Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You (5875 Views)

Buhari Deploys Service Chiefs To Niger Delta Over Rising Militancy. / Children Welcome President Buhari To Niger Republic In Style (photo) / Lagosians,Mention The Areas Where Fashola Failed You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by ono(m): 10:32pm On Oct 17, 2009
Pro Anti:

If it is the NDDC states, then fmr Gov. Agagu, Gov. Mimiko, Gov. Ohakim and Gov. Orji should be ready to respond to Bankole.

Thumbs up!
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by proproman(m): 11:28am On Oct 18, 2009
@Kobojunkie, not meaning any insult but, are you in the country at all or have you been here recently? Your opinion that the Niger Delta leaders should shoulder 90% of the blame (because that is what your posts have illustrated so far) is quite wrong. Here's how. If you've been in the country, you'll definitely know this. Finger pointing is very much part of Nigerian politics as New York is part of the United States. When fingers are pointed in Nigerians politics, it is not for truth but to take suspicion away from self. Bankole spoke the truth but he was insincere and economical with it. Is the Federal government not to blame as well for the problems in the Niger Delta? You may argue that the same can be said about other states but since the focus is on the Niger Delta, the question remains. Know this if you've not realised it yet. If the Federal government sat up to it's responsibility, more than half the problems in all the states in the country would be solved. Most of the major roads in all states of the federation are in the purview of the FG. It is also it's responsibility to provide security as the Nigerian police is overseen by a federal agency. There are Federal schools in more or less all the states, federal hospitals, power supply from a national grid overseen by an FG appointed board, etc. If I continue, i wouldn't be able to list it all. If the FG can fix their infrastructure in all the states they can then start pointing fingers at the state and regional leaders if things remain the same. If Bankole was really interested in speaking the truth, he should as well have mentioned the FG's part of the blame. He even criticised the FG without meaning to. He said that Lagos has witnessed so much development because of good governance meaning that the Niger Delta's lack of development is due to bad governance. What then would he say of the whole country that has witnessed next to no development under the Yar'Adua administration? Terrible governance? If he wanted to speak the truth, he should have spoken the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth not this half baked truth.
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by Kobojunkie: 3:27pm On Oct 18, 2009
proproman:

@Kobojunkie, not meaning any insult but, are you in the country at all or have you been here recently?
Lol. . . . I have no clue what the above has to do with reality of things for Nigeria but to indulge you, YES I have and I am going back real soon to continue business negotiations down in Nigeria in a month or two.

proproman:

Your opinion that the Niger Delta leaders should shoulder 90% of the blame (because that is what your posts have illustrated so far) is quite wrong. Here's how. If you've been in the country, you'll definitely know this. Finger pointing is very much part of Nigerian politics as New York is part of the United States.

Telling me my opinion is wrong is one thing , but then following it with finger pointing being a part of Nigerian pointing makes me wonder if you have any clue what you mean above. Finger pointing is a PART OF POLITICS no matter where you are. Even where I work, it happens. You just need to understand, as a boss, or people, whose really to blame and make sure that person is made an example so next time you get better results. Finger pointing is NOT unique to Nigerian politics and is certainly a part of politics everywhere in the world.

proproman:

When fingers are pointed in Nigerians politics, it is not for truth but to take suspicion away from self.
That would sum up the reason why people, anywhere in the world would jump to finger point in the first place. IT has nothing to do with JUST Nigeria. It is everywhere. If I point a finger my co-worker as the one at fault for the failure of a project, I am trying to do so, not necessarily for truth but mainly to shift blame from self to my co-worker. So, please let us put things in the right perspective here.

proproman:

Bankole spoke the truth but he was insincere and economical with it.
Bankole is not a saint in Nigerian politics that anyone should take his words as truth. Just as you would sift the words of any other person, you would do same with the words of the man Bankole and take what you can from it that will help you better yourself, while you let him take the blame for the lies he mixed in. Simple!!!
I am glad you at least admit he spoke some truth and on this issue, that is what should matter for now to the people.

proproman:

Is the Federal government not to blame as well for the problems in the Niger Delta? You may argue that the same can be said about other states but since the focus is on the Niger Delta, the question remains. Know this if you've not realised it yet. If the Federal government sat up to it's responsibility, more than half the problems in all the states in the country would be solved.

The Federal government has essentially been comatose for almost 3 decades now. Each state has come to realize it is essentially on its own up to this moment. During that time we have seen states try over and over to lift itself up but due to corruption and indiscipline at the state level, that has failed till now. Now, we have states that have accepted that fixing the federal which is at the national level is NOT to be priority but dealing with issues at the state level is the best place to start.
Continuing to sing the “FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS TO BLAME FOR WHY MY BACKYARD REMAINS THE VILLAGE SQUARE OF HELL” song even after 30 years of knowing that the federal government is likely not to move anytime soon, only shows the singer a fool. If after 30 years, all people can continue to do is blame the federal government where they have little power or influence at THIS PARTICULAR POINT IN TIME only shows the people in question are probably not ready for change themselves.

proproman:

Most of the major roads in all states of the federation are in the purview of the FG. It is also it's responsibility to provide security as the Nigerian police is overseen by a federal agency. There are Federal schools in more or less all the states, federal hospitals, power supply from a national grid overseen by an FG appointed board, etc.
It seems the latest trend is to claim most all things bad in states are FG property. I have myself decided to sort of table all Federal roads, schools, hospitals, etc to help get people to figure out that is not the case. States like Lagos, Imo, Enugu, Rivers etc have taken it on themselves to fix many of the state roads, construct new roads to help the people commute smoothly even with the state of the many federal roads in the state.
Even with the state of federal schools, there are now hundreds more non-federal schools that are managed by private individuals and groups and even state, to provide the service that the federal schools in the state have refused to provide. There are state hospitals to fill in the gap created by the federal hospitals etc.

Now, if after 30 years of federal nonsense you continue to blame it all on the federal government, what should we say of those who have found other ways around the federal problem?

proproman:

If I continue, i wouldn't be able to list it all. If the FG can fix their infrastructure in all the states they can then start pointing fingers at the state and regional leaders if things remain the same.

Again, I have to restate that finger pointing is not UNIQUE to Nigerian politics or politicians. And so is PLAYING THE VICTIM CARD over and over.

proproman:

If Bankole was really interested in speaking the truth, he should as well have mentioned the FG's part of the blame. He even criticised the FG without meaning to. He said that Lagos has witnessed so much development because of good governance meaning that the Niger Delta's lack of development is due to bad governance.

What Bankole has done is essentially give the ND what it requested --National attention. He did not say he is INTERESTED IN SPEAKING THE TRUTH. ND states (people) demanded attention to their issue and this is part of what you get when you do that. I expected people welcome this development and make sure the debate does not end by offering up meaningful rebuttals, at the same time acknowledging the valid points made.

Yes, ND issues did not start YESTERDAY, and YES, ND States have had bad governments in the past and possibly present ones are not as good as they ought to be. Are they now more accountable? Have you made sure of that personally (assuming you are also from one of those states yourself)? Do you know for sure that every single kobo of the money that your state gets is being spent to better the state and to the benefit of the people? Or are we waiting for the governors to leave office and then decide then, maybe after we hear of missing money and more to decide?

Just so you know, most all states have no accountability measures in place. In Lagos, Lagosians are not actually looking through the records to spot any problems in large numbers as well. If you ask, many will state that since roads are being constructed, and new properties going up each day, it is sign that Fashola government is not corrupt but that is not necessarily true. Since we are not on Lagos now but on ND, I am asking you if the people know of where their money is going and why? Are they being consulted in anyway? Or are they living aloof of how it all works, and just waiting and hoping that it reaches them someday? Are they all believing the reason they do not have clean water in their compounds is still because someone in ASO ROCK has not decided they ought to? Are the people in your part of the delta still living thinking that the reason why their lives are still devoid of the basics is because ASO ROCK does not give them back enough money for the governor or LG to provide those to them?

Please let us stop THROWING BLAME AROUND, THINKING IT IS ONLY THE OTHERS that do it.

proproman:

What then would he say of the whole country that has witnessed next to no development under the Yar'Adua administration? Terrible governance? If he wanted to speak the truth, he should have spoken the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth not this half baked truth.

He does not have to say it, it is NO NEW NEWS. Even on the international front, it is clear that Nigeria has yet another useless president. BUT that is NO EXCUSE FOR INACTION on the part of State and LG governments. Bankole is not the AUTHOR and FINISHER of all things truth. He is just another person contributing his part in the ND debate. No need to suddenly expect him to hold 100% when we aLL know now that he is another politician.

You have just spent this whole FINGER POINTING AND CLAIMING IT IS UNIQUE to the other side. I do ask , since you admit there was some truth to what was said, what are you willing to do about it?
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by igeluma: 8:52pm On Oct 18, 2009
Good one by Bankole,all the leaders in ND should be held responsible,but the GOVT. should be sincere
in developing the place this time,by physical infastructure and masterplan are executed, the people had suffered a lot.
Govt. should stop giving money to the Governors, but award contract to credible companies to develop the place.
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by babapupa: 9:35pm On Oct 18, 2009
Good one by Bankole,all the leaders in ND should be held responsible,but the GOVT. should be sincere
in developing the place this time,by physical infastructure and masterplan are executed, the people had suffered a lot.
Govt. should stop giving money to the Governors, but award contract to credible companies to develop the place.

I see where you're coming from and to some extent, I agree with you.

Unfortunately, what do you want the feds to do besides taking over the whole region including usurping the state's power and ability to administer and make decisions per what's good or not for the people of the delta?

Do you want the feds to hold on to the regions statutory allocations and 13% oil wealth share or let the region leaders re-rout it like they've been doing and have the feds show up with fresh money on the side to further developments in the region?

Blaming  and asking the federal government to do more is not only a cliche, it's absolutely unreasonable and counter productive. They've been doing what a lot of people are asking them to do.

The region asked for more money and the feds sent more money

The region asked for larger share of the Nations oil wealth and the feds yielded.

They asked for a stronger feds presence and the feds created a fully funded NDDC to be the feds presence in the region.
(This is what happened to NDDC http://allafrica.com/stories/200907011045.html)

So, do you want the feds to declare marshal law, sack the region's leaders and take over the whole region and get things done or just pump in more money through the regions leader's fingers?

About pollution and other environmental issues, the states in the region by law are blessed with legal power and authority to enact and enforce environmental laws in their respective states, unfortunately, the leaders in the region are either ignorant per these legal assets and  powers to protect their land and people or juts criminally negligent and clueless.

One more time,

What exactly do we want from the federal government of Nigeria?
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by SapeleGuy: 10:02pm On Oct 18, 2009
babapupa:

What exactly do we want from the federal government of Nigeria?

Free and fair elections. The chance for us to choose our leaders and not have them selected for us. If we can choose our leaders they will be accountable to us.
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by babapupa: 11:15pm On Oct 18, 2009
Free and fair elections. The chance for us to choose our leaders and not have them selected for us. If we can choose our leaders they will be accountable to us.

Free and fair elections sounds like the ultimate panacea for sure. Unfortunately and like the rest of the country, good or bad leaders, we don't know how to demand accountability.

Let's set aside our respective feelings about MEND and ask some truthful and honest questions.

They have weapons.

They have the guts  and spirit to challenge the federal military apparatus in Nigeria to negotiations.

They have the will to terminate people and federal establishments.

Obviously, they are in a good position to demand accountability from their elected brothers in the delta.

My question to you is, have they demanded accountability from them for crimes committed against the people of the delta same way they've demanded and obtained the blood of innocent people outside the delta?

Or is their understanding that good or bad, no indigene of the delta shall shed blood or pay for crimes committed against the people of the delta by their brothers and sisters in the delta and only innocent people outside the delta shall pay with their lives for crimes committed by their brothers and sisters in the delta?

I'm asking these questions because it seems to me that free and fair elections is only part of the solution, people's attitude, basic sense of fairness and societal character should be part of the package.

If MEND can fight the feds to a stand still and take lives at will, they for sure have the power to find, approve and elect good and effective leaders within the delta and demand accountability as needed.

MEND is powerful outfit in respect of our weak central government, too bad they don't know what they have in terms of power and authority, they are not speaking with one voice, there's too much in fighting and self serving factions. They need to leverage their power and attention to uplift the delta., they need to set up a political wing with intelligent and sophisticated deltans to handle political issues on behalf of the people of the delta.

It is my believe that all roads leads to the delta and people of the delta.

The solution is in house.
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by Beaf: 11:38pm On Oct 18, 2009
^
My friend go and sleep!

Write an open letter to MEND or go and protest in the creeks about how you think MEND doesn't understand their fight.

Go and ask the most distinguished people and the greatest minds in the country like Mike Akhigbe and Wole Soyinka why they are foolish enough to represent MEND. You will just make yourself look foolish.
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by babapupa: 11:42pm On Oct 18, 2009
^
My friend go and sleep!

Write an open letter to MEND or go and protest in the creeks about how you think MEND doesn't understand their fight.

Go and ask the most distinguished people and the greatest minds in the country like Mike Akhigbe and Wole Soyinka why they are foolish enough to represent MEND. You will just make yourself look foolish.

Thanks for the wonderful advice.

Unfortunately, I'd rather discuss with resourceful and intelligent sons and daughters of the delta, not retards and wannabees.
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by Beaf: 11:51pm On Oct 18, 2009
Wole Soyinka isn't too far from your area. He represents MEND. cool

You actually don't need to talk to any ND person, Soyinka (God bless that man) can help you out; so you can get on your bike.
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by agitator: 9:47am On Oct 19, 2009
Pro Anti:

This post is from an obviously disgruntled youth who could not get a job cos he isnt connected. The guy does not even believe in merit.

Guy, I've a job on merit not even through paper qualification (and if there is no job, i can be self employed with my skills) if you care to know, but it doesn't mean because I'm comfortable i shouldn't speak out against injustice (This is common Nigerian mentality well to do people have no problem since they can afford their needs).

Truely the FG and the Oil companies have neglected the ND.  But the militant struggle has not improved the lives of the Niger Deltans as a whole, except for a few of the militants (the leaders) who live comfortably.  This is blindness and i'm not blind.

The Leaders we have here, who we see daily instead of solving our problems, with the little they have, what are they doing, embezzling the money to live as big shots and we foolishly worship them for peanuts (I detest worshipping them).

They are now telling you that even the primary schools which is the responsibility of state govt and Lga should now be the responsibility of the federal (built, staffed and equipped by the federal government).  They are shifting the attention from themselves to FG. why? very few people can have access to the FG.

If the state and local govts do their parts instead of complaining, and tell the indigenes they should protest for federal to allocate more money. what do you think will happen?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=post;topic=338360.msg4753908;quote=4753908;sesc=809f86d58be7c1065fb503029bfbada4
Pro Anti:

God forbid!
Nigeria will not crumble.
you are afraid because you are comfortable. Shebi?

Pro Anti:

I cant believe you are this shallow-minded.
Can you remember Peter Odili was named the best performing governor during his first term. Press men from all the Major newspapers went round, took photographs of his projects and voted him the golden governor.
Everybody knows Odili did little for Rivers State.

So, stop believing published articles especially governmnent magazines. Believe only when u see with your eyes or some1 u really trust attest.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=post;topic=338360.msg4753875;quote=4753875;sesc=809f86d58be7c1065fb503029bfbada4

Are you not contradicting yourself, after ridiculing me?
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by Nobody: 1:03pm On Oct 19, 2009
Let leave the messenger (Dimeji) and ponder on the message he delivered.

Are the leaders of ND doing the right thing with the "little money" meant for developmental projects in ND?.

The leaders of ND will keep getting away with this kleptomaniac tendency knowing fully well that their own people will never ask them to account for the "little funds", but will rather heap all the blames on the FG, the Northerners and Yorubas for their perceived woes.

Like Dimeji rightly pointed out, the insults will definetly come from people who obviuosly hates to hear the truth about themselves.

ND Delta, folks please do the apparent first thing first!!!!
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by SapeleGuy: 1:13pm On Oct 19, 2009
Babapupa - If the solution is in house, take the time to read this article when you finish try and tell us why the combined might of Tinubu and Fashola have allowed this problem to fester?

When you finish we can then discuss how your solution can be applied to the Niger Delta.

Oil pollution: Community cries out for help
Metro Sep 2, 2009

BARUWA,  a suburb of Lagos is not an oil-producing community just as Lagos is not classified as an oil-producing state. So, ordinarily there is no reason why the community should suffer the ravages of oil pollution or be embroiled in oil-related crisis.

Full story:
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/09/02/oil-pollution-community-cries-out-for-help/
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by otukpo(f): 1:55pm On Oct 19, 2009
True talk.
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by agitator: 2:09pm On Oct 19, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Babapupa - If the solution is in house, take the time to read this article when you finish try and tell us why the combined might of Tinubu and Fashola have allowed this problem to fester?

When you finish we can then discuss how your solution can be applied to the Niger Delta.

Oil pollution: Community cries out for help
Metro Sep 2, 2009

BARUWA,  a suburb of Lagos is not an oil-producing community just as Lagos is not classified as an oil-producing state. So, ordinarily there is no reason why the community should suffer the ravages of oil pollution or be embroiled in oil-related crisis.

Full story:
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/09/02/oil-pollution-community-cries-out-for-help/

What you are saying is "Not doing anything now means might?"
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by Kobojunkie: 2:31pm On Oct 19, 2009
ilugunboy:

Let leave the messenger (Dimeji) and ponder on the message he delivered.

Are the leaders of ND doing the right thing with the "little money" meant for developmental projects in ND?.

The leaders of ND will keep getting away with this kleptomaniac tendency knowing fully well that their own people will never ask them to account for the "little funds", but will rather heap all the blames on the FG, the Northerners and Yorubas for their perceived woes.

Like Dimeji rightly pointed out, the insults will definetly come from people who obviuosly hates to hear the truth about themselves.

ND Delta, folks please do the apparent first thing first!!!!

good one!
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by rudegirl: 5:49pm On Oct 19, 2009
someone told you the truth you despised him, (your leaders failed you ), please echo it ,
see this young man never exonerate himself is he not one of your leaders, ??
dump heads think YOUR LEADERS ACTUALLY FAILED YOU
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by babapupa: 7:53pm On Oct 19, 2009
I'm not surprised per your standard deflective and defensive comeback, I posed tons of questions and this is all you took to the market.

Ok, let's address your comeback.

The problem in Baruwa village wan't created by private companies like chevron and shell. We basically  don't have companies intentionally/unintentionally degrading the environment. What you posted has to do with vandalization of NNPC pipelines by the locals and I'm not sure per what you're diving at as far as this issue is concerned.

Do you want the state environmental protection agency to discipline and lock up the whole village for messing with NNPC pipelines? NNPC is an arm of the federal government of Nigeria, not private companies like chevron, shell, mobile and total.

This is LASEPA appealing to NNPC way back in 2004 to take care of the problem so be honest and quit saying they "allowed". This issue is still on the table because the solutions lies with NNPC, not the state government.

Personally, I'll evacuate the whole village.

LASEPA appeals to NNPC.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-21105626_ITM

This is what Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA) is doing to private companies.

A combined team of the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA) and the task force on Environmental Sanitation and Special Offences, this morning shut down a substation to MTN Nigeria Limited, Amuwo Odofin, and two other companies over pollution and degradation.

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:Xjpa6GkgVhwJ:thepmnews.com/2009/10/02/lagos-shuts-mtn-office-2-other-coys+LASEPA+shuts+four+firms&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

LASEPA clamps down on industries, churches

http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/12791/1/LASEPA-clamps-down-on-industries-churches/Page1.html

Lagos tackles illegal sand diggers as LASEPA shuts three firms

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/homes_property/article11//indexn3_html?pdate=110509&ptitle=Lagos%20tackles%20illegal%20sand%20diggers%20as%20LASEPA%20shuts%20three%20firms&cpdate=140509

LASEPA Threatens To Shut Dangote, Others

http://thepmnews.com/2009/03/02/lasepa-threatens-to-shut-dangote-others

Lagos Shuts 6 Dredging Companies, Arrests 10

http://news.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=6443

LASEPA to trail vessels in Lagos dumping operation

http://omi-gbigbonacollective..com/2008/07/nimasa-lasepa-to-trail-vessels-in-lagos.html

Also, read up about Environment Law In Nigeria.

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:Duz0y22BT-QJ:goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-7226340/Environment-Law-In-Nigeria.html+lasepa+vessel&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by babapupa: 7:57pm On Oct 19, 2009
Now, please tell me how many environmental laws the delta region have enacted and enforced.

Also, how many companies they've locked up?
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by Beaf: 8:07pm On Oct 19, 2009
^
My state is leagues ahead of yours and every other in areas like infant mortality, immunisation etc. You guys have flowers while kids are dying. Lets compare figures if you dare. You think others go around blabbing? You like running around the place like you come from heaven. Have you guys finished with Ebute meta? Or is it still a dump?

Please deal with this dude first before you cry tears of blood for ND na. He has been fingered for drug dealings and is at the very heart of your politics and rulership.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/139268_BolaTinubuHeroinforfeiture_jpgb084d334c74cec7150ee9588a3aed2fc

What a funny guy (maybe the hat is full of drugs grin). grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by MrCrackles(m): 8:09pm On Oct 19, 2009
^ Dat is some scary piccy of Tinubu right up there. . . I almost puked! embarassed
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by SapeleGuy: 10:00pm On Oct 19, 2009
Baruwa is an excellent case study, despite the avalanche of headlines from babapupa this still remains a classic case of all mouth and no action i.e. lots of activity but no end product.  You will excuse me for discarding the stories on holy ghost fire churches and sand collectors.

The problem started in 1994, Tinubu and Fashola came to power in 1999, govt appealed to NNPC in 2004 and in 2009 nothing has happened. How can the people of Barewa hold their governor accountable?

My main request was for any ideas that have been successfully implemented that can be taken to the Niger Delta as examples of best practice, your suggestion is to evacuate the Barewa area. Are we to take it from your suggestion that you want the people of Niger Delta to evacuate?
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by SapeleGuy: 11:00pm On Oct 19, 2009
babapupa:

Now, please tell me how many environmental laws the delta region have enacted and enforced.

Also, how many companies they've locked up?

Rather than posting numerous links I shall post one.  You can also checkout the sterling work of SERAP and contributions from Festus Kayamo and Femi Falana. I have highlighted the important bits for you.

Nigeria threatens Shell with $1.5 billion environmental fine

Nigeria's senate has overwhelmingly passed a resolution demanding US$1.5 billion in compensation from Shell Petroleum Development Corporation for environmental damage caused by oilfield development in the country. The resolution was raised from a petition submitted by the Ijaw of the southern state of Bayelsa, [/b]where many multinational companies are engaged in oil development.[b] The resolution calls for Shell to pay US$1 billion immediately and US$100 million a year for the next five years. Representatives from the company claim they did not know about it.

Critics note that all of Shell's oil development in Nigeria is operated through a company that is 55% owned by the Nigerian government, while others suggest that Nigeria's near-nonexistent environmental laws are to blame for the damage.
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by babapupa: 11:22pm On Oct 19, 2009
Baruwa is an excellent case study, despite the avalanche of headlines from babapupa this still remains a classic case of all mouth and no action i.e. lots of activity but no end product. You will excuse me for discarding the stories on holy ghost fire churches and sand collectors.

The problem started in 1994, Tinubu and Fashola came to power in 1999, govt appealed to NNPC in 2004 and in 2009 nothing has happened. How can the people of Barewa hold their governor accountable?

My main request was for any ideas that have been successfully implemented that can be taken to the Niger Delta as examples of best practice, your suggestion is to evacuate the Barewa area. Are we to take it from your suggestion that you want the people of Niger Delta to evacuate?

Defensiveness and apples and oranges again,

You still haven't answered my questions and we both know the reason why. You just don't have the guts to be honest with yourself and your people.  

You can shift your goal post as much as you want, you're deceiving yourself, not me.  Baruwa is a federal problem, not state's. How do you hold the state responsible and accountable for federal/NNPC's problem.

We're talking about holding private companies accountable for messing up the environment like the oil companies are doing in the delta, not locking up a whole village for vandalizing NNPC pipelines.

Baruwa shouldn't be an excuse not to demand same in the delta.  

Do you mean the delta shouldn't enact and enforce environmental laws in the delta because of baruwa?

Got to be the most insane reasoning ever.

The most honorable thing to do is to just admit that there's nothing like LASEPA in the delta and the region's leaders are criminally negligent and incompetent.

Sadly, you're displaying the same  blame other people mentality that's screwing up the delta.
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by Beaf: 11:30pm On Oct 19, 2009
^
Sad tribalist fools sha embarassed
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by babapupa: 11:53pm On Oct 19, 2009
Rather than posting numerous links I shall post one.  You can also checkout the sterling work of SERAP and contributions from Festus Kayamo and Femi Falana.  I have highlighted the important bits for you.

Nigeria threatens Shell with $1.5 billion environmental fine

Nigeria's senate has overwhelmingly passed a resolution demanding US$1.5 billion in compensation from Shell Petroleum Development Corporation for environmental damage caused by oilfield development in the country. The resolution was raised from a petition submitted by the Ijaw of the southern state of Bayelsa, where many multinational companies are engaged in oil development. The resolution calls for Shell to pay US$1 billion immediately and US$100 million a year for the next five years. Representatives from the company claim they did not know about it.

Critics note that all of Shell's oil development in Nigeria is operated through a company that is 55% owned by the Nigerian government, while others suggest that Nigeria's near-nonexistent environmental laws are to blame for the damage.

Oh lawd. I know it's your thinking that the feds is responsible for the air you breath and the complexion of the woman you marry, but we're talking about states, not the federal government.

This is absolutely irrelevant and you still haven't answered my questions.

I pointed out that states in the region are bless with legal authority to enact and enforce environmental laws and they need to start doing what Lagos state is doing and you defensively show up with the standard Tinubu and Fashola diversion and deflection.

You and that retard Beef obviously drink from the same well.

What's up with the fascination with Tinubu?

Is tinubu your governor?

Is he some invisible leader in the delta or was he part of the looting team in the delta?

How come you guys don't talk about the Ibori, alams and odili?

Why Tinubu?

What's up with the attention and love fest?

Are you guys in love with Tinubu?

Are you guys gay?

Beef-

Where is your lover's picture?

You're slacking up, abi you're saving it for tonight with your lotion? Tinubu loverboy.

lmao. what a clown.
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by Beaf: 12:40am On Oct 20, 2009
babapupa:

What's up with the fascination with Tinubu?

Is tinubu your governor?

FOOL.

Imagine someone going to toilet and not cleaning his arse. He has flies and a wretched stench in tow, but without engaging his brain, he points out to everyone that his neighbours wife hasn't washed the dishes. What do you call that type? "Useless" is too mild. You paint a truely ridiculous picture.

You come here posting tonnes of stupid links. I challenged you earlier about quality of life between your state and mine. Did you take it up? No! Yet, you shift your mouth so much like the fool you are, blabbing at your betters; I'm waiting, lets compare figures. My state leaves yours in the dust.
Instead of worrying about your drug convict party boss, you can't help crawling out of your little crack to snipe at the ND just cos we are minorities.Abi, your gang dey bunker too? Did MEND disrupt business as usual?

Why don't you mind the drug soaked thief in your backyard. With a guy like that, only God knows the evil plans that might be in store for your state; yet you're here talking shit and defending a drug tainted criminal (whats in it for you shocked).
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by babapupa: 1:23am On Oct 20, 2009
Sad and pathetic rubbish as usual,

If makes you sleep well with Tinubu tonight, Delta is the sh!t, delta is Dubai.

lmao. Look at this delusional dumb ass,

Ndo, Tinubu obviously did some terrible damage to your lil bootie.

btw, are there any sensible and articulate delta folks on NL to discuss with minus these generic whinny, soft and sensitive comical clowns?
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by udezue(m): 1:50am On Oct 20, 2009
lol @ get on a bike

BEAF u crack me up grin
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by Beaf: 10:40am On Oct 20, 2009
Uduzue! grin

Don't mind that commical rag brain called babapupa. He doesn't realise that blabbing stupidly isn't in everyones genes.
They have their drug lord in Tinubu to nail. But, no! All you need do is plant a few flowers and babapupa forgets the disgrace of his own drug tainted leaders to go mouthing his superiors.
I challenged him to compare quality of life indeces to see if his state won't be left flailing in the dust, but the clown ran off.

The funniest thing is, he doesn't even sit back to wonder why a man of Wole Soyinka's pedigree is on MEND's Aaron team; yet, in Wole Soyinka, we are talking of someone with a brain hundreds of times the size of the little malfunctioning bone in babapupa's head. . . Talk about Homer Simpson! grin
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by Nobody: 11:42am On Oct 20, 2009
We know them, them will always employ every thread on N/L to throw personal insults and reduce what ordinarily should be an intellectual discourse into some sort of personal and ego tripping.

Like some people have rightly pointed out, with this type of people roaming all over N/L, the place will sooner than later lose it's shine.

Pure rubbish!
Re: Bankole To Niger Delta: Your Leaders Failed You by proproman(m): 2:29pm On Oct 20, 2009
You obviously misread and misunderstood my post. I was not trying to imply that the Federal government is to take all the blame> All am saying is that their hands are not clean in the issue as you guys make out. As Jesus said, let him who has no sin cast the first stone. The Federal have lots of sins yet they are throwing a barrage of stones at all and sundry yet claim innocence. You must admit that if blame is to be shared, everybody culpable should get a share not jus one party.

He does not have to say it, it is NO NEW NEWS. Even on the international front, it is clear that Nigeria has yet another useless president. BUT that is NO EXCUSE FOR INACTION on the part of State and LG governments. Bankole is not the AUTHOR and FINISHER of all things truth. He is just another person contributing his part in the ND debate. No need to suddenly expect him to hold 100% when we aLL know now that he is another politician.
Is that an excuse for them not to perform, because all the previous governments have failed? If that is what you are implying then we better be set for hell because Nigeria will never get better. The fact that it is no news that corruption is endemic in this country does not mean we should do nothing about it. Would you sit back and accept being told you're a scammer by a foreigner because Nigerians have a reputation of being scammers? That is not an excuse, please.

What Bankole has done is essentially give the ND what it requested --National attention. He did not say he is INTERESTED IN SPEAKING THE TRUTH. ND states (people) demanded attention to their issue and this is part of what you get when you do that. I expected people welcome this development and make sure the debate does not end by offering up meaningful rebuttals, at the same time acknowledging the valid points made.
National attention my foot. What the NDeltans are asking for is development, National attention in deed not words. So by his pronouncement, he's saying that FG has nothing to do for them and they should query the state government. As for your insinuation that state governments should take over the FGs responsibilities because the FG is inactive, don't let a state governor hear you on that. Why not the FG stop giving allocation to states and tell them to go and raise their own revenue? I say again, let the FG fix its infrastructure first. What is the USE of having a government that does nothing? So you would prefer that the FG does nothing and the states do everything. The FG is supposed to set an example for the States to follow and that is what is obtainable in some states. the LG does nothing because the SG does nothing, the SG does nothing because the FG does nothing. Whatver country you are in works not because the State government works alone but because the Federal government works as well.

Even with the state of federal schools, there are now hundreds more non-federal schools that are managed by private individuals and groups and even state, to provide the service that the federal schools in the state have refused to provide. There are state hospitals to fill in the gap created by the federal hospitals etc.
Non federal school-> state or private schools. Since the FG is inactive, the SG (by your insinuation) should fix and build roads, provide security one way or another, pay teachers and lecturers, build hospitals and health care centers, generate power somehow, provide potable water and basically do everything. How much do you think the State government recieves that it can start taking up the responsibilities of the FG in addition to its own? The SG has it's own schools (where it has not paid all its teachers salaries), hospitals (where doctors are planning strike), roads (which are not all fixed) etc. That Fashola fixed some Federal roads does not mean that all state roads are good now. He just had to fix them with the money he should have used to fix state roads. So the state roads suffer because of FG's responsibility. Are you saying this is good? By the way, not everyone can afford private facilities. I know how much my dad spent sending four out of five of us to private secondary schools. We consequently had to attend Federal Universities. Now we are on strike. Is this a good thing?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Folorunsho Alakija's Source Of Wealth Busted By CNN Reporter, Christian Purefoy / Is Nollywood Mocking or praising Biafra? (pics) / Amaechi Shocked As Crowd Walked Away On Buhari- Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.