Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,750 members, 7,809,868 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:22 PM

Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? (3938 Views)

I Have Been Sleeping With Your Wife – Man Tells Neighbour (pics) / Man Kills Big Catfish For His Wife To Celebrate The Birth Of Their Baby Boy / When Your Wife Is Taller Than You And You Need Support To Kiss Her (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by ChappyChase: 7:04am On Oct 10, 2016
Na poverty mentality go make me deny my wife access to the only family car, but it must be for important ocasions.. No be sey she wan go toilet she go come carry car key angry

2 Likes

Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by Rapmoney(m): 7:21am On Oct 10, 2016
PrettyClare7:
my mum used the only car in my own home for school run and her work + family errands. dad used the car once in a while till he got another 3 yrs later.
That was good of your dad wink Many men in our society hardly do that.
Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by Rapmoney(m): 7:23am On Oct 10, 2016
ChappyChase:
Na poverty mentality go make me deny my wife access to the only family car, but it must be for important ocasions.. No be sey she wan go toilet she go come carry car key angry
Lol!!! It's ChappyChase again! grin
Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by ChappyChase: 7:30am On Oct 10, 2016
Rapmoney:
Lol!!! It's ChappyChase again! grin
Hahahahahaha.
Baba o
Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by Nobody: 7:31am On Oct 10, 2016
Rapmoney:
You guys are getting it wrong. I'm not saying my friend has done badly. There are many men out there you wouldn't do such. I'm trying to make a comparison. Let's not be blinded here. The fact is that the number of men that wouldn't allow their wives access to the cars far outweighs those that would, but out of sentiments, we just pretend that it doesn't happen that way. Both of us know many Nigerian men don't give their wives access to the only car in the home. Good morning.

You may be right, the number of men who dont give their wives access to their only car may be many, but that doesn't mean that its right

You also seem to under estimate the number of responsible people out there.
I know that nairaland is full of stories that paints both men and women as demons all the time, but there are many many decent level headed men and women out there, running happy and peaceful homes, just that you don't get to hear it.

Unfortunately When people praise their partners or talk about their homes, people say they are showing off or lying so lets keep on hearing the bad stories. At least it makes one appreciate the good things more.

A man who fully understands the responsibilities involved in leadership, will not have a problem with making sure that his wife and kids are comfortable even at his own expense. If he wont sacrifice for his families comfort who will? is it his neighbour?

Being the man is not just about swallowing huge morsels of eba washed down with stout. The responsibility is huge. Your colleague understands that.
A man prancing round town in his Prado giving chicks rides while is wife is standing at a bus stop somewhere in the sun with a child strapped to her back and another child being held on her hand is a disappointment of a man.

Your colleague probably only drives to the office and parks while his wife does school runs, market runs, work and other running around.
He knows what he is doing.
His wife has not washed her panties into his efo as some people like to believe when a man is putting his wife and family first.

7 Likes

Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by Nobody: 7:35am On Oct 10, 2016
Rapmoney:
That was good of your dad wink Many men in our society hardly do that.

One by one they will learn
I Am seeing more and more women driving practical cars
I see wives driving the jeeps & people carriers and the husbands driving the smaller cars
The wives are the ones who do the school runs, and supermarket runs, taking the kids to lessons, etc
Its not about ego
Its about being practical, safety & making your family comfortable

3 Likes

Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by Nobody: 9:13am On Oct 10, 2016
There is absolutely nothing wrong. Do you expect her to take a taxi or bus to pick up the kids? undecided

Meanwhile, what's your business in this matter? Sure, he's your friend. But, that's his car. And more importantly, that's his family. If it works for them, or not, don't get involved.

1 Like

Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by Nobody: 9:26am On Oct 10, 2016
PrettyClare7:
my mum used the only car in my own home for school run and her work + family errands. dad used the car once in a while till he got another 3 yrs later.

Same thing, when I was younger. Back then, we had only one car, which my dad was using daily. He would drop us in school every morning, and the maid would pick us (3 kids, between the ages of 2 and 8 ) up from school every afternoon, in a cab. My mum didn't know how to drive then. After spending so much on cab fares for 2 months, he taught her how to drive. Then he bought a car for her so that she wouldn't bash use his. Hence, avoiding situations like this thread.

grin
Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by SirVintageCock: 12:18pm On Oct 10, 2016
Women here dey vex. Already up in arms against the OP.

1 Like

Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by missjo(f): 12:43pm On Oct 10, 2016
PaperLace:
Why the aggressiveness and attack on the OP.
Calm down and read his post, this time without bias...he was/is obviously in support of the man's action.
Una no dey waste time to launch attack...
Nawa o

@OP, it's normal to some men_ it isn't normal to others.
I have a friend whose husband has refused to teach her how to drive because she would be dragging car with him (they have just 1 car), that was exactly how he put it.
Thought I was the only one to notice that,lol.
Seems like the gender war that I see goes on here has permanently left scars on too many people.
Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by missjo(f): 12:49pm On Oct 10, 2016
tearoses:

You may be right, the number of men who dont give their wives access to their only car may be many, but that doesn't mean that its right

You also seem to under estimate the number of responsible people out there.
I know that nairaland is full of stories that paints both men and women as demons all the time, but there are many many decent level headed men and women out there, running happy and peaceful homes, just that you don't get to hear it.

Unfortunately When people praise their partners or talk about their homes, people say they are showing off or lying so lets keep on hearing the bad stories. At least it makes one appreciate the good things more.

A man who fully understands the responsibilities involved in leadership, will not have a problem with making sure that his wife and kids are comfortable even at his own expense. If he wont sacrifice for his families comfort who will? is it his neighbour?

Being the man is not just about swallowing huge morsels of eba washed down with stout. The responsibility is huge. Your colleague understands that.
A man prancing round town in his Prado giving chicks rides while is wife is standing at a bus stop somewhere in the sun with a child strapped to her back and another child being held on her hand is a disappointment of a man.

Your colleague probably only drives to the office and parks while his wife does school runs, market runs, work and other running around.
He knows what he is doing.
His wife has not washed her panties into his efo as some people like to believe when a man is putting his wife and family first.

How you always manage to pass your opinions so effectively and objectively is refreshing to me smiley

1 Like

Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by 5minsmadness: 12:59pm On Oct 10, 2016
Rapmoney:
A friend and colleague of mine at work bought a Toyota Camry early this year. Ever since he bought the car, he has only driven it to work twice.

I inquired recently, to know why he doesn't use the car to come to work, since his residence is far from the workplace. He told me that his wife is the one who uses the car; that he only drives on Sundays...probably, taking the family to church. He wanted sufficient comfort for his wife and kids. To him, he could sort his way out even if it means getting up early to wait at the bus stand.

How many men would do this if there's just one car?

Most men do this. If there is only one car in the family and the wife knows how to drive, she eventually takes over the car. The man finds himself using the car less often, especially when he doesnt seriously need it. Its actually more convenient as it frees him from running random errands for the wife.

If the wife does not know how to drive, the husband finds that most times he has to take her places with the car. Wether it be the market place or to help with school run for the kids and whatnot. It can honestly become quite frustrating and most times the men enroll thier wives for driving school so they can have some of thier freedom back.

Your question of how many men do this presupposes you dont have many friends that are married. Ask around for those couples that have only one car, its a pretty common occurrence.

1 Like

Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by 5minsmadness: 1:04pm On Oct 10, 2016
Rapmoney:
It is good people remain silent when they don't comprehend issues. Where in the post did I say I'm against his decision? I'm just trying to use his decision to compare the attitude of some men I have seen who would never allow their wives to drive, even for once.

These men are few. And the arrangement hardly lasts as they find thier decision turns them into the family driver.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by 5minsmadness: 1:08pm On Oct 10, 2016
Rapmoney:
Thank you very much, my sister. I posted this because a lot of men in the part of the country I reside in find it difficult to do this. They would rather drive to work and allow their wives and children trek under the scorching sun! Some would never compromise the car key even if their office is located in the next street.
Which part of the country is this pls?

2 Likes

Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by 5minsmadness: 1:10pm On Oct 10, 2016
ifyalways:
How is this strange or new? This is actually the norm! , or at least in my own world.

The only car, best car( in terms of safety, operation and efficiency) is for the wife and children ;the considerate husband and best daddy manual 1800.
It is the norm everywhere, from when i was little to when i grew up. Dont know what part of the country op grew up in.

1 Like

Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by 5minsmadness: 1:11pm On Oct 10, 2016
Rapmoney:
You guys are getting it wrong. I'm not saying my friend has done badly. There are many men out there you wouldn't do such. I'm trying to make a comparison. Let's not be blinded here. The fact is that the number of men that wouldn't allow their wives access to the cars far outweighs those that would, but out of sentiments, we just pretend that it doesn't happen that way. Both of us know many Nigerian men don't give their wives access to the only car in the home. Good morning.

Modifed.
The bolded statement is very very false. I grew up in the south and have been priviledged to work in the east and western part of this country. It is a common occurrence in families with one car for the wife to have more acces to it. It has nothing to do with pride or manliness, its just the more practicable thing to do. She runs more of the errand while the man is away at work. If she doesnt drive she'll be disturbing oga non stop.

Yes there are families where the man will drive to work under AC car and leave his wife and kids to be struggling with okada, but that is the rarity and certainly not normal.

4 Likes

Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by raumdeuter: 2:08pm On Oct 10, 2016
5minsmadness:

It is the norm everywhere, from when i was little to when i grew up. Don't know what part of the country op grew up in.

The only men I know that will keep the car are those that do regular long distance travel for work and the few ones I knw the moment they are transferred closer home they quickly taught their wives to drive and hand her the keys except for SUndays when the man drives to church

Do you think any man wants to be called everytime to drive to market?

Once you have kids, the safety and comfort of the children is priority and whoever is mostly available to pick them up at school and drop them off has the car keys

3 Likes

Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by luciouscookie: 2:26pm On Oct 10, 2016
missjo:

How you always manage to pass your opinions so effectively and objectively is refreshing to me smiley
I so much love that woman

1 Like

Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Oct 10, 2016
Rapmoney:
Thank God I have someone who understands my post. In fact, I even admire the love and care my colleague has for his wife. Though, I'm not married...I have one car now. When I get married and my wife doesn't have a car of her own, I see no reason why she shouldn't drive my car when she wants to. If she doesn't know how to drive, I will teach her personally.

Many of the people who have dropped comments are just pretending as if they don't know what happens in different homes where the man is the only one that drives. There are even homes with more than one car but the man drives all of them alone!
I guess you were misunderstood.
It isn't actually rare_ it should be the norm or is the norm, for that one friend who doesn't get to use the family car, I have another with two cars_ her husband has just one. I have others who drive the only family car too...I have the one that doesn't even wanna know how to drive (observing this one from afar, you'll think her innocent husband doesn't want to release the car).

It's the ideal and practical thing to do, considering the fact that she gets to run more errands.
In most cases where the man refuses to release the car, he will turn family driver be that...and na him go tire finally.

I just didn't wanna go on and on about all my comfortable friends_ make e no be like braggadocio. grin
lol @ missjo.
This one pass me o

3 Likes

Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by missjo(f): 2:39pm On Oct 10, 2016
luciouscookie:

I do too. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Oct 10, 2016
missjo:

Thank you very much kiss

luciouscookie:

Awwwwww
kiss

3 Likes

Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Oct 10, 2016
5minsmadness:

These men are few. And the arrangement hardly lasts as they find thier decision turns them into the family driver.

Does it change anything? cool
"Dads taxi" is the best anyday grin
You just hop in when he is going out and say you are going to one place when infact you have 5 places in mind grin

1 Like

Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by cococandy(f): 4:38pm On Oct 10, 2016
First of all it's the family car not his personal car let's get that straight.
Now that there are kids involved, as always their comfort comes first. so whoever is with them the most gets to drive the car the most. be it husband or wife.
If we had one car and my husband has to take our kids to school before heading to work, I'll gladly take the bus. The kids always come first.

Stop making a big issue out of nothing. The way you came to create a thread about makes it seem like the guy is extraordinary. No he's just a loving parent.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Oct 10, 2016
tearoses:

Does it change anything? cool
"Dads taxi" is the best anyday grin
You just hop in when he is going out and say you are going to one place when infact you have 5 places in mind grin

So, you're also invested in this scam? Grandma, I thought you were a saint. grin I hate that move like hell. Absolutely frustrating. grin. But this is wickedness. Why do you guys do this? Can't you just list all places you want to get to beforehand? angry

2 Likes

Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Oct 10, 2016
Timbuktou:

So, you're also invested in this scam as well? I hate that move like hell. Absolutely frustrating. grin. But this is wickedness. Why do you guys do this? Can't you just list all places you want to get to beforehand? angry

If she lists them all will you go? grin
of course not, you will just complain cool

Ah honey are you going past church? I need to quickly drop something off . .
And I wanted to cook jollof rice o! lemme quickly stop at the shop to buy that turkey that you like
(then I will come out with 20 items from the shop)
. . . . and like that like that till I run all my errands grin

1 Like

Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Oct 10, 2016
Timbuktou:

So, you're also invested in this scam? Grandma, I thought you were a saint. grin I hate that move like hell. Absolutely frustrating. grin. But this is wickedness. Why do you guys do this? Can't you just list all places you want to get to beforehand? angry

For where?
Saint ko
mother Theresa ni grin
if I dabaru account for you, you will fear cool grin
Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Oct 10, 2016
tearoses:

If she lists them all will you go? grin
of course not, you will just complain cool

Ah honey are you going past church? I need to quickly drop something off . .
And I wanted to cook jollof rice o! lemme quickly stop at the shop to buy that turkey that you like
(then I will come out with 20 items from the shop)
. . . . and like that like that till I run all my errands grin

I will go na, why not? I can be stupidly "caring", though I'm faaaarrr from romantic.

Here's what I mean. If she wanted to go to all these places, she would actually stand a better chance of listing them out before we leave the house o. I might go to all, or pick the ones that work for me and then some compromise. If you try this trick, madam you will keep a long face for as long as you like, because when I satisfy my conscience I will drive home or wherever I had planned. Pata pata, we will make up in a most mutually beneficial manner. How do you know I've not timed the length of the journey in such a way as to get one in time for a Chelsea match or some other important plan.

The one about the turkey and jollof, no wahala. I will just put my hand on my head and say, "ah, Iya yii ti gba mi sha." grin. And I will console myself with the thought of the delicacy to come while stealing into the kitchen to pick at pieces of meat. grin
Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Oct 10, 2016
tearoses:

For where?
Saint ko
mother Theresa ni grin
if I dabaru account for you, you will fear cool grin

Lol. I know you're just being modest. I will overlook the humble self-destruction. My heart does not lie. grin
Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Oct 10, 2016
Timbuktou:

I will go na, why not? I can be stupidly "caring", though I'm faaaarrr from romantic.

Here's what I mean. If she wanted to go to all these places, she would actually stand a better chance of listing them out before we leave the house o. I might go to all, or pick the ones that work for me and then some compromise. If you try this trick, madam you will keep a long face for as long as you like, because when I satisfy my conscience I will drive home or wherever I had planned. Pata pata, we will make up in a most mutually beneficial manner. How do you know I've not timed the length of the journey in such a way as to get one in time for a Chelsea match or some other important plan.

The one about the turkey and jollof, no wahala. I will just put my hand on my head and say, "ah, Iya yii ti gba mi sha." grin. And I will console myself with the thought of the delicacy to come while stealing into the kitchen to pick at pieces of meat. grin

As she don enter your car, you will have to go everywhere o! grin
I don't pull long faces cos that wont work. There is a time and a place for that one.
by the time I dear and darling and sweetheart you & joor nawwwwwwwwww you and rub your cheek tire you will just go.

You say you are not romantic
romantic is not always about flowers and candle light dinners
when a woman knows that you are doing something that you wouldn't normally do, it carrys the same weight as romance
Those little little gestures & a great sense if humour do go a long way

1 Like

Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Oct 10, 2016
Timbuktou:

Lol. I know you're just being modest. I will overlook the humble self-destruction. My heart does not lie. grin

Okay o!
just dont give me your money to hold or count lipsrsealed
Even the kids dont give me their money to hold embarassed grin
Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Oct 10, 2016
tearoses:

As she don enter your car, you will have to go everywhere o! grin
I don't pull long faces cos that wont work. There is a time and a place for that one.
by the time I dear and darling and sweetheart you & joor nawwwwwwwwww you and rub your cheek tire you will just go.

You say you are not romantic
romantic is not always about flowers and candle light dinners
when a woman knows that you are doing something that you wouldn't normally do, it carrys the same weight as romance
Those little little gestures & a great sense if humour do go a long way

Oya na, she must then compensate somehow, because who can say no to a well-presented request con?! I surrender o.

Well, I've been condemned as not capable of romance in the past and I now wear it like a badge of honour. I'm all about the gestures really, tangible and valuable.

I think I will go with the kids where the issue of money is concerned. Even my mother cannot be trusted with money. Try asking for it back and hear the story of creation more detailed than Moses's rendition.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Allow Your Wife To Drive The Only Family Car? by johnson232: 6:07pm On Oct 10, 2016
Dyt:
Aproko
Eke
Advice him to take it from her na
Kilo kan e
You know that is the right thing to do.. wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

8 Ways To Make Your Wife Love You More / How My Maid F**cks Me With My Parent’s Approval / Billionaire Otedola's Baby Mama Opens Can Of Worms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.