Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,165 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:11 PM

The Step By Step Guide To Being The ‘Perfect’ Daughter-In-Law - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Step By Step Guide To Being The ‘Perfect’ Daughter-In-Law (3950 Views)

Wife Sent Packing For Questioning Husband Over Her Mother-in-law's Visit / Woman Shocked As Her Mother Dresses Her Daughter In Shoes She Wore 35years Ago / Man Sues In-laws For Giving Him Already Pregnant Daughter In Kaduna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Step By Step Guide To Being The ‘Perfect’ Daughter-In-Law by Mimzyy(f): 4:03pm On Oct 27, 2016
Creamish:

If I told U, would U believe?

Don't even bother. No matter how hard you try to explain, someone with a preconceived notion will never see reasons with you.

3 Likes

Re: The Step By Step Guide To Being The ‘Perfect’ Daughter-In-Law by bukatyne(f): 4:15pm On Oct 27, 2016
Funny thread.

However, some of the stuffs are good things DILs can do to endear their MILs to them.

1 Like

Re: The Step By Step Guide To Being The ‘Perfect’ Daughter-In-Law by Acidosis(m): 4:16pm On Oct 27, 2016
Mimzyy:

Don't even bother. No matter how hard you try to explain, someone with a preconceived notion will never see reasons with you.

exactly, unlike the author of this thread whose ideas are post-conceived

una well-done oo

1 Like

Re: The Step By Step Guide To Being The ‘Perfect’ Daughter-In-Law by Mimzyy(f): 4:20pm On Oct 27, 2016
bukatyne:
Funny thread.

However, some of the stuffs are good things DILs can do to endear their MILs to them.

I concur, provided the MIL is receptive then why not?
Re: The Step By Step Guide To Being The ‘Perfect’ Daughter-In-Law by crackhaus: 4:21pm On Oct 27, 2016
Creamish:

Kindly recheck the emboldened and increase the number of women U know of with ur stated example so ur generalized statement would be justified..

What some men need to understand is that whenever their wives have genuine issues with their MIL, they need to step in..as against joining forces with their mothers against their wives like they were never weaned.

I respect the MILs who genuinely luv their DILs..and the men who can stand for the right thing in every situation. cool

Mim.zyy.. nice thread BTW. Funny stuff. It's humour lost on some sadly.
And how exactly does the humour and sarcasm therein remove from the idea that there is a real problem between DILs and MILs? grin
Re: The Step By Step Guide To Being The ‘Perfect’ Daughter-In-Law by bukatyne(f): 4:22pm On Oct 27, 2016
Mimzyy:

I concur, provided the MIL is receptive then why not?

Starting with a clean slate helps too.

3 Likes

Re: The Step By Step Guide To Being The ‘Perfect’ Daughter-In-Law by Mimzyy(f): 4:23pm On Oct 27, 2016
Acidosis:

una well-done oo

3 Likes

Re: The Step By Step Guide To Being The ‘Perfect’ Daughter-In-Law by Creamish(f): 4:31pm On Oct 27, 2016
crackhaus:

And how exactly does the humour and sarcasm therein remove from the idea that there is a real problem between DILs and MILs? grin

It doesn't.
Re: The Step By Step Guide To Being The ‘Perfect’ Daughter-In-Law by crackhaus: 4:34pm On Oct 27, 2016
Creamish:

It doesn't.
There you go smiley
Re: The Step By Step Guide To Being The ‘Perfect’ Daughter-In-Law by Fkforyou(m): 4:36pm On Oct 27, 2016
Acidosis:

What's there to enjoy?

The humor and sarcasm.

3 Likes

Re: The Step By Step Guide To Being The ‘Perfect’ Daughter-In-Law by Creamish(f): 4:45pm On Oct 27, 2016
crackhaus:

There you go smiley

Are U always serious? I'm one to search for a laugh in a situation that could cause depression. It helps with the BP. This here is one of them.

2 Likes

Re: The Step By Step Guide To Being The ‘Perfect’ Daughter-In-Law by bukatyne(f): 5:01pm On Oct 27, 2016
Acidosis:

una well-done oo

crackhaus:

And how exactly does the humour and sarcasm therein remove from the idea that there is a real problem between DILs and their MILs? grin

The relationship between a MIL and DIL is different from a mother & her daughter.

E.g., when my mom comes around, I am less stressed as she helps with cooking and cleaning. Sometimes, she will ensure she eats dinner before coming over so I don't bother about hosting her etc. She is also not bothered if my husband is cleaning etc.

Now if my SIL comes around, I would have to attend to her no matter how late I/She gets home and I certainly do not expect her to help around the house (although I must say, I would say no if she offers).

My SIL is not a good example because she has honestly been a very good SIL to me and doesn't seem mind if hubby cleans. I also tried to my little capacity to treat her like my elder sis and I recall helping her style her hair, polish her nails, send little things to her kids & hubby etc. She has even spent the weekend with her daughter which we all enjoyed and I wish her kids can come around for Christmas.

Now, I have another SIL who was ready for 'trouble' as per MIL things (she's the first child & MIL is no more) and who I was ready to treat as MIL as she is little younger than my mom. She accused me (in my absence) of lying about my age and pretending (cos the age I gave her was 'small' and I was too soft spoken) till my dad confirmed it (unconsciously) during the intro.

After studying the situation (and hubby knowing his sister extremely well), I knew that we couldn't mingle and don't associate with her. I know very well that to her, I am the poster bad DIL/SIL but again, who cares? I am sometimes tempted to reach out to her but when hubby says 'you are absolutely on your own when wahala happens' (which will and I honestly can't stand shit for long), I 'receive sense' and stay my side.

Men know their relatives they can't stand yet amazingly, they expect their wives to relate with them effortlessly.

Wives, if your husband tells you 'this my sister/brother/mom/dad' is a no go area, stay on your own. You can't love/know your husband's family more than he does.

5 Likes

Re: The Step By Step Guide To Being The ‘Perfect’ Daughter-In-Law by Burger01(m): 5:43pm On Oct 27, 2016
Ishilove:

Yeah right
Yimu smiley
Re: The Step By Step Guide To Being The ‘Perfect’ Daughter-In-Law by crackhaus: 5:54pm On Oct 27, 2016
Creamish:

Are U always serious? I'm one to search for a laugh in a situation that could cause depression. It helps with the BP. This here is one of them.
Lol, I'm like the last person to be considered 'always serious' around these parts. grin

That said, let's not pretend that the humour/sarcasm didn't come from a real place of many strained relationships existing between DILs and MILs.
Re: The Step By Step Guide To Being The ‘Perfect’ Daughter-In-Law by crackhaus: 6:02pm On Oct 27, 2016
bukatyne:

The relationship between a MIL and DIL is different from a mother & her daughter.

E.g., when my mom comes around, I am less stressed as she helps with cooking and cleaning. Sometimes, she will ensure she eats dinner before coming over so I don't bother about hosting her etc. She is also not bothered if my husband is cleaning etc.

Now if my SIL comes around, I would have to attend to her no matter how late I/She gets home and I certainly do not expect her to help around the house (although I must say, I would say no if she offers).

My SIL is not a good example because she has honestly been a very good SIL to me and doesn't seem mind if hubby cleans. I also tried to my little capacity to treat her like my elder sis and I recall helping her style her hair, polish her nails, send little things to her kids & hubby etc. She has even spent the weekend with her daughter which we all enjoyed and I wish her kids can come around for Christmas.

Now, I have another SIL who was ready for 'trouble' as per MIL things (she's the first child & MIL is no more) and who I was ready to treat as MIL as she is little younger than my mom. She accused me (in my absence) of lying about my age and pretending (cos the age I gave her was 'small' and I was too soft spoken) till my dad confirmed it (unconsciously) during the intro.

After studying the situation (and hubby knowing his sister extremely well), I knew that we couldn't mingle and don't associate with her. I know very well that to her, I am the poster bad DIL/SIL but again, who cares? I am sometimes tempted to reach out to her but when hubby says 'you are absolutely on your own when wahala happens' (which will and I honestly can't stand shit for long), I 'receive sense' and stay my side.

Men know their relatives they can't stand yet amazingly, they expect their wives to relate with them effortlessly.

Wives, if your husband tells you 'this my sister/brother/mom/dad' is a no go area, stay on your own. You can't love/know your husband's family more than he does.
Cool stuff.

But I'm lost as to why you posting it to me.
I'm not expecting girls to be besties with their MILs cheesy

It all boils down to women issues at the end of the day.
Like in your story: you're a woman, your SIL is a woman, and if it were to be your MIL, she's still a woman. Why can't y'all just get along? grin

1 Like

Re: The Step By Step Guide To Being The ‘Perfect’ Daughter-In-Law by sisisioge: 6:06pm On Oct 27, 2016
bukatyne:

grin grin that's a new one... being accused of football age grin
Re: The Step By Step Guide To Being The ‘Perfect’ Daughter-In-Law by eitsei(m): 6:10pm On Oct 27, 2016
raumdeuter:
In several years to come, the same wives complaining about their mother in laws will become witches to their own daughter in laws
I think most of them forget they are also going to be MILs someday
Re: The Step By Step Guide To Being The ‘Perfect’ Daughter-In-Law by Creamish(f): 7:27pm On Oct 27, 2016
crackhaus:

Lol, I'm like the last person to be considered 'always serious' around these parts. grin

That said, let's not pretend that the humour/sarcasm didn't come from a real place of many strained relationships existing between DILs and MILs.

We are saying the same thing in different tongues..
Re: The Step By Step Guide To Being The ‘Perfect’ Daughter-In-Law by misspicy(f): 7:56pm On Oct 27, 2016
raumdeuter:
In several years to come, the same wives complaining about their mother in laws will become witches to their own daughter in laws
Gbam! Gbammer! Gbammest!

And no woman has been able to explain this gringrin
An uncle of mine was discussing how his own mother suffered in the hands of his grandmother when they were young,it almost drove her out of her matrimonial home,he made me realize that his own mother was the architect of his own divorce because she never found anything good in his wife. Then after the whole divorce, and he came to his senses,he sat his mother down and challenged her by reminding her on what she herself went through,asking her why she couldn't save his marriage instead fueled his wife's exit.... She started crying and calling him ungrateful blah blah blah.

Women are their own enemies
Re: The Step By Step Guide To Being The ‘Perfect’ Daughter-In-Law by Mimzyy(f): 10:40pm On Oct 27, 2016
Spot on

bukatyne:

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Biography Of Late Madam Alice Folake Tanimola (mama Idowu) 1939–2022 / A Gals Confession On Facebook Dat Blew Everyone Away. / The Question Of Age Difference In Marriage.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.