Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,657 members, 7,809,487 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:27 AM

A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities (49466 Views)

Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade / If You Study These Courses In Any Of These Universities,You Are On Your Own-NUC / 11 Facts About Engineering In Uniben And Other Universities!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by vectoh(m): 11:21am On Sep 30, 2016
Molly1991:
Uniabuja some departments are not funny too
tot t has bin shut down na. grin grin
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by ochuciano(m): 11:22am On Sep 30, 2016
fineyemi:
You didn't include Osun State University and Olabisi Onabanjo University. Making First Class in a state University is more difficult in Federal University.

You just nailed it, it's far easier to make 1st class in those federal universities he mentioned than any state school in Nigeria.
In fact 2-2 in state university is equal to 2-1 in federal university

3 Likes

Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by Laredojohn(m): 11:22am On Sep 30, 2016
Unilag...it's wasn't easy getting a 2.1 ..but to be sincere 2.1 is 2.1 and same goes for other grades in other schools.. would you now say a pass in unilag is equal to a third class or 2.2 in some other schools...we all have professors , Dr's and lecturers in all schools ...so I dnt agree with the OP

5 Likes

Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by ochuciano(m): 11:22am On Sep 30, 2016
zicoraads:

Cc:
Naijaboiy grin grin

Absolutely true
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by Sermwell(m): 11:23am On Sep 30, 2016
G12:
Wrong!

A 2.1 in AAU Ekpoma is equivalent to 1st class in uniben
This is hillarious cheesy
Keep decieving yourself grin
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by vectoh(m): 11:24am On Sep 30, 2016
cara06:
Who 2:1 EPP?
ur 3rd class is smtin too na.. grin
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by jaafree: 11:24am On Sep 30, 2016
Fu**k**g Biased!!! Bayero university kano is the toughest of all. 2:2 is just like 2:1 in the above listed universities.
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by MrsExplorer(f): 11:25am On Sep 30, 2016
abeloureal:
Should education be appraised on the strictness involved before the reward or the quality of the education?
So tell me, a third class in Harvard is equal to what in the above universities.??
So u think a PhD program that lasted 8years is strictness (one of my lecturers ordeal) or stupidity and mediocrity.
I hate people saying this poo. Upon the whole wahala we put ourselves now....Nigerian universities for Africa is nothing but rubbish.. You better stop this rubbish comparisons because every student has their own story to tell. A university is only better than the other by qualitative education and pragmatic approach to human problems not outright wickedness that u call strictness.

May my Almighty God bless you for this
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by Jethrolite(m): 11:25am On Sep 30, 2016
OBAFEMIawolowo:
This is based on my personal experience, I have visited most of the schools in Nigeria, i have aslo seen lot of researches/publications online and I want to compile my list, these schools below are the strictest in Nigeria, if you make a good 2:2 or 2:1 here, you will match a first class from most other schools. Agreed or not?

1. University of Ibadan
2. Amadu bello university, Zaria
3. Obafemi awolowo university, ife
4. University of Nigeria, nnsuka
5. University of Benin
6.university of Lagos
7. University of Ilorin
8. Federal university of technology, owerri
9. University of port Harcourt
10. University of calabar
11. Federal university of technology, akure
12. Federal university of technology, minna
13. Nnamdi azikiwe university, awka
14. University of uyo
15. University of Jos
16. University of Maiduguri
17. Bayero university, kano
18. University of agriculture, Abeokuta
19. Michael okpara university of agriculture, Umudike
20. Usman danfidiyo university, sokoto.
Which experience, your list shows you have no experience. Let me just point it out clearly to you. Most federal universities use the 15, 15, 15, 55 percentile grading system while most state universities use 25, 25, 25, 25 percentile grading system. Meaning you can fail your first 3 years in a federal school, get good grades in your final year and still get a 2 1 but in state universities, the moment you start failing from year one, better seat up because no magic will happen. 2 good examples where this happens are uniben and delsu.

2 Likes

Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by Nobody: 11:25am On Sep 30, 2016
hilda90:
Lol.my school is among d ones listed.I graduated from Nnamdi Azikiwe university with 2:1 and I know a lot of people during my time that made 2:1.maybe it depends on d department. My major was computer science.
thank God for your life. I'm happy it's not political science. With all my efforts, what I could muster in polsci is 3.46. I cursed the day I enter dat dept. PROF. Egboh God will never forgive you for all you made us go through. Hand written term paper of 20pages fullscap size every semester, yet one could never go beyond a D in his course.
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by haibe(m): 11:26am On Sep 30, 2016
So i viewed my academic transcript from unilag yesterday and noticed that in more than 10 of the papers i wrote. I got scores like 69, 59, 49. In other words scores that i needed only one mark to acheive the next grade. (E.g from a C with 3. to a B with 4.). All these would have made a huge difference in calculating my CGPA if those 1 marks were there. Most of these scores came from departments that had beef with my department.

In a sane school, those one marks can easily be ignored and i would have ended up getting a very good grade. (I missed a 2.1 by a margin). So yes i think i totally agree that in some schools, a 2.2 graduate can actually be more better than a 2.1 in others. Infact in the same school, this is possible. I will give an example.

The logic of using Grade points to appraise a students performance is flawed..

Imagine two students writing two papers.

In the first paper, the first guy got a 50 and the other one got a 59.. based on a gpa method of appraising, they both got a c in this paper and are the same.

In the second paper, the guy got a 60 and the second guy got a 59.. this means the first guy has a B and the other one has a C . In general the first guy is a better student because he has a total of 7 points (3+4) from 10 points available while the second guy has only 6 points. Employers and teachers assume this guy is a better student. But is this really the case?

If you look at the average score of both students, its amazing to know that the second guy has an average of 59 (59+59)÷2. While the first guy only has an average of 55 (50 +60)÷ 2. But then everyone thinks the first guy is more intelligent

This little analysis shows that the GPA system is never a reliable one. Using simple averages of the individual scores is a far better method of appraising rather than attatching points to a large scale of scores

5 Likes

Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by deusp: 11:27am On Sep 30, 2016
2.2 suppose get 22upper(3
.0-3.49)then 2.2 lower (2.4-2.99)

2 Likes

Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by mondob2k(m): 11:27am On Sep 30, 2016
ammyluv2002:
Nnamdi Azikiwe University suffer me no be small...As in, I see pepper all through in that school undecided embarassed

Same here o. No be small thing What course? me Mech
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by muller101(m): 11:28am On Sep 30, 2016
Eliminate unical from that list pls o.
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by damose12(m): 11:28am On Sep 30, 2016
In this modern age can someone be writing this shit! May be u ar still an undergradaute or a jambite. What matters nw is d knowledge u hav or better stil d ability to convert d knowledge u hav to money. I graduated frm one of d one d universities mentioned above with a 2.1 grade but hav seen dat what matters nowadays is not grade or University but d skills u av to make money. The number of 2.1 & 1st class graduates without jobs are plenty out there.

1 Like

Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by vectoh(m): 11:29am On Sep 30, 2016
jaafree:
Fu**k**g Biased!!! Bayero university kano is the toughest of all. 2:2 is just like 2:1 in the above listed universities.
whr is that one located? schools plenty 4 naija o grin
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by seyiojomu(m): 11:30am On Sep 30, 2016
Who told you to start with that examination is the best way to test a student?
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by deusp: 11:30am On Sep 30, 2016
Oga why the lies(In falz voice)
Jethrolite:
Which experience, your list shows you have no experience. Let me just point it out clearly to you. Most federal universities use the 15, 15, 15, 55 percentile grading system while most state universities use 25, 25, 25, 25 percentile grading system. Meaning you can fail your first 3 years in a federal school, get good grades in your final year and still get a 2 1 but in state universities, the moment you start failing from year one, better seat up because no magic will happen. 2 good examples where this happens are uniben and delsu.
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by Nobody: 11:31am On Sep 30, 2016
University of Uyo tho...
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by Nobody: 11:32am On Sep 30, 2016
vectoh:
ur 3rd class is smtin too na.. grin
there's no more 3rd class na... just Pass
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by vectoh(m): 11:34am On Sep 30, 2016
haibe:
So i viewed my academic transcript from unilag yesterday and noticed that more 10 of the papers i wrote. I got scores like 69, 59, 49. In other words scores that i needed only one mark to acheive the next grade. (E.g from a C with 3. to a B with 4.). All these would have made a huge difference in calculating my CGPA if those 1 marks were there. Most of these scores came from departments that had beef with my department.

In a sane school, those one marks can easily be ignored and i would have ended up getting a very good grade. (I missed a 2.1 by a margin). So yes i think i totally agree that in some schools, a 2.2 graduate can actually be more better than a 2.1 in others. Infact in the same school, this is possible. I will give an example.

The logic of using Grade points to appraise a students performance is flawed..

Imagine
what u dnt knw is u myt hav had lesser dan 59..there myt v bin a general upgrade of +5 dat lifted ur score to 59 4rm 54.

1 Like

Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by chimoskyg(m): 11:35am On Sep 30, 2016
University of Jos

Ask about them, mostly graduates from Economics department.
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by Nobody: 11:35am On Sep 30, 2016
emmasege:
Am happy someone opened this thread. I actually discussed this with someone very recently and am of the opinion that a 2.2 or third class in some universities could actually perform better in some other universities.

@OP, I share a different view from your opinion. 2.2. in UI may not equal 2.2. in OAU and vice versa (just an example). Several factors determine what class of degree a candidate comes out with, and in some proven cases, 2.2 products have proved to be better than some 2.1 or even first class products of some universities. Don't be surprised that a 2.2 product in UI, OAU, UNILAG may not even come out with a better result from Covenant or Bowen University. It's high time that we realized that some students opt for private universities by choice and not because they can't score beyond 200. In fact, many of them scored above 200. I have taught in both private and public universities and seen a good number of private university undergraduates who could do excellently well and even come top of their classes, were they in first generation universities.

I do not underrate first generation universities, as I proudly represent the premier university myself, but we need to jettison this old erroneous idea that the best brains are only endemic to the first generation universities. No, it's no longer so, and governments will have to do more to ensure that the likes of Covenant University do not push the premier universities to the back seat in years to come. Where's the glory of our Federal Government Colleges that were once the desire of many parents and children?
Nice argument u'v got Sir. Please are you still into lecturing ?
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by haibe(m): 11:36am On Sep 30, 2016
deusp:
2.2 suppose get 22upper(3
.0-3.49)then 2.2 lower (2.4-2.99)
i totally agree with this. Imagine putting someone that had 2.4 in the same category with someone that had 3.49.. thats stupidityy of the highest order. The gap is too much to put them in same category . Although i understand some companies specifically requests for the exact Grade.. e.g Mckinsey

1 Like

Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by haibe(m): 11:38am On Sep 30, 2016
vectoh:
what u dnt knw is u myt hav had lesser dan 59..there myt v bin a general upgrade of +5 dat lifted ur score to 59 4rm 54.
If u attended a federal sch u would understand that some departments beef each other. Nothing like upgrading will exist for a student in an opposing department. Some of these papers that i knew i would easily have gotten A, but knowing how they mark us explains all
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by ElSherriff: 11:39am On Sep 30, 2016
Just go GT for Ihumudumu Rd go take two plates of fried rice. I go pay...later meet me for Zonnes, oil de your head. leave all these gbeskes make them de talk nosense here

G12:
Wrong!

A 2.1 in AAU Ekpoma is equivalent to 1st class in uniben

1 Like

Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by frankwyte: 11:41am On Sep 30, 2016
The real 2.2/2.1 is in you, so when are not adding value at your work place or you are possibly wasting away looking employment. This shows you are below per and so stop this crap. am a 2.2 graduate of Physics. And am currently employed by a Multinational company and an envy of this so called 2.1 and first class product. I even went to a state university at that.

2 Likes

Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by Adoniskid(m): 11:41am On Sep 30, 2016
ATBU Bauchi should make the list complete
sometimes in 2006 an advert on daily trust required engineering student to apply for a job with a atleast a 2.1 with exception of ATBU student with 2.2 can apply.
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by EdoBoy90(m): 11:42am On Sep 30, 2016
Futurecrown:
So you want to compare that third class University to UNIBEN? Checkmate yourself Boss, even your VC can testify to the Academic acumen of UNIBEST student. Most Ekpoma students are rejected from Mighty UNIBEN. That Much room School! Is like comparing Ohio state University to HARVARD University, better wake from slumber. There is a great lacuna between Rat and Rabbit thou there is similarity.

Academic excellent is not synonymous to structures to some extent. It is the student's desire that determines academic excellent.

No university on Earth that doesn't have dullard students in my experience so far both home and abroad.

Every student at UNIBEN is not better than every student at AAU ( ur Third Class University as claimed by ur myopic knowledge). There is bound to be probability for ascertaining knowledge. There are dull students at Harvard university but they have done well globally than the First Class or professors from UNIBEN. Graduating from UNIBEN doesn't automatically make you more intelligent than all AAU students. That notion will disappoint you one day by underrating a graduate from AAU.

Nowadays, graduates from UNIBEN are jobless too. No AAU graduate has made public announcement on NL that he or she is looking for job like your UNIBEN graduate who graduated with First Class in Mathematics yet he was looking for job instead of using his brain or the knowledge acquired from your "Mighty UNIBEN". I ask myself: " What does UNIBEN impacted in that First Class jobless mathematics graduate from your School?" Nothing!

Don't forget your Third Class University that is AAU produced Pastor Chris Oyakhilomhe and Mr. Festus Keyamo ( EFFC popular lawyer) and many more.

I have met a lot of UNIBEN graduates that are very dull and also a lot of AAU graduates who are dull too. also, a lot of AAU graduates better than UNIBEN graduates. And UNIBEN graduates better than AAU graduates too.

5 Likes

Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by emmasege: 11:46am On Sep 30, 2016
Joice21:
Nice argument u'v got Sir. Please are you still into lecturing ?
Yes
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by Nobody: 11:49am On Sep 30, 2016
ammyluv2002:
Lol! Perm site o cry
5 decking or Madonna abi Uchenna? grin
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by vankaid: 11:51am On Sep 30, 2016
ammyluv2002:
Lolz..na Amaka sha
I gradg 2005, u?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Secondary School Throwback: How True Is This? (PHOTO) / ASUU President, Emmanuel Osodeke, Rejects N50m Raised By Berekete Family / 10 Causes Of Poor Academic Performance In School – Most Students Never Admit #8

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.