Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,801 members, 7,817,316 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:03 AM

How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. (5549 Views)

Bishop Oyedepo Criticized For Holding Service At Canaanland Amid Covid-19 / Coronavirus: Apostle Kofi Nkrumah Sarkodie Arrested For Holding Church Service / Where Exactly Is Garden Of Eden??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by JackBizzle: 4:50pm On Oct 24, 2016
Isaacmacdon:
What's then the solution? Living without limits? That lame agenda. A world without christianity is doomed. We are spiritual beings and need that bit of connection with the almighty.

Do you really think atheists live without limits? That they have no morality in them?

So, in other words, you believe that I, as an atheist, will have no problem with tracking your ip address and driving down to come and shoot you so that your religiously infected brain splatters all over your keyboard?

Be careful what you believe
Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Nobody: 6:19pm On Oct 24, 2016
Isaacmacdon:
Knowledge is a universal entity. Naturally, we are made to be very creative beings, all thanks to God. Adam was creative enough to even name the animals we see today. Science on its own is an entity created by human minds in a way to deviate from the fact that wisdom comes from God almighty. That's why it's inconclusive. Why haven't scientist been able to explain the miraculous birth of Jesus Christ?

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Nobody: 6:20pm On Oct 24, 2016
Isaacmacdon:
Knowledge is a universal entity. Naturally, we are made to be very creative beings, all thanks to God. Adam was creative enough to even name the animals we see today. Science on its own is an entity created by human minds in a way to deviate from the fact that wisdom comes from God almighty. That's why it's inconclusive. Why haven't scientist been able to explain the miraculous birth of Jesus Christ?

science have been able to explain how babies are formed in the womb, we understand how our body works through science, infact science have been able to explain things which couldn't b4 now...you are talking to me now because of science, what have religion done for you and me?
Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by GoodMuyis(m): 7:37pm On Oct 24, 2016
Isaacmacdon:
lol, take heart my dear. Take a cue from the sons of eli. Those men were priest of GOD who in all sincerity were meant to serve with a clean slate, but the greediness of those men and the inablity of eli to correct them caused the defeat of the entire Israel. It's same going on currently and the people meant to speak out are silent as a result of fear and taking bribe to keep mute. Ghanians shut down their country when the government refused to provide constant electricity and the government heed to the plight of the citizens. I'm in no way advocating for a revolt, but let's call a spade what it is.

Since the religious have fail Nigeria let the unreligious lead the protest

1 Like

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by winner01(m): 7:52pm On Oct 24, 2016
JackBizzle:

Before I go in to criticise religion, we must understand certain basic facts

1) The main problem of Nigeria is corruption not religion (religion is further down the list of problems)
2) USA and UK are secular countries. Their development has little to do with religion/christianity
3) In fact, the top 10 most developed countries (HDI) in the world are all secular and very irreligious (Norway, Australia, switzerland, denmark)
4) Religion is a tool like a gun- it can be used for good or bad. Guns are mostly used for bad.
5) Our colonial masters who took slaves from our country were christians.
5) As an atheist, islam is a worse religion than christianity with regards to tolerance.

1) The main problem of Nigeria is not corruption, dishonesty, looting etc, the main problem of nigeria and even the world are people who revere neither God nor human life. People who do not care about human life as long as they are satisfied. Atheists call themselves scientists even though they dont know jack about science, same way some devilish individuals call themselves religious just to acheive their selfish means. Think im lying, read this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/3318021/atheists-should-stop-fighting-religion
2)When USA and UK were majorly religious or even over religious, they prospered rapidly and are still prospering till today despite having far more religious people than non religious people, same goes for most of the world powers such as germany, russia, france etc
3) The countries you mentioned are secular not atheistic. We have seen several atheistic countries in the past and how they unleashed terror in the lives of hundreds of millions. Do not side with secularism, irreligion, science or even religion
4)Religion is a tool not like a gun. Christianity especially has been used to acheive peace and has been credited for the rise and spread of democracy throughout major parts of the world. You have a voice today because of christianity. If Nigeria was fully islamic, we'd both be dead. If Nigeria was fully atheistic, well, If God wills, i might have been dead. Ive given proof of atheistic countries which have existed in the past. Atheism is not the same as irreligion or secularism. Many irreligious people believe in God. Ive led secular groups too. Stand with atheism angry
5) Our colonial masters who took slaves were both christians and muslims and they can also be credited for the introduction of educational institutes, health and developmental systems of our country. Christianity was also largely influential to the abolition of slavery in our world. Atheism has not solved any major world problems.
6) Christianity is the reason why you are tolerated. You want to know the meaning of tolerance: We have had islamic countries, we have had atheist countries. There have been no officially declared christian country even though we have had and still have the chance. If christianity was like islam or atheism, we would have no problems taking over the world by force this instant.

JackBizzle:

1) Slavery.
-We were first enslaved by Muslims as early as 12th century or even earlier. Then Western white christians came later. The first slave ship was called the "Good Jesus". Slavery is allowed in the holy books of islam and christianity. Muhammad had slaves and the bible tells one how to beat slaves
We have tackled this issue of slavery in many threads, even in kingebukas threads. I wonder whether you people ever get tired of repeating the same thing over and over. Christianity was largely influenced in the abolition of slavery and the introduction of a system that has gotten nigeria to where it is today. its not like Atheism abolished slavery, what has atheism been responsible for except the deaths of millions.

JackBizzle:

2) Destroying Nigerian culture
-most Japanese do not believe in Shintoism but you will see many shinto shrines being taken care of as the shrines make tourism money for the Japanese. Nigerians on the other hand have destroyed their ancestral shrines due to christianity and islam.
-Nigerian names used to have meaning. Now we have people bearing Jacob, Isiah, and Josiah- (Jewish names).
-Hausa language and culture has been destroyed by islam and replaced with Arabic culture- why would a Nigerian's name be Muhammad Mubarak? Is hijab a fulani/hausa dress?
-White wedding is now more important than traditional wedding. Church can now say that two people shouldnt get married because they are from different churches.
You people never preach the retention of our culture or even traditional religions. You only bring it up on attack. None of the traditional cultures of Nigeria is based on a NO-GOD system.
There are several ancient sites and structures still retained till today. Almost every yourba person I know has a yoruba name (If you are yoruba, you know this in your heart.) JackBizzle does not sound anything Nigerian, it sounds like a slave traders name. And this is someone who wants us to embrace our culture. I dont care if its just a moniker, you should atleast practise what you preach. Im sure you have a yoruba name.
White wedding is a foreign culture, not a biblical culture. If churches stop people from getting married, i dont really care. I only care if Jesus has stopped one from getting married.

JackBizzle:

3) Promoting child-birth (against abortion) and therefore overpopulation and misery
-The catholic church hates condoms.
-Every child is seen as a blessing. Rather than preaching family planning, churches and mosques welcome children and baby dedication.
-Why would a driver that can't feed himself have 10 children? !
This is not even a point. WHy blame religion for this undecided I hope you are not the same person who blamed religion for Nigerias lack of gold medals at the olympics so i can know if im wasting my time. This is outrageous. The Nigerian society has taken family planning seriously.
If uneducated people go against such, the chuch cant reject them like you.
A driver who cant feed himself and has 10 kids needs education and reorientation, not the hatred of atheism.

JackBizzle:

4) Promoting ignorance
-Telling people that every problem in their life is as a result of people cursing them from the village
-Telling people that evolution is a lie
-Telling people that children can be witches
-Telling people that we are all descendants of adam and abraham (When Nigerian culture is older than Judaism/Jews)
-WHo are those that tell this people undecided Do not forget that the african traditional religions are highly superstituous and we are deeply immersed into that system
-The church does not have time for evolution, its too busy for that lie. I was taught evolution in school, now i know its a lie based on my objective look at the available evidence.
-No one tells people anything. A child can profess himself/herself to be a witch undecided
-WE are descendants of Adam.
No one knows how old anything really is, so keep your infinite knowledge to yourself.

JackBizzle:

6) Wasting Nigeria's money
-Wasting government money on pilgrimages (both to Isreal and Mecca)
-Government officials tithing with stolen or government funds
-Churches buying private jets (Are jets, jet spare parts and maintenance done by Nigerians?)
Did the Bible ask us to do any of these undecided
-Christianity is non-governmental unlike atheism and islam and has nothing to do with pilgrimage to isreal. A pilgrimage to isreal is not christianic, but do you complain when you hear the names of looters and their looted billions undecided
Are trains, ships and automobile spare parts done by Nigerians? undecided
Can you ever see farther than religion? undecided

JackBizzle:

7) Promoting inferiority complex to foreigners
-Christians undying love for one of the most racist countries in the world- Isreal
-White Jesus (99% of churches have a white jesus when Jesus is most likely dark skinned)
-Muslims undying love for Saudi Arabia
-Some igbos even claim to be Jews grin grin grin
-American pastors are the best
-Arab imams/clerics are the best
WE love isreal, you can go kill yourself.
Jesus is Jesus, we dont worship images. My church does not have any image of Jesus, neither do i.
the rest of your points are bigoted and terribly blind

JackBizzle:

This and many more.

Remain blessed. Ramen!
I dont really have time to break down the stupidity contained in your submission. WHy not open a thread for both of us on this same issue and tag me.

kingcity:
science have been able to explain how babies are formed in the womb, we understand how our body works through science, infact science have been able to explain things which couldn't b4 now...you are talking to me now because of science, what have religion done for you and me?
Thank God for science. God, the greatest scientist created us in his image and has given us the tools needed for our survival. WE will keep mimicking the creativity of God because we were created in that image.
Science has done a lot for the world, not atheism. ATheism is not science. Many of the founders of science were deeply religious. I'm a research scientist and a follower of christ. What has atheism done for you and me?

cc: Isaacmacdon.

JackBizzle:
^^^
cc Kingebukasblog ati Winner01
If you are yoruba, then eranko gidi nie. Olorun be, eniyan lo go.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by lepasharon(f): 8:26pm On Oct 24, 2016
JackBizzle:
^^^
cc Kingebukasblog ati Winner01

Are you yoruba
Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by raphieMontella: 10:21pm On Oct 24, 2016
Isaacmacdon:
really? Placing un certainty over certainty would lead to a world of inconclusion.Science is not definite and can never be compared with christianity and not religion. Science is a world of guesses and theories. Christianity is a definite phenomenon.
tallesty1...
Can you see one reason here?

2 Likes

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by raphieMontella: 10:21pm On Oct 24, 2016
JackBizzle:

1) The main problem of Nigeria is corruption not religion (religion is further down the list of problems)
2) USA and UK are secular countries. Their development has little to do with religion/christianity
3) In fact, the top 10 most developed countries (HDI) in the world are all secular and very irreligious (Norway, Australia, switzerland, denmark)
4) Religion is a tool like a gun- it can be used for good or bad. Guns are mostly used for bad.
5) As an atheist, islam is a worse religion than christianity with regards to tolerance.

How Christianity and Islam destroyed Nigeria

1) Slavery.
-We were first enslaved by Muslims as early as 12th century or even earlier. Then Western white christians came later. The first slave ship was called the "Good Jesus". Slavery is allowed in the holy books of islam and christianity. Muhammad had slaves and the bible tells one how to beat slaves

-most Japanese do not believe in Shintoism but you will see many shinto shrines being taken care of as the shrines make tourism money for the Japanese. Nigerians on the other hand have destroyed their ancestral shrines due to christianity and islam.
-Nigerian names used to have meaning. Now we have people bearing Jacob, Isiah, and Josiah- (Jewish names).
-Hausa language and culture has been destroyed by islam and replaced with Arabic culture- why would a Nigerian's name be Muhammad Mubarak? Is hijab a fulani/hausa dress?
-White wedding is now more important than traditional wedding. Church can now say that two people shouldnt get married because they are from different churches.

3) Promoting child-birth (against abortion) and therefore overpopulation and misery
-Every child is seen as a blessing. Rather than preaching family planning, churches and mosques welcome children and baby dedication.
-Why would a driver that can't feed himself have 10 children?

4) Promoting ignorance
-Telling people that every problem in their life is as a result of people cursing them from the village
-Telling people that we are all descendants of adam and abraham (When Nigerian culture is older than Judaism/Jews)

5) Promoting bigotry and intolerance
-we hate gays
-we hate atheists
-we hate pagans (despite we all descended from pagans)
-We hate people from other sects (Protestant vs catholics- Sunni v Shia)

-Churches buying private jets (Are jets, jet spare parts and maintenance done by Nigerians?)

-Christians undying love for one of the most racist countries in the world- Isreal
-White Jesus (99% of churches have a white jesus when Jesus is most likely dark skinned)

This and many more.

Remain blessed. Ramen!
logic!

1 Like

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by raphieMontella: 10:23pm On Oct 24, 2016
Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by raphieMontella: 10:36pm On Oct 24, 2016
peacesamuel94:
NIGERIANS ARE THE PROBLEM OF NIGERIA. NOT RELIGION and to be specific, not christianity. not the government(because leaders are produced from the masses). if the citizens are greedy, self centered, and corrupt it will surely reflect in the government. Nigerians should learn To accept responsiblity, instead of pointing accusing fingers on everything and anything, Religion has done more good than harm, civilization modernization, education are all as a result of christianity.

Religion does not inhibits advancement, rather it promotes it.
yeah right!
Tell that to the muslims ----''haram''
and the scientists killed by christians----''heresy''

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by JhyMedex: 11:49pm On Oct 24, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Plenty grammar, no sense...So if we take away Christianity, we'll stop tolerating the ills of political office holders and start protesting. SMH
C'mon Rancho.. I'm kinda always interested in wat u say.. Bt dis ur comment I am nt understanding ni o...

I believe wat he's saying is ;wen we realize dt God ain't gon come down n chastise dis polithiefcians... Dt we r on our own n dis is d only life we've got...
Such realizations will make us more proactive n less tolerant of injustices dis so called leaders continue to mete on us since time immemorial..
Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Ranchhoddas: 12:48am On Oct 25, 2016
JhyMedex:

C'mon Rancho.. I'm kinda always interested in wat u say.. Bt dis ur comment I am nt understanding ni o...

I believe wat he's saying is ;wen we realize dt God ain't gon come down n chastise dis polithiefcians... Dt we r on our own n dis is d only life we've got...
Such realizations will make us more proactive n less tolerant of injustices dis so called leaders continue to mete on us since time immemorial..
...and I tend to disagree. The statement is nothing but an exaggeration of the effects of religion in this country. If anything, bad governance leads to hyper-religiousity and not vice-versa. The woman on the street prays for her son to be healed because of the absence of quality, affordable healthcare. The university graduate prays for a job because there are no jobs. I don't see how religion is preventing our leaders from building roads, schools, and providing jobs or constant power.
Thailand, Kuwait, Qatar are thriving nations that are highly religious. The problem with Nigeria is nothing but bad leaders. We operate a kakistocracy, the day we start to have competent and selfless leaders, we'll start to make progress and it won't matter if the y are pastors, imams or bishops. I don't see how the removal or reduction of religious behaviour is going to improve our lot. I just don't.
Talking about proactivity, all the nations caught up in the Arab Spring were and are still highly religious nations, corrupt governments were toppled and religion or the absence of it was not a factor. I must admit that some of the greatest revolutionists the World has ever seen- che Guevara, Fidel Castro, Mao Zedong, Vladmir Lenin, Lee Kwan Yew ( my heroes, I must add) were hardcore irreligious/atheists but you'd see that their irreligiousity had little to do with what they achieved. Nigerians are docile and can be placated with bags of rice, dropping religion will not change them.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by JackBizzle: 7:41am On Oct 25, 2016
winner01:

1) The main problem of Nigeria is not corruption, dishonesty, looting etc, the main problem of nigeria and even the world are people who revere neither God nor human life. People who do not care about human life as long as they are satisfied. Atheists call themselves scientists even though they dont know jack about science, same way some devilish individuals call themselves religious just to acheive their selfish means. Think im lying, read this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/3318021/atheists-should-stop-fighting-religion
2)When USA and UK were majorly religious or even over religious, they prospered rapidly and are still prospering till today despite having far more religious people than non religious people, same goes for most of the world powers such as germany, russia, france etc
3) The countries you mentioned are secular not atheistic. We have seen several atheistic countries in the past and how they unleashed terror in the lives of hundreds of millions. Do not side with secularism, irreligion, science or even religion
4)Religion is a tool not like a gun. Christianity especially has been used to acheive peace and has been credited for the rise and spread of democracy throughout major parts of the world. You have a voice today because of christianity. If Nigeria was fully islamic, we'd both be dead. If Nigeria was fully atheistic, well, If God wills, i might have been dead. Ive given proof of atheistic countries which have existed in the past. Atheism is not the same as irreligion or secularism. Many irreligious people believe in God. Ive led secular groups too. Stand with atheism angry
5) Our colonial masters who took slaves were both christians and muslims and they can also be credited for the introduction of educational institutes, health and developmental systems of our country. Christianity was also largely influential to the abolition of slavery in our world. Atheism has not solved any major world problems.
6) Christianity is the reason why you are tolerated. You want to know the meaning of tolerance: We have had islamic countries, we have had atheist countries. There have been no officially declared christian country even though we have had and still have the chance. If christianity was like islam or atheism, we would have no problems taking over the world by force this instant.

1) What kind of ignorant Nigerian are you to even argue that Nigeria's problem is not corruption? Greed and corruption have different meanings- please use a dictionary. This is not a point to be debated.

2) Religion started dying when America and Europe were progressing. Enlightenment and industrialization were not religious phenomena. Afterall, when Europe and America were religious, women couldnt vote, slavery was allowed, blasphemy laws were in place. Go and read history, boy.

3) Those countries are secular with a huge number of atheist. If you preached on the bus in any of those countries, you would be thrown out.

4) Christianity is a tool just like any other religion. Both christianity and islam have been used for war and peace. The crusades were a clear example for christian wars. Islam too has a lot of wars on its hands. You just only see the good side of religion not the bad.

5) Atheism is not a religion. Although, there were secular abolitionists of slavery if you dont know. Slavery in some countries was started by christians too. No escaping that. Our colonial slavemasters were christians. No escaping that.

6) Secularism is the reason why atheism is tolerated. If the church ran this country like the vatican, we can expect a lot of oppression from you guys. Secularism allows all religions/beliefs to prosper with no one given special treatment. We run a broken secularism in southern Nigeria.

winner01:

We have tackled this issue of slavery in many threads, even in kingebukas threads. I wonder whether you people ever get tired of repeating the same thing over and over. Christianity was largely influenced in the abolition of slavery and the introduction of a system that has gotten nigeria to where it is today. its not like Atheism abolished slavery, what has atheism been responsible for except the deaths of millions.

Lies. Does the bible not tell you that you can beat a slave as long as you dont disfigure him or her? Why do you like to lie? It is in your old testament.

The new testament does not even say anything against slavery. Why isnt anti-slavery in the ten commandments?

winner01:

You people never preach the retention of our culture or even traditional religions. You only bring it up on attack. None of the traditional cultures of Nigeria is based on a NO-GOD system.
There are several ancient sites and structures still retained till today. Almost every yourba person I know has a yoruba name (If you are yoruba, you know this in your heart.) JackBizzle does not sound anything Nigerian, it sounds like a slave traders name. And this is someone who wants us to embrace our culture. I dont care if its just a moniker, you should atleast practise what you preach. Im sure you have a yoruba name.
White wedding is a foreign culture, not a biblical culture. If churches stop people from getting married, i dont really care. I only care if Jesus has stopped one from getting married.

What are you saying.....your last president's name was Goodluck Jonathan. His native name (Ebele) was not even that important to put as his first name. grin grin

We all know that christians and muslims enjoy destroying shrines. How many threads have we seen pastors doing so? Abegi....just stop the lies.

Herbert Macaulay and David Oyedepo no be yoruba? David na yoruba name?

winner01:

This is not even a point. WHy blame religion for this undecided I hope you are not the same person who blamed religion for Nigerias lack of gold medals at the olympics so i can know if im wasting my time. This is outrageous. The Nigerian society has taken family planning seriously.
If uneducated people go against such, the chuch cant reject them like you.
A driver who cant feed himself and has 10 kids needs education and reorientation, not the hatred of atheism.

What is my business with olympics? Stop the strawman.

The church and christianity promotes ignorance. Churches mostly do not engage in family planning. They hate promoting the use of condoms. They like baby dedication and blessings.

winner01:

-WHo are those that tell this people undecided Do not forget that the african traditional religions are highly superstituous and we are deeply immersed into that system
-The church does not have time for evolution, its too busy for that lie. I was taught evolution in school, now i know its a lie based on my objective look at the available evidence.
-No one tells people anything. A child can profess himself/herself to be a witch undecided
-WE are descendants of Adam.
No one knows how old anything really is, so keep your infinite knowledge to yourself.

-Will you sharrap. Nigerian artifacts have been carbon dated to 400bc. Black people from Africa remain the oldest set of humans and so how can we descendants of some Jewish guy called Adam or Abraham?

-Many churches preach a lot of ignorance;-anti-evolution, child witches, witches from village, etc

-What of Pastor Adeboye who said that he drove for miles on an empty tank?

-Oyedepo that claims that he slaps witches for Jesus?

-TB Joshua that claims that Russian/American planes bombed his building that fell?

-Pastors that say that preach that wives who cannot pray for 2 hours are not good wives?

winner01:

Did the Bible ask us to do any of these undecided
-Christianity is non-governmental unlike atheism and islam and has nothing to do with pilgrimage to isreal. A pilgrimage to isreal is not christianic, but do you complain when you hear the names of looters and their looted billions undecided
Are trains, ships and automobile spare parts done by Nigerians? undecided
Can you ever see farther than religion? undecided

What are you arguing. Do christian not go for pilgrimage in Isreal with government money?

Haven't politicians been caught tithing with government money and the churches accept it?

winner01:

WE love isreal, you can go kill yourself.
Jesus is Jesus, we dont worship images. My church does not have any image of Jesus, neither do i.
the rest of your points are bigoted and terribly blind

Like a religiously confused person, you believe that a country is a chosen one by God. Nevermind that the country (isreal) is one of the most racist countries in the world. A country keen on bullying others on their own land.

Sharrap. which church is that? Sha, any church in Nigeria that has a pic of Jesus in Nigeria is always white. Praise white Jesus

winner01:

I dont really have time to break down the stupidity contained in your submission. WHy not open a thread for both of us on this same issue and tag me.

Thank God for science. God, the greatest scientist created us in his image and has given us the tools needed for our survival. WE will keep mimicking the creativity of God because we were created in that image.
Science has done a lot for the world, not atheism. ATheism is not science. Many of the founders of science were deeply religious. I'm a research scientist and a follower of christ. What has atheism done for you and me?

winner01:

cc: Isaacmacdon.

If you are yoruba, then eranko gidi nie. Olorun be, eniyan lo go.

Haha, I am not yoruba and neither am I a dog

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Tallesty1(m): 7:49am On Oct 25, 2016
raphieMontella:

yeah right!
Tell that to the muslims ----''haram''
and the scientists killed by christians----''heresy''
Are you aware that atheists also wasted the lives of many Christians?
Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by JackBizzle: 7:50am On Oct 25, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
...and I tend to disagree. The statement is nothing but an exaggeration of the effects of religion in this country. If anything, bad governance leads to hyper-religiousity and not vice-versa. The woman on the street prays for her son to be healed because of the absence of quality, affordable healthcare. The university graduate prays for a job because there are no jobs. I don't see how religion is preventing our leaders from building roads, schools, and providing jobs or constant power.
Thailand, Kuwait, Qatar are thriving nations that are highly religious. The problem with Nigeria is nothing but bad leaders. We operate a kakistocracy, the day we start to have competent and selfless leaders, we'll start to make progress and it won't matter if the y are pastors, imams or bishops. I don't see how the removal or reduction of religious behaviour is going to improve our lot. I just don't.
Talking about proactivity, all the nations caught up in the Arab Spring were and are still highly religious nations, corrupt governments were toppled and religion or the absence of it was not a factor. I must admit that some of the greatest revolutionists the World has ever seen- che Guevara, Fidel Castro, Mao Zedong, Vladmir Lenin, Lee Kwan Yew ( my heroes, I must add) were hardcore irreligious/atheists but you'd see that their irreligiousity had little to do with what they achieved. Nigerians are docile and can be placated with bags of rice, dropping religion will not change them.

1) If anything, bad governance leads to hyper-religiousity and not vice-versa.
This statement is false. Hyper-religiousity is a result of ignorance not bad governance. When there was financial crisis in the US and UK in 2008, they didn't pray for solutions- they worked for the solutions.

None of the countries you called are in the top 10 developed countries. The most developed countries are strictly secular countries. The tower of babel should tell you that god does not help with human creativity and development grin

1 Like

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Tallesty1(m): 7:50am On Oct 25, 2016
JhyMedex:

But saying that religion is the reason we haven't revolted is totally false and unacceptable.
Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by JackBizzle: 7:52am On Oct 25, 2016
Tallesty1:
Are you aware that atheists also wasted the lives of many Christians?

Are you also aware that christians have killed both atheists and muslims?
Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Tallesty1(m): 7:53am On Oct 25, 2016
JackBizzle:

Are you also aware that christians have killed both atheists and muslims?

Sure. I am well aware.
Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Ranchhoddas: 8:01am On Oct 25, 2016
JackBizzle:

1) If anything, bad governance leads to hyper-religiousity and not vice-versa.
This statement is false. Hyper-religiousity is a result of ignorance not bad governance. When there was financial crisis in the US and UK in 2008, they didn't pray for solutions- they worked for the solutions.

None of the countries you called are in the top 10 developed countries. The most developed countries are strictly secular countries. The tower of babel should tell you that god does not help with human creativity and development grin
Bad governance----> Poor educational system----> Ignorance.
Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by JackBizzle: 9:02am On Oct 25, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Bad governance----> Poor educational system----> Ignorance.

So, when some eastern tribe was killing twins in the 18th century out of hyper-religiousity and ignorance....was it a result of bad governance?

Odikwa not serious
Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by JackBizzle: 9:04am On Oct 25, 2016
Tallesty1:
Sure. I am well aware.

So far so good.

Have you now seen how religion holds nigeria back?

JackBizzle:

1) Slavery.
4) Promoting ignorance
-we hate gays
-we hate atheists
This and many more.
Remain blessed. Ramen!

1 Like

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by TomHagen: 9:17am On Oct 25, 2016
JackBizzle:

So, when some eastern tribe was killing twins in the 18th century out of hyper-religiousity and ignorance....was it a result of bad governance?

Odikwa not serious
And it was put to an end by a CHRISTIAN missionary- Mary Slessor...Daaaaahh
This is my alternate moniker. I've been banned.
Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by JackBizzle: 9:23am On Oct 25, 2016
TomHagen:
And it was put to an end by a CHRISTIAN missionary- Mary Slessor...Daaaaahh
This is my alternate moniker. I've been banned.

Aye, it was a christian that ended it.

But the point was that bad governance is not the cause of hyper-religiousity.
Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by TomHagen: 9:43am On Oct 25, 2016
JackBizzle:

Aye, it was a christian that ended it.

But the point was that bad governance is not the cause of hyper-religiousity.

Killing of twins was a more cultural than religious affair, so you see that you can't solely blame religion.
Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by Nobody: 9:49am On Oct 25, 2016
Thank God for science. God, the greatest
scientist created us in his image and has given
us the tools needed for our survival. WE will
keep mimicking the creativity of God because
we were created in that image.
Science has done a lot for the world, not
atheism. ATheism is not science. Many of the
founders of science were deeply religious. I'm
a research scientist and a follower of christ.
What has atheism done for you and me?
why are you misquoting me I asked how has religion help us compared to science instead of giving me answer you just found a way chip in atheism into my post?? the point is that we most take science more serious than religion because the later have proven to be more beneficial to us.

cc winner01
Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:02am On Oct 25, 2016
JackBizzle:

1) The main problem of Nigeria is corruption not religion (religion is further down the list of problmse)

Religious intolerance is the problem in a country that has diverse religions

USA has over 70 percent of its population as Christians , the UK has been with Christianity since 37 AD . Christianity has been an integral part of the development of both countries .

I execrate lies . Norway , Denmark , Switzerland are Christian countries . Norway and Denmark official state religion is Christianity and both have state churches . The richest countries in the world have the Christians preponderant. The only countries who have the irreligious preponderant in the world are France , New Zealand , Australia and the UK .

Christianity was even called the religion of millionaires - http://www.cnbc.com/2015/01/14/the-religion-of-millionaires-.html

Religion can be used as a tool to control the masses . Atheistic ideologies like communism was also used as a tool to annihilate religious people

This does not make sense . North Africans during the Barbary Slave Trade enslaved over 1 million Europeans and most of them were Christians

Atheists in communist countries incarcerated Christians , destroyed religious buildings and schools and even killed . With your logic , I can conclude that atheism is bad and the presence of atheism in a country augurs bad development .

You need this :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Christians_in_the_Soviet_Union
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USSR_anti-religious_campaign_(1928%E2%80%9341)

And you need this too : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Christians

1) Slavery.

4) Promoting ignorance

The most economically advanced and wealthiest countries in the world have the Christians preponderant . They still develop despite these "encumbrances " .

Atheist country North Korea uses political religion called the Juche ideology to control the masses . Atheist president Kim channels the country's resources to the military with the desire to subjugate mankind through the development of nuclear weapons .

Atheist country North Korea has no recent memory of halcyon times because of the oppression by the atheist government for more than 5 decades .

Evolution is indeed a lie though there are Christians that believe that evolution was the process God used to create and diversify life - obviously they take the creation story as an allegory .

Atheists also believe in the existence of the supernatural - witches , wizards , spirits , evil spirits etc . More details : https://www.nairaland.com/3320685/atheists-believe-reincarnation-spirits-voodoo

-we hate gays
-we hate atheists

Christ preached love not hate . The use of bible teachings to justify hate is obviously a pretext .

Atheist countries were intolerant of religious practices and promoted bigotry against religious people .Most communist countries also had no tolerance for homosexuality and feminism .

Anytime you have these puerile thoughts , also remember the most advanced countries in the world are Christian countries .

Are you actually serious ? Please deactivate your Nairaland account . cry

This and many more.

Please regale us with more ignorant talks . Thanks bro

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by JackBizzle: 11:22am On Oct 25, 2016
TomHagen:
Killing of twins was a more cultural than religious affair, so you see that you can't solely blame religion.

Lies.

It was the superstititous pagan religion that they practiced that put the birth of twins as ominous....devilish things.
Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by TomHagen: 11:29am On Oct 25, 2016
JackBizzle:

Lies.

It was the superstititous pagan religion that they practiced that put the birth of twins as ominous....devilish things.

Religion highly influenced by culture...
Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by winner01(m): 11:46am On Oct 25, 2016
JackBizzle:

1) What kind of ignorant Nigerian are you to even argue that Nigeria's problem is not corruption? Greed and corruption have different meanings- please use a dictionary. This is not a point to be debated.

2) Religion started dying when America and Europe were progressing. Enlightenment and industrialization were not religious phenomena. Afterall, when Europe and America were religious, women couldnt vote, slavery was allowed, blasphemy laws were in place. Go and read history, boy.

3) Those countries are secular with a huge number of atheist. If you preached on the bus in any of those countries, you would be thrown out.

4) Christianity is a tool just like any other religion. Both christianity and islam have been used for war and peace. The crusades were a clear example for christian wars. Islam too has a lot of wars on its hands. You just only see the good side of religion not the bad.

5) Atheism is not a religion. Although, there were secular abolitionists of slavery if you dont know. Slavery in some countries was started by christians too. No escaping that. Our colonial slavemasters were christians. No escaping that.

6) Secularism is the reason why atheism is tolerated. If the church ran this country like the vatican, we can expect a lot of oppression from you guys. Secularism allows all religions/beliefs to prosper with no one given special treatment. We run a broken secularism in southern Nigeria.

1) Re read my initial answer to you, the problem of Nigeria and the world remain individuals who revere neither God nor human life.

2)Enlightenment was ushered in to major parts of the world by religion. Religion has never been dying, it has been growing monstrously. You can make yourself happy anyway. Those countries along with other world powers have more religious people than non religious people and are still progressing. Your logic does not work.

3) If you preached atheism like you are doin here, you'd be considered a psycho too. Well, thats the tolerance that atheism offers. Those countries remain secular or irreligious, they are not atheistic. We have had atheistic countries and we still have some, we know how terribly inhuman they are.

4) Christianity, politics, tribalism etc have been used for war. Atheism has been used to destroy the lives of millions in ways christianity could never imagine. Anything can be used for war. However, christianity has been used to acheive world peace and democracy in ways other ideologies could only marvel at.

5)Atheism is a religion. The no-godd religion. Even if it was not a religion, the way you and other folks here are religiously devoted to atheism speaks volume.

6) Christianity is the reason why secularism thrives. In islamic or atheistic countries, they enforce their foollishness on innocent people. You have christianity to forever thank for your freedom to spew B.S against christianity or anything.

JackBizzle:

Lies. Does the bible not tell you that you can beat a slave as long as you dont disfigure him or her? Why do you like to lie? It is in your old testament.

The new testament does not even say anything against slavery. Why isnt anti-slavery in the ten commandments?

The Bible records the history of isrealites and the jewish encyclopaedia as quoted by an atheist like you has made us to understand that slavery in the days of the isrealites is nothing like todays notion of slavery.

The new testament was a record of Jesus' life and actions and also some letters to the church. I dont think the Bible cares about what you want to be there or not. We are christians, Christ gave a commandment: Love your neighbour as yourself.

JackBizzle:

What are you saying.....your last president's name was Goodluck Jonathan. His native name (Ebele) was not even that important to put as his first name. grin grin

We all know that christians and muslims enjoy destroying shrines. How many threads have we seen pastors doing so? Abegi....just stop the lies.

Herbert Macaulay and David Oyedepo no be yoruba? David na yoruba name?

We all have native names. If you were a sincere person, your moniker wont be JackBizzle. It would reflect your traditional heritage.

I dont care what pastors do. I only care what Jesus did and is doing.

JackBizzle na Nigerian name. Why not practise what you preach undecided

JackBizzle:

What is my business with olympics? Stop the strawman.

The church and christianity promotes ignorance. Churches mostly do not engage in family planning. They hate promoting the use of condoms. They like baby dedication and blessings.

But you've been using strawman fallacies to uphold your hate na undecided The Church promotes love for fellow humans as christ commanded. That is what a church should do.
Universities do not engage in family planning undecided See how that sounds. undecided
Stop being silly, Many churches engage in sex education, godly dating and other forms of leisure and enlightenment.
If an illiterate decides to have 20 children despite education, the church wont reject him like atheism. We dont reject people.

JackBizzle:

-Will you sharrap. Nigerian artifacts have been carbon dated to 400bc. Black people from Africa remain the oldest set of humans and so how can we descendants of some Jewish guy called Adam or Abraham?

-Many churches preach a lot of ignorance;-anti-evolution, child witches, witches from village, etc

-What of Pastor Adeboye who said that he drove for miles on an empty tank?

-Oyedepo that claims that he slaps witches for Jesus?

-TB Joshua that claims that Russian/American planes bombed his building that fell?

-Pastors that say that preach that wives who cannot pray for 2 hours are not good wives?

We are descendants of Adam not monkeys. Adam was not Jewish. Stop being angry.

Churches do not have time to talk about evolution or other lies. Evolution is untrue, just like the infinity universe theory which was generally accepted by the scientific community was found to be untrue.

Pastor Adeboye or anbody can walk with their heads upside down for all I care as long as God is involved.

Oyedepo does not slap witches for Jesus

A woman and a man should be able to pray and commune with God.
You will keep being angry for a longer time.

JackBizzle:

What are you arguing. Do christian not go for pilgrimage in Isreal with government money?

Haven't politicians been caught tithing with government money and the churches accept it?

Your question is unimportant to me. The question should be "Did Christ command a pilgrimage to isreal or not?"

Do politicians spend money meant for roads on leisure? Well, yes. Does this mean leisure is wrong? No.
Do politicians spend money for govt. projects to build personal estates? Yes. Does this mean building personal estates is wrong? No.

The problem is not only corruption, the problem is with people who neither care about God nor their fellow humans.
Remove your blindfold and Look further than religion for once.

JackBizzle:

Like a religiously confused person, you believe that a country is a chosen one by God. Nevermind that the country (isreal) is one of the most racist countries in the world. A country keen on bullying others on their own land.

Sharrap. which church is that? Sha, any church in Nigeria that has a pic of Jesus in Nigeria is always white. Praise white Jesus
We are a chosen generation called forth to show his excellence. We love isreal and you'd have to go kill yourself on that

No one has a real pic of Jesus. I trust the accounts of Akaine Kramarik and Bob Colton as well as Anna Beams description of Jesus more.
I dont know any white Jesus. I know Jesus, the saviour of the world.

JackBizzle:

Haha, I am not yoruba and neither am I a dog

Ok, JackBizzle the Nigerian.

kingcity:
why are you misquoting me I asked how has religion help us compared to science instead of giving me answer you just found a way chip in atheism into my post?? the point is that we most take science more serious than religion because the later have proven to be more beneficial to us.
cc winner01
Let me also ask you how Arts has helped us compared to psychology. What is wrong with you people.

The non existent feud between science and religion posed by atheists works only for weak people. You are weak. Weak in reasoning.

Religion is not science. Religion, Arts or Commerce may not be able to take me to Lagos, But Science can. This does not mean they oppose each other. Religion is equally as important to man as science. Science is beneficial, religion also is. So is politics.
The atheists only need something to cling to. Nigerians need reorientation and good leaders not the foolishness of atheism. Thats your answer.

1 Like

Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by winner01(m): 12:20pm On Oct 25, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
This is serious. You have refused to be blinded and thats a good thing. cheesy
Re: How Exactly Is Christianity Holding Nigerians Back. by JackBizzle: 12:46pm On Oct 25, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Religious intolerance is the problem in a country that has diverse religions

Kindly shut the hell up. Corruption is Nigeria's main problem.

You are even agreeing with me that religion is one of its major problems.

KingEbukasBlog:

USA has over 70 percent of its population as Christians , the UK has been with Christianity since 37 AD . Christianity has been an integral part of the development of both countries .

See more lies. The UK did not even exist until 1603 ad. The early people in the land now known as UK were saxon pagans. Go and read about the age of enlightenment in Europe and how religion faded during that time.

Dullardinos like you who haven't read history but chat a lot of shite concerning the histories of countries and their development.

The USA remains the only exception in the western world. It is the most religious country in the West. And dumb Nigerians like you fail to realise it has one of the poorest healthcare indices among developed countries and also, it is not even in the top 5 most developed countries.

Keep listening to hustlers like T.D. Jakes, Creflo Dollar and ko.... grin

KingEbukasBlog:

I execrate lies . Norway , Denmark , Switzerland are Christian countries . Norway and Denmark official state religion is Christianity and both have state churches . The richest countries in the world have the Christians preponderant. The only countries who have the irreligious preponderant in the world are France , New Zealand , Australia and the UK .

Preponderant? Jesus, you like big words.......

Anyhow, These countries are highly secular. Norway has removed the Lutheran church as the state church- it has no official religion. Guy, do some reading. These countries are secular. Just try and preach in a bus in any of these countries and you will be thrown out of the bus.

Japan, south korea and china nko? The creators of our modern technology? You no fit talk? grin

KingEbukasBlog:

Christianity was even called the religion of millionaires - http://www.cnbc.com/2015/01/14/the-religion-of-millionaires-.html

If we pick millionaires from india, china, Japan, uk etc, would they be christians?

The top 5 richest people in the wolrd, how many christians among them? Do you want me to kill you with research?

KingEbukasBlog:

Religion can be used as a tool to control the masses . Atheistic ideologies like communism was also used as a tool to annihilate religious people

Communism is a religious ideology, despite it having atheism as part of it.

And like you said- religion is a tool. And it has been a bad tool against nigeria.

KingEbukasBlog:

This does not make sense . North Africans during the Barbary Slave Trade enslaved over 1 million Europeans and most of them were Christians

Atheists in communist countries incarcerated Christians , destroyed religious buildings and schools and even killed . With your logic , I can conclude that atheism is bad and the presence of atheism in a country augurs bad development .

You need this :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Christians_in_the_Soviet_Union
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USSR_anti-religious_campaign_(1928%E2%80%9341)

What are you saying. The Europeans and other westerners who came in the 16th century were christians and they took slaves.

Atheists don't kill for atheism. Christians can kill for christianity. So.there is your difference.

KingEbukasBlog:

The most economically advanced and wealthiest countries in the world have the Christians preponderant . They still develop despite these "encumbrances " .

Atheist country North Korea uses political religion called the Juche ideology to control the masses . Atheist president Kim channels the country's resources to the military with the desire to subjugate mankind through the development of nuclear weapons .

Atheist country North Korea has no recent memory of halcyon times because of the oppression by the atheist government for more than 5 decades .

Are north korea and soviet russia (that doesnt exist anymore) the only atheist countries you know? You have a problem with communism and not atheism.

KingEbukasBlog:

Evolution is indeed a lie though there are Christians that believe that evolution was the process God used to create and diversify life - obviously they take the creation story as an allegory .

Atheists also believe in the existence of the supernatural - witches , wizards , spirits , evil spirits etc . More details : https://www.nairaland.com/3320685/atheists-believe-reincarnation-spirits-voodoo

Evolution is a lie abi?

Keep calm and remain ignorant.

KingEbukasBlog:

Christ preached love not hate . The use of bible teachings to justify hate is obviously a pretext .

Atheist countries were intolerant of religious practices and promoted bigotry against religious people .Most communist countries also had no tolerance for homosexuality and feminism .

Was it love when God killed David's son? Was it love when Jesus flogged the merchants at the temple? Was it love when the isrealites went and took the Canaanites' land from them? Was it love when Moses beat the egyptian soldier to death? Was it love when God flooded the whole world.

Communism is not atheism. Do you need a dictionary?

KingEbukasBlog:

Anytime you have these puerile thoughts , also remember the most advanced countries in the world are Christian countries .
Sharrap. Whenever you have no rebuttal, you just insult

KingEbukasBlog:

Are you actually serious ? Please deactivate your Nairaland account . cry

Please regale us with more ignorant talks . Thanks bro

Shut the hell up. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Invisibility Spell "Charm" Live Demonstration (video) / Pastor Instructs Members To Strip For The Holy Ghost To Penetrate Them.(photos) / Born Of Water And The Spirit And The "Kai" Connection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 185
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.