Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,079 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! - Culture (69) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! (171632 Views)

If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here! / Do You Speak Yoruba? / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by StarFlux: 1:49pm On Oct 29, 2012
seunfly:

my dear on that maa issue, please forgive me i did not know it is from the sentence.

Maa from the sentence means "will"

i guess i missed because of the tone.

Jesus said: it is the hand of those that do not have that we have collected and given to those who have.

Jesus said: it is from the hand of those that do not have that we will collect and give to those that have.

Your interpretation was right but if you include (maa) "will" you will get the correct and complete sentence like mine.

Ma binu si mi , se o ti gbo.
Oh, I see! I'm not angry, hehe!
E se pupo!

Eze Promoe:
Interesting! I'll like to learn the language. I'm I welcome?
Yes grin

Adeniki:

Ṣùgbọ́n a ń gbìyànjú kọ́. Mo fẹ́ràn èdè Yorùbá, mo sì fẹ́ kọ́ Yorùbá sí i.

Why add the sì after mo?

This is not picking. I just want to know more!
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by Nobody: 2:01pm On Oct 29, 2012
Adeniki:

Ṣùgbọ́n a ń gbìyànjú kọ́. Mo fẹ́ràn èdè Yorùbá, mo sì fẹ́ kọ́ Yorùbá sí i.
Wow!! ur Yoruba is sound.

Eze Promoe, u've found a teacher!
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by seunfly: 10:11pm On Oct 29, 2012
Eze Promoe:
Interesting! I'll like to learn the language. I'm I welcome?

my friend it is my pleasure.
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by seunfly: 10:56pm On Oct 29, 2012
StarFlux:
Why add the sì after mo?

This is not picking. I just want to know more!

In this sentence "si" is an adverb, it show the degree of something and it equivalent is "still" or "more".

Ṣùgbọ́n a ń gbìyànjú kọ́. Mo fẹ́ràn èdè Yorùbá, mo sì fẹ́ kọ́ Yorùbá sí.

Although you are still correct if you did not put "si" in it
example:
mo fe ko yoruba si.
I want to learn yoruba more.

Compare with the first sentence:
mo (sì) fẹ́ kọ́ Yorùbá sí.
I (still) want to learn yoruba more.

Mo ni ero pe aroye mi ye o fini fini?
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by EzePromoe: 10:58pm On Oct 29, 2012
Shollypopz:
How many times do we have to tell u, No!!

I know you would be the one to attack me, but if i may ask why NO? cry
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by EzePromoe: 11:04pm On Oct 29, 2012
seunfly:

my friend it is my pleasure.
Thank you very much
Shollypopz:
How many times do we have to tell u, No!!
I've recieved my answer, yours doesn't matters anymore. tongue
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by tunnytox(m): 11:07pm On Oct 29, 2012
E kaare lai eyin omo Oodua! ninu gbogbo egungun ologbojo ni baba won, ninu awon kokoro ko si eyi to lee run bi ikamodu, okin n loloja fun gbogbo eye, ede Yoruba gboregejige kaakiri agbalaaye.
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by StarFlux: 12:57am On Oct 30, 2012
seunfly:

In this sentence "si" is an adverb, it show the degree of something and it equivalent is "still" or "more".

Ṣùgbọ́n a ń gbìyànjú kọ́. Mo fẹ́ràn èdè Yorùbá, mo sì fẹ́ kọ́ Yorùbá sí.

Although you are still correct if you did not put "si" in it
example:
mo fe ko yoruba si.
I want to learn yoruba more.

Compare with the first sentence:
mo (sì) fẹ́ kọ́ Yorùbá sí.
I (still) want to learn yoruba more.

Mo ni ero pe aroye mi ye o fini fini?
Alaye re o ye mi. O ye ki n mo, nitori mo ti ri teletele.

E se pupo!
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by EzePromoe: 8:51am On Oct 30, 2012
mo ti mbo by 6pm
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by seunfly: 3:39pm On Oct 30, 2012
Eze Promoe: mo ti mbo by 6pm
you don dey try o.

Ni bo ni o hun bo ni ago mefa irole?
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by EzePromoe: 7:19pm On Oct 30, 2012
seunfly:
you don dey try o.

Ni bo ni o hun bo ni ago mefa irole?

Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by Nobody: 9:10pm On Oct 30, 2012
Eze Promoe:
I think he's asking where u are going or coming by 6pm??
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by EzePromoe: 9:52pm On Oct 30, 2012
Shollypopz:
I think he's asking where u are going or coming by 6pm??

Oh! I see! I'm here already.
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by Nobody: 9:59pm On Oct 30, 2012
Eze Promoe:
Oh! I see! I'm here already.
lol, well he isn't. I told u no one wants to teach u Yoruba! grin tongue
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by EzePromoe: 10:16pm On Oct 30, 2012
Shollypopz:
embarassed
Shollypopz:
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by StarFlux: 12:51am On Oct 31, 2012
Well Eze, if you are truly interested. I can post some of the exercises in my book for you. (The easy ones).
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by EzePromoe: 6:33am On Oct 31, 2012
StarFlux: Well Eze, if you are truly interested. I can post some of the exercises in my book for you. (The easy ones).

I'll seriously appreciate that. smiley
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by seunfly: 1:28pm On Oct 31, 2012
Shollypopz:

eze waitin you do shollypopz now? Well am ready to teach you if you re ready.
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by Nobody: 6:38pm On Oct 31, 2012
Starflux was probably banned by pyguru. Pele ehn, it prolly had issues with d file u were about to upload.

The bot mod is such a jacka*ss, see u in a few hours smiley
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by StarFlux: 7:30pm On Oct 31, 2012
Shollypopz: Starflux was probably banned by pyguru. Pele ehn, it prolly had issues with d file u were about to upload.

The bot mod is such a jacka*ss, see u in a few hours smiley
Yes lol cry
And it removed my exercises for Eze.
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by EzePromoe: 12:32am On Nov 01, 2012
seunfly:

eze waitin you do shollypopz now? Well am ready to teach you if you re ready.
I'm ready. Now i want to know about Yoruba greetings e.g ekaro, ekabo etc.
StarFlux: Yes lol cry
And it removed my exercises for Eze.
Pyguru have stepped on my toes again nevertheless i will be more patient till when you prepare the write ups. Thanks!
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by StarFlux: 1:39am On Nov 01, 2012
How to greet in Yorùbá!

The universal greeting prefix in Yorùbá is kú. What you do is add this prefix to what greeting you want to express.
Good morning - (E) kú àárò. (E is honorific for elders, parents, bosses etc).

However, there is something called ellision, where words "merge".
So probably what you will be hearing is (e) káàárò.

List of greetings:

(E) káàárò - Good morning
(E) káàsán - Good afternoon
(E) kúùròlé - Good evening
(E) káalé - Good night

But it's actually more like "greetings for this morning" etc, but the English equivalent starts with good.
Other greetings:

(E) kú aájò - Greetings for your concern
(E) kú ìtójú - Greetings for your preseverance
(E) kú ìdúró - Greetings for waiting

Do you remember what I told you about when to use the honorific E? If so, answer answer these:

How would you greet your teacher:
How would you greet your little sister:
How would you greet your uncle:
How would you greet your boss:
How would you greet your younger friend:
How would you greet your younger classmate:

Other greetings:

Báwo ni - How are you
Báwo ni nnkan - How are things

Also, Seanfly is the best when it comes to Yoruba. He explains very well.
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by EzePromoe: 9:24am On Nov 01, 2012
How would you greet your teacher:

E kaaro
How would you greet your little sister:
Ba wo ni
How would you greet your uncle:

E ka aro
How would you greet your boss:
E ka aro
How would you greet your younger friend:

Ka aro undecided
How would you greet your younger classmate:
Ka aro undecided
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by StarFlux: 10:45pm On Nov 01, 2012
Very good! Though, you could've used good morning on little sister, and vice versa (bawo ni). Is there anything in specific you want to know?
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by EzePromoe: 8:39pm On Nov 02, 2012
StarFlux: Very good! Though, you could've used good morning on little sister, and vice versa (bawo ni). Is there anything in specific you want to know?

O ti se! I was just not too sure of the ka aro but since you said it's right, o da aro! smiley
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by tunnytox(m): 4:01pm On Nov 03, 2012
Eze Promoe: grin at OP. You think it's only Nairalanders that knows that Yorubas are cowards and can't fit in this kind of thing. Them don fight Hausas for them own homesoil not to talk of to fight their grandmasters away from their homesoil.

Olosi oloriburuku! I suspected all this while that you're a Yoruba hater, stupeed f00l!

To ba fi ori fanran yi sile Sango oko ya ni maa ran si e.
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by tunnytox(m): 4:03pm On Nov 03, 2012
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by EzePromoe: 4:18pm On Nov 03, 2012
tunnytox:

Olosi oloriburuku! I suspected all this while that you're a Yoruba hater, stupeed f00l!

To ba fi ori fanran yi sile Sango oko ya ni maa ran si e.
Must you bring this to this thread, this is another thread for Christ sake. Why do you want to pull words outta my mouth? Ma sheleshe o! Mi o raye that nonsence o!
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by Nobody: 5:07pm On Nov 03, 2012
Eze Promoe:
Must you bring this to this thread, this is another thread for Christ sake. Why do you want to pull words outta my mouth? Ma sheleshe o! Mi o raye that nonsence o!

hhmmm......once again, I'm right!! I knew it was best not to be nice to u, Yoruba hater!

Oloriburuku, iro ati mago-mago lo ma pa e! Ma je kin ri e ni bi mo!! Oloshi, ewure jati-jati!!
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by EzePromoe: 4:09pm On Nov 04, 2012
Shollypopz:

hhmmm......once again, I'm right!! I knew it was best not to be nice to u, Yoruba hater!

Oloriburuku, iro ati mago-mago lo ma pa e! Ma je kin ri e ni bi mo!! Oloshi, ewure jati-jati!!

And the best you can do is to call me a goat ?
You know that most comment we make here on Nairaland are just for fun. I had respected you so much, and being such one i respected i don't expect this from you. I was born in Yorubaland but wasn't opportuned to mix up with the 7 years i spent there. I don't think asking somebody (which isn't you) was bad though but don't quote me like this next time. Oshe!
Re: If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! by Nobody: 4:15pm On Nov 04, 2012
Eze Promoe:
And the best you can do is to call me a goat ?
If u understood Yoruba, u'll know I said worse. Yoruba hater! angry angry

Me no like u again undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (Reply)

Most Frequently Used Insult In Nigeria / Funny But Wise African Proverbs. / Efik/ibibio Names And Their Meaning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.