Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,183 members, 7,822,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? (36041 Views)

Church Using POS To Collect Tithes And Offerings. Right Or Wrong? (Picture) / Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" / Givers Embassy: Abuja Church Where Tithes And Offerings Are Not Allowed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by Ephhay(f): 9:40pm On Oct 18, 2016
Edwinmason:
well from my own understanding...God said give me my ten percent he didnt say give to the poor.....paying ur tithe and helping the poor are 2 different things entirely
I agree

2 Likes

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by Ask4bigneyo(m): 9:41pm On Oct 18, 2016
y
Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by SUPOL(m): 9:42pm On Oct 18, 2016
CollinsWeGlobe:
Good Morning my fellow Nairalanders.

I believe my calling on earth is to assist anyone around me, in every little way I can. I do support beggars, support my friends, support my family members.

My question today is this "what if I use my Tithes and Offerings to help those in need"

Will God be angry with me? Will the cursed for not paying titles follow me?

Advise please, forgive me for the poor write up.
ur a stingy man. Did u study economics?

1 Like

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by Welcomme: 9:43pm On Oct 18, 2016
I am a christian too, and I dont believe in paying of tithe. To me, it is better I give my money out to pple in need than paying tithe that I dont know wat my money will used for.

8 Likes

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by orjikuramo(m): 9:44pm On Oct 18, 2016
Look at it this way, even our Messiah - Jesus Christ never mentioned tithe not to talk of giving. If it is as scared as all this men of God claim, I am not sure Jesus would have forgotten to do it n if He did forget, Paul would definitely not.
On this one, bros continue to give to the poor, God will judge you accordingly

God bless you
Edwinmason:
well from my own understanding...God said give me my ten percent he didnt say give to the poor.....paying ur tithe and helping the poor are 2 different things entirely

2 Likes

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by whizqueen(f): 9:47pm On Oct 18, 2016
Funnily I took up this decision a couple of months back and I must say it's one of the best decisions I've made this year.

Many more people around us needs our help more than enriching the pockets of some pastors sad

I'm fulfilled. In as much as a couple of friends and my mom was against it, I made them understand I was happy doing that.

@op you're highly encouraged to do same smiley

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by Welcomme: 9:47pm On Oct 18, 2016
MrPRevailer:

But it makes you an enemy of God. God is serious about it. It's mostly greedy people that give excuses like "my pastor is eating my tithe".
Ur brain needs to b checked.. So because I no dey pay tithe now, I b God enemy? Wetin God wan use my 10% do..

8 Likes

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by martineinstein(m): 9:48pm On Oct 18, 2016
Mattew 25 v35-45(........when u help the needy,u help me) says u are absolutely right

sometimes,i feel its sinful to give tithe to pastors that lavish our tithes on worldly things,while we deny d needy of they they deserve.

The european churches use their resource mainly to help d needy,especially d illegal immigrants,while african pastors lavish our offerings and tithes on cars,women,private universities,jets etc.

Sometimes,i keep wondering y pastors still collect tithes and offerings from d poor and the wretcheds,while their european counterpacts only collect from d rich

5 Likes

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by lobiologs(m): 9:48pm On Oct 18, 2016
If you have the power to help your fellow man, please do...

2 Likes

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by lobiologs(m): 9:49pm On Oct 18, 2016
Let's make the world a better place by giving...

1 Like

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by Realhommie(m): 9:49pm On Oct 18, 2016
Honestly i also do not believe in tithing as i'd rather give to the poor and the needy. Naturally i'm compassionate so there's always this driving force in me that compels me to help, even when i don't have.

99% of churches around are business centers and their primary objective is making profits. They do not even care for the poor, the needy and less privileged in their congregations rather they collect the little these people have. You see the MOG's living in opulence, driving big cars, owning mansions and establishing big businesses.

These MOG's have become masters of prosperity messages coz that's the only way they can get people to sow seeds and make donations, messages of salvation is bad business.

Na God go help us

2 Likes

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by sunnyside16(m): 9:51pm On Oct 18, 2016
So if I happen to see a person suffering and decided to help with what is supposed to be my tithe, then have I not done well? If only the lavish lifestyles of our pastors is anything to go by I could say tithe paying is going to the wrong hands and purpose.

Imagine schools, hospitals, universities etc built with members hard earned offerings and tithes and yet such members can't afford such facilities.........is it not equally pathetic?

7 Likes

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by kazyhm(m): 9:52pm On Oct 18, 2016
I can only laff at some comments

help needs help too

offering helping tithe

isn't that double tithing ?

Lord help us ooooo

2 Likes

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by Phi001(m): 9:52pm On Oct 18, 2016
Beehshorp:
Please dis post is open to corrections, u can quote me sha cos what am about to say I am not going to be completely correct cos am not dat sure..

To the topic, op dia is a place in the Bible where someone asked Jesus about giving a begger and paying tithes and Jesus was like the begger is always here so u av to pay ur tithes...

Please correct me if am wrong but something tells me av come across dis storry in d bible
You are very correct.
It's the story of when Mary Magdalene, the former prostitute that used to be possessed with 7 demons, came and anointed Jesus' feet with a very expensive perfume and Judas was saying that the perfume could have been sold for 300 denarii and the money given to the poor. Jesus was now like that they should not bother the woman, and that the poor would always be among them but the woman has chosen to do a beautiful thing to him...

2 Likes

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by Acebar(m): 9:52pm On Oct 18, 2016
In malachai 3:10, G-d told you were To bring it. Tithe is not Charity. if you want To help The poor, you are free but Tithe is Tithe.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by ollah2: 9:54pm On Oct 18, 2016
Smart ass. You are now a free man.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Oct 18, 2016
annunaki2:

It's actually greedy pastors that preach tithhing. There is absolutely no scripture in the bible that directs Christians to tithe of their income. Tithes as it is preached today is derived from twisting old testament scriptures to suit the greed of those preaching it.

I concur with you, the early apostles from the books of acts to revelations never asked the brethren nor the church for 10%, why modern pastors in fancy suits demanding for it? Prove me if I am wrong. How can you emphasize on tithes than salvation? The billonaires in this world helping humanity are not paying tithes, why you? Who tithe epp?

4 Likes

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by Pidggin(f): 9:56pm On Oct 18, 2016
seaboi06:
Nonsense,is God spending money?
At op it's better giving to the poor than giving to your pastor who rides big car
fela don talk

Are you a Christian? If 'No' then what is your business with what God wants or doesn't want us to do?

1 Like

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by Pidggin(f): 9:59pm On Oct 18, 2016
whizqueen:
Funnily I took up this decision a couple of months back and I must say it's one of the best decisions I've made this year.

Many more people around us needs our help more than enriching the pockets of some pastors sad

I'm fulfilled. In as much as a couple of friends and my mom was against it, I made them understand I was happy doing that.

@op you're highly encouraged to do same smiley

If you are a believer, read your Bible for direction. God said tithe is to supply his store house, He also encouraged giving to the poor too. These two are not the same.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by abbey621(m): 9:59pm On Oct 18, 2016
If more people started giving to the poor instead of paying tithes, Nigeria will become better. There will be less poverty and Nigerian churches would go back to the basics instead of operating like a business!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by 4nobody4every1: 10:00pm On Oct 18, 2016
Seun:
What you're doing is perfectly biblical. However, business-savvy pastors will never support such a practice for obvious reasons. Keep doing it!
when are you bringing your tithe of nairaland to my church? grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by kidco: 10:00pm On Oct 18, 2016
undecided
Sacluxpaint:

Lol.. Tite help to build the church
and without the chuch
no morality
try find tiethe in Islam
and u see same

I concur with you, the early apostles from the books of acts to revelations never asked the brethren nor the church for 10%, why modern pastors in fancy suits demanding for it? Prove me if I am wrong. How can you emphasize on tithes than salvation? The billonaires in this world helping humanity are not paying tithes, why you? Who tithe epp?
Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by efficiencie(m): 10:00pm On Oct 18, 2016
CollinsWeGlobe:
Good Morning my fellow Nairalanders.

I believe my calling on earth is to assist anyone around me, in every little way I can. I do support beggars, support my friends, support my family members.

My question today is this "what if I use my Tithes and Offerings to help those in need"

Will God be angry with me? Will the cursed for not paying titles follow me?

Advise please, forgive me for the poor write up.

You pay tithes as led by the HolyGhost, you pay offering as led by the HolyGhost and you give to the needy as led by the HolyGhost...what is the difference? They are all the same...What matters is that you are led by the HolyGhost. satan gives, angels give, ritualists give, kleptomanic politicians give, corrupt lectures give, fake pastors give, false prophets give, righteous men give...both good and evil people and entities give but what makes the difference is what inspires the giving!

If you give to your gift to an indian hemp smoker unknowingly you have just bought him another wrap of marijuana and by so doing adding to his destruction but if you give that gift to a living church your tiny contribution may go a long way in sustaining people who have made it a lifelong dedication to pray for not just one but many people who smoke indian hemp...Also if you give your gift to a Laodicean church (there are many around) you have just succeeded in adding to the wealth of materialist and Hell-bound impostors that label themselves pastors but if you give your gift to your hungry neighbor as inspired by the Holy Ghost scriptures say you have just fed Christ himself...

So you see, whether you give freely, or offer your gifts to the church what matters is that what you are giving is finally used towards bringing hope to the hopeless, strength to the weak, peace to the troubled and good news to the depressed...and the only way you can ensure that you give in this manner is if your giving is inspired by the Holy Ghost, the Spirit of Love!

So are you filled with the Holy Ghost?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by naxman(m): 10:00pm On Oct 18, 2016
Edwinmason:
thank God you said "from your own understanding" not from the holy book....

5 Likes

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by drfk001(m): 10:01pm On Oct 18, 2016
Wilgrea7:

the new testament scripture u posted talks about people working in the church eating from things of the church... i have no problem with the offerings.. my problem is the tithe they are preaching as lies... tithe was for d Israelites and it was only in Canaan... so show me proof that i am an Israelite and we are in Canaan and the pastors are levites and money was tithed... then I'll believe
I get your point but I just want to ask if you believe any other thing in the OT since you are not an Israelite nor are you in canaan

1 Like

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by claremont(m): 10:02pm On Oct 18, 2016
Edwinmason:

So God needs 10% of your meagre earnings to feed himself?! You have been brainwashed mate.

5 Likes

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by Greenbullet(m): 10:03pm On Oct 18, 2016
Two kinds of giving are taught consistently throughout Scripture: giving to the government (always compulsory), and giving to God (always voluntary). The issue has been greatly confused, however, by some who misunderstand the nature of the Old Testament tithes. Tithes were not primarily gifts to God, but taxes for funding the national budget in Israel. Because Israel was a theocracy, the Levitical priests acted as the civil government. So the Levite's tithe (Leviticus 27:30-33 ) was a precursor to today's income tax, as was a second annual tithe required by God to fund a national festival (Deuteronomy 14:22-29 ). Smaller taxes were also imposed on the people by the law ( Leviticus 19:9-10 ; Exodus 23:10-11 ). So the total giving required of the Israelites was not 10 percent, but well over 20 percent. All that money was used to operate the nation. All giving apart from that required to run the government was purely voluntary (cf. Exodus 25:2 ; 1 Chronicles 29:9 ). Each person gave whatever was in his heart to give; no percentage or amount was specified. New Testament believers are never commanded to tithe. Matthew 22:15-22 and Romans 13:1-7 tell us about the only required giving in the church age, which is the paying of taxes to the government. Interestingly enough, we in America presently pay between 20 and 30 percent of our income to the government--a figure very similar to the requirement under the theocracy of Israel. The guideline for our giving to God and His work is found in 2 Corinthians 9:6-7 : "Now this I say, he who sows sparingly shall also reap sparingly; and he who sows bountifully shall also reap bountifully. Let each one do just as he has purposed in his heart; not grudgingly or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver."

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by Slimshady11: 10:03pm On Oct 18, 2016
If u ask me,tithe is just a term Pentecostal Churches translated tax into,to make it an obligation for church members to pay dem
#nooffence

7 Likes

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by mgbedianya(m): 10:04pm On Oct 18, 2016
Nye di ka ihe si agara gi nkeoma- 1 Cor 16:2
Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by InvertedHammer: 10:04pm On Oct 18, 2016
For it is said,

"I command all you suckers, give ten percent of your earnings to Adeboye, Oyakhilome and other snake oil sales god of men. For they shalt enjoy the fruits of your labour on earth while your rewards will be in heaven. No amount is too small to fuel those private jets and mansions of your dream"

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? by drfk001(m): 10:05pm On Oct 18, 2016
Am a Christian, and am proud to pay my tithe to my church. whatever the church uses it to do is not my business, I paid my tithe to God and I look up to God for the blessings that follow and he has never failed. I rep St. Peter's Anglican Church, Ojo-Alaba

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Bisi Alimi: "Pastor Adeboye Is Irresponsible And Vile" / Apostle Ken Mbachi Kneels Down For Johnson Suleman In Enugu (pics) / Sharon Oyakhilome And Phillip Frimpong Celebrate 1st Wedding Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.