Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,108 members, 7,828,910 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child (4736 Views)

Female Child Is More Valuable Than Male Child – Reno Omokri / Female Child Has Right To Inherit Father’s Property In Igboland – Supreme Court / The Female Child And The Upsurge In Prostitution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by raumdeuter: 7:59pm On Nov 09, 2016
Mindfulness:

Your diamond analogy is screwed. The diamond has no feelings and no needs. A child has the inherent need to be autonomous and more autonomous gradually but you can mess up their childhood and youth by making your home a prison and while you are at , school them at home, get rid of the TV and the computer and never ever allow them to listen to music. They will love their life. grin

Then this is not reasonable. You have underaged kids Do you or dont you screen what they listen to or watch on TV? If you do then why dont you allow your 7yr old daughter to watch poorn on TV or listen to curse word hardcore rap because you dont want to mess up their childhood and youth

Children need to be introduced gradually into the world as they grow older into this not just allow them permission to do anything they want from their infancy when they cannot discern right from wrong

Religion and society requires adults to protect and care for their young ones, If a judge knows under your watch a minor is drinking alcohol or exposed to adult material you can easily lose custody as being unfit to be a parent
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by dangotesmummy: 8:35pm On Nov 09, 2016
Over protection is what causes children lying and pretending to their parents meanwhile when they're outside they're different people because THEY know their parents choke and baby them all their lives THEY usually live two lives
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by nowpresence(f): 9:24pm On Nov 09, 2016
raumdeuter:

Let children be? Do you know some of the consequences of letting children be? Children dont know good from evil in most cases and by the time they find out it might be too late

If you are a parent wont you enforce a strict time on your kids to come back home or you just let them come home at anytime they want and make mistakes that are common with night crawlers
I am talking about teenagers and young adults here.
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by raumdeuter: 9:34pm On Nov 09, 2016
nowpresence:
I am talking about teenagers and young adults here.

Are you saying if you have teenagers you will allow them to do whatever they want stay out as long as they want, you wont care about the type of company they keep, dress anyhow they want, drink or smoke as they want
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by Nobody: 9:34pm On Nov 09, 2016
raumdeuter:

Then this is not reasonable. You have underaged kids Do you or dont you screen what they listen to or watch on TV? If you do then why dont you allow your 7yr old daughter to watch poorn on TV or listen to curse word hardcore rap because you dont want to mess up their childhood and youth

Children need to be introduced gradually into the world as they grow older into this not just allow them permission to do anything they want from their infancy when they cannot discern right from wrong

Religion and society requires adults to protect and care for their young ones, If a judge knows under your watch a minor is drinking alcohol or exposed to adult material you can easily lose custody as being unfit to be a parent

Exactly.
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by raumdeuter: 9:38pm On Nov 09, 2016
Mindfulness:
Exactly.

And protectiveness you complain about is a means to usher them into the world gradually. When you are an adult 18yrs plus you get more freedom than you had when you were 12, when you turn 26yrs you get more freedom than when you were 18
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by Nobody: 9:46pm On Nov 09, 2016
raumdeuter:

And protectiveness you complain about is a means to usher them into the world gradually. When you are an adult 18yrs plus you get more freedom than you had when you were 12, when you turn 26yrs you get more freedom than when you were 18

I am not complaining. I am saying that there is a difference between protection and overprotection. Too much of anything can be a curse, they say.
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by nowpresence(f): 9:50pm On Nov 09, 2016
raumdeuter:

Are you saying if you have teenagers you will allow them to do whatever they want stay out as long as they want, you wont care about the type of company they keep, dress anyhow they want, drink or smoke as they want
Of course I will care about what they do and the company they keep. That's normal.
But here we are taking about over protection .
According to Macmillan dictionary over protection means "being so worried about the safety or success of your children that you do too many things for them and prevent them from being independent"
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by raumdeuter: 9:54pm On Nov 09, 2016
nowpresence:

Of course I will care about what they do and the company they keep. That's normal.
But here we are taking about over protection .
According to Macmillan dictionary over protection means "being so worried about the safety or success of your children that you do too many things for them and prevent them from being independent"

Mindfulness:

I am not complaining. I am saying that there is a difference between protection and overprotection. Too much of anything can be a curse, they say.

So whats an example of protection and whats an example of overprotection
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by Nobody: 10:02pm On Nov 09, 2016
raumdeuter:

Caring to know who their friends are and what they do together, when and where is protection. You keep an eye on them.
Not allowing them to have friends at all and play outside is overprotection. You imprison them.
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by raumdeuter: 10:22pm On Nov 09, 2016
Mindfulness:

Caring to know who their friends are and what they do together, when and where is protection. You keep an eye on them.
Not allowing them to have friends at all and play outside is overprotection. You imprison them.

There is no kid who doesnt have friend since they go to school and make friends. Have you seen any parent who tell their kids when going to school not to talk to anyone nor have friends?

The only situation you described is when the child has shown judgment in choosing friends and consistently choose bad ones, At that point I see no reason why they cant be grounded

They cant play outside of the environment is dangerous, or they go beyond the prescribed play boundaries
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by nowpresence(f): 10:28pm On Nov 09, 2016
raumdeuter:

Protection is caring about their needs, knowing who their friends are, what they do. Generally, it's being aware of their environment and showing them that you love, care and most importantly you trust them.

Overprotection is nearly the opposite.
The parents sees everything around the children as a potential danger. Their friends, they may try to find fault in their friends, even when it is harmless( no one is perfect), So the children should not hang Out with them. to them Also, the school might be corrupting their children, so They might decide to visit the school maybe everyDay to see what the children are up to. They fear everything Around their children, so instead of letting the children explore they lock them in the house In a bid to protect them.
This most times is not about the children but as a result of the parents Fear and anxiety and also the parents might have had similar experience And treatment when they were young From their own and . You can't possibly give what you don't have.

All these Prevent the child from growing up. Mixing with their mate becomes a problem because they have being secluded from that environment for a long time. It often leads to insecurities issues especially when theY are teenagers and young adults.

Sometimes what you are preventing them from when they get a little while opportunity they wants to explore it all. Losing their mind and self in the process.
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by nowpresence(f): 10:30pm On Nov 09, 2016
raumdeuter:

There is no kid who doesnt have friend since they go to school and make friends. Have you seen any parent who tell their kids when going to school not to talk to anyone nor have friends?

The only situation you described is when the child has shown judgment in choosing friends and consistently choose bad ones, At that point I see no reason why they cant be grounded

They cant play outside of the environment is dangerous, or they go beyond the prescribed play boundaries
If you have had such parents you won't be talking like this. You did to experience it to know what it truly is.
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by Mznaett: 10:31pm On Nov 09, 2016
raumdeuter:

Can you really OVER protect what is dear to you?

If you have a piece of diamond now, that everyone is trying to steal from you will you just put it under your pillow?
Most likely you will hide in very well and anyone going towards that direction you will police sharply

With the way the world is and the way media and pop culture is promoting lax sexual behavior, Wont you over protect your own from the world?

"FEAR and TRUST ISSUE" That's all I see in your write ups

One can protect his "precious diamond" as much as he can but the girl child is worth more than that..
She needs her freedom.. She isn't a slave for crying out loud.. So parents taking this to the extreme is a total no no for me

1 Like

Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by raumdeuter: 10:43pm On Nov 09, 2016
nowpresence:

If you have had such parents you won't be talking like this. You did to experience it to know what it truly is.

Almost every teenager has at least one time complained about their parents. I also complained about my parents because I saw my friends who were allowed to go for all night parties at 16-17 while I had a curfew of when I must be home

I see friends who at 18 can bring their girlfriends to sleep all night and I thought what lucky kids I wished I had parents like this cos till I left my parents house no female was allowed to sleep over in my house

But when I checked what happened to most of them as a result of the freedom they were given as teenagers I was glad I was restricted as a teen
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by raumdeuter: 10:45pm On Nov 09, 2016
Mznaett:
"FEAR and TRUST ISSUE" That's all I see in your write ups

One can protect his "precious diamond" as much as he can but the girl child is worth more than that..
She needs her freedom.. She isn't a slave for crying out loud.. So parents taking this to the extreme is a total no no for me

Just like the girl child is worth more than diamond, Also people who want to steal her are more than those who want to steal diamond

Freedom is only earned when you have shown good judgment. The predators out there only need a few moments of slack before they destroy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by raumdeuter: 10:47pm On Nov 09, 2016
nowpresence:

Sometimes what you are preventing them from when they get a little while opportunity they wants to explore it all. Losing their mind and self in the process.

And do you have evidence that kids who are given all the freedom dont explore it fully and end up damaged and regret the freedom they had
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by Mznaett: 11:05pm On Nov 09, 2016
raumdeuter:

Just like the girl child is worth more than diamond, Also people who want to steal her are more than those who want to steal diamond

Freedom is only earned when you have shown good judgment. The predators out there only need a few moments of slack before they destroy

Clearly,the previous/current wave of over protectiveness from our parents had negative effects on the girl child. It has not only weakened parental authority but also left the girl child without the guidance she needs to make good choices and approach life with genuine confidence.
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by nowpresence(f): 11:08pm On Nov 09, 2016
raumdeuter:

Almost every teenager has at least one time complained about their parents. I also complained about my parents because I saw my friends who were allowed to go for all night parties at 16-17 while I had a curfew of when I must be home

I see friends who at 18 can bring their girlfriends to sleep all night and I thought what lucky kids I wished I had parents like this cos till I left my parents house no female was allowed to sleep over in my house

But when I checked what happened to most of them as a result of the freedom they were given as teenagers I was glad I was restricted as a teen
Good for you.
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by raumdeuter: 11:31pm On Nov 09, 2016
nowpresence:
Good for you.

You think a teenage boy would be served better to allow him attend all night parties and have girlfriends sleep over or have your teenage daughter go sleepover at boyfriends
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by raumdeuter: 11:33pm On Nov 09, 2016
Mznaett:
Clearly,the previous/current wave of over protectiveness from our parents had negative effects on the girl child. It has not only weakened parental authority but also left the girl child without the guidance she needs to make good choices and approach life with genuine confidence.

Do we have another sample to compare to where the parents were permissive and not protective to compare how they fared on parental authority, making good choices and genuine confidence
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by nowpresence(f): 11:43pm On Nov 09, 2016
raumdeuter:

You think a teenage boy would be served better to allow him attend all night parties and have girlfriends sleep over or have your teenage daughter go sleepover at boyfriends
OK, let me use the Nigerian context.
I will not allow my child in secondary school go to Night club and Also not bring their girlfriends home. When he goes to university or living on his own he can do whatever he likes.
Same for my daughters, no sleep overs at boyfriends when they are still in secondary school.

But of course, rules can be bent a little to allow on few occasions but under supervision from matured adults.
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by raumdeuter: 12:05am On Nov 10, 2016
nowpresence:

OK, let me use the Nigerian context.
I will not allow my child in secondary school go to Night club and Also not bring their girlfriends home. When he goes to university or living on his own he can do whatever he likes.
Same for my daughters, no sleep overs at boyfriends when they are still in secondary school.

But of course, rules can be bent a little to allow on few occasions but under supervision from matured adults.

Do exactly this, And when you hear your kids open a thread or describe you to their friends they will say "My mom is the most paranoid person in the world, My gf cant even sleep over", She didnt even allow me to plait my hair like Timaya, get tattoos like Davido, go for night parties and chill with Olamide etc Or young daughter wants to be taking and posting sexxy pictures online

If this current world is like this, Imagine what their generations will be like, I am assuming you dont have teenage kids yet.

The demands of teenagers are excessive and they think they are grown up, a parent need to be enforce certain ground rules else the kid would just be lost.

WHen you are out of my house you can do as you wish, Shebi when I was in uni were my parents there to know where I was sleeping?
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by nowpresence(f): 12:18am On Nov 10, 2016
raumdeuter:

Do exactly this, And when you hear your kids open a thread or describe you to their friends they will say "My mom is the most paranoid person in the world, My gf cant even sleep over", She didnt even allow me to plait my hair like Timaya, get tattoos like Davido, go for night parties and chill with Olamide etc Or young daughter wants to be taking and posting sexxy pictures online

If this current world is like this, Imagine what their generations will be like, I am assuming you dont have teenage kids yet.

The demands of teenagers are excessive and they think they are grown up, a parent need to be enforce certain ground rules else the kid would just be lost.

WHen you are out of my house you can do as you wish, Shebi when I was in uni were my parents there to know where I was sleeping?
I know all this, what I am stressing here is when it becomes too much from the parents it harms the child.
We are not here to please our children so that they can like us because either ways they will always find something to say.
The issue here is are we giving Them enough opportunity to make decisions for themselves and also allowing Them to own Up to whatever that comes with it. Not always protecting from experiences which will help to build them in the future.

Parents are not there to please or make friends with children but there to lead them on the right path and also more importantly trusting them that they will do what is right.
The trust is very important.
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by Nobody: 7:03am On Nov 10, 2016
raumdeuter:

I have seen parents who do not allow their kids to spend time with their friends in their free time when other kids are having fun in the afternoons.
These kids are more often than not weird.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by toyeem(f): 9:20am On Nov 10, 2016
Mindfulness:

I have seen parents who do not allow their kids to spend time with their friends in their free time when other kids are having fun in the afternoons.

Even me, I can not allow my children to go and play in another child's house. Their friends come to play with them in my house under my supervision and for few times in a week. They interact in school, church and birthday parties with other children so no need for aimless playing around in the neighbourhood. I taught in a private primary school for about 3yrs and I saw a lot.
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by bukatyne(f): 10:57am On Nov 10, 2016
I would protect both my daughters and sons.

In my opinion, tit's futile to protect your daughter while leaving your sons to wander; the wandering sons invites trouble to the daughter at home.

Looking back, I am adopting a lot from my own upbringing...

No yeye friends or outing.....'Read your books! cool'
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by Nobody: 12:40pm On Nov 10, 2016
toyeem:

Even me, I can not allow my children to go and play in another child's house. Their friends come to play with them in my house under my supervision and for few times in a week. They interact in school, church and birthday parties with other children so no need for aimless playing around in the neighbourhood. I taught in a private primary school for about 3yrs and I saw a lot.

Why do their friends come to your house when your kids are not allowed to go to their house?
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by KillerPriest: 1:00pm On Nov 10, 2016
bukatyne:
I would protect both my daughters and sons.

In my opinion, tit's futile to protect your daughter while leaving your sons to wander; the wandering sons invites trouble to the daughter at home.

Looking back, I am adopting a lot from my own upbringing...

No yeye friends or outing.....'Read your books! cool'

The topic is not on whether or not one should protect his-her child. ‘Overprotectiveness’ is the operative word. You can eat sugar, but eating excess sugar jeopardizes one's health.

When you make them read books but do not allow them to live out what they read, when you deprive them of human contact and fun and the other bells and whistles characteristic of childhood, then you might as well be raising robots, forgetting that one's childhood is like a woman's hymen — once it's gone it can never be recovered.

Michael Jackson was a bibliophile, the King Of Pop, a musical god, but his parents – his father Joe especially – was overprotective of Michael.
Michael was home-schooled, didn't have the luxury of friends, and was shielded from the world. No wonder he turned out to be emotionally-unbalanced and appeared to be a fourteen-year-old trapped in the body of an adult. Everything has its season, and if a child is not allowed to be a child at the right time, he-she would ultimately be a child at the wrong time i.e during adulthood.

Overprotectiveness makes a child weak, naïve, inexperienced, to mention but a few.

1 Like

Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by Nobody: 1:22pm On Nov 10, 2016
I just love it!!

KillerPriest:

The topic is not on whether or not one should protect his-her child. ‘Overprotectiveness’ is the operative word. You can eat sugar, but eating excess sugar jeopardizes one's health.

When you make them read books but do not allow them to live out what they read, when you deprive them of human contact and fun and the others bells and whistles characteristic of childhood, then you might as well be raising robots, forgetting that one's childhood is like a woman's hymen — once it's gone it can never be recovered.

Children are so carefree and so fun loving but adults, who forgot that life is supposed to be fun, think that they can teach them more than they can learn from them. When in fact the little ones enjoy life so much more until we mess it up for them and make them become like the rest who complain about the world and their lives all the time and take everything far too seriously.

The simile you have used in this context is so poignant. Let the little ones be, they have so much of what you wish you still had. Don't kill their zeal for life. Look at those sulky faces around you, they are not the faces of children.

Michael Jackson was a bibliophile, the King Of Pop, a musical god, but his parents – his father Joe especially – was overprotective of Michael.
Michael was homeschooled, didn't have the luxury of friends, and was shielded from the world -- yet you wonder why he turned out to be emotionally-unbalanced and appeared to be a fourteen-year-old trapped in the body of an adult.

Overprotectiveness makes a child weak, naïve, inexperienced, to mention but a few.

Perfect example!

Would parents rather have a genius or a happy child?
I would not want my children to end up numbing themselves like Michael did until he died because he was not allowed to be a child and enjoy it like he naturally would. Joseph Jackson wanted the best for him, too, I am sure. And he was acting with the same arrogance many parents still do.

The benefits of play time and social learning have been long underestimated. It is with other children that they learn how to compromise, how to resolve conflicts, how to win through and gain acceptance. And it is in their free time when they do not know what to do that they develop imagination and creativity. Give them some space and time to explore and develop.

Not everything is learned at home and from books and you can't teach them everything. They will learn things you won't like but they will amaze you too. Just remember that you are not a perfect role model either. Guide them but also show them that you trust them.

Like dangotesmummy has perfectly said, controlling them too much, will only make them live a double life and lie to you because they were not born to be imprisoned but learn and develop within an age appropriate frame. They will trust you as much as you trust them.
Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by KillerPriest: 2:13pm On Nov 10, 2016
Mindfulness:
I just love it!!

Children are so carefree and so fun loving but adults, who forgot that life is supposed to be fun, think that they can teach them more than they can learn from them. When in fact the little ones enjoy life so much more until we mess it up for them and make them become like the rest who complain about the world and their lives all the time and take everything far too seriously.

We should also not forget that a man-woman is most inquisitive as a child. A child always wants to know; he-she wants to know the color of the wind, and what gives rainbows their colour, and why birds can fly, and why the sky is blue, and a bushel of inquiries that we adults would consider silly and trifling.

An attempt to fetter the inquisitiveness of a child inadvertently takes a heavy toll on his-her mental outlook as an adult.

To paraphrase John Locke: ‘The human mind is first of all a tabula rasa, a clean slate of innocence; whatever is impressed upon a person in childhood is what endures into adulthood.

When a child is bred and brooded with the mindset that the world is a haunted room full of steel traps which one must not advance towards in order to be on the safe side, then such a child would likely not approach life with a venturesome spirit, but would rather choose to be content with the servings of life's buffet, and that as we know is unhealthiest of all philosophies.

The simile you have used in this context is so poignant. Let the little ones be, they have so much of what you wish you still had. Don't kill their zeal for life. Look at those sulky faces around you, they are not the faces of children.

Perfect example!

Yet people wonder why a young man like myself is obsessed and constantly diddling with the idea of having a child of his own. grin

Children are metaphors for the good side of humanity: hope, care, humility, love, playfulness, tenderness. They are reminders that even though we are inherently evil, we are also inherently good.

Even a baby Adolf Hitler still symbolises that inherent good of humanity.

Would parents rather have a genius or a happy child?
I would not want my children to end up numbing themselves like Michael did until he died because he was not allowed to be a child and enjoy it like he naturally would. Joseph Jackson wanted the best for him, too, I am sure. And he was acting with the same arrogance many parents still do.

Good question. I would rather have both but if I only had one option to choose from, then I would pick happiness over ingenuity for my child.

I don't know if this saying is apt for the occasion:

“The most uninformed mind in a healthy body is happier than the wisest valetudinarian”.

Those were the timeless words of Thomas Jefferson.

We could also say that the most uninformed child with a happy and unencumbered spirit is better off than a whizkid with a soul honeycombed with grief -- grief wrought by the quantification metrics of the adults around him-her which have and still are clipping the wings of his-her childhood.

The benefits of play time and social learning have been long underestimated. It is with other children that they learn how to compromise, how to resolve conflicts, how to win through and gain acceptance. And it is in their free time when they do not know what to do that they develop imagination and creativity. Give them some space and time to explore and develop

Exactly! Boredom and inactivity spurs creativity and imagination.

When people say they are bored, I envy them greatly because it only means that they have the time to think and create. A bored child or adult is raw genius waiting to explode.

Not everything is learned at home and from books and you can't teach them everything. They will learn things you won't like but they will amaze you too. Just remember that you are not a perfect role model either. Guide them but also show them that you trust them.

Like dangotesmummy has perfectly said, controlling them too much, will only make them live a double life and lie to you because they were not born to be imprisoned but learn and develop within an age appropriate time frame. They will trust you as much as you trust them.

Dangotesmummy must be a wise woman.

If we observe the thread of juvenile delinquency, we would find that most of the kids found wanting are usually kids whose parents are seen as the high-minded personalities of society, and who in raising their kids, had believed that shielding them from the impurities of the world would bestow upon them a halo of sainthood.

But alas! It proved largely counterproductive as it only gave the child the necessity to fan up stratagems in order to evade punishments.

Take away a child's freedom and you turn him into a liar: because he would defy your instruction by visiting his friend, and on returning home, he would be compelled to lie that he went to church or to the local library.

Dum vivimus vivamus.

1 Like

Re: Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child by raumdeuter: 3:00pm On Nov 10, 2016
Mindfulness:

And you think this is not borne out of experience or past misbehavior by some? This post I quoted was followed by two female posters who also said the same thing they will police their kids.

The world outside is bad, Until the child is old enough to handle it . No child under 10 should play anywhere unsupervised, Under 15 needs partial supervision, If you object to those partial supervision then you lose your right to even play at all. Until you are close to adulthood and realize the dangers around and how to protect yourself before you are granted full right

If the options are No protection or Overprotection I will chose to over protect mine

You are using Michael Jackson as an example, Would he not be better than the 13yr old who due to lack of supervision joined gangs in SOuth Chicago and was killed?

Since you used the extreme of Michael Jackson, I will tell you point blank that I will rather have a child grow up to be Michael Jackson than grow up to be a teenage gang member getting shot or jailed and ruined for the rest of his life

I will chose a socially awkward adult than one damaged by crime as a result of no protection

All those geeks and billionaires like Zuckerberg Bill Gates are socially awkward even as adults but way better than their agemates who started shooting up heroin as teenagers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

GOD Save Our Girls (pad Now Sells For 500 ) / Im Married But In Love With Another Man / My Husband Won't Accept Our Son's Disability

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.