error.

Which one do you settle for. Those are the only options and I'm baffled at times that Protestants don't even think about it this way.

And I ask: why does the church practise what is contradictory to the Bible she compiled? Answer me.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 10:13pm On Sep 25, 2016
I wonder if this brother doesn't know that the Holy Spirit can leave when He is no longer welcome. grin
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by tete7000(m): 10:16pm On Sep 25, 2016
DoctorAlien:

Can you dispute any of the things I wrote? Did the Catholic church write the Bible? Did they not simply put the books together?

Good night. smiley

They put together books that were also written to some churches already in existence and you claim the church didn't exist before those compilation. Maybe you don't know what you called bible is a compilation. They determine books to compile. They held the books you claim they didn't believe in for over 1500yrs until martin luther came and revealed them to you. Before luther no truth you believed. All before luther were damned. Just go and sleep. I won't reply you again after this. Sleep well.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by bilulu(m): 10:16pm On Sep 25, 2016
HopeAlive14:
Baptism (identification with Christ's death and resurrection) is necessary after salvation.

Accepting Jesus Christ as your Saviour and Lord is what you need for Salvation.
Accepting Jesus Christ is a decision dat needs to b followed by baptism cuz Christ spelt it out dat without baptism no heaven....... dats y he led d way to Jordan
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Octaves(m): 10:20pm On Sep 25, 2016
a lot of ignorant Protestants in here pontificating on issues they have little knowledge about and criticising the catholic church. yet they keep copying. 20 years ago most protestant churches weren't even receiving communion. now its the norm. some even wear southan nowadays. the Catholic church is the Church founded by Jesus Christ himself and he bestowed a lot of powers on the church and gave Peter its first pope the 'keys to the kingdom of heaven' and charged him with taking care of his sheep. it's all in the Bible. some people think they can survive outside the church of Christ with their man made doctrines drawn from their own convenient interpretation of the Bible. good for you! but don't come criticizing the Church of Christ.
I'll tell you what. most of you claiming to be 'in line with what Jesus did' were baptized in a bathtub or a small pool. that's not where Jesus was baptized. u have to march right into a river for it to be properly done, using your logic.
the Catholic church is a repository of the teachings and traditions of both Jesus Christ and the apostles, untainted and preserved through the centuries.

1 Like

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 10:21pm On Sep 25, 2016
tete7000:

They put together books that were also written to some churches already in existence and you claim the church didn't exist before those compilation. Maybe you don't know what you called bible is a compilation. They determine books to compile. They held the books you claim they didn't believe in for over 1500yrs until martin luther came and revealed them to you. Before luther no truth you believed. All before luther were damned. Just go and sleep. I won't reply you again after this. Sleep well.

If I am correct, the organization called the catholic church came into existence after the bishop of rome was made the head of all churches by a pagan emperor.(LOL).

Don't try to make it look like the catholic church wrote the Bible.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by tete7000(m): 10:23pm On Sep 25, 2016
DoctorAlien:

If I am correct, the organization called the catholic church came into existence after the bishop of rome was made the head of all churches by a pagan emperor.(LOL).

Don't try to make it look like the catholic church wrote the Bible.

Mumu!
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 10:25pm On Sep 25, 2016
tete7000:

Mumu!
Good night. smiley
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Davidblen(m): 10:30pm On Sep 25, 2016
pr0blem:

See, my guy... you'll definitely get loads of horse crap from the opinions of Christian Nairalanders.

Baptism pictures how we were co-buried together with Christ in his death; then it powerfully illustrates how in God’s mind we were co-raised with Christ into a new lifestyle.

Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. - Rom 6:4

Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him - Rom 6:8

One Lord, one faith, ONE BAPTISM - Eph 4:5

All of Mankind has been baptized in Christ Jesus. Tell the Others to go figure, whatever they are on about is called karamo.
I Will Comment 2morow Gud Nyt
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 10:31pm On Sep 25, 2016
The writers of the Bible: Moses, Joshua, Samuel, Ezra, Nehemiah, David, Asaph, Solomon, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Nahum, Micah, Jonah, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, Peter and James and others were never catholics.

I don't know what authority the catholics claim to have over the Scriptures.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Sep 25, 2016
DoctorAlien:

And I ask: why does the church practise what is contradictory to the Bible she compiled? Answer me.

What does the church practice that is contradictory to the Bible? Give me one.

But then I guess what you want to be asking is why does the church practice what is contradictory to your own interpretation of the Bible?

So maybe you ought to rephrase the question.

1 Like

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Amaga(m): 11:37pm On Sep 25, 2016
DoctorAlien:

However, it tells us that the way the leads to destruction contains many people.

Don't ever misquote me: I have not condemned catholics. I have not said that all catholics will go to hell. There are people who are worshipping GOD in all sincerity according to the light they have in the catholic church. Jesus said that He has sheep in many other folds, and He must bring them out from the wrong folds, and unite them in obedience to Him.
I didn't misquote you. You said it yourself that the Catholic Church is leading millions to hell. You have no right to judge. That's my point. If you cannot accept that you were wrong for judging who goes to hell or not, how can you then accept to listen and learn?
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 11:37pm On Sep 25, 2016
Ioannes:

What does the church practice that is contradictory to the Bible? Give me one.

But then I guess what you want to be asking is why does the church practice what is contradictory to your own interpretation of the Bible?

So maybe you ought to rephrase the question.

1. Why do you not keep GOD's commandents and His Sabbath?

2. Why do you teach others to disregard GOD's commandments?
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 11:39pm On Sep 25, 2016
Amaga:

I didn't misquote you. You said it yourself that the Catholic Church is leading millions to hell. You have no right to judge. That's my point. If you cannot accept that you were wrong for judging who goes to hell or not, how can you then accept to listen and learn?

Yes. The catholic church is leading millions into hell. It's very sad.

However, I am not the one to decide who will make Heaven.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Amaga(m): 11:43pm On Sep 25, 2016
DoctorAlien:

Yes. The catholic church is leading millions into hell. It's very sad.

However, I am not the one to decide who will make Heaven.

You are funny. You are not the one to decide who will go to Heaven but you already know those being led to hell.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 11:46pm On Sep 25, 2016
Amaga:

You are funny. You are not the one to decide who will go to Heaven but you already know those being led to hell.

Anybody that makes you disobey GOD is trying to lead you into destruction. sad

1 Like

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 11:49pm On Sep 25, 2016
DoctorAlien:
The writers of the Bible: Moses, Joshua, Samuel, Ezra, Nehemiah, David, Asaph, Solomon, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Nahum, Micah, Jonah, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, Peter and James and others were never catholics.

I don't know what authority the catholics claim to have over the Scriptures.

Here, let me school you a bit.

You may not know that the word Bible is from a Greek word which means a collection of books.

The books of the old Testament alone span centuries, and that of the New testament span decades.

There were very very many books out there and it was left to the Church to select those which were Divinely inspired by the Holy Spirit.

There were some which people thought were inspired works like "the Shepherd of Hermas", "Letter of Barnabas" etc but didn't make it into the Bible.

And there were others which were thought not to be so inspiring like the songs of Solomon etc which actually made it into the Bible.

So who determined which books were inspired? The Catholic Church.

So whenever you pick up the Bible to read, thank God for the gift of His Holy Spirit working actively in the Catholic Church through which you have the word of God.

It's unfortunate that you'll still come around and tell us that that same Church is teaching contrary to the Bible it placed in your hands.

Irony of life right?
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 11:55pm On Sep 25, 2016
Ioannes,

The Catholic church may have compiled the Bible but surely she is practising what the same Bible describes as strange.

The Holy Spirit was with the church when she compiled the Bible, but was not with her when she was killing the saints of GOD like Jerome, Huss, Knox, Luther and Tyndale for practising the Bible.

The Holy Spirit can leave when He is no longer welcome.

By the way, the catholic church did not place the Bible in my hands. She actually tried all she could to hide it from me. But GOD, in His infinite mercy, through heroes like Wycliffe and Luther gave me the Bible. smiley
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Sep 25, 2016
DoctorAlien:

1. Why do you not keep GOD's commandents and His Sabbath?

2. Why do you teach others to disregard GOD's commandments?

I'm sorry.

If we are doing this then we have to do it properly.

I don't debate on issues based on beer parlor gist with no basis nor foundation.

If you say the Church doesn't keep God's commandments you have to be specific. Which commandments? There are ten of them you know.

As per keeping Sabbath, what do you mean? Please be specific.

And teaching others to disregard the commandments...?

Seems you really don't have anything. You're just throwing mud against the wall to see what sticks.

1 Like

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 12:00am On Sep 26, 2016
Ioannes:

I'm sorry.

If we are doing this then we have to do it properly.

I don't debate on issues based on beer parlor gist with no basis nor foundation.

If you say the Church doesn't keep God's commandments you have to be specific. Which commandments? There are ten of them you know.

As per keeping Sabbath, what do you mean? Please be specific.

And teaching others to disregard the commandments...?

Seems you really don't have anything. You're just throwing mud against the wall to see what sticks.

Fine. Since you now want to feign ignorance of what I'm talking about:

1. Why do you not keep the 10 Commandments of GOD and His Seventh-day weekly Sabbath?

2. Why do you teach others to disregard the 10 Commandments of GOD?
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Amaga(m): 12:00am On Sep 26, 2016
DoctorAlien:

Anybody that makes you disobey GOD is trying to lead you into destruction. sad

In that case, it would be more acceptable if you had said the Catholic Church is 'trying to' lead millions to hell. Rather you said the Church is 'leading' millions to hell. Do you see where you got it wrong?
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 12:05am On Sep 26, 2016
Amaga:

In that case, it would be more acceptable if you had said the Catholic Church is 'trying to' lead millions to hell. Rather you said the Church is 'leading' millions to hell. Do you see where you got it wrong?

Forgive my not-excellent command of the english language, but I'm saddened by the fact that the catholic church is hiding the truth from people and deceiving millions. Not only the catholic church, but also all other churches which teach and practise things contrary to the Bible. sad
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 12:05am On Sep 26, 2016
DoctorAlien:
Ioannes,

The Catholic church may have compiled the Bible but surely she is practising what the same Bible describes as strange.

The Holy Spirit was with the church when she compiled the Bible, but was not with her when she was killing the saints of GOD like Jerome, Huss, Knox, Luther and Tyndale for practising the Bible.

The Holy Spirit can leave when He is no longer welcome.

By the way, the catholic church did not place the Bible in my hands. She actually tried all she could to hide it from me. But GOD, in His infinite mercy, through heroes like Wycliffe and Luther gave me the Bible. smiley

The Holy Spirit can leave? You mean after Christ promised that he will be with his church until the end of time? And that the gates of hell shall never prevail against her?

Now you're accusing Jesus of being a liar who makes promises but never keeps it.

So what you're saying is Jesus abandoned his Church? His Bride? Hmmmm....

How did the Church try to hide the Bible from you? Did you go into the bookstore on your street and they refused to sell Bible to you? Lol.

Quit reading anti-Catholic books OK, and get your hands on some real (secular if you like) history about Christianity, the Church and the Bible.

Relying on anti-catholics for your information about the Church is like asking the devil to show you the way to heaven.

Its way past my bedtime. Thank you. I'm switching off now.

Have a good one.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 12:15am On Sep 26, 2016
Ioannes,

The catholic church slaughtered well over 50 million people during the dark ages for refusing to conform to her abominable practices. Surely the Holy Spirit was with her when she was doing this?

The Bride of Christ is not the catholic church. The catholic church is the adulterous woman of Revelation 17. (Read and understand). Many people think they will enter Heaven because of their church. Sadly, they'll be disappointed.

The Bride of Christ are those who keep the commandments of GOD and have the testimoney of Jesus Christ. (Rev. 12:17; 14:12).

GOD bless you.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 12:18am On Sep 26, 2016
DoctorAlien:

Fine. Since you now want to feign ignorance of what I'm talking about:

1. Why do you not keep the 10 Commandments of GOD and His Seventh-day weekly Sabbath?

2. Why do you teach others to disregard the 10 Commandments of GOD?

OK. My last one. (Couldn't resist. You're like a sitting duck in a barrel for me)

The Church shifted the day of Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday popularly known as the day of the Lord to honour the day he resurrected from the dead.

How can they do that? Because he gave them the power to. "What you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven..." remember?

2. Where and how does the Church teach others to disregard the commandments? Wait lemme guess, somebody told you right? Or worse you read it in a book somewhere.

How about you ask Catholics what they believe instead of asking anti-catholics what catholics believe.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 12:25am On Sep 26, 2016
Ioannes:

OK. My last one. (Couldn't resist. You're like a sitting duck in a barrel for me)

The Church shifted the day of Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday popularly known as the day of the Lord to honour the day he resurrected from the dead.

How can they do that? Because he gave them the power to. "What you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven..." remember?

2. Where and how does the Church teach others to disregard the commandments? Wait lemme guess, somebody told you right? Or worse you read it in a book somewhere.

How about you ask Catholics what they believe instead of asking anti-catholics what catholics believe.

"My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips." Psa. 89:34. GOD spake the 10 Commandments (Exod. 20:1). Who told you that anybody can change His words?

Do you know anything about covenants and ratification?
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 12:29am On Sep 26, 2016
Ioannes:

Compare this statement you made with Dan. 7:25. Who do you think that verse is talking about?

The catholic church adopted Sunday as a day of worship in conformity with paganism. Forget the lies they tell you that it was done in honour of Christ's resurrection(which He didn't tell us to do). Emperor Constantine wormed his way into the church and made Sunday a mandatory day of rest in honour of the sun god. Read please.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by martin98(m): 1:28am On Sep 26, 2016
DoctorAlien:

First of all, I want to say that baptism is very necessary if one must be identified as Christ's own. It is an indispensable ritual which signifies our death to sin, and our resurrection to newness of life.

There is only one way of baptism, and that is by immersion. The Catholic method of sprinkling or pouring is not baptism.

If you check the Bible, you can never see an instance of pouring or sprinkling water on someone in the name of baptism. Baptism has always been done by immersion, until the Catholic church polluted that most honourable ritual.

And if you study deep into baptism, you'll find out that the only method of baptism that illustrates all that baptism signifies is the method of immersion.

GOD bless you.
First of all, the Catholic Church also baptise by immersion. The Catholic Church baptise in three ways. By immersion, by sprinkling and by pouring.
To your point about baptism only by immersion, take a look at the baptism of the jailer and his household in the night. How could they have possibly baptise by immersion at that time.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by martin98(m): 1:37am On Sep 26, 2016
esherizdan:
Wen u want to bury a person u dnt sprinkle sand rather d person is covered with sand
Baptism is by immersion signifying d death,burial and resurrection of d lord Jesus Christ
Wen u baptize u put on christ
3rdly baptism is in d name of d Lord Jesus Christ. Not in d tittles of God the father,son and Holyspirit. The title God bears for the purpose of salvation is Jesus.Jesus means Jehovah saves/Savior.Jesus is the name God bears and gave His son;John 5:43,17:11.The name God came with as the Holyspirit is Jesus;John 14:26.The disciples/apostles of Jesus Christ understood that the name the name of the father ,of the son and of the Holyghost is Jesus that is why they did baptize in the name of Lord Jesus Christ instead in the name of 3 offices of God as in father, son and Holyghost;Matt28:19,Acts19:5,8:16,.Jesus is the name of our salvation, and we are commanded to do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ col3:17,Lk24:47
None of d apostles baptize in titles of father, son and Holyghost. In obeying d command DAT Jesus gave in Matthew 28:19 they all baptize in d name of d lord Jesus Christ because DAT is d name of God d father,son and Holyghost Well some pple will say its d same thing but I tell its not.
Colosian3:17 says And whatsoever ye do in word or deed.do all in the name of d Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and d father by him
We cast out demons in Jesus name ,we heal in DAT name,we pray in DAT name,we dedicate in DAT name.
Matthew 28:19
Go ye and make disciples of all nations, baptise them in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by driy65(m): 1:53am On Sep 26, 2016
I don't know why protestant and pentecostal on nairaland like robbing in catholics in any discussion....a church dat has existed 4 two thousand yrs with over 1.3 billion members..??..y dnt u build up your faith and stop rubbin your frustrations on catholics ??...na envy go finish una..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Kuwaiti Royal Prince, Abdullah Al-sabah Declares His Faith In Jesus Christ / Nwobodo wasn't a Faithful Anglican, PDP to APC wont save him– Bishop Chukwuma / Intimate Temptations, Christians How Do You Cope?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.