Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,133 members, 7,849,551 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 12:17 AM

Tension As Nigerian Senate Begins Probe Of Customs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tension As Nigerian Senate Begins Probe Of Customs (945 Views)

Certificate: ABU To Speak On Dino Melaye Today, Senate Begins Probe / Senate Begins Investigation Of Dino Melaye Over Alleged Certificate Scandal / EFCC Recovers 17 Vehicles From Abdullahi Dikko, Ex-Comptroller Of Customs (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tension As Nigerian Senate Begins Probe Of Customs by clara472: 7:58pm On Oct 26, 2016

The Nigerian Senate are set to probe the Nigerian Customs Service (NCS)

The Nigerian Senate has commenced a comprehensive probe of the activities of the Nigerian Customs Service (NCS) with a view to blocking all sources of revenue leakages.This decision was taken by the Senate committee on customs and excise to look at way to increase revenue generation capacity of the service.

The chairman of the committee, Senator Hope Uzodimma during an oversight visit to the headquarters of the NCS in Abuja said that service should be generating enough revenue to fund the nation’s budget.He expressed dissatisfaction over a report by the ministry of finance which showed that the custom service had generated less than N400 billion in 2016.

“All we are interested in doing is to bring up a robust position that will help the NCS earn more revenue.

“In order to do that effectively we are looking at their current modus operandi with a view to refining how things are done so that more revenue can accrue to the service.

“By the time we look at the operations of some of these ports, we will come back and look at how best to amend and alter the existing Act.

“We want to create a document that will be bold enough to earn the country the kind of revenue we are looking fro from non-oil sector,” he said.

Speaking on the revelation that oil majors were not accessible to the Service for payment of levies, the senator said that those are some of the areas that require enabling laws.“There are some limitations that has not made it possible for Customs to perform the way they should according to their mandate.

“Those are things that we will also look at and remove all obstacles to enable them function effectively,” he said.

Speaking with the Comptroller-General of the Service, Colonel Hameed Ali (rtd), the committee requested the submission of certain relevant document to enhance the probe.

It gave the commission till Friday, October 28, to submit the requested documents and answer all the queries posed.Ali assured the committee of the full cooperation of the service directing his officials to provide the committee with all the information it required.

The minister of finance, Mrs Kemi Adeosun, has criticized the high of corruption in customs and other agencies. She said that government’s efforts of realizing money from such agencies were being vulnerable by high-level corruption.

Adeosun further described some staff of Nigerian Customs Service, as “cohesive crooks hard to break.”

Source: http://nigerianewsnow.com.ng/2016/10/26/tension-as-nigerian-senate-begins-probe-of-customs/
Re: Tension As Nigerian Senate Begins Probe Of Customs by chinjo(m): 8:19pm On Oct 26, 2016
No need to panic. they just want to know wetin dey sup
Re: Tension As Nigerian Senate Begins Probe Of Customs by richidinho(m): 8:23pm On Oct 26, 2016
They better do, because i dont know how come we are so broke that we cannot sponsor common table tennis team to Morocco.

Have we started contributing to Organization of Islamic Council?
Re: Tension As Nigerian Senate Begins Probe Of Customs by settie: 8:24pm On Oct 26, 2016
"

Speaking on the revelation that oil majors were not accessible to the Service for payment of levies, the senator said that those are some of the areas that require enabling laws.“There are some limitations that has not made it possible for Customs to perform the way they should according to their mandate. "

Oil companies have a way of avoiding customs n excise duties on equipment n machinery they import. There is a need to spotlight that area of concern
Re: Tension As Nigerian Senate Begins Probe Of Customs by MTHBOSS(m): 8:33pm On Oct 26, 2016
Ummmmmmmm, no wonder...
Re: Tension As Nigerian Senate Begins Probe Of Customs by sonofspada(m): 9:36pm On Oct 26, 2016
Probe na today,. . Someone has ready collected money somewhere to die the matter on arrival..

All the fuss nobody tangie is going down
Re: Tension As Nigerian Senate Begins Probe Of Customs by sonofspada(m): 9:42pm On Oct 26, 2016
Probe na today,. . Someone has ready collected money somewhere to die the matter on arrival..

All the fuss nobody tangible is going down.

undecided
Re: Tension As Nigerian Senate Begins Probe Of Customs by MONITZ: 10:41pm On Oct 26, 2016
I hope this probe won't set the headquarters of the Nigerian Custom Service ablaze? because I know this is the normal practice by some unscrupulous people who re hell bent on covering their tracks. The N. C. S. is every inch a cesspit of corruption and everything that is wrong with this country.
Re: Tension As Nigerian Senate Begins Probe Of Customs by Sall(m): 11:18pm On Oct 26, 2016
The Nigeria Senate indeed,Nothing, I repeat nothing will come out of the probe. Bunch of legislotters.
Re: Tension As Nigerian Senate Begins Probe Of Customs by Rucheen(m): 3:49am On Oct 27, 2016
P
Re: Tension As Nigerian Senate Begins Probe Of Customs by Sibrah: 4:08am On Oct 27, 2016
Just like the kingdom of God, the anti-corruption harvest is much but the labourers (honest ones) are few. Years of unchecked corruption is making it harder for anti-corruption crusaders. I hope an anti-corruption clique that span accross parastatals isn't floated against this crusade.
Re: Tension As Nigerian Senate Begins Probe Of Customs by Olasco93: 4:11am On Oct 27, 2016
It's long overdue.
Re: Tension As Nigerian Senate Begins Probe Of Customs by Moreoffaith(m): 6:40am On Oct 27, 2016
Custom.....The loophole in theat sector pass basket own ..
Re: Tension As Nigerian Senate Begins Probe Of Customs by lekkie073(m): 12:22pm On Oct 27, 2016
MONITZ:
I hope this probe won't set the headquarters of the Nigerian Custom Service ablaze? because I know this is the normal practice by some unscrupulous people who re hell bent on covering their tracks. The N. C. S. is every inch a cesspit of corruption and everything that is wrong with this country.
check ur mail...
Re: Tension As Nigerian Senate Begins Probe Of Customs by MONITZ: 1:18pm On Oct 27, 2016
lekkie073:
check ur mail...

I will do that much later, wat caught my attention abt ur handle was a post u made sometime ago where u said u attended Children's Home School, Ibadan.

Surprised because that was my primary school too and I was a boarder.U remember Uncle Dispenser, mama ologi, the late iya Asamu and Co.i hope u still remember all these people that I mentioned?

(1) (Reply)

1 Soldier Killed, 3 Others Wounded During Insurgence Attack In Kangarwa (photos) / Is Buhari Really Replacing Vice President Osibanjo With Orji Uzor Kalu? / Buhari, Shekau Listed Among Most Powerful Muslims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.