Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,380 members, 7,812,111 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:28 AM

How I Lost My Belief In God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How I Lost My Belief In God (2573 Views)

These People Are Killing My Faith & My Belief Am Backsliding. / Uyo Church Collapse: This Is How I Lost My Only Sister - Photos / I Think I'm Losing My Belief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Lost My Belief In God by doobyScoo: 3:08am On Oct 14, 2016
I was born into a christian home. A pastor's home. As expected, I was born into christianity. Normally also as I grew older and began to think for myself, I hear stuffs like "the righteousness of your parents can't save you", "you need to be genuinely saved", "you need to give your life to Christ" etc. I was like fine, and I gave my life to Christ. In fact for like 3 times I responded to altar call. Recently this year too, you know what next na, I was baptised in the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues.

But then, the problem started when I looked around and I began to wonder If I would be a christian at all if I was not born into a christian home. 2 of the best people I know(that are not my family) that I admire very much are strict muslims. I began to wonder what would have been if they had been born into a christian home. If because they were not, they will go to "hell". Because they followed the religion they were born into (strictly too). These two are close to me, and though I pretend not to notice they also think I will go to their "hell". But that's just 2. I began to look at the world in general and I realized that if what I had learned about hell is true, up to 70% of the world population is going to hell. I mean, lets not kid ourselves more than 50% christians that believe in the christian God will go to the christian hell (if its the real one), not to talk of christian sects that believe there is no hell. So many different doctrines, faith, religion, believes; It was all just overwhelming when I really thought about it.

Well, I began to lose my believe. Recently I've been spending time in the religion section of nairaland, and let's just say I've lost it completely. Now I don't hate religion, in fact what I've concluded about it ( I've done serious thinking ) people need something to believe in. If you've been paying attention at all to my write up, you'll notice I hadn't mention there is no God (even if I might think it); I've just lost my believe.
The one Question I ask myself is "Why Should I Believe in God?" Maybe someone can answer that for me. Why exactly? The only things I know about Him is from the Bible (why should I believe that) and from people (why should I believe that too).

I love my family and I would never disrupt the peace by making my believe known (I still go to church, participate in family devotion, read the bible, pray etc). If the nature of my words surprise anybody, I want to add that I am less than 20 years of age too.

I'm not an atheist and I don't want to be. I don't want to be anything, I just want to live my life!

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How I Lost My Belief In God by daben1(m): 4:54am On Oct 14, 2016
If you don't believe, let those that believe believe and stop corrupting other people's mind based on your own personal believe.

2 Likes

Re: How I Lost My Belief In God by Nobody: 6:02am On Oct 14, 2016
It's a free world, we live once, why live a lie, we are not coming this way again, why fight to believe when the default is unbelieve. Am happy you found what made you at ease.

4 Likes

Re: How I Lost My Belief In God by Nobody: 6:32am On Oct 14, 2016
you don't have to be an atheist to leave religion my advice to you is do more research on your former religion Christianity, read books such as thomas paine age of reason etc then the truth will fall down for you to pick

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Lost My Belief In God by Seun(m): 3:36pm On Oct 14, 2016
doobyScoo:
The one Question I ask myself is "Why Should I Believe in God?" Maybe someone can answer that for me. Why exactly? The only things I know about Him is from the Bible (why should I believe that) and from people (why should I believe that too).
Good thinking. Welcome to the club of people who don't believe things for which there is no good evidence; the habitat of most great minds.

28 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How I Lost My Belief In God by topsyking: 3:44pm On Oct 14, 2016
Seun:

Good thinking. Welcome to the club of people who don't believe things for which there is no good evidence; the habitat of most great minds.
Una eye go clear when the D day HAPPENS.. THEY FORMED intellectual.. pple that can tell me they dont believe in God and i will consider are scientist, doctor cos they don read too much not someone that start a forum and wake up next day to be forming athiest

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Lost My Belief In God by Scholar8200(m): 3:58pm On Oct 14, 2016
doobyScoo:
I was born into a christian home. A pastor's home. As expected, I was born into christianity. Normally also as I grew older and began to think for myself, I hear stuffs like "the righteousness of your parents can't save you", "you need to be genuinely saved", "you need to give your life to Christ" etc. I was like fine, and I gave my life to Christ. In fact for like 3 times I responded to altar call. Recently this year too, you know what next na, I was baptised in the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues.
Your repeatedly answering of altar calls suggests that there was something you never really got right. Besides, the evidence of the Spirit's baptism is not tongues but power for service. And on what basis did you stop the regular altar call visit and started seeking for the Baptism?

I remember a 'church' i attended as a young believer. we had been asked to come for Spirit's baptism. After the 1st session, they began to tell us to say it and since I had heard many tongues before then, I began saying the ones that came to mind at that point I heard one of the pulpiteers urge me on. I know better today.

Point is, Jesus gave us what to expect when the Spirit is come in John 14,15,16 and Acts 1:8. I fear you had a challenge with spurious experiences more so a religious background has a way of schooling you in the external forms and motions sans reality such that you mistake assumption for faith!

Pls I am neither judging you nor being harsh; its something that children born in the church needs to realise. People around you will rejoice at any faint or feigned interest in the things of God and even (unfortunately) lower expected standards for you simply because such kids are usually known for their rebellion against God.

Well, I began to lose my believe. Recently I've been spending time in the religion section of nairaland, and let's just say I've lost it completely. Now I don't hate religion, in fact what I've concluded about it ( I've done serious thinking ) people need something to believe in. If you've been paying attention at all to my write up, you'll notice I hadn't mention there is no God (even if I might think it); I've just lost my believe.
Why should you believe in God? First, what do you understand by that phrase 'believe in God'. I say this as it being different from, 'believe there is a God'.

I love my family and I would never disrupt the peace by making my believe known (I still go to church, participate in family devotion, read the bible, pray etc). If the nature of my words surprise anybody, I want to add that I am less than 20 years of age too.

I'm not an atheist and I don't want to be. I don't want to be anything, I just want to live my life!
Op's case is one of the major issue today when church goers and believers seek for experiences as an end rather than a means to an end. Seeking for an it rather than a Him! Finding the 'it' and the sensations we wanted (that will soon fade and leave us feeling empty) but missing the Substance - Him.

I appreciate your conclusion; my advise?

And thou,... know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the Lord searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever.
1 chronicles 28:9 Seek to know Him and if you will be patient enough to wait, He will reveal Himself to you (now there may be many "its'' but you will appreciate the Substance)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Lost My Belief In God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:12pm On Oct 14, 2016
Seun:

Most great minds ? Who please ?

Oh dear! This is ludicrous !

From the beginning of the world to the late 18th century , the greatest minds have always acknowledged the existence of the Supreme Being . Even after the late 18th century , there were so few great minds that were atheists . And the number of atheists are that time were picayune when compared to the theists .

Isaac Newton (1642 – 1727) : Atheism is so senseless and odious that it never had many professors .

I detest lies bro .

From this thread, we can educe that during the medieval age , there were only 3 atheists that made achievements though not prominent .
https://www.nairaland.com/3299993/what-prominent-achievements-made-atheists

It was only after the 18th century that atheists began making few contributions to the development of mankind .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Lost My Belief In God by theunnamed: 4:15pm On Oct 14, 2016
I think that if you respect your father like you do those other two people, you will realise that there is a reason that he is a Christian.
maybe ask him and know why he believes in the Christian God...
be subtle though

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Lost My Belief In God by Nobody: 4:16pm On Oct 14, 2016
I am an atheist, to be more specific I consider myself a humanist.

You don't have to identify with anything if you do not wish to, labels are just labels. I would use this opportunity to study the bible and its historicity critically without inner bias. Good luck!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Lost My Belief In God by Nobody: 4:24pm On Oct 14, 2016
theunnamed:
I think that if you respect your father like you do those other two people, you will realise that there is a reason that he is a Christian.
maybe ask him and know why he believes in the Christian God...
be subtle though

Nonsense. A different opinion from his father is not disrespect. He is his own person. Furthermore he has already said he wishes to keep the peace in his house.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Lost My Belief In God by theunnamed: 4:47pm On Oct 14, 2016
LightandDarkness:

Nonsense. A different opinion from his father is not disrespect. He is his own person. Furthermore he has already said he wishes to keep the peace in his house.

firstly,I advised to be "subtle"
secondly I didn't mention disrespect, only that if he respects his father as he does those other people,he should hear why the dad believes in the Christian God.
after all he is looking for a reason to believe in the Christian God...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Lost My Belief In God by ValentineMary(m): 4:47pm On Oct 14, 2016
daben1:
If you don't believe, let those that believe believe and stop corrupting other people's mind based on your own personal believe.
U sound angry. I also noticed that many christians become angry once they realise that someone does not believe what they believe. That is the height of folly.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How I Lost My Belief In God by raphieMontella: 4:57pm On Oct 14, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

That is 18th century (1700s) ...

You can review the atheists here and you can see that it was from the 1700s (18th century) , I'm sure that's where you got that name from wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_atheists_in_science_and_technology
did you even see what i sent you?
Or should i copy his ''bio'' out for everyone to see that you lied again?

Edmond Halley (1656–1742): English astronomer, geophysicist mathematician,
meteorologist and physicist. Best known for
computing the orbit of the eponymous Halley's Comet.

oya kingbubu...shame yourself..
Or do you need atheist philosophers and humanists at that time too?
But first...accept you are a liar.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Lost My Belief In God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:05pm On Oct 14, 2016
raphieMontella:

did you even see what i sent you?
Or should i copy his ''bio'' out for everyone to see that you lied again?

I was simply right Mister , there are only two atheists Pierre Louis Maupertuis and Edmond in the 1700s(18th century ) that made achievements but they were not great minds .

I'm sure you are now looking at this site to post names of random atheist philosophers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_atheist_philosophers
Re: How I Lost My Belief In God by Uniben4sure: 5:11pm On Oct 14, 2016
daben1:
If you don't believe, let those that believe believe and stop corrupting er people's mind based on your own personal believe.
The "corruption" is not always from the atheists/unbelievers, it is the believers who are always bugging us on daily basis with their cravings to "win souls".

Let everybody be on their lanes and stop trying to convert others. At my age and with my level of exposure, I don't think any preacher can change my believe system, so why not just let me be.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Lost My Belief In God by yorhmienerd(m): 5:23pm On Oct 14, 2016
I saw the topic and laugh, you are entitled to your opinion but I think the greatest height of ignorance is pretending to be what you are not. Being an atheist and still attend Church service. You are not yet sure of who you are. Like seriously...

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Lost My Belief In God by otemanuduno: 5:32pm On Oct 14, 2016
Doobysco, that you break lose from the greatest body of lie called Christianity is worth congratulating you for.

The commandment of Almighty God, the Father of yahweh is

USE YOUR BRAIN, WORSHIP NO god or gods, DO GOOD TO HUMANITY.

May the population of the worshippers of Satan(yahweh) continue to reduce day by day in Otem's name I pray, AMEN.

4evergod, Muafrika2, Jacksonville, Wilgrea8 have you all seen this?

2 Likes

Re: How I Lost My Belief In God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:33pm On Oct 14, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Hahahahahahahaaa.

Its an atheist that also wrote this story https://www.nairaland.com/3406586/how-lost-belief-god

Lies , deceit and falsehood everywhere !!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NASFAT Former Chief Missioner, Abdullahi Akinbode, Opens New Islamic Enterprise, / Christ Paid The Price. I Refunded Him. Now I Sin. / Is Jesus Christ A God Or A Prophet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.