Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,047 members, 7,810,866 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:21 PM

Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? (3402 Views)

The Allegory In The Garden Of Eden Account Of The Fall Of Man By Reno Omokri / Where Exactly Is Garden Of Eden??? / Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 11:02am On Nov 06, 2016
According to genesis chapter 2 vs 9, God planted the tree of knowledge of good and evil in the garden of eden my question is why did God plant that tree there? especially when he doesnt want adam to eat it what did he hope to achieve by putting an unwanted tree in the garden?
Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by hahn(m): 12:10pm On Nov 06, 2016
Because it is confused, incompetent, sadistic and imaginary

3 Likes

Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by Lagusta(m): 1:47pm On Nov 06, 2016
kingcity:
According to genesis chapter 2 vs 9, God planted the tree of knowledge of good and evil in the garden of eden my question is why did God plant that tree there? especially when he doesnt want adam to eat it what did he hope to achieve by putting an unwanted tree in the garden?

Your question have answers when you read the ISLAMIC point of view.....
Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Nov 06, 2016
Lagusta:

Your question have answers when you read the ISLAMIC point of view.....
what's the islamic point of view?
Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by Lagusta(m): 2:15pm On Nov 06, 2016
kingcity:
what's the islamic point of view?

When God created Adam and Eve, He gave them the instruction to eat everything their eyes could behold, but should not go near that tree, for it woukd lead to their downfall....

But Satan misled them (Islamically, we don't say there was a serpent or whatever, Na devil do am) and they both ate of it....

God send them down to the earth, but at the same time, taught them words of forgiveness, which they recited, and God forgave them....

And after the Cain and Abel story and everything, and their death, they were admitted into paradise again....

Now what are the lessons??

1) God is our supreme creator, and gives instructions with stern warnings if violated, the same way a teacher gives instructions to students....

2) Man is prone to error and sin, being tempted and misled by the devil always.....

3) However, God is ready to forgive if one truly repents, but a severe punishment await those who believe they are greater than God....

This, however is a summary, a comprehensive guide can be found in authentic islamic literature....

2 Likes

Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by freeradical(m): 2:22pm On Nov 06, 2016
You know that God is called the Almighty for a reason right. Everything he does is right and just. Man on the other hand was created in the image and likeness of God and so he was equally good and spotless. Being made in the image and likeness of God man was given the power of reason and the gift of free will. The tree was the test to how man will exercise that gift and the consequence of which righteousness will be ascribed to him or unrighteousness which will let him fall from grace.

The tree was planted so that man will decide his own fate and not God choosing his path for him. The choice has been made and we have all seen the consequences. If it wasnt a tree, God would certainly had set any other kind of test for our first parents to prove their loyalty to his laws or commands. To choose their destiny whether they would be righteous or not.

I hope I answered u well

3 Likes

Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by freeradical(m): 2:26pm On Nov 06, 2016
hahn:
Because it is confused, incompetent, sadistic and imaginary
This your unbelief has gradually metamorphosed into spiteful hate and dont you think it is awkward hating what u believe doesn't exist smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by Splinz(m): 2:49pm On Nov 06, 2016
freeradical:
This your unbelief has gradually metamorphosed into spiteful hate and dont you think it is awkward hating what u believe doesn't exist smiley

He is a restless and pitiable soul. Pray for him if you can...
Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by ElsonMorali: 2:56pm On Nov 06, 2016
Is it really so difficult to believe that your creator actually wants you to demonstrate your loyalty to him before you can be admitted to eternal bliss with him? undecided
Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by theoneJabulani(m): 3:04pm On Nov 06, 2016
Was there freewill before Adam and Eve ate the food?
Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by freeradical(m): 3:07pm On Nov 06, 2016
theoneJabulani:
Was there freewill before Adam and Eve ate the food?
of course they always had free will even before the fall
Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by skeendyke: 3:33pm On Nov 06, 2016
Freeradical, that was nice. The whole essence of the tree is freewill. God is just and fair, and if He is truly just He must give everyone the chance to choose between Him and following after evil. He gave this same choice to angels.

That Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil still exists in the choices we make. Learn from the fall of Adam. Evil, no matter how innocent looking, always has disastrous consequences in the end. Nothing like living right in Christ.

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by freeradical(m): 3:49pm On Nov 06, 2016
skeendyke:
Freeradical, that was nice. The whole essence of the tree is freewill. God is just and fair, and if He is truly just He must give everyone the chance to choose between Him and following after evil. He gave this same choice to angels.

That Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil still exists in the choices we make. Learn from the fall of Adam. Evil, no matter how innocent looking, always has disastrous consequences in the end. Nothing like living right in Christ.
You are spot on @skeendyke in ur analysis. The serpent did not force them to eat the fruit. Rather it told them that eating the fruit would make them be like God. Analysing this proposition with their reason they must have thought to themselves how cool it would feel being of equal pedestal with God. They weighed this against God's threat that it would lead to their death. They believed the serpent over God and made their choice. Who knows what sinister plans they had when they would become like God?

That's the origin of everything bad we see in the world today. As man fell from grace the earth fell too with him. Thank God for his omniscience. He already knew the way to bring man back to his lost glory. He was going to send his Christ to save the world.

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Nov 06, 2016
The story its self is filled with plot holes.
If God knows everything then he knew Adam and Eve would eat the fruit before he even created them.
Adam and Eve didn't know good from evil so how did they know disobeying God was bad.
Sack the writer
Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by freeradical(m): 4:54pm On Nov 06, 2016
Lennycool:
The story its self is filled with plot holes.
If God knows everything then he knew Adam and Eve would eat the fruit before he even created them.
Adam and Eve didn't know good from evil so how did they know disobeying God was bad.
Sack the writer
That is why he is God. You know just like u he has his own personality. He can also choose to take any line of action that is pleasing to him. He knows that despite man's fall he can still be saved. For the devil and his followers, there is no sabing because in his omniscience he has seen that their hate of his authority is eternal. The beautiful xtic of God is that in all his choices he is righteous, fair and just. He decided to go ahead and make man because he knew that he will reconcile him to himself again. And the new man will be far better than the first. Amd every event will in the end serve his purpose.
Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by DeSepiero(m): 4:55pm On Nov 06, 2016
The writers of the Bible needed man to commit a 'sin' against God, so that's the best they could come up with.
Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Nov 06, 2016
freeradical:
That is why he is God. You know just like u he has his own personality. He can also choose to take any line of action that is pleasing to him. He knows that despite man's fall he can still be saved. For the devil and his followers, there is no sabing because in his omniscience he has seen that their hate of his authority is eternal. The beautiful xtic of God is that in all his choices he is righteous, fair and just. He decided to go ahead and make man because he knew that he will reconcile him to himself again. And the new man will be far better than the first. Amd every event will in the end serve his purpose.
Sorry my friend but you are wrong.
God knew everything man would do after creation, yet he cursed man for eating the apple, he sent a worldwide flood to destroy man and even regretted creating them. Does this seem like an all knowing all loving intelligent God?
Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by freeradical(m): 5:08pm On Nov 06, 2016
Lennycool:

Sorry my friend but you are wrong.
God knew everything man would do after creation, yet he cursed man for eating the apple, he sent a worldwide flood to destroy man and even regretted creating them. Does this seem like an all knowing all loving intelligent God?
My man I dnt think u r being fair in your critcism of your creator. U agree with me that man was created with d power to determine his destiny. Are u otherwise stating that free will given to man is not a good thing. Why hold God responsible for the bad choices man has made for himself.
Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by freeradical(m): 5:17pm On Nov 06, 2016
You and I weren't alive to have witnessed the level of depravity on earth that made the Lord decide to reset creation with a deluge. But as a xtian guided by the holy spirit in me, I trust that it was a just and righteous call. In matters of religion u never can take away the place of faith. Even the choice of unbelief requires a level of faith
Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by freeradical(m): 5:24pm On Nov 06, 2016
DeSepiero:
The writers of the Bible needed man to commit a 'sin' against God, so that's the best they could come up with.
Very funny grin
Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by shestrong(f): 5:26pm On Nov 06, 2016
God has given each and everyone of us CHOICE,to chuz between good nd evil,wrong nd right etcetera, they choosed to eat from d tree of evil evn after dey wr warned so pls we can't blame God.Evn in our practical daily lives wen we r faced with temptations, we still hv the wat we call CHOICE to do dat act or not,if u r able to overcome it ,u notice dat u feel happier,dats it.OK bye

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Nov 06, 2016
freeradical:
My man I dnt think u r being fair in your critcism of your creator. U agree with me that man was created with d power to determine his destiny. Are u otherwise stating that free will given to man is not a good thing. Why hold God responsible for the bad choices man has made for himself.
Don't you see that the story itself is very flawed.
Why did God create the devil in the first place knowing fully well what he would do?
Reason.
Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by freeradical(m): 6:02pm On Nov 06, 2016
Lennycool:

Don't you see that the story itself is very flawed.
Why did God create the devil in the first place knowing fully well what he would do?
Reason.
In the order of creation angels were created before man. They were spirit beings with tremendous power. Lucifer was an angel but his pride made hm fall from glory to being the devil. Its d same abuse of freewill that led Lucifer and his minions to rebel against God. Try to understand d concept of freewill first and u will stop having all these misconception about your creator. The omniscient power of God has made hI'm know that in d end everything will turn out well. Do u know how all this will end?
Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Nov 06, 2016
freeradical:
In the order of creation angels were created before man. They were spirit beings with tremendous power. Lucifer was an angel but his pride made hm fall from glory to being the devil. Its d same abuse of freewill that led Lucifer and his minions to rebel against God. Try to understand d concept of freewill first and u will stop having all these misconception about your creator. The omniscient power of God has made hI'm know that in d end everything will turn out well. Do u know how all this will end?
So because the knew everything would turn bout well he created the devil?
Every pain inflicted on every human was allowed by God then.
The starving children all around the world that die each they because of extreme hunger is because of God.
All the terrorist attack like 911 was because of God.
All the natural disaster and disease that has killed millions was caused by God.
All the people that are supposed to go to hell and burn for ever was because of God, as Satan was the one responsible for the first sin.

How is this God supposed to be loving?
You say it will be better in the future, but that does not take away the very real suffering countless people suffer around the world all because he created the devil.
Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by freeradical(m): 6:12pm On Nov 06, 2016
Lennycool:

So because the knew everything would turn bout well he created the devil?
Every pain inflicted on every human was allowed by God then.
The starving children all around the world that die each they because of extreme hunger is because of God.
All the terrorist attack like 911 was because of God.
All the natural disaster and disease that has killed millions was caused by God.
All the people that are supposed to go to hell and burn for ever was because of God, as Satan was the one responsible for the first sin.

How is this God supposed to be loving?
You say it will be better in the future, but that does not take away the very real suffering countless people suffer around the world all because he created the devil.
Your thought pattern is flawed my friend. Id throw light on this later

modified: The way u r erroneously blaming God for all the evil in the world makes me wonder if by some experience u feel God has failed you hence your anger at him. It doesn't make sense if you apply the concept of freewill to hold God accountable for the actioms of his creations. Its unfortunate that evil came into the world but that should not make you lose your faith. Do not make yourself an enemy of your own maker. There are many mysteries about life that you and I do not understand but everything about our human nature points towards a higher plane of existence. That we are created beings. Do not deny this part of your nature. God still loves u bro
Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Nov 06, 2016
freeradical:
Your thought pattern is flawed my friend. Id throw light on this later
No my friend yours is. I was once like you trying so hard to interpret the bible and God in good light. I blinded myself to how illogical it seemed as you do now.
Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by freeradical(m): 7:17pm On Nov 06, 2016
Lennycool:

No my friend yours is. I was once like you trying so hard to interpret the bible and God in good light. I blinded myself to how illogical it seemed as you do now.
The flaw in your arguement is that u keep ascribing the faults of the created beings to the creator. Do u think God erred by giving these beings the @bility to think and choose freely?
Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Nov 06, 2016
... Was cannabis the TREE OF KNOWLEDGE??
Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by freeradical(m): 7:31pm On Nov 06, 2016
Lennycool:

You cant ever be like me same as I cant be like u. Each and everyone of us have a different life pattern to lead. If u have led my life probably u will have strong conviction that God is real and is good and worthy of your worship. Prolly if I led ur life I wud have given in to my unbelief. What is true however is that you were never like me bro.
Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by freeradical(m): 7:32pm On Nov 06, 2016
KyleBrry:
... Was cannabis the TREE OF KNOWLEDGE??
That thing that makes you guys slow and dull grin
Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Nov 06, 2016
freeradical:
The flaw in your arguement is that u keep ascribing the faults of the created beings to the creator. Do u think God erred by giving these beings the @bility to think and choose freely?
God does not exist.
Re: Why Did God Plant The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by freeradical(m): 7:34pm On Nov 06, 2016
Lennycool:

God does not exist.
What is your proof to that claim? Convince me.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jesus Christ Is A Greek Ggod / Old Covenant?? / Christ Embassy No Bi Church Walai!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.