Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,631 members, 7,816,600 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:45 PM

It Is Not True! President Buhari Did Not Appoint Supreme Court Justices. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It Is Not True! President Buhari Did Not Appoint Supreme Court Justices. (519 Views)

Buhari Did Not Appoint Amaechi As Campaign DG – Presidency / Buhari Did Not Lie About My Father - Ojukwu's Son / Owie: If My Wife Does What Aisha Buhari Did She'll Return To Her Parents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

It Is Not True! President Buhari Did Not Appoint Supreme Court Justices. by drpossibilities(m): 11:11am On Oct 12, 2016
It Is Not True! President Buhari Did Not Appoint Supreme Court Justices.

I have seen a lot of people sharing online newspaper links with excitement that President Buhari has appointed two northern supreme court to fill in the vacancies at the apex court

It is more painful to see that our newspapers have gone to the dogs with the mischievous headline: " Buhari appoints two northern supreme court justices"

For the record, President Buhari does not have the constitutional power to appoint judges of superior court of record, that is solely the prerogative of National Judicial Council.

According to 1999 constitution, It is the job of the NJC to recommend the eligible names to the President who in turn will forward the name of the candidates for screening and subsequent approval to National Assembly.

That was exactly what President Buhari did today and he is in order.

Going forward, President Buhari did not flout any law by forwarding these 2 names to National Assembly and this is the reason why as was written by my senior friend Barrister Onyebuchi Ememanka

The two nominees are meant to replace two Justices that are retiring. Indeed, one of them, Justice Suleiman Galadima retired yesterday. He is from Nassarawa State. The next person that will retire shortly is the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Mahmoud Mohammed who is from Taraba State.

As you can see, the nominees are from the same states as the ones leaving.

The Supreme Court bench is empaneled in such a way as to reflect federal character. Each of the six geopolitical zones of the country has at least two Justices of the Court at any time. When any of the Justices retire, his replacement must come from the same zone.
That is how it works.

Fellow Southerners, each zone of the South has at least two Justices of the Supreme Court presently.

The South East has Justices Sylvester Nwali Ngwuta from Ebonyi and Justice Mary Ukaego Peter Odili, who though married to a Rivers man was born in Mbaise, Imo State. In the case of married women, they usually have a choice between their states of birth and marriage in matters like this. Then there is Justice Chima Centus Nwaeze, Phd from Enugu State, I think.

The South West has Justice Bode Rhodes Vivour, Justice Kudirat M O Kekere Ekun and Justice Olukayode Ariwola.

The South South has Chief Justice designate, Walter Nkanu Onnonghen from Cross River State and John Inyang Okoro from Akwa Ibom State my senior friend concluded

The country is already overcharged so let us not overheat the polity with news like this that is not true.

I still hope and believe that Buhari will write his name in Gold, it is not too late yet but for this appointment, he did not commit any offence. he acted according to the provisions of 1999 Constitution.

Chukwudi Iwuchukwu, Legal Practitioner and Blogger
Re: It Is Not True! President Buhari Did Not Appoint Supreme Court Justices. by AirFireEarthH20: 11:20am On Oct 12, 2016
Them don start...

(1) (Reply)

Osun, GEMS4 Sign MOU To Create Markets For Local Products. PICS / Ikotun Residents Discover The Corpse Of A Newborn Baby In A Gutter (graphic Pic) / Leave My Wife Alone: Femi Fani-kayode Dares President Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.