Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,233 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:16 AM

I'm An Introvert Who Married An Extrovert, Here's How It Works. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / I'm An Introvert Who Married An Extrovert, Here's How It Works. (1143 Views)

Sad Story Of A Married Nigerian Man Who Married An American Lady / Nigerian Lady Who Married An Uber Driver Tells Her Story (Photos) / She Doesn't Want To Date Me Because I'm An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm An Introvert Who Married An Extrovert, Here's How It Works. by LaPresidente(m): 12:24pm On Oct 20, 2016
When you're an introvert, havingfriends takes on a different meaning. My parents noticed early on that I had very few friends, but thefriendshipsIdidhave were solid. Now I'm a 35-year-oldmarrieddad with two girls and nothing has changed.For the last 20 years, outside of mywife, I've really only hadonegood friend. My friend and I met in 9th grade during football practice, and the rest is history. He was my roommate in college, the best man at mywedding, and even though we now live 3,700 miles apart, he still reaches out the moment he learns that something isn't going well with my life.My wife is the only other person who has been able to insert herself into my life as a friend and I now consider her to be my best friend.I don't say "I love you" to just anyone, and I sure don't make just anyone my best friend. Over the last 15 years, I've come across maybe five people I wouldconsider spending time with outside of work. So obviously, my wife has a lot of time to be my only friend and my introverted self doesn't want/need to find any other pals to help fill that void.My wife couldn't be more different. She makesfriendswith ease and has lots of 'em; her friendships are very important toher. They serve as a support system in her life and the more support she has, the better she feels about herself.She has friends she has met online, friends she met throughfamily, and even friends she's met on vacation. What we don't have are many couple friends and that's my fault. My inability to make friends with the spouses of her friends has caused tension and was one of the reasons she decided at one point that shewanted a break from our marriage.Up until recently, my wife didn't bother to understand how an introverted brain works.She has since read books about introverts and has asked me more about my experience, but she'll never fully graspwhyI'm an introvert. She won't ever fully understand my reluctance to let anyone into my world. She won'tever figure out why I wouldn't want a ton offriendsin my life the same way she has in her life.Likewise, I don't understand whymy wife allows just anyone into her life and opens herself up to betrayal and disappointment by having so many casualfriends. I certainly don't understand the way she classifies her friends in some sort of tier arrangement.But what I don't understand the most is why she doesn't classifymeas as her best friend.When my wife tried to explain to me that she didn't consider me to be her best friend, she drew a chart to explain how she classifies the people in her life in a tier arrangement like this:

In her words: "I will always be able to do anything I do with my friends with you, whether you enjoy it or not is a different story.However, there are things that I do with you that I would never do with any of my friends (or anyone else) no matter how close we were."Although I don't think we'll ever fully understand each other,over the course of 13 years of marriage, we've learned that fixing each other doesn't work aswell as trying to meet in the middle and work with each otherthrough whatever issues seem tocome between us.As a result, I've tried to make more of an effort to appear friendlier when we meet with othercouples, andshe tries to help facilitate those friendships in a more introvertedmanner.We've also come to realize that the more we understand our differences, the more we realize how much it benefits our marriage. For instance, because Idon't have many friends, I don't go out very often, which means I’m home ... a lot. And because I'm home a lot, I can take care of our kids while my wife spends quality time with her friends.This arrangement allows us both to spend time in our comfort zones; it makes us happy. And there's one thing that is as sure in marriage, as death and taxes are in real life:a happy wife truly makes for a happy life.

http://www.yourtango.com/2014234914/shes-my-best-friend-so-i-love-you-means-a-lot-in-our-marriage

1 Like

Re: I'm An Introvert Who Married An Extrovert, Here's How It Works. by firstking01(m): 1:20pm On Oct 20, 2016
Would 've love to read but it's too long a piece.

1 Like

Re: I'm An Introvert Who Married An Extrovert, Here's How It Works. by SafeDavid(m): 1:51pm On Oct 20, 2016
This is deep...
Too deep to read the conclusion. smiley
Re: I'm An Introvert Who Married An Extrovert, Here's How It Works. by Nobody: 4:06pm On Oct 20, 2016
Am i really an introvert? Sometimes i behave mainly as an introvert sometime like an extrovert, i stay quietly anywhere am not feeling confidently well sometimes i make friends through my brother, buh in school i have dozen of friends which i make through my own buh in church only 2, i hardly talk in church, they started treating me like an outcast since i couldn't make friends with some of them, i think am an ambivert, i have both attributes, people misunderstand me alot, i blasted them on fb because i knew i gave someone from their my phone, he gave everybody my username in march since then i have become their enemy and i haven't been to church since march this yr
Re: I'm An Introvert Who Married An Extrovert, Here's How It Works. by Julietcutie(f): 5:53pm On Oct 20, 2016
nice
Re: I'm An Introvert Who Married An Extrovert, Here's How It Works. by JesslordKay(m): 6:20pm On Oct 20, 2016
Zceesneh:
Am i really an introvert? Sometimes i behave mainly as an introvert sometime like an extrovert, i stay quietly anywhere am not feeling confidently well sometimes i make friends through my brother, buh in school i have dozen of friends which i make through my own buh in church only 2, i hardly talk in church, they started treating me like an outcast since i couldn't make friends with some of them, i think am an ambivert, i have both attributes, people misunderstand me alot, i blasted them on fb because i knew i gave someone from their my phone, he gave everybody my username in march since then i have become their enemy and i haven't been to church since march this yr
whatever the case may be, isn't enough to miss church. Live your life. Also understand that people must talk.
Re: I'm An Introvert Who Married An Extrovert, Here's How It Works. by ezechueze(m): 7:21pm On Oct 20, 2016
OK
Re: I'm An Introvert Who Married An Extrovert, Here's How It Works. by Rukkydelta(f): 7:49pm On Oct 20, 2016
I can relate
They just can't understand us
Re: I'm An Introvert Who Married An Extrovert, Here's How It Works. by chigoizie7(m): 7:58pm On Oct 20, 2016
No matter how hard ur try to explain to extroverts, they just don't get it.

I no get any friend at all, I am my own friend.

Op u are just on point.

(1) (Reply)

7 Basic Needs A Woman Want From A Man / See This Maternity Shoot That Has Got Everyone Talking / A Diary Of My New Galfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.