Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,663 members, 7,816,701 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:39 PM

UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty (17229 Views)

"Do Not Revenge Herdsmen Attacks" - Buhari Appeals To Victims Of Attacks / Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku / Reps Move To Abolish State, LGA Joint Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by omenkaGrazing: 3:48pm On Oct 10, 2016
No way!!!

The death penalty should not be abolished for any reason.

I am shocked that we have not executed criminals since 2013. What are we waiting for

There are some demons in human form that should not be allowed to live.

#YestoDeathPenatly.

1 Like

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Yian1(m): 3:50pm On Oct 10, 2016
Lilimax:
For your dream abi? embarassed
e no surprise me, wen you no sabi d meaning of 'looting'
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by yeyeboi(m): 3:50pm On Oct 10, 2016
bayelsaowei:
your blood dey hot...you want make them hang buhari too??.. grin grin grin grin

As long as him sef corrupt he should be left out angry
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Donwizbro(m): 3:51pm On Oct 10, 2016
Yeah, when the real shekau is caught.
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Lilimax(f): 3:58pm On Oct 10, 2016
Yian1:

e no surprise me, wen you no sabi d meaning of 'looting'
Na today embarassed
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by rafcrown(m): 3:59pm On Oct 10, 2016
WAITING LIST OF THOSE TO BE EXECUTED
ARMED ROBBERS
KIDNAPPERS
RITUALISTS
MILITANTS
BOKO HARAAM/HALAL?
CORRUPT JUDGES
ETC
UK TO ADVISE CRIMINALS FIRST Before PLEADING
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Originalsly: 4:06pm On Oct 10, 2016
4 death penalties sin e 2011?... Nigeria.. a democracy.. should abolish death penalties...what about the US?...Champions of democracy?... where for this year Texas has executed more people that Nigeria has in over ten years or more....has plans to execute people that have proven to be innocent. Is the US an exception?
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by sparko1(m): 4:11pm On Oct 10, 2016
kidman96:
Lol... If they see the state of Nigerian Prisons they will beg the Nigerian Government to increase the number of death penalties every year. Because a life sentence in a Nigerian Prison is worse than the death penalty.
This and the fact that we don't have enough prison facilities to hold criminals, you hear of prisoners breaking out of prison. The best we can do for them is allow them to rise in peace.
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by bayelsaowei(m): 4:12pm On Oct 10, 2016
yeyeboi:

As long as him sef corrupt he should be left out angry
grin grin grin..hope you know as the president he would dictate the tune...

i await the day our government would exceute a non biased fight against corruption...

1 Like

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Fabulosdave01: 4:14pm On Oct 10, 2016
They should make death penalty compulsory for our polictians.
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by bobbybrown007: 4:19pm On Oct 10, 2016
DONSMITH123:
The UK on Monday appealed to Nigeria to abolish the death penalty, saying that capital punishment cheapened human life.
The UK made the appeal in a statement issued by the British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Paul Arkwright, on the 2016 World Day against the Death Penalty.

Arkwright said that the British Government believed the death penalty had no place in the modern world and its use undermined human dignity.

According to him, there is no conclusive evidence of its deterrent value, adding that any miscarriage of justice leading to its imposition is irreversible and irreparable.

He explained that the past two decades had seen a significant rise in the number of countries that had abolished capital punishment.

“I am concerned therefore that Nigeria, a model for democracy in Africa, still retains the death penalty in its laws.

“In 2013 Nigeria carried out four executions, the first since 2006.

“At the time of the execution, all four individuals still had appeals to halt their executions, a violation of international law and I believe Nigerian law too.”

He said while no death sentence had been implemented since 2013, Nigeria had more than 1,000 prisoners on death row, the highest number of death sentences in Africa.

“In 2015, Nigeria recorded 171 death sentences. This year too, there have been death sentences handed down by Nigerian courts,” he said.

http://dailypost.ng/2016/10/10/uk-appeals-nigeria-abolish-death-penalty/
they should first tell that to china,malyesia, emirate countries and so on
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by happney65: 4:25pm On Oct 10, 2016
Buhari i know say you no get sense..But on this abeg use sense small ohh..No mind them at all,Na Beg i Beg..The Death Penalty must not be Abolished..Some People are meant to pay for heinous crimes committed as long as they have being proven guilty..

Thank You

1 Like

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by postmann: 4:26pm On Oct 10, 2016
DONSMITH123:
The UK on Monday appealed to Nigeria to abolish the death penalty, saying that capital punishment cheapened human life.
The UK made the appeal in a statement issued by the British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Paul Arkwright, on the 2016 World Day against the Death Penalty.

Arkwright said that the British Government believed the death penalty had no place in the modern world and its use undermined human dignity.

According to him, there is no conclusive evidence of its deterrent value, adding that any miscarriage of justice leading to its imposition is irreversible and irreparable.

He explained that the past two decades had seen a significant rise in the number of countries that had abolished capital punishment.

“I am concerned therefore that Nigeria, a model for democracy in Africa, still retains the death penalty in its laws.

“At the time of the execution, all four individuals still had appeals to halt their executions, a violation of international law and I believe Nigerian law too.”

He said while no death sentence had been implemented since 2013, Nigeria had more than 1,000 prisoners on death row, the highest number of death sentences in Africa.

“In 2015, Nigeria recorded 171 death sentences. This year too, there have been death sentences handed down by Nigerian courts,” he said.

And the UK, just like the US, still struts about the globe with a false sense of morality. Where as she is yet to make proper recompense/apologies for engaging in human slavery and economic pillage from over half the globe for over a century. From unlawful invasion of Iraq and Libya to intimidation of poor African countries who said no to homosexuality.

Why not tell us the downsides of the abolition of the death penalty: like emboldening hard criminals who will be further persuaded to commit murder or kidnapping, knowing they'd be keeping their lives after all. Or the ever-looming possibility of a prison break, or being in custody but committing more evil through proxies or other accomplice.

The UK, just like her unruly son, the United States, should keep their noses stuck in their own putrid stench coming right from their anus.

1 Like

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by skywalker001(m): 4:35pm On Oct 10, 2016
EXLOVER:
Sometimes the way this UK people are thinking ehn is letting me hate them o, how can they say Nigeria should not play penalty, for what nah? So we should be playing only freekick abi, and the England boys wil be playing our boys rough anyhow inside the eighteen yard box. I'm just tired of this uk people, first they colonise us, na they want to colonise our football.
recession don dy affect ur brain understanding too ?
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Nobody: 4:37pm On Oct 10, 2016
In this austerity period? are they going to provide the feeding?
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by EXLOVER(m): 4:39pm On Oct 10, 2016
skywalker001:
recession don dy affect ur brain understanding too ?
what is recession, is it the new disease in town?
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Yian1(m): 4:39pm On Oct 10, 2016
[quote author=Lilimax post=50084704] Na today embarassed[/quote
no wonder
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Yian1(m): 4:42pm On Oct 10, 2016
[quote author=Lilimax post=50084704] Na today embarassed[/quote
no wonder
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by donnie(m): 4:52pm On Oct 10, 2016
The death penalty was carried out in the days of old with God's approval through his prophets and judges. Judgement was based on absolute truth, many times, as revealed by His prophets.

Today it is not so. Imperfect men are custodians of the law. The judges pass judgement based on facts available and not on truth. If it is possible to pass a death sentence upon an innocent man (as that has happened before) it should be abolished. The consequences of killing an innocent man are too grave to imagine.

I sha have my reservations bordering around the capability and sincerity of our law enforcement agencies and our justice system as a whole.
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Nobody: 5:02pm On Oct 10, 2016
The motion is a good one. But considering the population of this country, economy and crime rate, I don't think the time is right. Austerity breeze blows constantly. Try googling how much the US spend on prisoners annually. The Death penalty reduces the number of offenders we have to cater for as the law-abiding citizens don't even have enough. Food was allocated to the displaced in IDP camps and some idiots took it for themselves. I don't doubt the possibility of the top officials taking the prisons allocation for themselves. Not long ago did we hear about their subordinates receiving bribes to allow inmates use electronic gadgets. I in no way think Nigeria is ready to abolish the death penalty.
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by ManTiger(m): 5:04pm On Oct 10, 2016
What about capital punishment for fantastically corrupt public officers just like they have in China, Indonesia, Malaysia et al?
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Readwhan02(m): 5:07pm On Oct 10, 2016
RosaConsidine:
Our death sentences of late are largely cosmetic. Most of them end up being commuted to life. Still i think the death sentence is archaic and should have no place in modern law and justice.

Except in certain cases of crimes against humanity.
like dasuki's case
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by skywalker001(m): 5:14pm On Oct 10, 2016
EXLOVER:
what is recession, is it the new disease in town?
oh u know...
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by yeyeboi(m): 5:17pm On Oct 10, 2016
bayelsaowei:
grin grin grin..hope you know as the president he would dictate the tune...

i await the day our government would exceute a non biased fight against corruption...

Me sef dey wait
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by EXLOVER(m): 5:49pm On Oct 10, 2016
skywalker001:
oh u know...
my guy wetin be time for Nigeria? My Nigeria babe say make i call her by 8pm
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by skywalker001(m): 5:53pm On Oct 10, 2016
EXLOVER:
my guy wetin be time for Nigeria? My Nigeria babe say make i call her by 8pm
dont u see say my moniker na skywalker not google
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by bigtt76(f): 6:13pm On Oct 10, 2016
Let them make UK VISA-free to Nigerians then we will stop the death penarity grin

DONSMITH123:

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by madridsta007(m): 6:18pm On Oct 10, 2016
DONSMITH123:

Colonialist talk. Let him talk to his friends in the United States and Saudi Arabia.
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by CuteTj(m): 6:24pm On Oct 10, 2016
When I am even thinking on petitioning the senate to add kidnapping and oil bunkering to the list of crimes that carry death penalty...
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Nobody: 6:48pm On Oct 10, 2016
They should first tell their friends and allied Americans to stop death penalty.
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Cletus77(m): 6:50pm On Oct 10, 2016
HarkymTheOracle:

A blind guy visited his choir mistress at home and found her bathing. since he was blind, she let him in. After bathing, she came out naked with legs spread and shaving in front of him and tried to make a conversation by asking him, brother John, what brings you here? Is everything OK at home? He replied, yes o, very fine. I came to tell you that I have done the eye surgery and I can see very clearly now.grin
wich kind play be dis na...

1 Like

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Cletus77(m): 6:52pm On Oct 10, 2016
Justice should be left for the lord..!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Only Crazy People Will Say I Did Not Visit Buhari – tinubu / 'Buhari Has Been Very Tolerant Of Saraki’ - Ita-Giwa / Afenifere: Buhari Can’t Be Trusted On Third Term Plot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.