Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,452 members, 7,819,665 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:12 PM

3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) (99707 Views)

Ooni Reacts To Fire At Palace Of Oba Of Lagos / Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Oba Ewuare II (photos) / Strange Scenes From Coronation Of Oba In Benin Kingdom. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by Aizenosa(m): 10:46pm On Oct 20, 2016
datola:
Benin and Youruba Obas and polygamy are one.

Oh, not to forget, the Emirs are not left out just that those ones have a soft spot for kids.

Current Ooni of Ife is still maintaining with olori Wuralola.

Yes polygamy, but the truth is that the oba even if he marries one wife, will most likely have more than one wife, why because bini men will want to gift their daughters to him.

2 Likes

Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by Aizenosa(m): 10:57pm On Oct 20, 2016
[quote author=queencalipso post=50368339]Did he marry the wives today or were they married before the coronation?

Am confused here, someone help me out.[/quite]

They have been married before, funny enough there is already a prince already waiting to take his father's place as the crowned prince, Prince Eze.

The oba is not young ooo he is in his fifties.
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by Nobody: 11:01pm On Oct 20, 2016
Paradise163:

Nairalanders and funny replies
Yup n m serious bt dt, check dir pictures well n decide urself, m serious
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by Doctorfitz: 11:21pm On Oct 20, 2016
bejeiodus:
He is living a kingly life.

Our patriarchs were never monogamists. I wonder why today's men find polygamy repulsive.

I wonder,even bible which man marry 1 wife.strong men of God 4 bible sef no marry 1..lols

1 Like

Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by Nobody: 11:35pm On Oct 20, 2016
Aigbofa:

How did you arrive at the conclusion that the current dynasty have benin origins when you agree that Oba Eweka was the child of Oranmiyan, a Yoruba prince from Ile Ife? Does that make sense?
Oranmiyan was the son of izoduwa whole is a bini prince buh went on exile to ife....he was sent for by bini kingdom wen dey had no heir to succeed the last ogiso.....
Mind you do nt diseminate false stories, no Oba of bini was or is ever buried in ife, whoever told u that lie needs to be hanged....the burial of the oba is done in bini and is nt a public affair
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by ajakpe: 11:35pm On Oct 20, 2016
My guy choice one of them NW NW
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by london4luv: 12:10am On Oct 21, 2016
nwasinachi:
those women dey try o. I cant even imagine sharing my man with another woman, and nothing will ever make me sleep with a married man biko, theirs are theirs, while mine is mine
sharap my frnd go inside u still be pikin, dis mata pass u

1 Like

Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by winj3: 12:11am On Oct 21, 2016
vodutive:

In your slave mentality you define civilisation as anything western and that is why the black continent is the only continent that is backward. You all rush to Dubai but they don't abandon their culture, in fact they fiercly guard their way of life. They enbrace what is good about other cultures but preserve their own Are they not a modern country? The reason why Africa will never make progress is that Africans no longer know who they are. What has all your copyting of the west done for you? Holding on to your identity and culture does not make you uncivilised, not being able to speak English does not make you an illiterate (most Chinese don't speak English but see the wonders they are doing). Getting a western education but losing your ability to think makes you a brainwashed fool.

Be proud of who you are and embrace it because that's all you'll ever be...with all your education, religion and so called civilization you will only ever be Black, African, Nigerian and whatever tribe you belong to!!! It's up to you whether you want to be proud of your heritage or an Uncle Tom.

where did I define civilisation as anything western?
You are a monkey, p1ss off!
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by Eddy2cute(m): 12:58am On Oct 21, 2016
TrapQueen77:
Why they need to cover their mouth? lipsrsealed
its a very important aspect of the Benin tradition. royalties tooth are not suppose to be seen.
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by Muha4ril(m): 4:14am On Oct 21, 2016
BornStunner1:

FACTS ABOUT THE YORUBAS AKA AFONJAS
( 1 ) . Their story of
kingship began with Edo
prince and the Benin
recorded History .
( 2 ) . Ayayi crawder said,
little were know about
yoruba existence,
meaning they were not
part of Nigeria of today
boarder or were in small
settlement close to
dahomy. yoruba are half
muslims and those with
African traditions copied or got them from Benin
civilization . I doubt if they not immigrants from dahomy
mix with Benins or other fulani- hausa from Niger
. Bishop Samuel Adjayi Crowther (c . 1809 – 31
December 1891 ) Was the first African Anglican bishop
in Nigeria . Born in Osogun (in today's Iseyin Local
Government, Oyo State , Nigeria ) . His grandson was
Herbert Macaulay
( 3 ) . Yoruba have dublicity of kingship with the process
highly politized to being traditional . A system they try
copy from Benin but can 't get it real like the Benin
Kingdom. Edo Obaship is one of the most revered
institutions in the world because of the way it has
sustained its awesome prestige with strict and
meticulous attention to ancient traditions of valour ,
discipline and integrity . Edo chieftaincy titles cannot be
bought or conferred on non- indigenes or frivolously .
Every Edo chief performs a peculiarly sacred duty
and responsibility to the people of Edo. It does not make
sense , therefore , to think that a people who would not
and have never conferred their chieftaincy titles on non-
indigenes, would voluntarily invite , accept, or surrender
to non- indigenes as their kings . Due to celestial
origins , the Edo monarch cannot eat out and cannot be
diverted from full time palace duties to hustle
for contracts .
( 4 ) . Most of today
yoruba religion are
Benin Origin , Olokun ,
Ogun , Iha oguega (ifa ) ,
oronmila, Esago
(shango ) , Ayelala etc .
Many Benin traditions
and spirituality are
stillfully documented by
yorubas in high places
as YORUBA ? (Never mind the Edo man ' s christian
mindset quickly dening Edo have niothing to do with
African traditional religion , agreeing they are foriegn to
Edoland . . . LIE ) .
Although the Great Edo ( Benin ) Kingdom were not major
participants in the trans- Atlantic slave trade , because
the Obas (Kings ) believed that their subjects were too
valuable to sell away , and their noblemen had need of
war captives on their own farms , the influence of Edo
religion and medicine has still been substantial upon
the people of the Americas .
According to Mason (1996 ) , it has been widely
accepted that Olokun ( god of the sea ) worship
originated with the Edo and spread to the Yoruba ( p. 2) .
In fact, the most prominent part of Edo cultural
traditions that has made its mark in the New World is
Olokun worship. Olokun (god of the Waters ) worship
originated from Urhonigbe and then became prominent
at Ughoton around the Ethiope ( Olokun) River . The
priesthood and rituals were firmly established at the
time . Some of the possible points of contact happened
early. During the Ogiso Period , trade with the Yoruba
and Igbos was quite extensive. Olokun worship may
have spread to those areas through traders . Prior to the
Oba Period , Ekaladerhan Izoduwa was initiated into
Olokun as a chief Priest while he stayed at Ughoton ,
before his moving westward with his followers to
establish Ilefe ( Ero , 1999 , p . 108- 109) .
Once he arrived , Ekaladerhan Izoduwa brought Edo
traditions to those areas and was a King of his new
community called Ilefe , which could be what yoruba call
IFE. . From Ekaladerhan Izoduwa ’ s loins , the Yoruba
dynasties may have began. However, it is certain that
Olokun is an Edo divinity whose worship spread to the
outlying Yoruba areas.
Does this really make sense

1 Like

Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by emi14: 6:34am On Oct 21, 2016
ihimiray:
craze dey ur head, which bloody yoruba man... U people can think so stupidly

Ask that confused head without surname the origination of Yoruba nation.
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by ExInferis(m): 6:39am On Oct 21, 2016
TrapQueen77:
Why they need to cover their mouth? lipsrsealed

Linda Ikeji was passing by.
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by firo08(m): 6:40am On Oct 21, 2016
patriotic9jaboy:
Where will he see money to care for three wives and how can he satisfy them sexually
stop saying trash zombie
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by ikyTech(m): 7:45am On Oct 21, 2016
winj3:
This fool should be setting example for next generation by marrying ONE wife (1 man, 1 wife), instead he is living like his 6th century ancestors sleeping with the entire village and producing uncountable number of children!

these useless backward customs need to be abolished!

How old are you?
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by Excuzeme: 7:55am On Oct 21, 2016
topstory:
His Royal Highness, Eheneden Erediauwa, has been crowned the 39th Oba of Benin Kingdom succeeding his late father, Omo n' Oba n' Edo Uku Akpolopkolo. The Oba of Benin married 3 beautiful wives.

http://www.ngyab.com/2016/10/20/see-the-beautiful-3-wives-of-the-new-oba-of-benin-photo/

See His beautiful Wives Below..

They want to kill this young man who just came back from Germany to be crowned Oba!

Whats he gonna do with those three "matured" women?
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by dragonking3: 8:00am On Oct 21, 2016
Barney11:
that is good. but why didn't the man marry from his age group(if na Muslim now, yawa for don gas here) why did they cover their nose, is benin people smelling?
How old are these women compared to the 10 years old girls you paedophiles love to marry?
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by dragonking3: 8:06am On Oct 21, 2016
winj3:
This fool should be setting example for next generation by marrying ONE wife (1 man, 1 wife), instead he is living like his 6th century ancestors sleeping with the entire village and producing uncountable number of children!

these useless backward customs need to be abolished!
Go to your own village and abolish it there.
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by WORLDPEACE(m): 8:14am On Oct 21, 2016
BornStunner1:

What does Ayelala mean in bini?
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by dragonking3: 8:17am On Oct 21, 2016
hadaydhollarpo:

its a pity you lack knowlegde. The newly crowned king from his speech made reference to Oranmiyan as the first Oba of Benin and Oduduwa which he specifically mentioned amongst the past Obas which discountance the errorineous impression from Benin people thinking they don't belong to the Yoruba race.

wiseoneking:
Dont open the tin of cankerworm. odudUWA is a Bini prince. The UWA in odudUWA is never found in yoruba lexicon and language but only in Benin Names like AdesUWA etc. Eko is also a benin word meaning war camp. I read about first seven lagos obas are decendance of binis. Even the word yoruba was giving to you guys by the hausa fulani invaders. Dont argue about this because all these are varifiable from history of Lagos Obas and origin of the yoruba word.
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by dragonking3: 8:20am On Oct 21, 2016
WORLDPEACE:

What does Ayelala mean in bini?
What does oduduwa mean in Yoruba?
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by WORLDPEACE(m): 8:30am On Oct 21, 2016
dragonking3:
What does oduduwa mean in Yoruba?
I am not seeking clarification on oduduwa. I have my views on that and it is not mainstream Yoruba view. Ayelala in Ilaje dialect where the deity is very popular means "The world is big". No Ilaje person would even try to think of a meaning. It is very obvious. A child will tell you the meaning. What is the meaning of Ayelala in bini?
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by ogtavia(m): 8:59am On Oct 21, 2016
nwasinachi:
those women dey try o. I cant even imagine sharing my man with another woman, and nothing will ever make me sleep with a married man biko, theirs are theirs, while mine is mine
Happy Birthday...

1 Like

Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by chineloSA(f): 9:13am On Oct 21, 2016
bejeiodus:
He is living a kingly life.

Our patriarchs were never monogamists. I wonder why today's men find polygamy repulsive.

If they did, it will never make it right sad sad sad
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by Nobody: 9:42am On Oct 21, 2016
@TrapQueen77

The covering of mouth of the Bini wives of the Oba of Benin is a traditional symbols which only the binis can understand.
Ogidigan gha to kpere ise!!
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by dragonking3: 9:43am On Oct 21, 2016
WORLDPEACE:

I am not seeking clarification on oduduwa. I have my views on that and it is not mainstream Yoruba view. Ayelala in Ilaje dialect where the deity is very popular means "The world is big". No Ilaje person would even try to think of a meaning. It is very obvious. A child will tell you the meaning. What is the meaning of Ayelala in bini?
So you don't know the meaning of oduduwa that you claim to be decendants of? SMH
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by Nobody: 9:45am On Oct 21, 2016
kmarshal:
@TrapQueen77

The covering of mouth of the Bini wives of the Oba of Benin is a traditional symbols which only the binis can understand.
Ogidigan gha to kpere ise!!

OK... So the Benin girls are not allowed to smile on their special day?
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by apatheticme(f): 9:48am On Oct 21, 2016
ChappyChase:
Them no wan miss yern like Bubu grin
Lol
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by MabraO: 10:07am On Oct 21, 2016
Paradise163:
Someone who has an explanation for this should please quote me
Why do those in Benin kingdom tend to cover their mouth with this white handkerchief ? I've seen this even in movies

For u not to see them smile or see their teeth
Oba of Benin no hos wives hardly smile in public function that's y Dey cover their mouth with handkachiefs
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by MabraO: 10:10am On Oct 21, 2016
WORLDPEACE:

Simple question u can't answer

Wetin concern Ayelala concern oduduwa?

Simply answer what is d meaning of oduduwa in Yoruba shikena!!
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by classicaldon(m): 10:20am On Oct 21, 2016
nwasinachi:

my dear... I pity you... so u naw know say u dey share your man with other ladies?!? How many men un/married are faithful... no just conclude ehnn coz even your boo get a boo.
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by Elebiju: 10:21am On Oct 21, 2016
BornStunner1:

FACTS ABOUT THE YORUBAS AKA AFONJAS
( 1 ) . Their story of
kingship began with Edo
prince and the Benin
recorded History .
( 2 ) . Ayayi crawder said,
little were know about
yoruba existence,
meaning they were not
part of Nigeria of today
boarder or were in small
settlement close to
dahomy. yoruba are half
muslims and those with
African traditions copied or got them from Benin
civilization . I doubt if they not immigrants from dahomy
mix with Benins or other fulani- hausa from Niger
. Bishop Samuel Adjayi Crowther (c . 1809 – 31
December 1891 ) Was the first African Anglican bishop
in Nigeria . Born in Osogun (in today's Iseyin Local
Government, Oyo State , Nigeria ) . His grandson was
Herbert Macaulay
( 3 ) . Yoruba have dublicity of kingship with the process
highly politized to being traditional . A system they try
copy from Benin but can 't get it real like the Benin
Kingdom. Edo Obaship is one of the most revered
institutions in the world because of the way it has
sustained its awesome prestige with strict and
meticulous attention to ancient traditions of valour ,
discipline and integrity . Edo chieftaincy titles cannot be
bought or conferred on non- indigenes or frivolously .
Every Edo chief performs a peculiarly sacred duty
and responsibility to the people of Edo. It does not make
sense , therefore , to think that a people who would not
and have never conferred their chieftaincy titles on non-
indigenes, would voluntarily invite , accept, or surrender
to non- indigenes as their kings . Due to celestial
origins , the Edo monarch cannot eat out and cannot be
diverted from full time palace duties to hustle
for contracts .
( 4 ) . Most of today
yoruba religion are
Benin Origin , Olokun ,
Ogun , Iha oguega (ifa ) ,
oronmila, Esago
(shango ) , Ayelala etc .
Many Benin traditions
and spirituality are
stillfully documented by
yorubas in high places
as YORUBA ? (Never mind the Edo man ' s christian
mindset quickly dening Edo have niothing to do with
African traditional religion , agreeing they are foriegn to
Edoland . . . LIE ) .
Although the Great Edo ( Benin ) Kingdom were not major
participants in the trans- Atlantic slave trade , because
the Obas (Kings ) believed that their subjects were too
valuable to sell away , and their noblemen had need of
war captives on their own farms , the influence of Edo
religion and medicine has still been substantial upon
the people of the Americas .
According to Mason (1996 ) , it has been widely
accepted that Olokun ( god of the sea ) worship
originated with the Edo and spread to the Yoruba ( p. 2) .
In fact, the most prominent part of Edo cultural
traditions that has made its mark in the New World is
Olokun worship. Olokun (god of the Waters ) worship
originated from Urhonigbe and then became prominent
at Ughoton around the Ethiope ( Olokun) River . The
priesthood and rituals were firmly established at the
time . Some of the possible points of contact happened
early. During the Ogiso Period , trade with the Yoruba
and Igbos was quite extensive. Olokun worship may
have spread to those areas through traders . Prior to the
Oba Period , Ekaladerhan Izoduwa was initiated into
Olokun as a chief Priest while he stayed at Ughoton ,
before his moving westward with his followers to
establish Ilefe ( Ero , 1999 , p . 108- 109) .
Once he arrived , Ekaladerhan Izoduwa brought Edo
traditions to those areas and was a King of his new
community called Ilefe , which could be what yoruba call
IFE. . From Ekaladerhan Izoduwa ’ s loins , the Yoruba
dynasties may have began. However, it is certain that
Olokun is an Edo divinity whose worship spread to the
outlying Yoruba areas.
I have been through this issue with people who are vast in your history but it won't do me any harm if I school you too.
Please I need you to shed light on some "facts" stated in your comment above, Olokun (god of the sea) or (god of the waters) Benin kingdom has never been close to the ocean abi you don see ocean for your local government? Yorubaland is surrounded by the sea and Olokun literally means he/she that owns the sea.... Okun is sea in yoruba language just like Olorun; he that owns the heaven
The only documented and verifiable fact about benin empire not bini people started from 1180 when it was established, you may not know but I will definitely state it that bini people, benin empire are descendants of igodomigodo and their kings are known as ogiso not oba, the Oba era began with the establishment of benin empire in 1180 but yorubaland has been existing before then. The people who lived in Yorubaland, at least by the seventh century BC, were not initially known as the Yoruba, although they shared a common ethnicity and language group. The historical Yoruba develop in situ, out of earlier (Mesolithic) Volta-Niger populations, by the 1st millennium B.C.E.
Archaeologically, the settlement at Ife can be dated to the 4th century BC, with urban structures appearing in the 12th century. We're all refined here and shouldn't use oral traditions or myths which we know may have been exaggerated over time as a point when we comment. The yorubas have a history that predates the establishment of benin empire in 1180 and these are documented but I keep wondering about the documented history or artifact of igodomigodo before 355 BC because even the igodomigodo dynasty was not dated until recently by one of their wack websites which means it is not verifiable.
The Benin empire took advantage of a scattered region by capturing those regions but this ended with the establishment of the Oyo empire in 1600.
I will only reply if you can give us verifiable facts of the existence of the bini people or igodomigodo dynasty (ended 1091)before yoruba please don't cite oral tradition or myths.
Benin is not Yoruba and Yoruba is not benin
*AFONJA is used for someone from ilorin in kwara state because they are his descendants after he betrayed Oyo Empire when he conspired with Alimi a Nupe warlord to breakaway from Yorubaland, only dimwits will call the the yorubas descendant of Afonja.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

‘Mysterious’ Cloth That Fell From The Sky In Ondo: The Truth (Photos) / Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba / Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.