Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,219 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:44 AM

Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds (4828 Views)

Poll: Is This A Good Move?

Yes: 42% (14 votes)
No: 57% (19 votes)
This poll has ended

Gauck Advised Buhari To Use Illegal Means To Recover Looted Funds -PremiumTimes / Faces Of The Officers That Allegedly Mismanaged, Diverted And Looted $2.1b / Forensic Experts Find Non-human Prints In A/ibom Governorship Ballot Papers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by Nobody: 7:39am On Oct 25, 2009
he Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has hired 10 forensic analysts to trace the whereabouts of about N1trillion looted by sacked Chief Executive Officers and directors of eight banks.

The analysts, who are already in the country, will join eight other forensic experts who are staff of the anti graft commission.

The audit of 24 banks in the country by the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN has led to the removal of eight Managing Directors and many Executive Directors.

While four ex-MDs had been arraigned in court, four others are awaiting trial.

Those yet to be arraigned are a former Executive Vice-Chairman of Intercontinental Bank Plc, Mr. Erastus Akingbola, ex-MD of Bank PHB, Mr. Francis Atuche, former MD of Spring Bank Plc, Mr. Charles Ojo, and the sacked MD of Equatorial Trust Bank, ETB.

It was however learnt that the enormity of the fraud uncovered in the eight banks has forced the EFCC to engage 10 forensic analysts to look into the records of these banks.

The identities and countries where the analysts came from were kept secret last night.

The analysts have reportedly been working round the clock with EFCC operatives in an undisclosed location in Lagos .

"We have decided to be secretive about the activities of the forensic experts because the fraud perpetrated by these ex-CEOs was done with hi-tech.

"Their refusal to disclose where the funds were wired, prompted Waziri  to hire forensic analysts to join those in the commission." our source said.

Some of the looted funds have already been traced to Dubai , London , USA and some assets in Nigeria among others.

Early results he said to have indicated that the sacked CEOs actually stole depositors’ funds through bogus loans and wired them out of Nigeria through cronies.

The Head of Media and Publicity of the EFCC, Mr. Femi Babafemi, could not be reached last night at his New York base.

http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/23133/1/Banks-EFCC-hires-10-forensic-experts-to-trace-N1trillion-looted-funds/page1.html
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by POSAKOSA1(m): 7:50am On Oct 25, 2009
This is madness. I wish they hired me. I will do a great job.    grin grin grin grin grin grin

I will gladly trace those funds to my account. cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by AloyEmeka6: 7:51am On Oct 25, 2009
How will forensics work in this case?. Are they looking for DNA's on the vaults or what?. One thing is getting a scientific link to the money and another is getting the person to match it to. Nigeria has no CODIS, no record of its citizens, no nothing. For all I know, it could be Akingbemaru or Udezue who are responsible for the stolen money. Oyibo too sabi thief, just pay them money, they will come and speak english for them instead of telling that mamula known as Mrs Waziri that this will not work.
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by Kobojunkie: 8:01am On Oct 25, 2009
Forensics ke?? She should start tracking the funds looted by member of the house as well. Less than 2 years ago, Bankole was an ordinary Nigeria, today he is able to afford a piece of land for over 300 million. If she needs a forensic expert to know that there is something fishy there that probably needs to be investigated, she should hire me to do her job for her.
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by emiwanlee(m): 8:01am On Oct 25, 2009
who is fooling who?
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by mbulela: 8:10am On Oct 25, 2009
another contract issued, another looting in progress.
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by AloyEmeka6: 8:13am On Oct 25, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Forensics ke?? She should start tracking the funds looted by member of the house as well. Less than 2 years ago, Bankole was an ordinary Nigeria, today he is able to afford a piece of land for over 300 million. If she needs a forensic expert to know that there is something fishy there that probably needs to be investigated, she should hire me to do her job for her.

I don't know whether its inferiority complex or what. Why hire an expatriate to help you catch the rat that steals your fish at night when you are in the best position to target the rat?. The same way Bola Tinubu paid Scotland Yard $1M to help find who murdered that lagos gov aspirant some years ago and all they discovered was finger prints of his servants. The funny thing is the police arrested them and started torturing them. Why won't their finger prints be in the house they clean everyday, DUH.
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by POSAKOSA1(m): 8:24am On Oct 25, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

I don't know whether its inferiority complex or what. Why hire an expatriate to help you catch the rat that steals your fish at night when you are in the best position to target the rat?. The same way Bola Tinubu paid Scotland Yard $1M to help find who murdered that lagos gov aspirant some years ago and all they discovered was finger prints of his servants. The funny thing is the police arrested them and started torturing them. Why won't their finger prints be in the house they clean everyday, DUH.

LOL, grin grin grin grin grin

they're using our money to carry out their business deals.
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by Kobojunkie: 8:33am On Oct 25, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

$1 million dollars ?? WOW!!! I wonder how we justified that expense to the tax payers. We had to spend so much money because we are lagosians, and it is ok that there has been no return on that investment? I am sure there is someone out there who will be willing to come in to tell us of how Tinubu DID the right thing there.
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by Nobody: 8:58am On Oct 25, 2009
And what will if efcc do after the funds have been traced to ibb,obasanjo,ibori,dangote etc cuz i'm sure they will make the list
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by puskin: 9:27am On Oct 25, 2009
Which list??
No be 2day dey start 2dey trace looted funds now.
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by Nobody: 9:29am On Oct 25, 2009
the forensic experts will charge at least 30% of whatever they recover,another 40% will disappear into private pockets.whats left?

the usual sing-song we are used to
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by MrCrackles(m): 9:34am On Oct 25, 2009
EFCC - Epileptic fuckwits Constituting Cluelessness. . . . .
I laugh with a pacemaker. . .EFCC keep up the "goodwork" grin
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by PapaBrowne(m): 9:50am On Oct 25, 2009
Jargon!!!
Hmmmmmm! Nigerians are a sad bunch.
How can people believe this nonsense.
Which 1 trillion Naira was looted??
The money has been lost in the stock market and now you need forensic experts to trace it?? OOOOh Pleeease!!

We have bad leaders  because we have an illiterate followership. It is that knowledge that makes a woman like Farida Waziri come out and talk this kind of jargon, knowing fully well that majority of Nigerians, both educated and uneducated are all big time  illiterates.
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by presido1: 11:20am On Oct 25, 2009
Another Fraud.
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by mistakay: 12:38pm On Oct 25, 2009
@Aloy Emeka
There are many types of forensics the dna and fingerprints you referring to is not what is going on here.many fields have diffrent forensic experts these ones will be looking for trace of the looted funds where ever they might be.
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by Fhemmmy: 1:20pm On Oct 25, 2009
Missing money, we have so many names already, we have investigators, or if you dont trust those, get some more from foreign land, those with nothing to lose, Forensic officials for looting money?
I rest my case.
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by TheSeeker(m): 1:30pm On Oct 25, 2009
Were the funds moved in bags or electronically? What has forensics got to do with this? Who was in charge? From where did the money leave? Who signed for it? Where did it land? I ask again, what's forensic got to do with this. I have said it, OBJ is still there supporting his fireworks. grin angry
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by Nobody: 1:44pm On Oct 25, 2009
TheSeeker:

Were the funds moved in bags or electronically? What has forensics got to do with this? Who was in charge? From where did the money leave? Who signed for it? Where did it land? I ask again, what's forensic got to do with this. I have said it, OBJ is still there supporting his fireworks. grin angry
. U are very correct
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by Nobody: 1:44pm On Oct 25, 2009
TheSeeker:

. U are very correct
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by ayo84(m): 2:02pm On Oct 25, 2009
This EFCC should get a life and do thier job,the hiring of forensic experts is just a smoke screen

[flash=300,107]http://www.del-premium.com/advert2.swf[/flash]
shop online for naija tshirts
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by redsky1: 7:16pm On Oct 25, 2009
forensic accountants

are you people that dumb - forensic experts in financial matters are referred to as forensic accountants or auditors.

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by POSAKOSA1(m): 7:21pm On Oct 25, 2009
redsky1:

forensic accountants

are you people that dumb - forensic experts in financial matters are referred to as forensic accountants or auditors.

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and they don't have forensic experts in Nigeria ? u're missing the point.

We all knows who the thieves are ? the question becomes: ok we ALL know who stole and what are you going to do about it ? NOTHING!
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by jaybee3(m): 7:23pm On Oct 25, 2009
POSAKOSA1:

and they don't have forensic experts in Nigeria ? u're missing the point.

We all knows who the thieves are ? the question becomes: ok we ALL know who stole and what are you going to do about it ? NOTHING!
Is it hear say that you gonna present at the court of law?
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by POSAKOSA1(m): 7:29pm On Oct 25, 2009
jay bee:

Monies were assigned to projects that were never completed or even started. How obvious or apparent can that be ?

I've interned with the U.S. Senate before and when investigations and conducted, SENATORS conduct this investigations and they certainly don't have degrees in forensic accounting.

Congressman Charlie Rangel: his peers are conducting investigations about his fraudulent act/behavior and NOT forensic accountants.

HEAR SAY is certainly not a problem here. Its an excuse to show that they are working towards eliminating fraud. Obasanjo stole and there is NOTHING ANYBODY can do about that. FORENSIC ACCOUNTANTS OR NOT.
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by Sagamite(m): 7:29pm On Oct 25, 2009
redsky1:

forensic accountants

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You beat me to it, I was going to explain it.

If this is done right, these forensic experts would be good at understanding global (not just Naija) banking mechanism to ascertain how these Bank honchos might have diverted the funds to different accounts and investments globally.

I doubt there are such qualified accountants (i.e. global forensic experts) in Nigeria.

jay bee:

Bruv, thank you o.

Nigerians just like to scream and complain at every opportunity without objectively looking at issues or even understanding it.
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by Ibime(m): 7:29pm On Oct 25, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

How will forensics work in this case?. Are they looking for DNA's on the vaults or what?. One thing is getting a scientific link to the money and another is getting the person to match it to. Nigeria has no CODIS, no record of its citizens, no nothing. For all I know, it could be Akingbemaru or Udezue who are responsible for the stolen money. Oyibo too sabi thief, just pay them money, they will come and speak english for them instead of telling that mamula known as Mrs Waziri that this will not work.

hehehehehe. . . . . no talk this kain thing for public o. . . .na financial forensics dem dey yarn, not DNA forensics.
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by POSAKOSA1(m): 7:31pm On Oct 25, 2009
******leaves thread at this point********** doesn't feel like engaging in bogus dialogue.

My uncle stole money <will not reveal his name> and THERE IS NOTHING ANY AUTHORITY UNDER THE SUN IN NIGERIA CAN DO ABOUT IT.

We can hire all the forensic accountants we want.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by POSAKOSA1(m): 7:34pm On Oct 25, 2009
Waziri doesn't  know who stole money ?   grin grin grin grin grin

If your mother give you money to put in the bank and that money is never reported to have been deposited in the bank ? Will she hire a forensic scientist to figure out who took the money ? when it is OBVIOUS that you never deposited the money in the bank as a result YOU should be held responsible
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by zmurda(m): 7:35pm On Oct 25, 2009
things de happen.
i bet after 3 years, we'll need to find another forensic team to trace the ones that were awarded the job in the first place
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by POSAKOSA1(m): 7:36pm On Oct 25, 2009
Its probably a requirement by the WORLD BANK to conduct this investigations so that they can keep giving Nigeria money, who cares ? same old shit grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Efcc Hires 10 Forensic experts To Trace #1 Trillion Looted Funds by jaybee3(m): 7:41pm On Oct 25, 2009
POSAKOSA1:

Waziri doesn't know who stole money ? grin grin grin grin grin

If your mother give you money to put in the bank and that money is never reported to have been deposited in the bank ? Will she hire a forensic scientist to figure out who took the money ? when it is OBVIOUS that you never deposited the money in the bank as a result YOU should be help responsible ?
typical nigerian reasoning, and you sure wouldn't be surprised abt how many people have suffered at the hands of inept police officers with such reasoning. now cos money wasn't deposited means he should be held responsible? yes he needs to be questioned but not necessarily held responsible for not depositing the money. he could have been robbed for all i care and or just stupidly misplaced the dough.

why do you think stone cold killers sometimes walk away from court in the western world? simple, without no staunch evidence the will be laughed at on the court. i have performed jury service in the UK and we are always told only to convict when we are certain beyond reasonable doubt and this is where evidence is needed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oshiomhole Sacks State Executive Council / Ekiti Gov Elect Ayo Fayose A Muslim? / First China-made Passenger Jet Leaves Production Line - Al Jazeera English

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.