Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,892 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:38 PM

How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? (19768 Views)

My Sister-In-Law Staying With Us Atimes Knows When We Are Making Love.Pls Advise / Wife Sent Packing For Questioning Husband Over Her Mother-in-law's Visit / Man Impregnates His Mother-In-Law In Nasarawa (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by magicminister: 9:27am On Oct 31, 2016
HornyTiwa:

After typing something reasonable,you still found a way to blame the woman grin

Women are always to be blamed for everything and any thing, it didn't occur to you that this might not be the case or even if this was the case,the same people like you will be giving the woman hell for not marrying a man interested in her. Chai.

Nigerian men I hail thee!!!
Always looking for ways to blame women, when will you guys ever take responsibility for your actions?

I am of the opinion that a woman does not need a useless man to complete herself.
For the victim wasn't desperate or blinded by love, she would have done her due diligence during courtship and seen that the guy was a fraud.

If you track my posts, I always support the empowerment of women and deriding women isn't something I do!
In this situation, we all know things would have been different if she just did her due diligence.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by joooks: 9:30am On Oct 31, 2016
NickUwaifo:
Please I really need professional advice on this matter. My sisters husband borrowed N1m from my dad for a so called business that has failed. First of all we didn't know he had already made my sister borrow 500k from her office union stuff because he told her not to tell us and he will pay.

I think when matters got bad for him in the business he decided to meet my dad and borrowed another N1m from him begging him not to tell his wife (my sister about it).

It is over a year now and he has refused to return the money to my dad who is an old man on pension and when he had no choice but to tell my sister, she became really upset because she is also in dept because of him. He kept saying that he has a trailer he imported and was looking for a buyer so that he can pay back the money but my sister has now confirmed that he doesn't have anything like that.

Please help with your advice on how my dad can recover his money back.

Lending to relatives is risky business o.
You may just have to remove your mind from that money for now. undecided
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Nobody: 10:19am On Oct 31, 2016
@ OP give ur BIL time, at most 45 days. He might have invested it in MMM and it takes 45 days for money to mature in MMM... other wise, throw caution out the window and sue him to court which will mandate him to pay albeit slowly. Better to pay than hide behind bond and not pay @ all. my 2cent

1 Like

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Annalise(f): 10:36am On Oct 31, 2016
What is he using this money for? Is your sister working? Why would she go and marry a man with no job? That's a lot of money and that's my concern. Is someone trying to blackmail him? Does he have an addiction problem? Does he have a secret family outside?
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Syogbe(m): 10:43am On Oct 31, 2016
Your dad should call on your sister to know the kind of in law you have and his attitude towards money. Your dad should not have given the money without the consent of your sister, that is an error because it is your sister that links the family to the man. Let your sister advise your dad on the way forward. His family will know about it and everything should be documented for posterity.
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by snipesdam(m): 10:51am On Oct 31, 2016
NickUwaifo:
Please I really need professional advice on this matter. My sisters husband borrowed N1m from my dad for a so called business that has failed. First of all we didn't know he had already made my sister borrow 500k from her office union stuff because he told her not to tell us and he will pay.

I think when matters got bad for him in the business he decided to meet my dad and borrowed another N1m from him begging him not to tell his wife (my sister about it).

It is over a year now and he has refused to return the money to my dad who is an old man on pension and when he had no choice but to tell my sister, she became really upset because she is also in dept because of him. He kept saying that he has a trailer he imported and was looking for a buyer so that he can pay back the money but my sister has now confirmed that he doesn't have anything like that.

This is strong ooo... Pray and ask God for wisdom to tackle this issue.
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by ifyalways(f): 10:57am On Oct 31, 2016
EfemenaXY:
Oh, wow!

Words fail me. @ op, I think getting the money back depends on the man's personality.

If he's a decent person with a conscience and a self respecting man who's genuinely hit hard times, he will pay off his debts albeit slowly.

Your retired dad must have (in his wisdom) seen something in your brother in law in the first place to loan him so much despite the recession.

What I don't like though is the secrecy. That sounds off alarm bells that he may be dodgy.

Cc: Ifyalways, Onegai, Sambarry.
Nne that money is as good as gone. I have long learnt to never lend family and friends money. The outcome is always bad plus you'd lose both money and the friendship.

I have no words of advisory for the OP.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Nobody: 11:04am On Oct 31, 2016
delishpot:

All this over debt? Over man is head of family? Over submission as wife? Over what will people say? Hahaha. She should just strong face and endure his aggression transfer? Ontop her papa money? She should just be cool like a lamb when he lashes out? I am not saying she should fight with him O, but there is no reason she should sit in their home and receive abuse from him and take it all in like she is a vegetable. She should be free to voice her opinion and let him know he messed up. If he hits her for it, she should dump his arse. Let people say whatever, they must have been talking now anyway. "My husband" no dey for grave O she should enjoy peace on this earth now that she is alive.
Even when they put fire for his nyansh, what if he kills their daughter and her kids and escape because he could not re-pay the debt, shebi they will start looking to borrow money to burry them? The money he borrowed when CHANGE had not affected naija this much, is what they should expect him to return now that naija has K-legs encased in P.O.P and dragging itself on the ground?
This is home-breaking. Dump the arse of the father of her children and have peace? Its easier said than done o. Her mind will never be free. But if she let justice take its course, she won't lose her marriage and even if she does, it will be for the right stand and right approach and her mind will forever be free. And not a matter of revenge
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Plus234(m): 11:09am On Oct 31, 2016
OlajumokeBread:

Give to who ?? To yourself ??
To take ?? Taken by who ?? Taken by you

Give to the borrower
To take from the Lender
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by eyinjuege: 11:14am On Oct 31, 2016
Appili:
Forget about the money, any negative action will distory your sister's marriage. Mark me the future will have you to blame

The future will have the debtor to blame, and not the OP or her family members.
We all should learn to show integrity in our dealings with others.
You cannot blame her family if they take a legal action to retrieve the money owed her pensioner father. He was probably a civil servant who just collected his gratuity, and his son in law capitalised on that. Baba is old, and cannot hustle to make money again. Its wickedness to expect him to let the money go.
For the sake of the family ties, he may still hold his peace till whenever the son in law pays up.
If he however decides not to hold his peace and insists on collecting his money at all costs, NOBODY should blame him.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Raina80(f): 11:48am On Oct 31, 2016
mavinc4u:

Oga the sister didn't know that he borrowed money from his father because he told the father not to tell his wife.
Then the family also played a part in their own misfortune. If you are being asked to keep secrets by an in law from your kin then question that in laws interests.
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by lonelydora: 12:08pm On Oct 31, 2016
I hope he's not into MMM? Borrowing from In-laws burns reputation.
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by mavinc4u(f): 12:41pm On Oct 31, 2016
Raina80:

Then the family also played a part in their own misfortune. If you are being asked to keep secrets by an in law from your kin then question that in laws interests.

As for me I blame both the father and the sister. How can you use my name to borrow money or borrowed money from me and you asked me not to tell my people, definitely something is fishy. By the time they will arrest the wife and put her in the prison for the husband's debt, her so called husband would be somewhere eating salad.

Anyway that is a lesson to other women, if your husband needs money he should borrow with his name not yours so he would use it wisely if not he will waste the money and the blame and punishment will be on the woman.
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by delishpot: 12:56pm On Oct 31, 2016
RadicallyBlunt:

This is home-breaking. Dump the arse of the father of her children and have peace? Its easier said than done o. Her mind will never be free. But if she let justice take its course, she won't lose her marriage and even if she does, it will be for the right stand and right approach and her mind will forever be free. And not a matter of revenge

OK O. What he did is not home breaking, him by hitting her is not home breaking but her deciding to leave a fraudulent wife beater is home breaking? Ngwanu....make dem kwontinue.
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by carolope(f): 1:09pm On Oct 31, 2016
NickUwaifo:

Blomblo burst penny go...
another day, come and buy!
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Oct 31, 2016
jephthar:
serious prayer and fasting
ayam not understanding?
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by noble71(m): 3:25pm On Oct 31, 2016
sorry OP but ur dad just refunded him his brided price. so therefore the marriage is free. nothing can be done about that.
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Maspeky(m): 3:50pm On Oct 31, 2016
Maybe this your in-law is into Gambling or something that isn't beneficial. Do well to find out.
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by makelove2m(m): 11:40am On Nov 02, 2016
deltateam:

You must be a learner. No document was signed before the said money was borrowed and after it had been squandered you now deem it wise to have a document signed?
Now I really need to get high on your stuff.

Please read and click the right button b4 you comment naaaaah, na me talk-am? , i no post anything, no comment i do
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by zheroes(m): 6:08am On Nov 03, 2016
nairaman66:

I didn't see this post until now. I gave over 5M to my sisters husband since March 16th this year, so far I have not gotten 50 kobo! Don't bother about it, just pray.

Also borrowed another dude 4.2M, that one Na another story. If you try to do something about it, they will label you the black sheep of the family. So far, I have learnt my lessons and lending money to someone in your family is bad business! Very very bad business.

Tell your dad to forget about the money and label it as bad debt! The economics in the house will explain better what that means!

As we speak, I am broke! But I have learnt my lesson, strangely I learnt the hard way. I had that chunk of funds to do business and I borrowed it out using my heart instead of my head! NEVER EVER LON YOUR MONEY TO A FAMILY!! You can help them in whatever capacity, but don't LOAN!!!! Don't. Never.. Ever... !!!!!!
well done bro. This is the spirit we should cultivate!! Am really sorry for your loss and I respect your ability to take it in good fate rather than shedding blood. May the almighty replenish you over a million fold. I rule is simple: never fight over money, a life could be lost in the process, then it becomes another story.
Re: How Can One Recover Borrowed Money From An In-Law? by Acme77: 5:30pm On Nov 04, 2016
moshino:

LEND

You LEND money/something TO someone.

You Borrow money/something FROM someone.

Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Any Disadvantage in Marrying From Another Tribe? / Can I Survive In Akwa Ibom With 1M Account Balance At 22? / Does Infidelity Make One A Bad Spouse?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.