Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,761 members, 7,813,529 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:28 PM

Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law (11113 Views)

Buhari Passed 8 Bills Into Law. / The 8 Bills Signed Into Law By Buhari / Amina Ali's HIV Test Result Is Negative - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by SalomonKane: 10:02am On Oct 13, 2016
A welcome development. At least let the era of word of mouth go into oblivion.

They should also have made it mandatory that any man or woman who lied about their H.I.V status when courting would be given 12 stroke of the bulala!. grin
Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by Deeypeey(m): 10:02am On Oct 13, 2016
n
Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by muhamadnur: 10:03am On Oct 13, 2016
DeltaOil:
The Law every nigerian should seek is law against marrying minors.

See the Emir of Katsina married an abducted minor.

https://www.nairaland.com/3404472/emir-katsina-abducts-marrys-christian

This is a greater problem now in Nigeria
1 nigeria and 2 different regions south and north islam and christianity, go drink ur alcohol,do ur adultries etc we dnt f-ucking care. Ur bussines our busines.
Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by frankloloko: 10:04am On Oct 13, 2016
Lab errors nkor ??
Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by Nobody: 10:05am On Oct 13, 2016
sinaj:
yea I think no church will wed you without running hiv nd other std test on the intending couple.
The stigmatization thereafter becomes that of the highest order. These priest blab about their church members, same as the nurses blab about their patients.

justmenoni:

Contradictory !!!! which sane Nigerian or jigawa indigene and resident will get or will want to get married to an HIV Patient, isn't that DISCRIMINATION already?
You couldn't be any clearer. That is discrimination redefined!

1 Like

Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by zeedof(m): 10:09am On Oct 13, 2016
1x2x3:
How about after marriage? Some men still go out.
Some men still go out to meet with men abi?
Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by DeltaOil: 10:12am On Oct 13, 2016
muhamadnur:
1 nigeria and 2 different regions south and north islam and christianity, go drink ur alcohol,do ur adultries etc we dnt f-ucking care. Ur bussines our busines.

Better than kidnapping & abusing minors!

And you know that u cant do without the south, angry
while the south is better off without you. grin
Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by justmenoni: 10:13am On Oct 13, 2016
EXACTLY, If you don't want to discriminate why then is a medical condition required before TWO ADULTS can go ahead and get married, it's their right to determine their health status and not a liability by the govt to decide who they get married to....

jagugu88li:
The stigmatization thereafter becomes that of the highest order. These priest blab about their church members, same as the nurses blab about their patients.

. You couldn't be any clearer. That is discrimination redefined!

3 Likes

Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by 1x2x3: 10:15am On Oct 13, 2016
steppin:

Cross the bridge first.

Nah!! Crossing the bridge doesn't actually mean crossing to a better place...... You could cross over to enemy Frontline.

I will advise women to go to school, obtain a good result and hopefully be productive. Don't remain in a marriage with someone who is promiscuous all because your survival depends on him. Sometimes I see what married women go through and when you look closely you notice she isn't self sufficient enough to handle the financial challenges ahead if she quits.

I support the bill but it shouldn't stop there. HIV positive people can still live healthy and normal life, some other diseases even kill faster so they should make arrangements for HIV positive match making. Make konji no kill people.
Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by Nobody: 10:16am On Oct 13, 2016
I support this bill 1000% smiley......Please they should start this bill sharply, all those idiots fvcking upandan without protection and shamelessly wanting to get married, they don hear am cheesy
Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by drnoel: 10:19am On Oct 13, 2016
EdifiedCEO:
Jigawa State House of Assembly has passed a bill which makes it mandatory for all intending couples to undergo test for HIV/AIDs, twice, in the last three months, before marriage is contracted.

Making this known at yesterday’s plenary, Chairman of the Committee on the control of HIV/AIDs, Ibrahim Suleman Gwiwa, noted that the bill intended to provide free and compulsory HIV/AID test before marriage, as well prohibit all forms of discrimination and stigmatisation against people living with the virus.

Gwiwa said the bill became imperative following the widespread of the killer disease among couples in the state.

He explained that in the bill, Sharia and Magistrate Courts would have jurisdiction to try HIV/AIDs related offences and added that, on the other hand, Association for People living with HIV/AIDs and State Agency for the Control of AIDs would be deployed for enforcement at all levels.

“Intending couples should submit themselves together to the same facility and the result should be open to them by the counsellor at the same time.

“Tests should be done twice, three months and two weeks to the marriage and the bill indicates that Shariah and Magistrate Courts in the state have jurisdiction to try offences under the law.”

http://www.newshelm.com/2016/10/jigawa-passes-no-hiv-test-no-marriage.html

I sometimes wonder what Nigerians where thinking when they elected these people. This bill is a waste of tax payers money in the state of jigawa.
Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by modsfucker: 10:20am On Oct 13, 2016
With the kind of structure they have, the way they do their marriages down there, coupled with the religious belief that such tests are not provided in Islam, I don't think the law is executable or at least strict adherence should not be expected.
Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by Nobody: 10:21am On Oct 13, 2016
No it won't prevent them from getting married, the bill is simply trying to prevent hiv from spreading further, at least the couples get to know their status and if one of them is positive, they can start treatment ASAP smiley
Bantino:
Sounds good but it will attract discrimination.

What if your partner is positive and you want to proceed with the marriage, will the law prohibit them from not getting married??

1 Like

Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by Nobody: 10:23am On Oct 13, 2016
1x2x3:

Nah!! Crossing the bridge doesn't actually mean crossing to a better place...... You could cross over to enemy Frontline.

I will advise women to go to school, obtain a good result and hopefully be productive. Don't remain in a marriage with someone who is promiscuous all because your survival depends on him. Sometimes I see what married women go through and when you look closely you notice she isn't self sufficient enough to handle the financial challenges ahead if she quits.

I support the bill but it shouldn't stop there. HIV positive people can still live healthy and normal life, some other diseases even kill faster so they should make arrangements for HIV positive match making. Make konji no kill people.

I was with you until @red......that is not fair! An udult can choose whom they want as a partner, HIV positive or worse (if there's any). In your case we might as well give them a country of their own, in order not mistake them as one of "us". HIV is only a virus, people need to learn to accept it as such. It can be manageable
Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by muhamadnur: 10:23am On Oct 13, 2016
DeltaOil:

Better than kidnapping & abusing minors!

And you know that u cant do without the south, angry
while the south is better off without you. grin
1st i wnt ague with u bcoz history has it all, 2nd the south and north are two different things the life style iz different ,views, religion u name it, so dnt expect the notherner,s that abide by the "sharia" to live like the southerner,s, yeah we marry minors but thats nt ur busines, , hw wil the north cnt do without the south , or ar u havin the funny idea of "oyel" i bet u must be one ipod brainwashed yoot
Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by PureHeart01: 10:27am On Oct 13, 2016
I don't support this bill. The bill itself is discriminatory, if you think about it very well. You want to tell people who are about to wed that because of an HIV test they can't get married? What about the WHO (world health organization) stand on Voluntary Counseling and Testing (VCT)? Every adult should be able to take informed decisions regarding his or her health, and the moment you ignore that option of people being able to decide for themselves, then your action becomes draconian no matter how good your underlying intention is...
Not to talk of the fact that there are many other deadly diseases out there like viral hepatitis, viral hemorrhagic fevers (Lassa fever, Ebola, etc), that kill much faster than HIV/AIDS...

1 Like

Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by 1x2x3: 10:30am On Oct 13, 2016
jagugu88li:
I was with you until @red......that is not fair! An udult can choose whom they want as a partner, HIV positive or worse (if there's any). In your case we might as well give them a country of their own, in order not mistake them as one of "us". HIV is only a virus, people need to learn to accept it as such. It can be manageable

I agree with you in as much as the HIV positive person makes his or her status known.

1 Like

Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by TeamSimple(m): 10:35am On Oct 13, 2016
DeltaOil:
The Law every nigerian should seek is law against marrying minors.

See the Emir of Katsina married an abducted minor.

https://www.nairaland.com/3404472/emir-katsina-abducts-marrys-christian

This is a greater problem now in Nigeria
Another law we waiting for is castration penalty for raping minors and patronising teenage prostitutes. Atleast marriage is better than forcefully penetration of lower age girls. So its the greates problem now in Nigeria.
Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by Nobody: 10:37am On Oct 13, 2016
Chibuhealth:
Lol....i taught the drug is out
don't taught because the drugs are not yet out
Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by amokeme(f): 10:37am On Oct 13, 2016
This is a welcome development! I hope kano too should do same... it is really going to reduce the spread through marriage. Because most infected men don't tell their partners they are infected with the virus, and they go ahead marrying 3 to 4 wives infecting them all.
Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by Nobody: 10:43am On Oct 13, 2016
amokeme:
This is a welcome development! I hope kano too should do same... it is really going to reduce the spread through marriage. Because most infected men don't tell their partners they are infected with the virus, and they go ahead marrying 3 to 4 wives infecting them all.

babe, are you from Kano
Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by Kenshinmunac(m): 10:45am On Oct 13, 2016
sinaj:
The first poster is right, Hunger kills faster than Aids sad

Btw is Hiv the only sexually transmitted disease that is deadly

NO, we still have Ebola grin
Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by Stanchez(m): 10:58am On Oct 13, 2016
they should do all medical test.
Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by amokeme(f): 11:05am On Oct 13, 2016
Oma307:

babe, are you from Kano
Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by saintdennis(m): 11:09am On Oct 13, 2016
Infact they should go further by making 'blood group abi genotype test compulsory too.

Bringing in a sickle cell anaemia infested child to this world is an act of cruelty
Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by Nobody: 12:30pm On Oct 13, 2016
amokeme:
yes
lovely, let's keep rolling
Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by DobraDobra: 12:51pm On Oct 13, 2016
What is d motive of the law makers? TO STOP HIV SPREEDING? They got it wrong then by d way do they give any finacial insentive if one marries in the state? If no then people will go and marry outside the date and come back. What if after d negative report people that are married in d state still have HIV will d marriage be desolved by d government since. Na them marry them?. Education enlightment information is d key to reducing hiv not dis descrimination. America used to refuse giving immigrant visa to hiv positive applicants but d law was removed coss it was descriminatory. D law makers can d better in this state make laws that remove poverty make laws dat enrich d people.
Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by Originalsly: 1:00pm On Oct 13, 2016
justmenoni:
EXACTLY, If you don't want to discriminate why then is a medical condition required before TWO ADULTS can go ahead and get married, it's their right to determine their health status and not a liability by the govt to decide who they get married to....

When they marry. .. likely to have HIV positive kids... parents die... the kids become whose liability? ...yours?..the governmemt?...or should they be left out on the streets like strays?
Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by justmenoni: 1:10pm On Oct 13, 2016
Now that you're jobless or unemployed, have you gotten any benefits or support from the government, oh you've kids already, have you got any child support or benefits from YOUR govt?

my point is, HIV or other STD's test should be discussed between the potential couples, government should only encourage these set of people to know their status before getting married, not setting it as a pre-requisite before getting married, HIV couples can have kids without same disease if proper care is been taken in place, HIV is as deadly as Sickle cell...SIR i do advocate for equity than equality,just so you know, Alot of people get these disease from other related sources aside Sexual intercourse, but as Nigerians our main thought about the major method of contracting these diseases is via SEX, and hope you know how NEWS FLIES MORE THAN AIR in naija, imagine your ex is actually the nurse in one of the hospitals where you were checked and either you or your spouse has the disease, what will happen?

Originalsly:
When they marry. .. likely to have HIV positive kids... parents die... the kids become whose liability? ...yours?..the governmemt?...or should they be left out on the streets like strays?
Re: Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law by SilvanusII(m): 1:13pm On Oct 13, 2016
This is the height of rubbish. The policy makers of that state are terribly misinformed. They have lumped accidental carriers into sex despots with this singular bill. Have they even heard of sero-discordant couples? Do they know that couples with HIV can birth negative children? Stop the Stigmatization

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Shell Relocates Gas Pipeline Across Kolo Creek Underneath River / Yakubu Dogara: Late Funke Adedoyin Will Be Sorely Missed By Colleagues / Don’t Give Party’s Ticket To A Man In His 70s – PDP Group, Action 2023 Warns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.