Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,188 members, 7,822,009 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release (8903 Views)

Ekiti State Workers Suspend Strike, Sign Agreement With Govt(Pics) / TUC,Factional NLC Suspend Strike While Main NLC Continue Strike / Electricity Workers Suspend Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by solaugo1: 10:01pm On Nov 02, 2016
Ogun Workers Signs MOU with State Government; Suspend Strike - See Photos

The leadership of the organised labour in Ogun State, on Wednesday, suspended the ongoing strike action.
Labour leadership announced the suspension of the strike action after hours of meeting held in the Governor's Office, Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta.

The meeting, which had in attendance Comrade Ayuba Wabba, the President of the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC and Comrade Bobboi Kaigama of the Trade Union Congress, witnessed the signing of a communique announcing the suspension of the strike.

The communique, jointly signed by labour and government representatives indicated that the State government would continue with its scheduled payment of cooperative deduction after every 90 days by paying another one month at the end of November 2016.

In addition to that, it was agreed that government would immediately off set one year arrears of check off dues while outstanding gratuities will be offset with N200 million, every other month, effective from November 2016.

The meeting equally agreed that a joint committee of labour and government should be set up to look into issues of the Contributory Pension Scheme and submit report in 90 days.

It was also agreed that the 2015 promotion result should be released immediately while Labour and government should meet quarterly as a way
of improving Industrial harmony.

[img][/img]

Speaking after the signing of the communique, Ogun State Governor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun, eulogised civil servants in Ogun State describing them as "the best in the country."

"I have always said it that we have one of the best civil service in the country and it cannot be otherwise because we are Ogun State, the place of people like the late Simeon Adebo," the governor said.

He however added that those who want to mix politics with unionism have no place in the Ogun State Civil Service.

Signed
Adejuwon Soyinka,
Senior Special Assistant (Media)
Ogun State Governor.

http://newsnownigeria.com.ng/ogun-workers-signs-mou-state-government-suspend-strike-see-photos/

1 Like

Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by Melancholy(m): 1:13am On Nov 03, 2016
Smh... It's now time for praises on the civil servant as the best in the country after his sentimental statement insulting their senses of embarking on that strike . Our govt should stop being escapist in matters that concerns civil servants cos they are more powerful than any govt. And why would any govt owe workers? Its quite untenable cos last i checked, money that this democratic system as exploited from us is too much! the illegal monies the system legalized as monthly security votes for these governors, and the unconstitutional position of first lady office set up at 2billion is enough to settle some debts. Notwithstanding, this new agreement look like it. Ise ya omo ogun oo.

5 Likes

Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by Donshegxy10(m): 2:32am On Nov 03, 2016
good news. . . hope he will fulfill those promises made.
Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by prettytoys: 2:51am On Nov 03, 2016
Good to return back to work....omo ogun, ise ya!
Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by agabusta: 4:02am On Nov 03, 2016
Unserious peeps. The man has been trying his best and paying salaries.

Everybody knows that states are having financial issues and they are to show more understanding.

Imagine, so many states have been unable to pay pension for many years, and these workers are trying to blackmail the state govt to abandon the contributory pension scheme, which was a novel idea to reduce the weight of pensions on govt finances. They are not serious at all. Do they think it's only Ogun state workers that has been switched to the contributory pension scheme? Even Federal University workers are on same now and ASUU has accepted it's fate on that.

Their other demands about cooperative deductions, the govt should do quick and give them their money. I wonder why it is the govt that is helping them manage their cooperative money in the first instance.

Is it not supposed to be independently managed by the NLC themselves??

Why involve govt? Anyways, Amosun should pay them their money.

It's good the state govt has also agreed to start. Paying retiring workers' gratuities in phases. So many states in Nigeria has not paid gratuities for years, some running to 10 yrs. The FG is also guilty of owning gratuities.

It's not an Ogun state thing, I guess that was the reason Amosun was frustrated and blew his temper in an unbecoming manner of a leader.

Amosun is trying, and i'm happy the workers have come to reason with the state govt. Everything is not by confrontation. Infact, a govt paying salaries regularly should first be commended before other demands are tabled.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by OAUTemitayo: 4:11am On Nov 03, 2016
agabusta:

Now, you are asking for allowances and others, when some other states has not even paid salaries. Ok oh, continue.
You are obviously in the dark

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by modath(f): 4:18am On Nov 03, 2016
agabusta:

Now, you are asking for allowances and others, when some other states has not even paid salaries. Ok oh, continue.

SIA has always been in my good books & when the bad press kept coming, i wondered the devil that took over him... I was annoyed but i then i made enquiries & confirmed this assertion of yours, that it was mostly political, I sheathed my sword & refrained from making any comment either ways..

Nigeria is too hard to administer is my takeaway, no matter what any leader does, s/he can never ever please everyone, he should continue to put in his best, posterity will judge appropriately..

* Modified *

OAUTemitayo:

Another angle... Oya eeyan mi, enlighten us.. thx.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by OAUTemitayo: 4:44am On Nov 03, 2016
modath:

SIA has always been in my good books & when the bad press kept coming, i wondered the devil that took over him... I was annoyed but i then i made enquiries & confirmed this assertion of yours, that it was mostly political, I sheathed my sword & refrained from making any comment either ways..

Nigeria is too hard to administer is my takeaway, no matter what any leader does, s/he can never ever please everyone, he should continue to put in his best, posterity will judge appropriately..

* Modified *

My sister, Amosun unfortunately is not truthful with the issue of this salary payment.
This is what is actually happening.
Some civil servants are contributing part of their "legal income" to cooperative societies.
Instead of allowing civil servants to make the deductions themselves to the cooperative societies, the societies had an agreement with the government to deduct from the monthly salaries the loan amount owed them by civil servants.
The government in return remits the deducted money to the cooperative societies.
The essence of this mechanism is to prevent loan default by unscrupulous civil servants.
Now, Amosun has been deducting this dues without remitting it to the societies for the past one year, though with all honesty, this is due to the dwindling allocation of the state.
However, instead of admitting that you are not able to pay the dues as at when due, you are bragging about that you are not owning them any salary?
For God sake, if this people are not doing the cooperative deductions, won't he pay their salaries in full?
Though the NLC Chairman deserves the dismissal for collecting money from a politician to power the agitation of civil servants, Amosun is being dishonest.
I understand the situation he found himself but harassment is not the best route.
Some civil servants have paid up their dues but Amosun is not allowing them to stop the deductions.
This is too good.

9 Likes

Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by Nobody: 4:49am On Nov 03, 2016
We disagree to agree

Little compromise is needed to reach a consensus

Kudus to d governor & d labour leaders

It is a win win situation

3 Likes

Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by SamuelAnyawu(m): 5:30am On Nov 03, 2016
Confused Amosun grin grin grin grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by Articul8(m): 6:03am On Nov 03, 2016
OAUTemitayo:
He is really blank on information.
Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by KINGwax007(m): 6:56am On Nov 03, 2016
Person wey dey try im best I salary payments. I understand the deduction aspect but people shld know that it was a agreement between the chairmen of those societies and him. Since deductions were a standing order, only the chairmen could alter this.

Take it or leave it,the strike is political..

Oya, come eat me...

1 Like

Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:08am On Nov 03, 2016
Them don share money. These NLC guys are more corrupt than government

1 Like

Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by otukpo(f): 7:14am On Nov 03, 2016
Hope the governor has apologised for abusing them.
Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by Nobody: 7:21am On Nov 03, 2016
Modath, before you run to town singing Amosun's praises, do know that that man is a complete sly. OAUTemitayo has provided enough insight into the crux of the issue. Agabusta and KINGwax007, your views are quite superficial which must have stemmed from your inadequate understanding of the issues that led to the strike. You can read OAUTemitayo's submission for better understanding.

2 Likes

Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by modath(f): 7:44am On Nov 03, 2016
bejeiodus:
Modath, before you run to town singing Amosun's praises, do know that that man is a complete sly.

Before you run to town throwing stones at Mo, do you know the man is one of the best Ogun has ever had & in the committee of states, Olumo state ain't doing too bad? smiley

OAUTemitayo has provided enough insight into the crux of the issue. Agabusta and KINGwax007, your views are quite superficial which must have stemmed from your inadequate understanding of the issues that led to the strike. You can read OAUTemitayo's submission for better understanding.

If you read OAUTEMITAYO'S submission to the end, you'd also understand that he didn't condemn him to the gallows which is your covert intention.. wink

Me & you still good... When all this is over, Our land and identity still irrevocably intertwined.... Oodua a gbe wa. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by Nobody: 7:51am On Nov 03, 2016
modath:
Oodua a gbe wa. smiley
Ase ooooo.

1 Like

Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by Neimar: 9:13am On Nov 03, 2016
k
Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by Nobody: 9:13am On Nov 03, 2016
Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by teepsee(f): 9:13am On Nov 03, 2016
cool
Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by nigconnect(m): 9:13am On Nov 03, 2016
Okay..
Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by sakalisis(m): 9:16am On Nov 03, 2016
grin
Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by ayodeji247: 9:17am On Nov 03, 2016
case rested
Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by omofunaab(m): 9:21am On Nov 03, 2016
modath:

* Modified *

The amosun we all know has changed but thank God the strike has been suspended.

No matter the circumstances, amosun should be mindful of his public utterances.
Calling workers brainless and senseless is not good.
Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by Lanre4uonly(m): 9:26am On Nov 03, 2016
Good to hear that. Collective bargaining & ability to shift ground from both parties is the key to settle labour dispute. Kudos to the labour leaders & to the state government for reaching an agreement at the negotiation table.

God bless the Gateway State.
Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by Eagle360(m): 10:44am On Nov 03, 2016
tumax5104:
No work no pay policy really did wonders
says who? to say it is ineffective is an understatement? only few worker went to office this include Permanent Secretary, Directors and some senior officer. The other just went and sign attendance go to their various destination. this only occur in okemosan governor office. Hospital, schools in Ogun are shut down. the agreement during the meeting is that no civil servant should be victimized as a result of the strike and October salary will be paid in few days. The governor cannot hold civil servant for ransom they don't ask for too much, they are asking for their legal money. and you result such to violence, name calling. If to say we follow law in this country , he should be in jail by now, because he defaulted, defraud the civil servant. If to say is it one of the civil servant that fail to remit the cooperative deduction the government would have use several attempts to prosecute such person. No one should praise him yet until all this futile promises are fulfilled. Amosun can lie and Satan will shout Jesus Christ!! he is a dictator and he didn't listen to advise. (ti nu mi ni Mase is affecting him) .

On sacking of labour leaders and other suspended officer.
This is what really happened, on October 5 which happened to be world teachers day. Before the day NUT which is the body of teacher wrote letter of financial assistance to Mr. governor seeking for financial help he failed to give them a dime, so they channeled their help elsewhere to Senator Olamilekan Yayi (APC member) that represents Lagos West. He donate #5m for the success of the day. During the course of celebration at NUT hall in Kuto, Senator Yayi one of the invited guest enter and the musician that was invited to performed start praising Yayi, you know musician now, they praise everyone even their enemies so far money is involved.
what is now the fault of labour leaders?
Yayi is an APC member Amosun an APC member what is now the fuss?
He said civil servant should shun politics okay agreed but when he was begging and soliciting for their vote for second term he they didn't say so. what an irony.
He is gradually losing it....... abandoned roads constitutes nuisance is all over the state. instead of him complete it he embark on new project. that I know he can't finished. Amosun should be warned because he is losing it........ thanks

1 Like

Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by kbitss(f): 12:00pm On Nov 03, 2016
Yeah, u got it. Infact he refused them puling out of the cooperatives.

This deduction disenable some from getting further loans to pay their child's school fee, house rents and so on...

To owe workers salaries and entitlements is highly irresponsible of any parastatal, attimes i wonder if these governors don't pay there own salaries.[i][/i][center][/center][color=#990000][/color]

Where is the sense of extrapolation and forecasting.
Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by great83(m): 12:34pm On Nov 03, 2016
agabusta:

Everybody knows that states are having financial issues and they are to show more understanding.

Imagine, so many states have been unable to pay pension for many years, and these workers are trying to blackmail the state govt to abandon the contributory pension scheme, which was a novel idea to reduce the weight of pensions on govt finances. They are not serious at all. Do they think it's only Ogun state workers that has been switched to the contributory pension scheme? Even Federal University workers are on same now and ASUU has accepted it's fate on that.

Their other demands about cooperative deductions, the govt should do quick and give them their money. I wonder why it is the govt that is helping them manage their cooperative money in the first instance.

Is it not supposed to be independently managed by the NLC themselves??

Why involve govt? Anyways, Amosun should pay them their money.

It's good the state govt has also agreed to start. Paying retiring workers' gratuities in phases. So many states in Nigeria has not paid gratuities for years, some running to 10 yrs. The FG is also guilty of owning gratuities.

It's not an Ogun state thing, I guess that was the reason Amosun was frustrated and blew his temper in an unbecoming manner of a leader.

Amosun is trying, and i'm happy the workers have come to reason with the state govt. Everything is not by confrontation. Infact, a govt paying salaries regularly should first be commended before other demands are tabled.
you are high on weed, why talking rubbish on what you don't know anything about
Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by XYZo: 12:56pm On Nov 03, 2016
Lalase eleduaaaa kiss
bejeiodus:
Ase ooooo.
Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by agabusta: 12:57pm On Nov 03, 2016
great83:

you are high on weed, why talking rubbish on what you don't know anything about

Shut your trap. Where did u crawl out from? The workers has a list of demands which I dealt with one after the other.

The cooperative money is not the only issue as asserted by others.
Re: Ogun State Workers Suspend Strike - Press Release by Iamdipson(m): 1:38pm On Nov 03, 2016
agabusta:

Shut your trap. Where did u crawl out from? The workers has a list of demands which I dealt with one after the other.

The cooperative money is not the only issue as asserted by others.
You just called the civil servants unserious peeps for fighting for their right. Omo eran!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Epileptic Power Supply: Nigeria To Partner Egypt On Electricity Generation / 87 Million PVCs Collected Says INEC / Nine APC, PNP, PDP Lawmakers Defect To LP In Ogun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.