Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,889 members, 7,817,614 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:34 PM

PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale (6502 Views)

Fuel Scarcity: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike / Fresh Fuel Crisis Looms As PENGASSAN Threatens Strike / PENGASSAN Threatens To Shut Down Oil Sector In Seven Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by dipoolowoo: 7:41pm On Sep 25, 2016
By Ebitonye Akpodigha

The ‎Federal Government has been warned not to sell off any of the national assets as being planned.

If the government fails to heed to this call and goes ahead with the alleged plot, then it should be ready for a big showdown.

This threat was issued by one of the major associations in the oil sector in Nigeria, the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN).

In a statement issued on Sunday in Lagos by its Public Relations’ Officer, Mr Emmanuel Ojugbana, PENGASSAN warned that it would be forced to go on strike, crippling the oil sector, if the FG sells any of the national belongings, including the Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas (NLNG) and the three refineries in Kaduna, Warri (Delta State) and Port Harcourt (Rivers State).

Mr Ojugbana stressed that these assets should not be sold in the interest of Nigerians.

The FG is planning to sell the properties to raise funds to revive the economy, which has dipped into recession.

The suggestion for the sale of the assets was first given by Mr Aliko Dangote in an interview with CNBC Africa and was later backed by the Senate.

But Mr Ojugbana described the move as unpatriotic, warning that it would further plunged Nigeria into crisis.

“We will not watch our national assets sold, especially those in the oil and gas industry such as NLNG that has become a huge revenue earner for Nigeria; refineries and shares in the upstream oil and gas JV operations.

“Any attempt to sell these assets will be resisted as PENGASSAN will ensure that every activity in the oil and gas sector is brought to a halt,” he said in the statement made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).

PENGASSAN urged the federal, state and local governments to generate money elsewhere to revive the economy and not sell any of the assets belonging to all Nigerians.

He argued that these assets had been generating revenue and would still generate revenue for the country.

Mr Ojugbana claimed that the planned sale was ill-timed, unwarranted and would not serve national interest, pointing out that no nation could develop, survive or feel secure after selling all national assets.

He said selling the properties would further mortgage the future of the country in the hands of few who could take advantage of it to loot the country’s wealth.

www.businesspost.ng/2016/09/25/pengassan-threatens-strike-assets-sale/

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by id911(m): 7:45pm On Sep 25, 2016
Immediately i saw the interview where Dangote mentioned the sale of Nigeria's stakes in NLNG and JV with IOCs, i new he's the greatest enemy of Nigeria. How can you sell your performing and productive assets? Are you sure these people are ok?

You can sell unproductive assets like refineries and the likes, no problem and Government has no business running airports. They can concession all the airports and seaports and make billions of dollars but why nlng and jv assets? What type of country is this?

And by the way, the country is in recesssion. Why is there no policy shift or statement and drastic measures from the govt like increase in tax for the rich and reducing public spending from recurrent expenditure esp from the ridiculous allowances of elected and appointed officials to help the economy. Do these people really understand the direction of our economic projectile?

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by Cutehector(m): 7:45pm On Sep 25, 2016
Lmao.. Pengassan warned the federal government not to sell any of the nation's assets as it belongs to Nigerians. grin

Best joke ever.

2 Likes

Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by lovedatruth(m): 7:54pm On Sep 25, 2016
Greedy n selfish people. As much as I'm not in support of selling national assets, the only ones Pengassan are interested to protect from been sold, are the oil assets. They don't av the interest of the country at heart, since the least of them earn close to a million naira every month. Pengassan my foot.

1 Like

Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by Nobody: 7:58pm On Sep 25, 2016
Does NASS have a say in this sale of assets?
Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by nony43(m): 7:30am On Sep 26, 2016
Me, I feel that those pushing for the sell of our assets will bring potential buyers by themselves, and after that they will have a cut from it

3 Likes

Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by Femich18(m): 7:31am On Sep 26, 2016
lovedatruth:
Greedy n selfish people. As much as I'm not in support of selling national assets, the only ones Pengassan are interested to protect from been sold, are the oil assets. They don't av the interest of the country at heart, since the least of them earn close to a million naira every month. Pengassan my foot.
Gbam

1 Like

Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by Toeyoursea(m): 7:31am On Sep 26, 2016
PENGASAN darling kiss

1 Like

Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by StepTwo: 7:31am On Sep 26, 2016
Dangote, just suggest the sale of Nigeria rather.

i wonder how some members of the NASS bought intothis without a 2nd thought.

5 Likes

Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by RichYoungNigger(m): 7:32am On Sep 26, 2016
Sell everything including the country, let's all die and go rest

This thing don tire me

4 Likes

Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by Opistorincos(m): 7:32am On Sep 26, 2016
Issokai
Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by Toeyoursea(m): 7:33am On Sep 26, 2016
Nlc warned government against removal of fuel subsidy and now PENGASAN warns against sale of assets.

Why are our comrades always against the best interest of the masses.

Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by iyobs7(f): 7:33am On Sep 26, 2016
I have little or no respect for Dangote because his wealth was gotten from his association with the big guns in Nigerian politics.

2 Likes

Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by OlujobaSamuel: 7:42am On Sep 26, 2016
yes oooo, abeg shutdown everything if they should go ahead with it as planned, why not commercialized the stadium, national theatre, and others, why sell oil that can boom tomorrow to one person that will just sit doing nothing and income drops in like rainfall, sell assests that invovles real daily trading activities, not the nlng or jv

2 Likes

Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by mrjojo: 7:53am On Sep 26, 2016
This self centered group of people, they are just looking out for their own self, not the public. And selling this infrastructures will only help the economy/government for the main time not for the long run.
Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by osahonmk(m): 7:55am On Sep 26, 2016
Why wouldnt they strike when they know all dere lazy work attitude would cease once its in the hand of the private guys. I concur we sell the refineries because for the pass 20 years what has the refineries contributed to the economy NOTHING...instead it has acted as a means to siphon billion of dollars in way of maintenance, repairs and contracts all to no avail.... We need a change in our philosophy lets take a look at the telecommunication sector now.... its excelling very well... assuming we had a bureaucratic NITEL... we would have been having 1GB FOR N10, 000 now.... so lets sell the dead scrap refineries let the private guys manage it cause our govt managed companies are wasting.... but lets till retain NLNG cuz its managed more like a private firm and its profitable.

Once again Good Morning my Fellow Nairalanders and have a wonderful fulfilled week.

Cheers

4 Likes

Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by Izonpikin: 7:56am On Sep 26, 2016
id911:
Immediately i saw the interview where Dangote mentioned the sale of Nigeria's stakes in NLNG and JV with IOCs, i new he's the greatest enemy of Nigeria. How can you sell your performing and productive assets? Are you sure these people are ok?

You can sell unproductive assets like refineries and the likes, no problem and Government has no business running airports. They can concession all the airports and seaports and make billions of dollars but why nlng and jv assets? What type of country is this?

And by the way, the country is in recesssion. Why is there no policy shift or statement and drastic measures from the govt like increase in tax for the rich and reducing public spending from recurrent expenditure esp from the ridiculous allowances of elected and appointed officials to help the economy. Do these people really understand the direction of our economic projectile?
they dont care..but i tell you this might be the wall that buhari will hit and never remain the same..all eyes are open now..deals like this would be hardly fought against by the masses and other stakeholders..the niger delta too is there to contend with...

2 Likes

Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by Nobody: 7:59am On Sep 26, 2016
PENGASSAN protecting their selfish interests as always. They want keep enjoying lax monitoring and control. If the assets are sold, they will still be operating to serve Nigerians and these people would not be threatening to strike at every inconvenient turn to cause us more hardship. The first step towards deregulation as already been taken by stopping subsidy, this impacts the masses even more.

1 Like

Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by greatwhite(m): 8:01am On Sep 26, 2016
The only thing that needs to be sold is the presidency and national assembly. The sale alone can reverse recession.

As for PENGASAN they are only working for their pocket. They have very little value to the nigerian masses. Their real aim is to make fuel N200 per liter.

1 Like

Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by buchilino(m): 8:24am On Sep 26, 2016
D ONLY THING DAT CONSOLES ME THESE DAYS IS MY GOD. I HAVE LOST FAITH IN HUMANITY. IT'S LIKE HUMANITY IS BEING GOVERNED BY REPROBATE MINDED PPLE. IT'S ALL ABOUT INTERESTS N PERSONAL GAINS. D FUTURE SEEMS VERY BLINK. MAY GOD HAVE MERCY.

2 Likes

Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by hadura29(m): 8:29am On Sep 26, 2016
Don't they have any other weapon than strike? Abegi...
Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by chidiandre(m): 8:37am On Sep 26, 2016
like I said Nigerians are the cause of their own problem... there's a solution to help us...moronic people are against it....
Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by ogahope(m): 8:49am On Sep 26, 2016
GEJ spoke as a prophet when he said 'two tins are before you Nigerians d choice of voting to go forward nd backward. the prophesy is now clear. Which Way Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by HomeOfMe(f): 8:49am On Sep 26, 2016
dipoolowoo:
By Ebitonye Akpodigha

The ‎Federal Government has been warned not to sell off any of the national assets as being planned.

If the government fails to heed to this call and goes ahead with the alleged plot, then it should be ready for a big showdown.

This threat was issued by one of the major associations in the oil sector in Nigeria, the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN).

In a statement issued on Sunday in Lagos by its Public Relations’ Officer, Mr Emmanuel Ojugbana, PENGASSAN warned that it would be forced to go on strike, crippling the oil sector, if the FG sells any of the national belongings, including the Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas (NLNG) and the three refineries in Kaduna, Warri (Delta State) and Port Harcourt (Rivers State).

Mr Ojugbana stressed that these assets should not be sold in the interest of Nigerians.

The FG is planning to sell the properties to raise funds to revive the economy, which has dipped into recession.

The suggestion for the sale of the assets was first given by Mr Aliko Dangote in an interview with CNBC Africa and was later backed by the Senate.

But Mr Ojugbana described the move as unpatriotic, warning that it would further plunged Nigeria into crisis.

“We will not watch our national assets sold, especially those in the oil and gas industry such as NLNG that has become a huge revenue earner for Nigeria; refineries and shares in the upstream oil and gas JV operations.

“Any attempt to sell these assets will be resisted as PENGASSAN will ensure that every activity in the oil and gas sector is brought to a halt,” he said in the statement made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).

PENGASSAN urged the federal, state and local governments to generate money elsewhere to revive the economy and not sell any of the assets belonging to all Nigerians.

He argued that these assets had been generating revenue and would still generate revenue for the country.

Mr Ojugbana claimed that the planned sale was ill-timed, unwarranted and would not serve national interest, pointing out that no nation could develop, survive or feel secure after selling all national assets.

He said selling the properties would further mortgage the future of the country in the hands of few who could take advantage of it to loot the country’s wealth.

www.businesspost.ng/2016/09/25/pengassan-threatens-strike-assets-sale/
Dangote wants to have Nigeria at the palm of his hands-bury the nation finally!

1 Like

Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by geostrata(m): 8:51am On Sep 26, 2016
angry angry

FOOLISH BEGASSAN....dem go make mouth finish, last last na bribe dem go collect!
Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by HomeOfMe(f): 8:57am On Sep 26, 2016
osahonmk:
Why wouldnt they strike when they know all dere lazy work attitude would cease once its in the hand of the private guys. I concur we sell the refineries because for the pass 20 years what has the refineries contributed to the economy NOTHING...instead it has acted as a means to siphon billion of dollars in way of maintenance, repairs and contracts all to no avail.... We need a change in our philosophy lets take a look at the telecommunication sector now.... its excelling very well... assuming we had a bureaucratic NITEL... we would have been having 1GB FOR N10, 000 now.... so lets sell the dead scrap refineries let the private guys manage it cause our govt managed companies are wasting.... but lets till retain NLNG cuz its managed more like a private firm and its profitable.

Once again Good Morning my Fellow Nairalanders and have a wonderful fulfilled week.

Cheers
But the PHCN that was sold a few years ago,what has come out of it? Just asking...

2 Likes

Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by Dreal11247: 9:09am On Sep 26, 2016
nony43:
Me, I feel that those pushing for the sell of our assets will bring potential buyers by themselves, and after that they will have a cut from it
Just as we are buying cement at an exorbitant price, they want us to be buying petrol at a very high rate too. God will surely deliver us.

1 Like

Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by Nobody: 9:32am On Sep 26, 2016
What nonsense this pengassan guys are just stupid, FGN owns the refineries and can sell it anytime, it just like a man who has a car but is to broke to buy food to eat, talkless of fuel for the car. I will sell my car to survive. Let even face reality those refineries are hopless, they hv never been good since i remember. Everytime they are doing turn around maintenance if not turn around maintenance, naija delta has bomb the pipe supplying them oil. Perhaps if its enters private hand they will revitalise them. I do not support the sale of NLNG, but i am a 100 percent in support of the sales of the damn refeneries. The refineries carry too much headache from the obselete parts. They should hv reached their end of life self. I dont even think any wise investor will buy them sef. considering the insecurity in the naija delta, those crazy militant can bomb the refeneries or even kidnapp the staff of the refineries. FGN should grab any opportunty for sale and let face reality its a win win for FGN, cos no man will invest billions of dollars in a refinery without strategising how to make recoup his capital and while recouping his capital save us from those criminals(IPMAN and petrol importers). My only prayer now is for the sale process to be transparent, let politics not enter the whole thing like the sale of Nepa, where the likes of abdulsalam, elumelu and co got the deals. These shitty guys didnt hv the money they went to borrow from banks in naija, they didnt even have the expertise now they always want to jack up the cost of electricity tarrif. let genuine investor who own refineries and who have the monies and are capable to the one to get the deal.

As for Pengassen, thunder fire una! we have had enough of your bullshit

And nobody shd nt bring that local content crap, we need people with skills and real dollars.

2 Likes

Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by Patode: 9:47am On Sep 26, 2016
PENGASSAN can go on strike. The FGN should invoke "NO WORK NO PAY" When union call their workers out on strike, they should be responsible to pay the workers STRIKE PAY.

1 Like

Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by vascey(m): 9:55am On Sep 26, 2016
Thank you PENGASSAN.

Our criminal government is willing to mortgage the future of Nigerians to finance a nefarious and fraudulent budget. They are willing to sell this country off to the highest bidder in the name of reviving the economy. How Sad! While companies and countries affected by this recession are cutting their extravagant costs and seeking new ways for revenue, our thieving government wants to continue their extravagance by selling off assets they did not provide. These bunch of criminals are willing to do anything to continue the extravagant lifestyles they feel entitled to- from the billions paid to lazy NASS members to our useless and clueless executives; from paying 5bn NGN for airfleet maintenance in 1 year to spending over 900m NGN (not factoring in loss due to exchange difference) on website update.

And nobody is talking except PENGASSAN. Thank you PENGASSAN.

This is the moment to rise up. After spending money gotten from the sale of assets, these demons will come for you and I. They will double our PAYE Tax, they will double VAT, they will introduce tax on data and telecommunication services. All for what? To maintain their ridiculous spending spree. These bunch of hopeless politicians and legislators mean no good for this country (already in progress). From the shameless thieving PDP (Patience Jonathan & Co.) to the clueless, confused and corruption ridden APC leadership. They are all useless. If the interest of the government is to raise funds, why are they not considering these companies going public? Why not sell their shares to the general public so that every Nigerian can have the opportunity to have ownership in our national assets? Instead they want to sell our assets to their cronies. What is this if not corruption? At least, the PDP people stole and yet left the assets behind. This administration wants to strip us naked. They want to sell this country. So after they have financed this budget, where will the funding for the next budget come from? Slavery?

Not to talk of the budget. In the best of times, at the height of crude oil price, our budget never surpassed 4+ Trn NGN. Yet these incompetent executive prepared and approved a budget of over 6 Trn NGN. When discerning minds asked how they intend to fund the budget, they mentioned TSA savings, funds seized from corrupt politicians and all what not. Right now they are trying to sell our assets to their friends.

God Help Us. No! We need to help ourselves. We need to take to the streets. I will rather have this country burnt down than let these thieves get away with this broad day light thievery. For those of you that want to play politics with this, just remember, after chopping this money, they will come for you and I. They will come for our kids and they will sell us into slavery. Imagine paying 50% income tax so that Buhari can maintain a fleet of presidential jets, ride in a 100 car motorcade, government officials can get 1000 USD as estacode (over 100 went to UNGA. Do the math). THEY WILL COME FOR US!! AFTER SPENDING THIS, THEY WILL COME FOR US. THE TIME TO CUT COSTS IS NOW!!.

Before thinking of selling National Assets, government must first demonstrate they have cut off all excesses. The legislathieves must reduce their salaries and allowances. They should be paid just like civil servants. If you do not want to serve, go! IT IS PUBLIC SERVICE NOT PUBLIC RIPOFF. States must explore all avenues to generate funds internally and stop making stupid appointments like "Special Assistant on Traffic Lights". WTF!!

I am mad. I am angry. And I will be on the streets. I cannot take this.

You should be mad too. If you don't stand for anything, you will fall for everything.

If you take this sitting down, you, your wives, your mothers and your children will be sold into slavery and you go dey look. The time to resist is now.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by vascey(m): 10:03am On Sep 26, 2016
RaggedyAnn:
PENGASSAN protecting their selfish interests as always. They want keep enjoying lax monitoring and control. If the assets are sold, they will still be operating to serve Nigerians and these people would not be threatening to strike at every inconvenient turn to cause us more hardship. The first step towards deregulation as already been taken by stopping subsidy, this impacts the masses even more.

It is a union operating across private and government owned companies. They will not stop operating even if the assets are all sold off.
What they are doing now is anything but selfish. I am not a member but they are taking a stand when every other person, our representatives, our governors have all been compromised. Nigerians should encourage them because right now they are standing for Nigerians.

In the past, NLC would champion this, NANS would stand firm and great, civil societies would stand for the people, CAN would speak up etc. Right now, all I see is PENGASSAN standing alone where everybody else should be standing. When I say stand, I don't mean "just talking", like several people have done. NO! I mean threatening the government with a shut down of the country like #OccupyNigeria. If there was ever a time to strike, carry placards, hit the streets, shut down this country, it is now.

And PENGASSAN is leading that charge.
Re: PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale by vascey(m): 10:16am On Sep 26, 2016
overcomer123:
What nonsense this pengassan guys are just stupid, FGN owns the refineries and can sell it anytime, it just like a man who has a car but is to broke to buy food to eat, talkless of fuel for the car. I will sell my car to survive. Let even face reality those refineries are hopless, they hv never been good since i remember. Everytime they are doing turn around maintenance if not turn around maintenance, naija delta has bomb the pipe supplying them oil. Perhaps if its enters private hand they will revitalise them. I do not support the sale of NLNG, but i am a 100 percent in support of the sales of the damn refeneries. The refineries carry too much headache from the obselete parts. They should hv reached their end of life self. I dont even think any wise investor will buy them sef. considering the insecurity in the naija delta, those crazy militant can bomb the refeneries or even kidnapp the staff of the refineries. FGN should grab any opportunty for sale and let face reality its a win win for FGN, cos no man will invest billions of dollars in a refinery without strategising how to make recoup his capital and while recouping his capital save us from those criminals(IPMAN and petrol importers). My only prayer now is for the sale process to be transparent, let politics not enter the whole thing like the sale of Nepa, where the likes of abdulsalam, elumelu and co got the deals. These shitty guys didnt hv the money they went to borrow from banks in naija, they didnt even have the expertise now they always want to jack up the cost of electricity tarrif. let genuine investor who own refineries and who have the monies and are capable to the one to get the deal.

As for Pengassen, thunder fire una! we have had enough of your bullshit

And nobody shd bring that local content crap, we need people with skills and real dollars.

My brother, the FGN doesn't own anything, the Nigerian people do. When talking about these assets, the main ones are the JVs and NLNG shares. Again, which person in their right senses sells the geese that lays the golden egg? 5bn NGN has been spent maintaining private jets in the past one year. How much has the centre spent on agriculture? How many tractors have they purchased and how many agro-support centres have they built? Tell Me! What incentives and palliatives have the FGN put in place to diversify the economy to an agro-based economy? What percentage of this budget they are so keen on funding is for capital projects? How much of those projects will trickle down to the common man? When I say capital projects I don't mean cars, computers and buildings; I mean schools, hospital facilities, roads in rural communities, irrigation for farmers etc And this is the same budget you want to finance by selling off national assets and concessioning the f*@k out of our lives. You think transport cost is expensive. Wait till our roads are concessioned and airports also. All this for what? for what?? So that government officials can live large and be chilling.

They speak for us. You should speak up too.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

BREAKING: Orji Kalu Seals Major Oil Deal With Venezuelan Govt (photos) / Slyva: Fuel Subsidy Removal Date Will Be Announced Very Soon / Convention: APC Battles Consensus Crisis As Buhari, Governors Meet Tuesday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.