Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,465 members, 7,836,836 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:23 PM

Reasons Not To Become Friends With Your Ex - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Reasons Not To Become Friends With Your Ex (1337 Views)

4 Reasons Why You Can't Be "Just Friends" With Your Ex / 8 Reasons Not To Marry A Perfectionist - Opinion / Reasons Not To Trust All Photos You See On The Internet(Amazing Photograhy) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Not To Become Friends With Your Ex by oswaggiee(m): 2:16pm On Nov 03, 2016

I’m here to tell you a home truth: You do not have to be friends with your ex. Look, I get it, I really do: After a break up, it is so, so tempting to try to be friends with the person you were dating. You might feel this way for a lot of reasons. Regardless of whether you were the dump-er or the dump-ee, the idea of suddenly going from seeing someone all the time to not seeing him or her at all is simply unimaginable. Or maybe you were friends before you dated, so you feel like you should be able to go back to that. Or you think that, if you could just hang out once in a while, the break-up wouldn’t feel quite so

terrible. Or maybe your ex is going through a rough time, so you feel like you should be supportive. But, regardless of your motivation, sometimes being friends with an ex simply isn’t possible, and trying to force that relationship to happen can make the break up worse, creating more bitterness and anger and keeping you from truly moving on.

So here are 10 reasons not to be friends with your ex

1. Abusive
Of all the many reasons not to stay friends with an ex, Abusive has to come first, if your ex is either physically or emotionally abusive is good enough reason to stay away from sure person. Don’t hope that they would, even if they do, would you really want to take the risk?

2. Its torture
Your ex might not be the Abusive type but really if you guys stay as friends and hanging out, then s/he does something funny that made you smile, you suddenly want to kiss him/her, but cant. So tell me why put yourself through sure torture when you can just simply move on with your life.

3. Moving On
Moving on after a break up is somewhat difficult especially when youve invest alot in such relationship. So ordinarily the hope of you ex coming back makes you want to hold on to them in whatever form. However, moving on after a bad break up requires you not to be friends with your #ex so that you chase off potential dates. Truly severing contact is the kindest thing to do here.

4. Respect for your new partner
Nobody should dictate who you are friends with. If you're genuinely friends with your ex then it's fair enough to stay in contact, even if you have a new partner. But their feelings should always be respected. If a new partner is uncomfortable with you maintaining contact, it may be the best thing to stop.

5. You can’t undo the past.
There are some memories you must have obviously shared with your ex that would probably hurt you when you are with him/her, realizing that you might not get to share such memories again.
If you’ve seen each other naked, the desire to want to cosy up to your ex would arise especially of you the receiving partner.
There are too many nicknames, inside jokes and memories to start fresh, so you’re likely to fall into old dating patterns even when not romantically involved. It can be confusing for one or both of you. Note: Most platonic pals of opposite genders have not seen each other naked.

6. Friends with benefits
If two adults want this kind of arrangement, then that's up to them. However, it can be problematical with ex-partners. One may well agree to this situation in the hope that the other will realise they should be together, when the chances are that they're just looking for easy sex.

http://kleeqers.com/dating-love/articles/dating-love/reasons-not-to-become-friends-with-your-ex
Re: Reasons Not To Become Friends With Your Ex by ajokeade920: 2:35pm On Nov 03, 2016
Forget feelings or chemistry.Its not a bad thing to be friends with your Ex if u play ur card well as long as no string is attached.
Re: Reasons Not To Become Friends With Your Ex by Jostapo(m): 3:03pm On Nov 03, 2016
I totally disagree with that, we found ourselves in a world where we share numerous friendship to one another irrespective of what we went through. Keeping friendship with your ex denotes no harms. I'm extremely perturbed on some unnecessary write-up this writers made to lead away humans out of the rightful path. You can keep (no string attach) friendship to your ex without losing your present partner, depending on how individual figure the harmless situation. Some ex-partners are worthy of holding a qualified friendship with while the vice versa goes for others. Let's not prejudice that because it's a proclivity gift from God.

#B.O.L
Re: Reasons Not To Become Friends With Your Ex by akaahs(m): 3:23pm On Nov 03, 2016
To me depend on circumstances surrounding the break-up. If its mutually is understandable but if its end in a disrespectful, insulting nd disgraceful manner believe nothing 'll gona make me be friend with an ex.
Re: Reasons Not To Become Friends With Your Ex by Jostapo(m): 4:11pm On Nov 03, 2016
It all depend on the circumstances.
Re: Reasons Not To Become Friends With Your Ex by Nobody: 4:19pm On Nov 03, 2016
Duh...! undecided

Why would you wanna remain friends with your ex unless they are in another country or continent?

There's a reason they are your ex.
Re: Reasons Not To Become Friends With Your Ex by dollyjoy(f): 4:20pm On Nov 03, 2016
There is no point being friends with an EX. infact, be wary of ex that still want to hang around after a breakup, they want nothing but SEX, nothing good comes out of such stvpid friendship. angry

Once it's over, it's over!
Re: Reasons Not To Become Friends With Your Ex by dollyjoy(f): 4:26pm On Nov 03, 2016
Jostapo:
I totally disagree with that, we found ourselves in a world where we share numerous friendship to one another irrespective of what we went through. Keeping friendship with your ex denotes no harms. I'm extremely perturbed on some unnecessary write-up this writers made to lead away humans out of the rightful path. You can keep (no string attach) friendship to your ex without losing your present partner, depending on how individual figure the harmless situation. Some ex-partners are worthy of holding a qualified friendship with while the vice versa goes for others. Let's not prejudice that because it's a proclivity gift from God.

#B.O.L
Actually, the Op points are very Valid.

It is very difficult to be in a "no string" attach kind of friendship with an EX, it is almost impossible!

Such friendship usually involve rumbling beneath the sheet which causes more harm than good especially if a new partner is in the equation. Exes should be cut off from all forms of communication to avoid stories that touch the heart.
Re: Reasons Not To Become Friends With Your Ex by Jostapo(m): 5:57pm On Nov 03, 2016
I would say it depends on the ground of break-up - I still maintain a peace friendship with my ex without having the (negative negotiations) in between us. We chat as Normal friends will, such is improbable though. This can only be handle by few magnanimous beings not just randomly.

#B.O.L
Re: Reasons Not To Become Friends With Your Ex by KingRex1(m): 6:16pm On Nov 03, 2016
Ermm,
Remaining frnds is simply just being courteous. Though I agree with you op

(1) (Reply)

My Bride’s Best Friend (A Short Romantic Story) / Romance Story Must Read: My I.T Sex Escapades (18+) Complete Season 4 / When You This From Your Girlfriend What Will You Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.