Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:13 AM

Vacuum Looms In Judiciary As Buhari Yet To Accept Recommendation Of New CJN.. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Vacuum Looms In Judiciary As Buhari Yet To Accept Recommendation Of New CJN.. (13411 Views)

Yusuf Buhari Yet To Regain His Speech, As Doctors Discover Additional Injuries. / Trump Has Not Called President Buhari Yet / Blame FG, Governors For Corruption In Judiciary- CJN, Justice Mahmud Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Vacuum Looms In Judiciary As Buhari Yet To Accept Recommendation Of New CJN.. by Remii(m): 9:53am On Nov 07, 2016
kcnwaigbo:
I think its time for the Senate to amend the relevant section of the constitution that gave the president powers to forward the name of the new CJN to the Senate or swear him in!!! That provision is not really necessary
because of pmb alone or for future presidents too? I guess we should just go presidentless and run paliamentary instead of making president ineffectual

1 Like

Re: Vacuum Looms In Judiciary As Buhari Yet To Accept Recommendation Of New CJN.. by onomeasike: 9:59am On Nov 07, 2016
kcnwaigbo:

Sorry your baba does not get chose the new CJN, rather the NJC does
Are you sure that you can read?

1 Like

Re: Vacuum Looms In Judiciary As Buhari Yet To Accept Recommendation Of New CJN.. by blackpanda: 10:05am On Nov 07, 2016
[s]
kcnwaigbo:

He does not make any choice, his role is ceremonial just in the same way the CJN swears him in.The CJN cannot say he will not swear in the president-elect because he dosent like his face.Likewise the president cannot say he will not forward the name of the CJN- designate to the Senate. It is an impeachable offence.Worst thing that will happen will be the Senate stripping him of the powers to forward the names of the CJN to them

The constitution says he will forward the name to the Senate. It does not give him the powers to reject any name. We might be heading for another doctrine of necessity in the swearing in of the next CJN
[/s]

Why do people just manufacture laws and then recycle it as if there is any atom of truth in it. The law is not what u wish it to be. The law is what it is. The CJN is appointed by the President on recommendation of NJC. There is nothing in law that says the President must appoint any particular candidate. If fact the NJC can forward as many candidates for the President to select; and that provision will not have been violated. Pls stick to fact not manufactured fantasies.

2 Likes

Re: Vacuum Looms In Judiciary As Buhari Yet To Accept Recommendation Of New CJN.. by nwaanambra1(m): 10:12am On Nov 07, 2016
modath:

Meaning?

The new CJN is not going to be anyone else but Justice Onnoghen, anything short of this... lipsrsealed

I dearly hope he will not listen to the trio of demons (Kyari, Daura & Babachir) who are hellbent on "helping him mess up" the favour the gods have bestowed on him & the faith Nigerians have reposed in him... They are not the president, good or bad, it's his name on the line..

In all of his tribunal waka, Justice Onnoghen has stood with with him... He should 'menba dat!!

modath i dont like the tune of your voice!

pls i beg you in the name of the gods of our land dont get frustrated with baba!

cause if you do, that will mean the end of our collective stress!

dont worry that judge will be appointed the new CJN undecided
Re: Vacuum Looms In Judiciary As Buhari Yet To Accept Recommendation Of New CJN.. by PentiumProf: 10:22am On Nov 07, 2016
Is buhari a goat
Only a goat can reason the way he does
Re: Vacuum Looms In Judiciary As Buhari Yet To Accept Recommendation Of New CJN.. by ndcide(m): 10:33am On Nov 07, 2016
We all know buhari is thinking of how to bypass this man and put a malam as CJN.

Hope they don't kill him.
Re: Vacuum Looms In Judiciary As Buhari Yet To Accept Recommendation Of New CJN.. by fuad99: 10:48am On Nov 07, 2016
I don't no why some of us could decide to be so myopic in reasoning.... Nothing is complicated in this...If PMB is not satisfied with the nominated CJN he can reject and ask the council to forward another name...That is why he is commander in chief

1 Like

Re: Vacuum Looms In Judiciary As Buhari Yet To Accept Recommendation Of New CJN.. by Dhugal: 10:58am On Nov 07, 2016
fuad99:
I don't no why some of us could decide to be so myopic in reasoning.... Nothing is complicated in this...If PMB is not satisfied with the nominated CJN he can reject and ask the council to forward another name...That is why he is commander in chief
Commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces,not Federation.
Get educated,cure yourself of ur ignorance.

2 Likes

Re: Vacuum Looms In Judiciary As Buhari Yet To Accept Recommendation Of New CJN.. by july66: 11:27am On Nov 07, 2016
BeeBeeOoh:
• Revealed: President asked ministers to respond to allegations that they sought judgments in favour of APC

By Davidson Iriekpen

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/11/07/vacuum-looms-in-judiciary-as-buhari-yet-to-accept-recommendation-of-new-cjn/
It may be difficult to confirm him because he is not from the catchment area.
Re: Vacuum Looms In Judiciary As Buhari Yet To Accept Recommendation Of New CJN.. by donborg(m): 11:34am On Nov 07, 2016
Oblang:

Says who. The president can actually reject their nomination and ask for another. He can't just appoint without the NJC..

But the NJC can only recommend the most senior justice in the judiciary and that has been their tradition for over 50 years....... and justice onnoghen is the most senior justice available.
Buhari's hands are tied. The only way for him is to blackmail justice onnoghen with corruption in order to make him resign or to approve him. cest fini
Re: Vacuum Looms In Judiciary As Buhari Yet To Accept Recommendation Of New CJN.. by TheAdvocate(m): 11:39am On Nov 07, 2016
sarrki:

He makes the final choice

He approves, while NJC recommend

He can ONLY approve what was RECOMMENDED
Re: Vacuum Looms In Judiciary As Buhari Yet To Accept Recommendation Of New CJN.. by TheAdvocate(m): 11:42am On Nov 07, 2016
fuad99:

And NJC can only forward the most senior who is Justice Onnoghen. Its not for the president to decide whether he is comfortable with the candidate or not.
Re: Vacuum Looms In Judiciary As Buhari Yet To Accept Recommendation Of New CJN.. by kcnwaigbo: 11:42am On Nov 07, 2016
DropShot:

Did you read the report?

MY COMMENTS ARE BASED ON THE NIGERIAN CONSTITUTION AND NOT BASED ON A JOURNALIST'S REPORT
Re: Vacuum Looms In Judiciary As Buhari Yet To Accept Recommendation Of New CJN.. by kcnwaigbo: 11:44am On Nov 07, 2016
Oblang:

Says who. The president can actually reject their nomination and ask for another. He can't just appoint without the NJC..

The president cannot reject.It is only the senate that is constitutionally empowered to do .Once the nominee has bee recommended he [b]SHALL [/b]forward the name to the senate.The word [b]SHALL [/b]denotes it is compulsory

1 Like

Re: Vacuum Looms In Judiciary As Buhari Yet To Accept Recommendation Of New CJN.. by TheAdvocate(m): 11:45am On Nov 07, 2016
I am of the very firm view that the judiciary should select and swear its head without recourse to thr President.

We have 3 arms of government and the legislative always choose its head without any recourse to the executive.

I don't see why the head of the judiciary should be subject to the executive for approval and legislative for confirmation. Its ridiculous.
Re: Vacuum Looms In Judiciary As Buhari Yet To Accept Recommendation Of New CJN.. by donborg(m): 11:48am On Nov 07, 2016
fuad99:
He is the commander in chief today because he was elected by majority of Nigerians. The CJN that swore him in did so because of that fact. Likewise the justice onnoghen was recommended by the NJC BECAUSE he is their most senior justice. The NJC have a tradition of appointing their most senior justices for over 50 years so your commander in chief have no other choice than to confirm his appointment becos even if he rejects justice onnoghen 1000 times the NJC will still recommend him again likewise if The CJN refuse to swear in the president elect 1000 times the electorate will still elect him again.

1 Like

Re: Vacuum Looms In Judiciary As Buhari Yet To Accept Recommendation Of New CJN.. by modath(f): 11:57am On Nov 07, 2016
nwaanambra1:

mo i dont like the tune of your voice!

pls i beg you in the name of the gods of our land dont get frustrated with baba!

cause if you do, that will mean the end of our collective stress!

dont worry that judge will be appointed the new CJN undecided

Some things are just tiring & irritating but i get you. smiley

1 Like

Re: Vacuum Looms In Judiciary As Buhari Yet To Accept Recommendation Of New CJN.. by kcnwaigbo: 11:59am On Nov 07, 2016
kahal29:

KC Ooo... This is not attack Oooo but just to say that the President or the Governor can reject the recommendation of the NJC just like Amaechi did in the case of Rivers CJ. Amaechi refused to accept Justice Daisy Okocha that was recommended by NJC.

Because Amaechi did pot have the right to reject the nominee.The NJC discountenanced the rejection and refused to change the nominee
Re: Vacuum Looms In Judiciary As Buhari Yet To Accept Recommendation Of New CJN.. by kcnwaigbo: 12:01pm On Nov 07, 2016
fuad99:

The judiciary arm of government nor their legislative counterpart are not bound by the commands of this your commander-in-chief!!! There are not subservient to him.Each arm exercises its own powers as enshrined by the constitution

1 Like

Re: Vacuum Looms In Judiciary As Buhari Yet To Accept Recommendation Of New CJN.. by Oblang(m): 12:03pm On Nov 07, 2016
kcnwaigbo:

The president cannot reject.It is only the senate that is constitutionally empowered to do .Once the nominee has bee recommended he [b]SHALL [/b]forward the name to the senate.The word [b]SHALL [/b]denotes it is compulsory

U definitely don't understand the part I quoted foru. Its how it is done whoever is the president and ur hatred for pmb is not enough to change it..
Re: Vacuum Looms In Judiciary As Buhari Yet To Accept Recommendation Of New CJN.. by Chiboboski: 3:51pm On Nov 07, 2016
kcnwaigbo:

The constitution does not give the president the powers to reject or nominate anyone else. His role in the appointment of the CJN is purely passive and ceremonial.
Have you ever seen the constitution talk less of reading it? The President can appoint any senior lawyer to be the CJN provided he has the reasons to convince the senate. And what if he chooses a south easterner?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Emmanuel Uduaghan At APC Caucus Meeting (Photos) / Lauretta Onochie: Igbo Leaders Responsible For Insecurity In The South-East / Tinubu And Fashola In Land Scam Worth Billions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.