Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,081 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities (49570 Views)

Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade / If You Study These Courses In Any Of These Universities,You Are On Your Own-NUC / 11 Facts About Engineering In Uniben And Other Universities!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by gz87: 5:37pm On Sep 30, 2016
emmasege:
Am happy someone opened this thread. I actually discussed this with someone very recently and am of the opinion that a 2.2 or third class in some universities could actually perform better in some other universities.

@OP, I share a different view from your opinion. 2.2. in UI may not equal 2.2. in OAU and vice versa (just an example). Several factors determine what class of degree a candidate comes out with, and in some proven cases, 2.2 products have proved to be better than some 2.1 or even first class products of some universities. Don't be surprised that a 2.2 product in UI, OAU, UNILAG may not even come out with a better result from Covenant or Bowen University. It's high time we realized that some students opt for private universities by choice and not because they can't score beyond 200. In fact, many of them scored above 200. I have taught in both private and public universities and seen a good number of private university undergraduates who could do excellently well and even come top of their classes, were they in first generation universities.

I do not underrate first generation universities, as I proudly represent the premier university myself, but we need to jettison this old erroneous idea that the best brains are only endemic to the first generation universities. No, it's no longer so, and governments will have to do more to ensure that the likes of Covenant University do not push the premier universities to the back seat in years to come. Where's the glory of our Federal Government Colleges which were once the desire of many parents and children?

Check your fact before coming online. You sound too defensive. U be lawyer?

Even OAU third class is far better than 2.1 in UI not to talk of Covenant abi Conve... what?

Nigerians should clamour for a just society where quality and not quantity will decide.

As it is today, graduates from the private universities are open to many opportunities, that's not because of their intellect, degree or whatever..

It is simply the X factor u and virtually an average Nigerian is lacking to become somebody in this country.
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by Longman6(m): 5:38pm On Sep 30, 2016
Folks let's be sincere some schools stand out, you can't gain admission into ui with a WAEC or jamb you didn't write yourself, ui's post utme is an oral examination, if you manage to scale that you would be driven out of the school in your first year if your cgpa is less than 1.o, ui does not admit more than 1500 student yearly, and the cgpa system allows for a class difference of 5marks, ie 40%is different from 45%, most of the time you get what you deserve,and competition is intense, but I must admit some private universities also show class, especially a school like convernant, but in the end 2:1, is 2:1 on paper.No difference..just work on your self.
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by Harunakoney(m): 5:50pm On Sep 30, 2016
Dats ur opinion
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by Adefroshz: 5:52pm On Sep 30, 2016
fineyemi:
You didn't include Osun State University and Olabisi Onabanjo University. Making First Class in a state University is more difficult in Federal University.
May hear no federal university in Nigeria is not hard.........come 2 futminna......u go see pepper
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by ojsmscom(m): 6:15pm On Sep 30, 2016
It should be equal to self employment too lol
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by theimmortals(m): 6:29pm On Sep 30, 2016
SuperSuave:
OK. tell that to your employer
Guy, na man you be. Don't mind that olodo
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by theimmortals(m): 6:32pm On Sep 30, 2016
abayomi93:
Oga 2.2 is 2.2!!! All these things ur saying here does not hold water. A fact is a fact. Once d requirement for a job is 2.1,it does not matter if it's from a village university u had ur 2.1,you are qualified.that is the fact.

GBAM!

1 Like

Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by uthmaniac(m): 6:32pm On Sep 30, 2016
fineyemi:
You didn't include Osun State University and Olabisi Onabanjo University. Making First Class in a state University is more difficult in Federal University.
Yh
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by emmasege: 6:34pm On Sep 30, 2016
gz87:

Check your fact before coming online. You sound too defensive. U be lawyer?

Even OAU third class is far better than 2.1 in UI not to talk of Covenant abi Conve... what?

Nigerians should clamour for a just society where quality and not quantity will decide.

As it is today, graduates from the private universities are open to many opportunities, that's not because of their intellect, degree or whatever..

It is simply the X factor u and virtually an average Nigerian is lacking to become somebody in this country.
Can you hear yourself talk? Go tell your prospective employer that trash at an interview. For your information, I hold degrees from both UI & OAU, so i had my facts before coming online. I stand by my earlier stance that the best brains are not endemic to first generation universities. I've seen a good number of such in both public and private universities. I hope you are also aware that there are very bad examples of OAU graduates. There was a particular OAU (2.2) graduate whom we served together. The guy can barely construct an error free sentence in English. I wonder how he managed to graduate in the first instance. And this is the sort of OAU graduate who will finish with a first class in UI, according to you. I really pity your condition. As @ the last university rating, UI was the best followed by Covenant University & then the 'noisy' OAU.
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by theimmortals(m): 6:36pm On Sep 30, 2016
emmasege:
Am happy someone opened this thread. I actually discussed this with someone very recently and am of the opinion that a 2.2 or third class in some universities could actually perform better in some other universities.

@OP, I share a different view from your opinion. 2.2. in UI may not equal 2.2. in OAU and vice versa (just an example). Several factors determine what class of degree a candidate comes out with, and in some proven cases, 2.2 products have proved to be better than some 2.1 or even first class products of some universities. Don't be surprised that a 2.2 product in UI, OAU, UNILAG may not even come out with a better result from Covenant or Bowen University. It's high time we realized that some students opt for private universities by choice and not because they can't score beyond 200. In fact, many of them scored above 200. I have taught in both private and public universities and seen a good number of private university undergraduates who could do excellently well and even come top of their classes, were they in first generation universities.

I do not underrate first generation universities, as I proudly represent the premier university myself, but we need to jettison this old erroneous idea that the best brains are only endemic to the first generation universities. No, it's no longer so, and governments will have to do more to ensure that the likes of Covenant University do not push the premier universities to the back seat in years to come. Where's the glory of our Federal Government Colleges which were once the desire of many parents and children?

Oga Summarize.
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by yemiosinbajo: 6:42pm On Sep 30, 2016
Longman6:
Folks let's be sincere some schools stand out, you can't gain admission into ui with a WAEC or jamb you didn't write yourself, ui's post utme is an oral examination, if you manage to scale that you would be driven out of the school in your first year if your cgpa is less than 1.o, ui does not admit more than 1500 student yearly, and the cgpa system allows for a class difference of 5marks, ie 40%is different from 45%, most of the time you get what you deserve,and competition is intense, but I must admit some private universities also show class, especially a school like convernant, but in the end 2:1, is 2:1 on paper.No difference..just work on your self.

Why are you lying in public? UI admits over 3000 students annually, and has been conducting written post utme since 2011. Added to this is that less competitive courses usually have a post-utme cut off mark of 50%; talk about courses in the Faculty of Education, some in Social Sciences, Arts and Science.
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by tunexkky: 6:43pm On Sep 30, 2016
guy na Ghana u dey speak ooooo, no dey compare Watin no sure
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by terpenoid(m): 6:54pm On Sep 30, 2016
the list isn't complete without delta state university
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by Kxke(m): 7:08pm On Sep 30, 2016
I once went for an I.T placement exam of a prominent company in Nigeria where the examiner who happened to be a staff of the company was complaining:his complaint was that he noticed that if the company has like ten slots for I.T intake that seven to six slots would be grabbed by students from FUTO; he said that the most surprising thing was most of the FUTOites were students 2.2 holders.
A 2.2 holder in FUTO is like a 2.1 and 1st class holder in other skul. I also once came across a speech of a recent best graduating student of convenant Uni who said that he sought admission thrice into one of the Engineering department in FUTO but couldn't secure admission.
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by Adonike(m): 7:10pm On Sep 30, 2016
Mikymiko:
Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University is an emerging reputable University we all must count on.

U're right bro!!! Pple often see d department of Economics as a no go area cos of its emphasis on due process!
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by yemiosinbajo: 7:11pm On Sep 30, 2016
Kxke:
I once went for an I.T placement exam of a prominent company in Nigeria where the examiner who happened to be a staff of the company was complaining:his complaint was that he noticed that if the company has like ten slots for I.T intake that seven to six slots would be grabbed by students from FUTO; he said that the most surprising thing was most of the FUTOites were students 2.2 holders.
A 2.2 holder in FUTO is like a 2.1 and 1st class holder in other skul. I also once came across a speech of a recent best graduating student of convenant Uni who said that he sought admission thrice into one of the Engineering department in FUTO but couldn't secure admission.

Provide a link to the speech.
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by NicoBaba(m): 7:15pm On Sep 30, 2016
OBAFEMIawolowo:
This is based on my personal experience, I have visited most of the schools in Nigeria, i have aslo seen lot of researches/publications online and I want to compile my list, these schools below are the strictest in Nigeria, if you make a good 2:2 or 2:1 here, you will match a first class from most other schools. Agreed or not?

1. University of Ibadan
2. Amadu bello university, Zaria
3. Obafemi awolowo university, ife
4. University of Nigeria, nnsuka
5. University of Benin
6.university of Lagos
7. University of Ilorin
8. Federal university of technology, owerri
9. University of port Harcourt
10. University of calabar
11. Federal university of technology, akure
12. Federal university of technology, minna
13. Nnamdi azikiwe university, awka
14. University of uyo
15. University of Jos
16. University of Maiduguri
17. Bayero university, kano
18. University of agriculture, Abeokuta
19. Michael okpara university of agriculture, Umudike
20. Usman danfidiyo university, sokoto.
continue consoling ur sef there.. u don fail finish from university u con dey give ur sef hope
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by Barcelona90: 7:20pm On Sep 30, 2016
OP you are deceiving yourself, don't go and read and graduate with a first class, meanwhile where job de sef?
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by hayPizzle(m): 7:31pm On Sep 30, 2016
OBAFEMIawolowo:
This is based on my personal experience, I have visited most of the schools in Nigeria, i have aslo seen lot of researches/publications online and I want to compile my list, these schools below are the strictest in Nigeria, if you make a good 2:2 or 2:1 here, you will match a first class from most other schools. Agreed or not?

1. University of Ibadan
5. University of Benin
6.university of Lagos
7. University of Ilorin
14. University of uyo
15. University of Jos
yea I can testify to this list especially usman danfodio university
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by monlawal(m): 7:33pm On Sep 30, 2016
Joice21:
Wow ! Please can I send a pm ?..I wanna take up a lecturing career too.
who is giving out lecturing appointment? I'm interested
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by chuckdelis: 7:35pm On Sep 30, 2016
u jt lay on ur bed nd u post bullshit jt 2 console urself for not working hard enuff.
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by Longman6(m): 7:38pm On Sep 30, 2016
yemiosinbajo:

Why are you lying in public? UI admits over 3000 students annually, and has been conducting written post utme since 2011. Added to this is that less competitive courses usually have a post-utme cut off mark of 50%; talk about courses in the Faculty of Education, some in Social Sciences, Arts and Science.
sir/ma, in the faculty of social sciences no cutoff point is below 60%, infant it's it's only in few courses that you see 50 something percent as entrance cutoffs, and yes you ui used written exam between 2011 and 15, but the oral interview has been the main stay from the day's of prof falase, and the university of ibadan don't take 3000students, bro get your fact right, infant its admission system is 60percent postgraduate and 40percent undergraduate, and who are the 3000students? the department of archeology that has an average of Twenty student per level or the faculty of pharmacy with a class size of less than 45per level, the faculty of social science is not always more than 60 per level(highest you find) with the exception of law and medicine..sir or ma I finished from ui with a 2:1, yet I see nothin special in any Nigeria school when I meet some of my friends" who went to Cambridge and Oxford on scholarship, I can stand them anytime but the difference lies in exposure, and the kind to cutting edge research they have been exposed to..I have nothing to gain by bragging about ui.
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by OLUWAFUNMISE(f): 7:39pm On Sep 30, 2016
Bla bla bla bla lipsrsealed
OBAFEMIawolowo:

1. University of Ibadan
5. University of Benin
6.university of Lagos
7. University of Ilorin
14. University of uyo
15. University of Jos
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by Nobody: 8:16pm On Sep 30, 2016
paulmarkino:
We are here checking university degree value when non of Nigerian University is been ranked in the first 5000 university in the whole world. Facebook owner is a dropout but he has made the difference in the society. Nigerian graduates can't make any difference.
University of Ibadan made the best 1000 universities in the world... Google it
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by omolorlarh: 8:21pm On Sep 30, 2016
UniosunGuy:
Tell dem!!!
I supporter you
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by Nobody: 8:23pm On Sep 30, 2016
monlawal:
who is giving out lecturing appointment? I'm interested
No appointments for now, still hoping for one soon.

1 Like

Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by son4century(m): 8:23pm On Sep 30, 2016
But u have already listed all the schools na
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by pyman11(m): 8:44pm On Sep 30, 2016
my perception is that 2.1 is 2.1 anywhere because if u can graduate with 2.1 in any university with determination u can do same in other university
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by ajayidayo2012: 8:56pm On Sep 30, 2016
You are absolutely right. I don't think OP knows about schools in Nigeria. From 1983 when Lagos State University was created till date no student has ever made a first class from the faculty of law. If anybody tells u that he made first in lasu studying law make bold to slap the person for telling lies. University of Ibadan produces 1st class students every year. When we get to law school the level playing ground, that's when u will wonder how some people especially from private school particularly igbinedion even graduate...state schools are harder abeg..
fineyemi:
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by anyisco(m): 9:12pm On Sep 30, 2016
Its ok
Re: A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities by Nobody: 9:20pm On Sep 30, 2016
op must be one of the guys in an india film '3 idiots '

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

FUNNY: See Where Students Are Reading For Their Exams. / Girl Seen Reading Beside The Gutter With Street Light (PHOTO) / 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.