Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? (19772 Views)

My Sister-In-Law Staying With Us Atimes Knows When We Are Making Love.Pls Advise / Wife Sent Packing For Questioning Husband Over Her Mother-in-law's Visit / Man Impregnates His Mother-In-Law In Nasarawa (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Tolubory(m): 6:27am On Oct 31, 2016
NickUwaifo:
Please I really need professional advice on this matter. My sisters husband borrowed N1m from my dad for a so called business that has failed. First of all we didn't know he had already made my sister borrow 500k from her office union stuff because he told her not to tell us and he will pay.

I think when matters got bad for him in the business he decided to meet my dad and borrowed another N1m from him begging him not to tell his wife (my sister about it).

It is over a year now and he has refused to return the money to my dad who is an old man on pension and when he had no choice but to tell my sister, she became really upset because she is also in dept because of him. He kept saying that he has a trailer he imported and was looking for a buyer so that he can pay back the money but my sister has now confirmed that he doesn't have anything like that.

Please help with your advice on how my dad can recover his money back.
My best opinion is don't lend out what you can't leave ,
my point is your dad should leave the money and forget it totally ....
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Appili(m): 6:34am On Oct 31, 2016
Forget about the money, any negative action will distory your sister's marriage. Mark me the future will have you to blame
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by falopey: 6:38am On Oct 31, 2016
NickUwaifo:
Please I really need professional advice on this matter. My sisters husband borrowed N1m from my dad for a so called business that has failed. First of all we didn't know he had already made my sister borrow 500k from her office union stuff because he told her not to tell us and he will pay.

I think when matters got bad for him in the business he decided to meet my dad and borrowed another N1m from him begging him not to tell his wife (my sister about it).

It is over a year now and he has refused to return the money to my dad who is an old man on pension and when he had no choice but to tell my sister, she became really upset because she is also in dept because of him. He kept saying that he has a trailer he imported and was looking for a buyer so that he can pay back the money but my sister has now confirmed that he doesn't have anything like that.

That one na money miss road. Loan gone bad. It's a bad debt my friend!
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by bladeAnders(m): 6:46am On Oct 31, 2016
forget DAT thing....the guy day use una head...big 419
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Dejijossy(m): 6:47am On Oct 31, 2016
Your sister will be the one to work it out. She needs to pressurise her hubby to pay her father's money. Meanwhile, your dad is very wrong to have given her son in law such amount without consulting his daughter first.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by 2sexynet: 6:51am On Oct 31, 2016
Winneygirl:
I suspect that the husband is not working. As in, he doesn't have a steady stream of income. Does he?
not working isn't the problem here. Business is job, a work, a well demanding one that what most people think or what you would term "regular job". Most business owners are work more than a regular job owner.

The problem with the husband is that he failed because

1. someone is doing it and making money.

2. It "looks" profitable

3. He has no passion for the business but money.

4. He invested huge chunk of the money without prior knowledge.

5. He didn't do much feasibility studies

6. His approach is very faulty.
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Nobody: 6:51am On Oct 31, 2016
Show them these

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by tiswell(m): 7:09am On Oct 31, 2016
sisisioge:
grin grin grin

Well, see this as the eye opener for future occurrences... This particular debt is a bad debt. Don't expect to get it back.

Whew! What an in-law!
sad
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by HabaSeun: 7:19am On Oct 31, 2016
Tell him to go an borrow another 1 million and invest it in mmm within 6 months he will pay everybody back with 100k in his pocket. grin

Your dad messed up big time. If I were him d moment he said I should not tell my daughter, I wont give him the money. That means he hides stuff from his wife and might even be cheating on her.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Barigaboy(m): 7:23am On Oct 31, 2016
zheroes:
what if he fell into the hands of scammers or its a genuinely failed business, whether they prostrate from now till december 25th the money will not come out, before expecting a commitment from anyone you need to know what their income is like, from what I see that guy doesn't really have a business but felt he could take a risk with their money, it went bad and its gone, the best they can do is there will be no second chance. They don't need any drama!!!!
have also thought about thesame thing. If there is something they need to do that's d advice but if d man is exactly what we think then that wouldn't yet any positive solution.
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Ifebazz(m): 7:25am On Oct 31, 2016
Out-law the in-law.
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Coldfeets: 7:25am On Oct 31, 2016
OlajumokeBread:

In your dreams

Where do you expect him to get that money from ?? Rob a bank and get a whopping a 1 million naira ??

Wake up from your dreams, you're not getting that money back
This is not money borrowed to a bachelor, this is money borrowed to a family man who have a huge responsibilities on his shoulders

When my relatives comes to me with that "Can you borrow me 100k" i just give it to them without expecting them to pay me back

There's a difference between being owned by an outsider than being owned by your relatives, you can't punch your relatives in the throat for owing you but you can strangle an outsider for owing you

Say bye bye to your money

Wisdom speaks.

Respect.
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by godunia(m): 7:29am On Oct 31, 2016
Morale:dont loan money to someone you can't lock up in the cell if he defaults.
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by uncleade(m): 7:31am On Oct 31, 2016
The fault comes from the father in-law,how could such a thing happened between you and your son-inlaw without the knowledge of your daughter ? I suspect the Guy promised to pay back the money with intrest.and if that being the case,the oldman has reapt what he has sown.
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by searchng4love: 7:43am On Oct 31, 2016
break the marriage already...there is no marriage where one person operates a racket at the expense of the other

makelove2m:
The issue here is tricky, if not handled carefully, marriage will be in danger................. so call the man in question, have one on one chat to ascertain the true position, if it holds truth that he may have bought something that he is yet to dispose, then, help him sale that, if not seek further to know if there are other things in his disposal that can be sold to get that money back, ............trade with caution to ensure you don't put your sister marriage in a bind....................... dialogue is better.............. Make it sign document that he borrow money from your father first......if you lack trust with him
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by deltateam: 7:50am On Oct 31, 2016
makelove2m:
The issue here is tricky, if not handled carefully, marriage will be in danger................. so call the man in question, have one on one chat to ascertain the true position, if it holds truth that he may have bought something that he is yet to dispose, then, help him sale that, if not seek further to know if there are other things in his disposal that can be sold to get that money back, ............trade with caution to ensure you don't put your sister marriage in a bind....................... dialogue is better.............. Make it sign document that he borrow money from your father first......if you lack trust with him

You must be a learner. No document was signed before the said money was borrowed and after it had been squandered you now deem it wise to have a document signed?
Now I really need to get high on your stuff.
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by mayorall(m): 7:54am On Oct 31, 2016
NickUwaifo:

He has about 2m currently, just tell him to pay immediately. Not with force cos of sis marriage, tell him to pay half and he will be pleased to do so.
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by delishpot: 7:56am On Oct 31, 2016
Barigaboy:

Family transactions usually fail. U guys can get d money back if u can write a script and act it. The script will be writing and acted by u, your father, sister n any other person that knows about the money. Just tell him u guys borrowed the money from bank n u use your house as a collateral n the bank r already calling and treating u about collecting d land house or land if its to take u to postrate for him n u guys would also act as if u r angry with your sister. In such a way that u will let her no at last that if they can't get d money they would both be arrested. So simple

Guy, the man Don chop the money. He has played his wife's family and chopped it. Even if them borrow that money from Hitler himself, they would just have to endure turture and pray he let's them go to slave camp in one piece. That man no get shishi. Unless the wife can smell ground and find out what or where he used the money. If he built a secret home then they can sieze it but I suspect that man has used the money to marry another WIFE. Op make sure you give me feedback on that suspicion Make una smell ground well.
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by AfroBlue(m): 8:00am On Oct 31, 2016
bad investment in most circumstances. don't ask me how i know dis. cry
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by deltateam: 8:01am On Oct 31, 2016
2sexynet:
not working isn't the problem here. Business is job, a work, a well demanding one that what most people think or what you would term "regular job". Most business owners are work more than a regular job owner.

The problem with the husband is that he failed because

1. someone is doing it and making money.

2. It "looks" profitable

3. He has no passion for the business but money.

4. He invested huge chunk of the money without prior knowledge.

5. He didn't do much feasibility studies

6. His approach is very faulty.

There's no evidence to show that he even invested in a business whether genuine or not. 500k unaccounted for. 1 milla yet unaccounted for. That man is dishonest that's my take finally.
Op how did your sister get yoked into such a union with her eyes (Sorry love is blind)
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by danjaba(m): 8:04am On Oct 31, 2016
Haba! Very simple, make he just invite am go one corner panel beat am for that place. Promise him more beating if he refuses to pay.
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by delishpot: 8:06am On Oct 31, 2016
RadicallyBlunt:
You're in best position to take action. Your sister's hands are tied Bcus she will be seen as rude by her hubby and his family if she acts. So call for a meeting with a reasonable member(s) of ur in laws family. Report d case to them and tell ur sister to keep shut about d matter. Even if her hubby accuses her of telling his family, let her not utter a word. Her silence would mean disapproval of his actions.

There's almost no way you won't have enemity in this case Bcus in laws hardly understand the truth. But d reasonable ones shd make him be ashamed of borrowing from a pensioner. After his family is aware, ur sister shd prepare for some frictions from him in d home (aggression transfer). During ur negotiation u'll give them a time range and threaten to involve d police, theyll beg for some more time and u shd give them so that by the time u take action it won't look as if u didn't even consider them as a family.

Or better still. Involve a man in ur family like a snr brother if u have Bcus they may disregard u a woman facing them on a matter like this. Before u take action, hear from ur dad and ensure he's aware of what u are about to do. Else he may say who asked you to fight for me... Did I complain to you? You know elderly fathers the way they are

So God help you. Good luck!

All this over debt? Over man is head of family? Over submission as wife? Over what will people say? Hahaha. She should just strong face and endure his aggression transfer? Ontop her papa money? She should just be cool like a lamb when he lashes out? I am not saying she should fight with him O, but there is no reason she should sit in their home and receive abuse from him and take it all in like she is a vegetable. She should be free to voice her opinion and let him know he messed up. If he hits her for it, she should dump his arse. Let people say whatever, they must have been talking now anyway. "My husband" no dey for grave O she should enjoy peace on this earth now that she is alive.
Even when they put fire for his nyansh, what if he kills their daughter and her kids and escape because he could not re-pay the debt, shebi they will start looking to borrow money to burry them? The money he borrowed when CHANGE had not affected naija this much, is what they should expect him to return now that naija has K-legs encased in P.O.P and dragging itself on the ground?
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by BIGGMAMA: 8:10am On Oct 31, 2016
EfemenaXY:
Oh, wow!

Words fail me. @ op, I think getting the money back depends on the man's personality.

If he's a decent person with a conscience and a self respecting man who's genuinely hit hard times, he will pay off his debts albeit slowly.

Your retired dad must have (in his wisdom) seen something in your brother in law in the first place to loan him so much despite the recession.

What I don't like though is the secrecy. That sounds off alarm bells that he may be dodgy.

Cc: Ifyalways, Onegai, Sambarry.

Cococandy
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by cococandy(f): 8:16am On Oct 31, 2016
BIGGMAMA:

Cococandy
Hi
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by HornyTiwa(f): 8:18am On Oct 31, 2016
magicminister:
The moment you start messing with my money and my trust, that is when you stop being my friend, in-law or whatever.
Its obvious that he lied to your sister and your dad.
He did not use that money for any business. You guys were scammed!
Point Blank!
Call a meeting with his family and if he fails to provide the money, please involve the police!
Your sister might end up losing her job, your dad has already lost a good junk of his pension!!
There is no two ways about it; this guy will be a disgrace and a liability to your family.

This is what happens when women are too desperate to settle down and end up settling with idiots!
After typing something reasonable,you still found a way to blame the woman grin

Women are always to be blamed for everything and any thing, it didn't occur to you that this might not be the case or even if this was the case,the same people like you will be giving the woman hell for not marrying a man interested in her. Chai.

Nigerian men I hail thee!!!
Always looking for ways to blame women, when will you guys ever take responsibility for your actions?

8 Likes

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by BIGGMAMA: 8:19am On Oct 31, 2016
cococandy:
Hi

I would love to read your input Nne because you are very intelligent.

2 Likes

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by cococandy(f): 8:21am On Oct 31, 2016
BIGGMAMA:

I would love to read your input Nne because you are very intelligent.

Aww thanks. smiley

I have nothing to say actually. Short of making him work off the money in some way, I don't see how else he can recover it without things getting ugly. I've seen such bad debt before and I know only iron fist make serial debtors pay back. That could ruin their relationship.

2 Likes

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by BIGGMAMA: 8:25am On Oct 31, 2016
cococandy:

Aww thanks. smiley

I have nothing to say actually. Short of making him work off the money in some way, I don't see how else he can recover it without things getting ugly. I've seen such bad debt before and I know only iron fist make serial debtors pay back. That could ruin their relationship.

True..
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by mavinc4u(f): 8:27am On Oct 31, 2016
Raina80:
If he has borrowed money from your family its likely he also owes money to other people.
1) Your sister is also the problem she knew but chose not to discourage him from asking for money from your father the moment dishonesty exists amongst families exists it affects how we interact with each other. When you say he is refusing to pay is it a case of can't pay or won't pay?
2) Youd father has to talk to him face to face if not seek mediation from his family. Your sibling is indebt because of him and what happens if she lost her job?

Oga the sister didn't know that he borrowed money from his father because he told the father not to tell his wife.
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by olarent: 8:32am On Oct 31, 2016
In d first place u daddy made a grave mistake,any money u can not forgone u dont give it out.moreova to his inlaw dat he cant challenge because of d tie between dem.best advice is to take it easy and see d loan as bad debt blive.
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by nairaman66(m): 8:37am On Oct 31, 2016
NickUwaifo:

I didn't see this post until now. I gave over 5M to my sisters husband since March 16th this year, so far I have not gotten 50 kobo! Don't bother about it, just pray.

Also borrowed another dude 4.2M, that one Na another story. If you try to do something about it, they will label you the black sheep of the family. So far, I have learnt my lessons and lending money to someone in your family is bad business! Very very bad business.

Tell your dad to forget about the money and label it as bad debt! The economics in the house will explain better what that means!

As we speak, I am broke! But I have learnt my lesson, strangely I learnt the hard way. I had that chunk of funds to do business and I borrowed it out using my heart instead of my head! NEVER EVER LON YOUR MONEY TO A FAMILY!! You can help them in whatever capacity, but don't LOAN!!!! Don't. Never.. Ever... !!!!!!
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Barigaboy(m): 9:19am On Oct 31, 2016
delishpot:

Guy, the man Don chop the money. He has played his wife's family and chopped it. Even if them borrow that money from Hitler himself, they would just have to endure turture and pray he let's them go to slave camp in one piece. That man no get shishi. Unless the wife can smell ground and find out what or where he used the money. If he built a secret home then they can sieze it but I suspect that man has used the money to marry another WIFE. Op make sure you give me feedback on that suspicion Make una smell ground well.
My brother that guy is a scam for real. From my observation most guys ladies trip for because of there good and over handsome look use to scam them at d end. D marriage is nothing to them they usually have a lot of hidden secrete like having other grown up children, properties else where n always scamming buoyant n loving lady including their family.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Should She Travel To Italy? / Does Infidelity Make One A Bad Spouse? / Christmas Gift For My Daughters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.