Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,357 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:49 PM

Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? (7872 Views)

Poll: Should we?

Yes: 66% (37 votes)
No: 33% (19 votes)
This poll has ended

When The Bride Price Is Too High For Him To Pay / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by neowelsh(m): 5:37pm On Oct 31, 2009
go get a good job grin grin grin because if u have one u wont be bother about birth bride lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by na2day2(m): 9:58pm On Oct 31, 2009
neo_welsh:

go get a good job grin grin grin because if u have one u wont be bother about birth bride lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

i have a job and i am bothered about bride price, u guys call it tradition, where were u when the women claim that house work which was in our tradition a woman's work is not a 50% 50% between husband and wives in the name of civilization. if the women can throw out things they don't like, why can't we men throw out things we don't like in the tradition? undecided undecided
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by Liedetect: 3:05am On Nov 01, 2009

Please, let’s not go down the road of other uncivilised Africans who believe that to do away with everything traditional means that they are being civilised and modern and being modern means go follow, follow oyibo.

If we all go down the route of doing oyibo wedding, wearing oyibo cloth, eating oyibo food the world will be a less interesting place.

So let us keep our culture/traditions irrespective of what other primitive Africans who believe that abandoning their culture and aping oyibo means they have somehow become enlighten when in fact they have become slaves.

So many African countries abandoning of culture is what has given the world the common perception that Africans have nothing to offer apart from lions, wildebeest, HIV, starving people and rhythm/music. In fact even the music aspect is being taking away from Africa, for they have subverted it into world music. Whilst Asians, Arabs, Oriental’s etc are held up as people with great cultures, Africa apart from Nigeria offers nothing.

Let us keep our bride price, traditional wedding, foods, clothing, language polygamy and other traditional beliefs in fact the more enlighten one becomes the more one realise the importance of cultural relevance.

I am not advocating we abandon new things but only that in the process of doing so we should not abandon what is ours.

In Palestine, a suitor has to provide twenty five thousand pounds worth of gold to the women before her parents accept him and some of us here cry blood for a goat and want to abandon culture.

Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by na2day2(m): 7:21am On Nov 02, 2009
Liedetect:

Please, let’s not go down the road of other uncivilised Africans who believe that to do away with everything traditional means that they are being civilised and modern and being modern means go follow, follow oyibo.

If we all go down the route of doing oyibo wedding, wearing oyibo cloth, eating oyibo food the world will be a less interesting place.

So let us keep our culture/traditions irrespective of what other primitive Africans who believe that abandoning their culture and aping oyibo means they have somehow become enlighten when in fact they have become slaves.

So many African countries abandoning of culture is what has given the world the common perception that Africans have nothing to offer apart from lions, wildebeest, HIV, starving people and rhythm/music. In fact even the music aspect is being taking away from Africa, for they have subverted it into world music. Whilst Asians, Arabs, Oriental’s etc are held up as people with great cultures, Africa apart from Nigeria offers nothing.

Let us keep our bride price, traditional wedding, foods, clothing, language polygamy and other traditional beliefs in fact the more enlighten one becomes the more one realise the importance of cultural relevance.

I am not advocating we abandon new things but only that in the process of doing so we should not abandon what is ours.

In Palestine, a suitor has to provide twenty five thousand pounds worth of gold to the women before her parents accept him and some of us here cry blood for a goat and want to abandon culture.

where dem take get that gold kin in this day and age? why don't u stop reading story books and look at the real world around. nonsense! ! !
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by lipuka(m): 8:57am On Nov 23, 2009
My stupid sister paid her own bride price. Can you imagine?
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by lipuka(m): 9:00am On Nov 23, 2009
Even here in Kenya, some parents demand a lot, as much as 1 million naira! This does not include other thjings. And the wedding cost will be borne by the bridegromm's family
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by lipuka(m): 9:01am On Nov 23, 2009
Africas do not pay dowry. This is for Asians
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by lipuka(m): 9:01am On Nov 23, 2009
Some customs are outr of date
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by lipuka(m): 9:02am On Nov 23, 2009
Change must come, whether good or bad
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by na2day2(m): 10:47am On Nov 24, 2009
lipuka:

Even here in Kenya, some parents demand a lot, as much as 1 million naira! This does not include other thjings. And the wedding cost will be borne by the bridegromm's family

one million naira! shocked shocked shocked i am moving to kenya grin grin
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by lipuka(m): 6:44pm On Nov 26, 2009
If yopu have that kind of money, Lipukas have very many candidates. Come and choose. Only remember, you keep on paying for the rest of your life
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by mamagee3(f): 11:20pm On Dec 13, 2009
Bride price makes divorce rates in Nigeria low. tongue
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by na2day2(m): 3:32am On Dec 14, 2009
mama-gee:

Bride price makes divorce rates in Nigeria low. tongue

yeah right!
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by lipuka(m): 12:01pm On Jan 21, 2010
Culture can be outdated
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by MissJulez(f): 1:32pm On Jan 21, 2010
I dont see why Bride price should be elimanated. it is part of the culture of the country, whether or not it is modern or western is besides the point. it is what set us apart from other countries, with customs and traditions that make nigeria the beautiful and cuturally rich country it is.
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by na2day2(m): 8:57am On Jan 22, 2010
MissJulez:

I dont see why Bride price should be elimanated. it is part of the culture of the country, whether or not it is modern or western is besides the point. it is what set us apart from other countries, with customs and traditions that make nigeria the beautiful and cuturally rich country it is. i feel as though conforming to the western world and going about their way of things will not help modernise nigeria, rather make it a country which follows and copies as others do.
i feel men should continue paying bride price as it is a way of showing committment.

If we stop paying bride price, as it is not 'modern', we should COPY the westerners abi okay so we should we now start disrespecting our parents? going out at early hours of the morning and not returning home for days? getting pregnant at 14,15? - are these not all factors that the western world struggle with everyday

Tradition and Culture is what keeps the people and youth of nigeria grounded. Let us stick to our tradition, as it is OUR culture, there is no need for us to COPY others.

I am a NIGERIAN Girl my mother raised me in nigerian culture and treated me as though we were back home, yet i was born and raised in the UK, Culture is sooooo important to me because i see how useless some of the englsih children are over here in UK, lack of culture = lack of morals, which produces bad behaviour and lack of respect!

Abeg the men should continue to be paying bride price jare!

when i get married i will ensure that my family take bride price from my husband.

so u agree that u will kneel down to give ur hubby food and water, wash his clothes etc , right?
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by H2O2: 9:04am On Jan 22, 2010
na2day?:

so u agree that u will kneel down to give your hubby food and water, wash his clothes etc , right?
mehn, see our lives as men. it seems these women keep speaking with both sides of their mouths. on the one hand they want their bride prices paid - else you are not a "real man", on the other they refuse to play their roles as wives.

westernization and modernization won't allow us hear word again.
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by na2day2(m): 9:08am On Jan 22, 2010
H2O2:

mehn, see our lives as men. it seems these women keep speaking with both sides of their mouths. on the one hand they want their bride prices paid - else you are not a "real man", on the other they refuse to play their roles as wives.

westernization and modernization won't allow us hear word again.

no mind dem, dem think say we bi mugu, dem never start grin grin grin
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by MissJulez(f): 6:14pm On Jan 22, 2010
x
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by na2day2(m): 11:54pm On Jan 22, 2010
MissJulez:

Na lie! Who told you I won't be a good wife? You are misunderstanding the point being made, Bride price is a matter of keeping tradtion n culture alive, I will serve my husband and treat him how he should be treated, that won't be a problem because he better be doing the same for me!

so traditionally and culture wise, u were told that ur husband will serve u too? i like to know what tribe that is
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by lipuka(m): 1:01pm On Jan 23, 2010
Tradition has many good and bad things. Some are best left out
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by na2day2(m): 6:42pm On Jan 23, 2010
lipuka:

Tradition has many good and bad things. Some are best left out

and that includes bride price wink wink
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by MissJulez(f): 10:16pm On Jan 23, 2010
@na2day or whatever your name is! Where did u see me write that I have been taught husbands serve their wives I beg read something proper before you start makin rubbish accusations!
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by na2day2(m): 10:37pm On Jan 23, 2010
MissJulez:

@na2day or whatever your name is! Where did u see me write that I have been taught husbands serve their wives I beg read something proper before you start makin rubbish accusations!

maybe u shld read ur own post b4 replying to mine
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by H2O2: 10:38pm On Jan 23, 2010
MissJulez:

Na lie! Who told you I won't be a good wife? You are misunderstanding the point being made, Bride price is a matter of keeping tradtion n culture alive, I will serve my husband and treat him how he should be treated, that won't be a problem because he better be doing the same for me!
A fork should be stuck in some traditions, don't you agree?
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by THEAMAKA(f): 10:40pm On Jan 23, 2010
@ topic
yes we should.
$50,000 should do.
cool
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by H2O2: 10:43pm On Jan 23, 2010
na2day?:

so traditionally and culture wise, u were told that your husband will serve u too? i like to know what tribe that is
grin grin grin deluded babe.
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by na2day2(m): 11:07pm On Jan 23, 2010
H2O2:

grin grin grin deluded babe.

no mind am grin grin grin
Re: Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? by mayojuri: 11:30am On May 16, 2013
Bride price is highly essential, just that is been abused by many families

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Distasteful Dressing By Ghanaian Women In Public (PHOTO) / Ijaw Izon! Ijaw People This is a topic For You / Mixed Tribes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.