Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,008 members, 7,821,534 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

What Lawyers Did To The 3rd Arm Of Government Amounts To A Coup. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Lawyers Did To The 3rd Arm Of Government Amounts To A Coup. (479 Views)

Buhari Read His Speech Like A Coup D’etat Announcement - Abdulmumin Jibrin / Nigerian Army Denies Planning A Coup Against Buhari / Gbajabiamila Writes Chinese Leader•’fayose’s Letter Amounts To Sabotage’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Lawyers Did To The 3rd Arm Of Government Amounts To A Coup. by onomeasike: 11:00am On Oct 11, 2016
I read the different correspondences between the DSS and the NJC as unearthed by ThisDay Newspaper and I came to the conclusion that there are still patriots in the Land.
Apparently, for years some criminally minded lawyers have been hiding behind the NJC and using the NJC to intimidate other agencies, citizens etc.
From the letters, the NJC, like it would have done in the past, wanted to intimidate the DSS but they had their match in the DSS.It took the DSS reminding the CJN the law of the land before he approved that a corrupt Pindiga should go and face DSS. Imagine!! shocked
Now the NJC has been demystified not on the path of honor but shameful conduct.

The NJC is not an equivalent of the third arm, the judiciary is not made up of lawyers alone and little wonder some people practicing law in the bar and bench feel that they are the third arm of government. Third arm of government isn't NJC or NBA, it's what we permitted over the years.The citizens should henceforth take up more participation in the judiciary. We can start by pushing for a law for electing judicial officers and all elective slots shouldn't be for only lawyers or devolve the responsibility of the NJC so the Chief Justice just faces purely legal duties not the issues relating to discipline. We hired them, we pay their salary, we should have a way to punish them if they mess up like they have done in this manner. They promoted their selfish interest and professional camaraderie above the national interest.

The whole law setting up the NJC should be reviewed before they further disgrace the country.
I just realized that lawyers hijacked what should otherwise be the third arm of government of the people who make up the country, they hijacked the judiciary and relegated the other stakeholders(citizens,litigants,community leaders,local government, law enforcement agencies, prison, non lawyer professionals working in the judiciary etc) in the judiciary to the background and suddenly ascribe their professional interests as the interest of all the stakeholders of the judiciary. This is a coup!!! sad
The lawyers should be stripped of their dominance of the judiciary,it is our judiciary not the lawyers judiciary!!

It's time we restructure the judiciary.
Re: What Lawyers Did To The 3rd Arm Of Government Amounts To A Coup. by Pieromania: 11:12am On Oct 11, 2016
I stil maintain my assertion that Nigeria needs dictatorial approach and executive rascality to nip corruption in the bud
Corruption in Nigeria is too endemic to be expunge through legal and democratic means.Our Judiciary under democratic dispensation stinks more than the military era
Re: What Lawyers Did To The 3rd Arm Of Government Amounts To A Coup. by mikolo80: 3:15am On Oct 12, 2016
Pieromania:
I stil maintain my assertion that Nigeria needs dictatorial approach and executive rascality to nip corruption in the bud
Corruption in Nigeria is too endemic to be expunge through legal and democratic means.Our Judiciary under democratic dispensation stinks more than the military era
not necessarily
Legal means we're used to shut down the mafia
You just need a dedicated planner
Also carrot can be used to fight corruption effectively.
What you want is vengeance not anti corruption

(1) (Reply)

Jimoh Ibrahim To Replace Eyitayo Jegede As PDP Governorship Candidate In Ondo St / Still On Mohammadu-aisha Buhari Saga: What Do You Think? / Buhari Trip To Germany Was For Medical Treatment — Junaid Mohammed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.