Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,468 members, 7,819,712 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:31 PM

Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? (35965 Views)

Poll: Proud to be a citizen of Nigeria?

Yes: 80% (111 votes)
No: 19% (27 votes)
This poll has ended

Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? / Igbo Kwenu! Kwezuo Nu! Join Us If You're Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Go Down)

Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by gidig(m): 7:13pm On Mar 22, 2006
I have been reading what I consider the most passionate contributions I have ever read since I joined this forum.You guys have made me really proud.I am In Nigeria and I have loads of friends in the Uk and in North America. An Issue with the same theme came up weeks ago on a group I help moderate and the most incisive contribution was made by one of the members based in the UK.He said the 'going to the Uk because it is better' is just a myth as many who have gone are too ashamed to come back to Nigeria and face some of their mates who havce against all odds made some progress with ther lives.what I got from his contribution was that some Nigerians-the category who have been the nsubject of discussion on this topic- suffer from Inferiority complex and they allow the people they mee to strip them of their right to be pround of their Heritage.

In my NYSC days, I worked with a citizen of the UK and her friends who were in Nigeria on VSO assigments and thorugh discussions we had and the friendship we nurtured for about one year(she has stayed behind to settle in Nigeria), I have come to understand that this thing are more personal than institutional.

Someone once said that 'If you are a Lizard in Nigeria,going to America will not make you a crocodile'.These individuals are people allow their self esteem to be regulated by how the people they are trying to impress see them.History and research have proven that these individuals usually do not mount to much in life.They wont go through teh path less taken.In actual fact, Nigeria does not need them.We can afford to donate them to Jamaica and other country they adopt.

In the words of the colonel played by Al Pacino in the 'Scent of a woman my response would have been ' '_ _ _ _ all of you' Nigerians who deny who you are but as a well brought up Nigerian, good riddance and bye bye Jati jati.
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by Badman888(m): 7:23pm On Mar 22, 2006
N.A.I.J.A 4 life
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by mustafar1: 7:33pm On Mar 22, 2006
99.9% NAIJA, all the other things I am can share the .1% left over(remnant, ajeku etc)
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by afrobeat: 9:16pm On Mar 30, 2006
Outkast:

@afrobeat, that was genius lol
cheesy
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by beyunce(f): 10:28pm On Mar 30, 2006
N.A.I.J.A CHICK 4REAL.
Y THE HELL OR SHOULDA I SAY Y WONT I BE PROUD OF MY MOTHERS LAND.
NIGERIAN WRITTEN ALL OVER ME ITS A PRESTIGE.(NO BE ONLY 406 BE PRESTIGE)

smiley smiley smiley smiley
smiley smiley                       smiley      smiley            smiley
smiley    smiley                    smiley      smiley            smiley
smiley       smiley                 smiley      smiley            smiley
smiley         smiley               smiley      smiley            smiley
smiley           smiley             smiley      smiley            smiley
smiley             smiley           smiley      smiley            smiley
smiley               smiley         smiley      smiley            smiley
smiley                  smiley      smiley      smiley            smiley
smiley                     smiley   smiley      smiley    smiley smiley  smiley
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by xxshawtyxx(f): 3:11pm On Apr 06, 2006
smiley smiley smiley

Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by dafman(m): 3:30pm On Apr 06, 2006
love the neon signs, cool cool
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by kimba(m): 1:35am On Apr 09, 2006
[size=18pt]yES!! O[/size]
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by sade511(f): 1:48am On Apr 09, 2006
Omo Naija ni mi oooooooo, and I will remain one till the day that I die.
HOLLA!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by Shabas: 3:51pm On Apr 13, 2006
I was born in the UK and went to Nigeria with my parents at the age of 11. I attended a boarding school for the next six years after which I started a degree course at the Obafemi Awolowo University; this I discarded (after 12 months) due to incessant strikes and returned to the UK.

My secondary school days in Nigeria were fantastic; I was exposed to the hash and tough ordeals of studying Nigerian style. Having said this, my experience and Nigerian orientation has been the foundation of my success in life.

On coming back to the UK, my sole aim was to finish my degree course, get my masters and start off a little life. Fortunately, I have been able to achieve all this, "Though it's been hard work"

Most of my friends I left at OAU have done pretty well too. To my greatest surprise most have moved on and established flourishing careers.

Nigeria is not that bad now though. I've spent the past 1-year moving a lot of my investments out of Europe and reinvesting in Nigeria. The returns have been very good but doing business in Nigeria has been stressful mainly because I find it very hard to trust anyone, tips are the order of the day and most Nigerians simply lack the zeal and tenacity of being consistent. We'll get there eventually, "With time!"

For some funny reason, 80% of my friends are non-Nigerian so you can imagine what happens when the "Nigeria Negative Stuff Hits The Headlines". But to the greatest surprise of all my friends, (including the Nigerian ones) I started dating a Nigerian girl (who lived in Nigeria) we got married 6 months ago and we both now live in the UK. She is my pride and truly a wonderful African lady.

This is what makes me a proud Nigerian. I'm fairly successful and my desire to reinvest my wealth in my country through a family has now happened.
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by vichel(m): 3:59pm On Apr 13, 2006
cheesy cheesy Good for u that was nice cool
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by gidig(m): 5:05pm On Apr 13, 2006
shabas,

Just to let you know that I am proud of you and many other Naija folks with your kind of Spirit.
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by tassmal(m): 9:30pm On Apr 13, 2006
this thread seems to have a lot of people who live abroad. he i may bed my bit,i live in nigeria and i love it. it hard its unusual for most outsiders but it is good.every day i love this place.it is my land.i want to see it grow and flourish.i know there tough time will change. our name will one day be standard for good.let raise our voice and say it is our home we have no other.and make great. come good those who can.bring ideas.together we will turn de world
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by diddy4(m): 5:59am On May 01, 2006
i love my country nigeria, i am proud of it and i represent it as much as i can. i dont deny my country and i will never deny it. my nick name is Naija 4 Life, African till I Die. am all nigerian. since i came to d USA i have noticed that people deny being nigerians and it is so sad cos i know white folks that which they were from nigeria.
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by chinani(f): 7:03am On May 01, 2006
You know what's been making me proud lately?? The young Nigerians in America. They were born in Yankee like myself but they rep Naija 24/7. Many in my age group do not sad so it always comes as a surprise when I see my juniors like "What you know about that 011-234?". Lately I've been cruising my friend's online site. She's not Nigerian but I stumbled onto a person's page & this person was Nigerian. They had a sign that said "I REP NIGERIA" cheesy and after that I found many others like that! The music on the page said "For my Naija peps" and I got a great surprise when I turned on my speakers! I was so proud then! grin
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by Nobody: 9:20pm On May 01, 2006
Proud to be a Nigerian!

As corrupt as Nigeria is, she remains the fulcrum on which the whole of africa revolves. No serious nation fails to take advantage of our population (very significant in terms of being a large investment market). Nigeria's oil and gas deposits and other untapped resources.
Nigerians seem to be a special set of black pple, most of the best black footballers and sportsmen are Nigerians, entertainment wise we even export movies (we call them substandard) to other africa nations.
Most foreigners start with Nigeria when they talk about Africa.
In terms of education, we are at the very top (no offence to other no-nigerians) but it will take a mirale for other african nations to produce a wole soyinka or chinua achebe or the supercomputer whizz.
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by babymine(f): 9:23am On May 02, 2006
Sometimes. grin grin
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by virozuru(f): 7:36pm On May 02, 2006
oh yes! grin

Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by chinani(f): 9:36pm On May 02, 2006
That's fierce, Virozuru! cheesy cheesy cheesy kiss
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by nikitareal(f): 8:46pm On May 07, 2006
THUMBS UP 4 NIGERIA.inrespective of the goin-ons in nigeria,
I AM 100% PROUD 2 b a nigerian.
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by lovelyS(m): 3:09pm On May 08, 2006
NO COMMENT! I LOVE DIS COUNTRY

Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by eloquent(m): 10:43am On May 11, 2006
i am so proud of being a nigerian.this country is great if only we cld come together and 4get d past.i forsee a great nation with greaT people'NIGERIA'MY MOTHERLAND in my next life i'd like to still come as a nigerian
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by Rottweiler(m): 12:50pm On May 11, 2006
It ain't a matter of being proud to be a Nigerian. Do you have a choice? YOU ARE A NIGERIAN! You can't hide it! When you are black, possess big nose, naija eyes (eyes wey don c pepper - hardship). Your f**king root is here. A country with no vision. How many decades of independence and electricity supply to more than 120million people is less than 4000megawatts! The other day, I was with my family on a virgin atlantic flight enroute Heathrow, the lights in the aircraft were put off for takeoff and when they came back a naija child shouted UP NEPA! Some passengers laughed but I did not because the child's reaction is only a product of what's gwan in naija.

All said and done, I would say I am proud to be a Nigerian! Monkey no fine but him mama like. She get choice? I will defend my identity anywhere I go but when I am with fellow Naijas, we analyse and grumble angry
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by bolex(m): 4:04pm On May 21, 2006
haha

when I was in US, when I was asked

Where are you from ?

I say , London

Why , cos I study in London

But like duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You definitely know am a Nigerian ( or @ least an African )

& if asked

Where are you from originally

Yes, a proud Nigerian cool cool cool

Besides, am always Nigerian in nature

Sometimes, you wonder if I ever left Muritala Airport

But why, grin

AM A PROUD OMO NAIJA FOR LIFE
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by Uzzyan: 4:27pm On May 21, 2006
Nigeria i hail thee my own dear native land the tribe may differ in brotherhood we stand. If i deny my nairaland omo whereelse is there to say i come from is it from were they call my people black monkies no now let us be proud to proclaim it. I'm an arising compatriot. I can do any thing to make my country the best. I'm stayin in naija now and 4 like 3 wks we gat to light. We have to start from somewhere and we will be always be the giant of africa till tomorrow. Love you ma dear country.
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by GUNNER(f): 10:15pm On May 21, 2006
Yes ke  wink

Omo Naija 4 Ever kiss

Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by Uzzyan: 10:23pm On May 21, 2006
Gunner i bi real omo naija
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by GUNNER(f): 10:46pm On May 21, 2006
abi o!

arise o compatriots grin
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by Uzzyan: 11:30pm On May 21, 2006
Can we chat cos am on mobile and its so much free and u're the only one i can get to
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by GUNNER(f): 11:41pm On May 21, 2006
sure , start talking, i am all ears cheesy
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by IBBFan(m): 11:48pm On May 21, 2006
for now that NIGERIA still stands as 1, i am most proud to come from this country. in my next live[b]s[/b] (if Niger-Delta Republic hasn't detached), i will still represent Ijaw, 9-ja.

cool cool cool
IBB
Re: Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? by GUNNER(f): 11:50pm On May 21, 2006
Maradona u don reach this side 2  grin

i still dey wait u 4 dat place oooooo cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25)

Ijebu: Jebusites? What A Myth! / All Ile-ife Women Restricted Indoors Tonight / Photos From 2021 Osun Osogbo Festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.