Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,080 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:43 AM

100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail (40421 Views)

Children Draw To Recount Their Boko Haram Experiences (Photos) / Breaking:Chibok Girls Release: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Boko Haram / A Mother Of 3 Escapes From Boko Haram Captors After Being Abducted & Drugged.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by calabardick(m): 4:44am On Oct 19, 2016
'We don't want to go back': 100 Chibok schoolgirls refuse to leave their Boko Haram captors after two years in captivity

*Boko Haram jihadists abducted 276 schoolgirls from Chibok in April 2014
*50 escaped quickly but the others have been held in terrible conditions
*President Buhari of Nigeria negotiated the release of 21 girls last week
*His spokesman said they were hoping another 83 would be freed soon
*But a community leader said 100 of the girls do not want to come back
*They were forced to have babies for their captors and apparently fear the stigma of 'Boko Haram wives' if they return

A community leader involved in the negotiations to obtain the release of the schoolgirls abducted from Chibok in northern Nigeria has said more than 100 of them are unwilling to return home.

More than 200 girls were taken from a school in Chibok in April 2014 by members of the extremist Islamist Boko Haram group, who have held them in captivity ever since, forcibly converting many from Christianity.

After 21 of the girls were released last week - possibly following the payment of a ransom - Nigeria's government is negotiating the release of another 83.

But Pogu Bitrus, chairman of the Chibok Development Association, said more than 100 others appeared unwilling to leave their captors.

He said they were ashamed to return home because they were forced to marry extremists and have their babies.

This video was released by Boko Haram in August. Some of the girls may be be suffering from 'Stockholm syndrome', where they identify with and feel affection for their captors

Mr Bitrus said the freed girls have told their parents they were separated into two groups early on in their captivity, when Boko Haram commanders gave them the choice of joining the extremists and embracing Islam, or becoming their slaves.

The latter group - made up of 104 girls - never saw their classmates again.

Mr Bitrus said they were used as domestic workers and porters but were not sexually abused. That group contain the 21 who were released last week and the 83 who the government are negotiating over.

He said the 21 girls freed last week might have to be educated abroad because of the stigma they will face in Nigeria.

The girls were reunited with their parents at the weekend and are expected to meet Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari tomorrow.

Mr Buhari has said his government is prepared to talk with Boko Haram about the release of the remaining girls.

A total of 276 schoolgirls were taken from a school in Chibok by armed men.

Dozens escaped early on and Mr Bitrus said the girls who were released last week have said six more died during their 30 months in captivity.

Mr Bitrus said many of those who escaped two years ago were taunted as 'Boko Haram wives' by people in Chibok and had moved away. At least 20 were being educated in the United States.

Mr Bitrus: 'We would prefer that they are taken away from the community and this country because the stigmatisation is going to affect them for the rest of their lives.

'Even someone believed to have been abused by Boko Haram would be seen in a bad light.'

One Chibok girl, Amina Ali Nkeki, escaped in May this year.

Yakubu Nkeki, chairman of the Chibok Parents' Association, said she has been reunited with the 21 freed girls, who were still being treated by doctors, psychologists and trauma counsellors at a hospital in the Nigerian capital, Abuja.

Emos Lawal, whose daughter was freed last week, said his daughter was 'praying that let the rest of them have the chance to come out.'

One girl in the freed group, who was pregnant when she was abducted, is now a mother of a young child.

Chibok is a small and conservative Christian enclave in mainly Muslim northern Nigeria, where many parents are involved in translating the Bible into local languages and belong to the Nigerian branch of the Elgin, an evangelical church based in the United States.

Nigeria's government has denied reports the girls were swapped for four Boko Haram commanders, or that a large ransom was paid.

Their abduction in 2014 made headline news globally and US First Lady Michelle Obama joined the #BringBackOurGirls online movement.

Buhari, who hails from the overwhelmingly Muslim and Hausa north of Nigeria, was elected president in May last year.

Despite winning back swathes of territory from the jihadists, President Buhari has faced intense criticism for failing to recover the young captives, who became the defining symbol of Boko Haram's brutal campaign to establish a fundamentalist Islamic state in the country.

The insurgency has claimed more than 20,000 lives and displaced 2.6 million people since Boko Haram took up arms against the Nigerian government in 2009

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3848400/We-don-t-want-100-Chibok-schoolgirls-refuse-leave-Boko-Haram-captors-two-years-captivity.html

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by Askmewhy(m): 4:47am On Oct 19, 2016
Too bad.
Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by whitebeard(m): 4:49am On Oct 19, 2016
what a shame..!! Soldiers pls return home..!!

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by IykeChukz(m): 4:52am On Oct 19, 2016
This can't be true...

Stigma what? Please Bring back our girls...

20 Likes

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by EzePromoe: 5:02am On Oct 19, 2016
Boko Cassava at work.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by Koval12(m): 5:10am On Oct 19, 2016
This woman just wrapped my Akara with someone's CV!! His name is okafor chinedu George! Please holla if you Know him, tell him that job at shell won't work....... *chews Akara and crosses gutter*

138 Likes 13 Shares

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by Nobody: 5:19am On Oct 19, 2016
What sort of propaganda is this... 100 girls are dead simple.. its not like i wish them harm or pray so.. but of what point is it to remain and spend the rest of your life on the run and in the bush.

I dont mean to be vain and evil with my statement, but the administration make you read between the lines with their statements

41 Likes

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by nrexzy: 5:21am On Oct 19, 2016
Are you sure they are chibok girls or they all just captives from various places now members of the Sec and want to spread the public

4 Likes

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by saintkel(m): 5:24am On Oct 19, 2016
North? Fear them

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by Nobody: 5:28am On Oct 19, 2016
So they nw belong 2 d kitchen, living rooms n d other rooms of boko haram militants? SMH 4 d sex starved terrorists undecided

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by Nobody: 5:28am On Oct 19, 2016
I understand their plight in a country were STIGMATIZATION is the order of the day

Pls return home, it was never ur fault but as a result of bad government

Instead of bringing rescue their way, THE PAST ADMINISTRATION CALLED IT A SCAM BUT WAS BUSY SHARING AND ALLOCATING MONEY FOR THE ACCLAIMED SCAM

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by bayelsaowei(m): 5:31am On Oct 19, 2016
The scam don start again

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by Cutehector(m): 5:46am On Oct 19, 2016
Nigeria needs redemption, not change!!

9 Likes

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by bonechamberlain(m): 5:51am On Oct 19, 2016
Esseite:
What sort of propaganda is this... 100 girls are dead simple.. its not like i wish them harm or pray so.. but of what point is it to remain and spend the rest of your life on the run and in the bush.

I dont mean to be vain and evil with my statement, but the administration make you read between the lines with their statements
exactly my thoughts, this is pure nonsense.

15 Likes

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by Boleyndynasty2(f): 5:53am On Oct 19, 2016
grin Lemme just believe this story right here is a joke, what do they know is to be stigmatized? Did they even think about their parents and what they've been going through all these while? Now FG have given them a light at the end of the tunnel and the decide to remain with Darkness? Hmmmmm undecided .I want to believe this is a joke actually

8 Likes

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by proeast(m): 6:07am On Oct 19, 2016
I dont know what to believe again, liers & propagandists are now everywhere.

16 Likes

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by May19th: 6:16am On Oct 19, 2016
thought they said only 83 remaining..... never knew ab.oki preek can hold little girls captive

7 Likes

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by freeze001(f): 6:21am On Oct 19, 2016
Just trying to bring the drama to a close. Now no one will ask for d remaining girls as they've conveniently explained their whereabouts. I didn't realise that rescuing abducted persons particularly minors, somehow required their consent...only in Nigeria.

So here goes:
279 - (1+21+83 (prospective returnees)+104 (voluntary remainder)+ Miscellaneous (Dead/sold off)= 0

Case closed, promise kept, BBOG disbanded, Ezekwesilly finds new pet project...etc

20 Likes

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by Nobody: 6:25am On Oct 19, 2016
They wan take style dey ask amnesty for Boko Haram. Those who read between the lines know wosup already

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by sekundosekundo: 6:31am On Oct 19, 2016
lustychima:
I understand their plight in a country were STIGMATIZATION is the order of the day

Pls return home, it was never ur fault but as a result of bad government

Instead of bringing rescue their way, THE PAST ADMINISTRATION CALLED IT A SCAM BUT WAS BUSY SHARING AND ALLOCATING MONEY FOR THE ACCLAIMED SCAM

2 Likes

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by progress69: 6:32am On Oct 19, 2016
Esseite:

Ipod yoot. You killed them?

Chibok is a scam to your lots, so keep quite and mind your wailing business

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by sekundosekundo: 6:36am On Oct 19, 2016
WHO SAY GEJ NO TRY?.

30 Likes

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by Ibifizzleboy(m): 7:02am On Oct 19, 2016
Love has taken up their life.

1 Like

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by raphieMontella: 7:02am On Oct 19, 2016
wtf?

1 Like

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by Otono123(m): 7:22am On Oct 19, 2016
How comes I don't believe this story...

5 Likes

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by ChappyChase: 7:41am On Oct 19, 2016
EzePromoe:
Boko Cassava at work.
Shekau be sing pana by tecno: Yarinya fana them sey you like cassaba whalai i get ham por big cassaba. grin

And one of the girls will be like vvvvvvv

8 Likes

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by Nobody: 7:53am On Oct 19, 2016
progress69:

Ipod yoot. You killed them?

Chibok is a scam to your lots, so keep quite and mind your wailing business

Shut up and make a little sense for once..haba!!!!!

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by progress69: 7:54am On Oct 19, 2016
succed:

Shut up and make a little sense for once..haba!!!!!

Advising yourself?

3 Likes

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by EzePromoe: 8:04am On Oct 19, 2016
ChappyChase:

Shekau be sing pana by tecno: Yarinya fana them sey you like cassaba whalai i get ham por big cassaba. grin

And one of the girls will be like vvvvvvv
Buhahahaha grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: 100 Chibok Girls Unwilling To Leave Their Boko Haram Captors - Daily Mail by progress69: 10:22am On Oct 19, 2016
Esseite:

Sometimes i imagine how old you are when you react to people's comments and opinions..

You really sound stupid sometimes, although sometimes you make good points, you think everybody is on your league of ipod yoot and afonjas and all that banters you throw yourselves.

Pained ipod yoot!!!! G n D

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Thugs Beat Iniobong Akan, APC Chairman In Akwa Ibom, Break His Head (Graphic Pic / APC Reacts To Atiku's Signature Of Peace Accord / Don’t Be Far From Me If You Cross Over, Fubara Urges Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.