Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,526 members, 7,770,334 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:32 AM

Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. (59753 Views)

Ten Most Common Laptop Problems And Their Solutions / Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. / Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by miksonics(m): 8:47pm On Oct 30, 2009
YOU CAN POST ALL TYPES OF LAPTOP HARDWARE PROBLEM HERE.

COMMON SYMTOMS WITH LAPTOPS:

KEYBOARD WORKING BUT NOT DETECTED BY MOTHERBOARD (MOBO)
COMING ON NO DISPLAY
NOT POWERING
NOT CHARGING
SURGE ON USB PORT
HANGING
NOT CHARGING
MOUSE POINTER HANGING
ETC

WE WILL HELP WITH FREE ADVICE

UPDATES ON 10/12/2009

AS A GENERAL RULE FAKE ADAPTERS MAKE YOUR LAPTOPS HANG DURING BOOT UP. TO TEST, IF YOUR SYSTEM STOP FREEZING WHEN THE ADAPTOR IS REMOVED BE SURE ITS THE ADAPTOR, GET AN ORIGINAL ADAPTOR TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE.

ON HP MACHINES: ANY HP PRODUCED ATER 2008, IF IT COMES ON WITH A BLANK SCREEN IT USUALLY GIVE A POST ERROR CODE THROUGH THE CAP-LOCK LIGHT ON KEYBOARD SIDE.

This document pertains to HP Notebook PCs with the HP Startup Support Environment.
On startup, you may see a blank screen. If the diagnostic utilities detect a specific problem with hardware components, the fan turns on, but the screen remains blank. To help identify the cause of the problem, various LED lights on the keyboard blink a series of codes.
The diagnostic utilities use the LEDs near the Num Lock or Caps Lock keys to blink a series of error codes. There is a pause and the pattern repeats continuously at the end of the series of blinks until the error is resolved.
LED Component Error Condition
Blinking battery power LED Battery Insufficient charge on the battery
Blink: 1 - Caps Lock/Num Lock CPU CPU not functional
Blink: 2 - Caps Lock/Num Lock BIOS BIOS corruption failure
Blink: 3 - Caps Lock/Num Lock Memory Module error not functional
Blink: 4 - Caps Lock/Num Lock Graphics Graphics controller not functional
Blink: 5 - Caps Lock/Num Lock System board General system board failure
Blink: 6 - Caps Lock/Num Lock BIOS BIOS authentication failure

Error code explanations
The sections below provide some common explanations for each error code listed in the table above.
Insufficient charge on the battery
If the battery light (which looks like a lightning bolt ) flashes, the battery has insufficient charge to start the computer. To resolve this error, try the following solutions.
•Connect the notebook PC to AC power and attempt to start the computer again.
◦Check the AC adapter to confirm that all of the plugs are securely seated.
◦Determine if the power LED on the AC adapter is lit (if available) to verify that the computer is receiving AC power from the wall outlet.
•If the computer operates on AC power correctly, charge the battery for thirty minutes to one hour and then restart the computer.
NOTE: Charging the battery for this length of time is called "trickle charging". Trickle charging is a continuous constant-current charge at a low rate, which recharges the battery slowly when it is in a deep discharge state. Deep discharge occurs when a battery is left unused for extended periods of time.

CPU not functional
The computer processor (Blink code 1) has stopped functioning properly. Contact HP for assistance.
BIOS corruption failure
If a BIOS corruption error occurs (Blink code 2), you may not even notice the blink codes, because as soon as the computer recognizes the error, it restarts, attempts to recover the BIOS, and then restarts again. You may notice an extra-long startup process as a result, and a message indicating that the BIOS has been recovered may display on startup. If this occurs, update the BIOS on the computer. For more information, refer to the HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS or ROM for Notebooks with Windows Vista support document.
Module error not functional
If you experience a memory failure (Blink code 3), follow the guide in the table below.
If you are using:
Original Memory New Memory
Reseat the memory. If reseating the memory does not resolve the problem, try replacing the memory with new memory. Reseat the memory. If you continue to experience this error code after reseating the memory, the problem may be with the memory itself. Take the new memory out of the computer, put the original memory back into the computer, and then retest it.

If you do not feel comfortable reseating the memory yourself, take the computer to a computer retailer and ask them to reseat it for you.
NOTE: Some memory module errors allow you to start up the computer and the operating system before restarting and displaying the blink code.

Graphics controller not functional
If you experience a graphics controller failure (Blink code 4), contact HP for assistance.
General system board failure
A general system board failure (Blink code 5) is the failure of a component not covered by the other LED error codes. Contact HP for assistance.
BIOS authentication failure
The BIOS authentication error (Blink code 6) is extremely rare. It is the result of a discrepancy between the BIOS and the hardware that is installed on the computer. This error occurs when the BIOS cannot authenticate signatures from the hardware on the system. The purpose of the BIOS authentication is to be sure that no one has tampered with the BIOS on the computer.
If a BIOS authentication failure occurs, the computer automatically performs a BIOS recovery. If the computer does not automatically recover the BIOS, manually perform a BIOS recovery. To manually perform a BIOS recovery, press all four arrow keys at the same time to cause the BIOS to go to the EFI partition to find and recover the current BIOS.

3: YOUR LAPTOP RUNS SLOWER WITH AGE, THIS IS BECAUSE APART FROM RAM AND CPU SPEED THE BOOT UP SPEED AND GENERAL SPEED OF THE LAPTOP STILL DEPENDS ON THE RPM (ROTATION PER MINUTE) OF THE HDD SPINDLE HEAD, THIS MEANS THE ABILITY OF THE HDD TO READ STORED DATA PER SECOND STORED ON IT.THIS ABILITY OF THE HDD DECREASES WITH TIME DUE TO MECHANICAL LAG ON THE ROTATING DISK. TO IMPROVE YOUR HDD READING DEFRAGMENT YOUR HDD REGULARLY.THIS WILL ARRANGE YOUR DATA IN SERIAL FORM AND GROUP SIMILAR FILES IN A WAY ITS EASIER TO READ. TO CHECK READING SPEED LOOK A YOUR PATA OR SATA HDD YOU WILL SEE 5400RPM OR 7200RPM OR FASTER, THEIR PRICES DIFFER WHEN BUYING.

2 Likes

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by kaypinchi(m): 3:28pm On Oct 31, 2009
Pls. help.
What you do about a laptop that give a bluish-grey discharge from the charging port?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by miksonics(m): 4:20pm On Nov 01, 2009
The bluish grey discharge is cause by the oxidation of metallics parts around the port due to fluid or electrical partial contact,have tech wash the main board with thinner or alcohol and check for partially solder joint it should stop and help. thanks
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Yintob: 10:47am On Nov 02, 2009
(1) How can I enable hibernation on my system as it is not showing on the main menu.
(2) My USB ports are not working
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by nnamadi: 2:10pm On Nov 02, 2009
Hi milksonics,
I have an IBM pent 3 thinkpad,my DVD rom does not recognise any type of Cd only DVD's.what do ido?
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Mbaegbu: 12:32pm On Nov 06, 2009
urgent help is needed for my laptop.

1. my compaq laptop cannot see its dvd drive. ( vista OS)

i have checked the the driver software and the computer says it is running properly but i cannot see it in the my computer . if i put cd into it , the light at the driver slot glows but the cd wiil not play.

plz tell me how to repair it.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by marcar(m): 12:42pm On Nov 06, 2009
I want to know where i can download free antivirus for my laptop am using HP 6730S , i will really be glad if any one can help me out asap
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by 4llerbe(m): 2:50pm On Nov 06, 2009
Free.avg.com
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Digriz(m): 2:58pm On Nov 06, 2009
I have a dell laptop wt a space for sim card bt dnt knw hw to make use of it or wat its made for.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by usherroyal(m): 4:42pm On Nov 06, 2009
pls can anyone helpme on how toget acorrect laptop?then how can iconfigure it for free browsing pls let the so call computer gurus in to help me usherroyal@yahoo.com
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by NetWrks(m): 7:06pm On Nov 07, 2009
Pls, I don't know if you can help me out with this problem.
I have a two gig LG flash that contains the information of
websites clients and other projects. I suddenly cannot access it.
Each time i insert in into the USB port the response I get
is 'USB Device Not Recognized'.

This problem started recently and I urgently need to retrieve
the data in it in order to not to tarnish my image with my clients.

Pls, do you have an idea of what the problem is and how to
get the data in the flash disc?
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Digriz(m): 7:30pm On Nov 07, 2009
Am equally experiencing d sem prob wt my LG flash and it nw seems dat d are fake flash drives.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Digriz(m): 7:31pm On Nov 07, 2009
Am equally experiencing d sem prob wt my LG flash and it nw seems dat d are fake flash drives.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 10:33pm On Nov 07, 2009
miksonics (m)
NIGERIA

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice.
« #4 on: November 01, 2009, 04:20 PM »

The bluish grey discharge is cause by the oxidation of metallics parts around the port due to fluid or electrical partial contact,have tech wash the main board with thinner or alcohol and check for partially solder joint it should stop and help. thanks

The Motherboard need changing because the DC and  USB port are mounted on the motherboard. if the above suggestion work.

The USB Ports is likely to fail because of static discharge. apart from that best bet is to change the Mobo

Good luck however
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 10:40pm On Nov 07, 2009
Pls, I don't know if you can help me out with this problem.
I have a two gig LG flash that contains the information of
websites clients and other projects. I suddenly cannot access it.
Each time i insert in into the USB port the response I get
is 'USB Device Not Recognized'.

This problem started recently and I urgently need to retrieve
the data in it in order to not to tarnish my image with my clients.

Pls, do you have an idea of what the problem is and how to
get the data in the flash disc?

We would appreciate it if you can tell us make and model of your computer as this will speed up
getting you replies from tecs. right the fact that you"re getting that message means your computer ports

are working ok if it isn't then you wouldn't get that message. am clear ?

Is down to a software problem. does the stick came with any software disk

Try checking LG website for driver/firmware update

Hold down windows logo + E on your keyboard

you will get a box that says C HARD DRIVE DVD RW

What else can you see in there ?

Hold down Microsoft logo + R

A box should pop up Run

Type in there devmgmt.msc

and look universal serial bus controller

do you have a exclamation there

more than likely double click on the yellow sign please

and tell us what it says e.g. code number or it might

says this device is working properly

Good luck however
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 10:44pm On Nov 07, 2009
Digriz

« #14 on: Today at 07:31:53 PM »

Follow the above instructions. Good luck
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 10:46pm On Nov 07, 2009
usherroyal

« #11 on: Yesterday at 04:42:47 PM »

pls can anyone helpme on how toget acorrect laptop?then how can iconfigure it for pls let the so call computer gurus in to help me usherroyal@yahoo.com

I'm afraid that isn't telling me anything. be specific please. Good luck however
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 10:47pm On Nov 07, 2009
Digriz

« #10 on: Yesterday at 02:58:48 PM »

I have a dell laptop wt a space for sim card bt dnt knw hw to make use of it or wat its made for.

What is the make & model of the laptop in question ? XP or Vista ? Good luck however
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 10:54pm On Nov 07, 2009
Mbaegbu

« #7 on: Yesterday at 12:32:41 PM »

urgent help is needed for my laptop.

1. my compaq laptop cannot see its dvd drive. ( vista OS)

i have checked the the driver software and the computer says it is running properly but i cannot see it in the my computer . if i put cd into it , the light at the driver slot glows but the cd wiil not play.

plz tell me how to repair it.

Follow Busayo's advice

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-348228.0.html

Good luck however
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 10:58pm On Nov 07, 2009
nnamadi

« #6 on: November 02, 2009, 02:10 PM »

Hi milksonics,
I have an IBM pent 3 thinkpad,my DVD rom does not recognise any type of Cd only DVD's.what do ido?
Thanks

To proffer advice/diagnostics we need to know what type operating system. XP or Vista ?
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 11:08pm On Nov 07, 2009
Yintob

« #5 on: November 02, 2009, 10:47 AM »

(1) How can I enable hibernation on my system as it is not showing on the main menu.
(2) My USB ports are not working

1) This behavior can happen if you have used disk clean up

XP or Vista ? since I don't have this information I"ll be going

for XP due to it's popularity. right,

Hold down Windows logo + R then you will get a box

type in there[b] cmd[/b] press enter then powercfg /hibernate on

@My USB ports are not working

What happened when you plugged in something ?

Any notifications or errors

Good luck however
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 11:10pm On Nov 07, 2009
Yintob

Forgot to mention. after you typed in powercfg /hibernate on  you need to restart

your computer for changes to take effect. Good luck however
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by demiqueen(f): 11:23pm On Nov 07, 2009
Help! My DELL Latitude D630 laptop is not charging. It goes off anytime NEPA takes light and when I try to put it back on,it restarts all over again.
What do I do?
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by takeitall: 11:43pm On Nov 07, 2009
i have a problem with my system,have just got an internet connection and when am on line the web pages normally hang and sometimes i would have to restart my system.i use the home edition of avast,with a 224ram,80gig hard disk,996MHz.please give me
advice on what to do to make my being on line stable and problem free.thanks.i use a desktop computer.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 11:43pm On Nov 07, 2009
demiqueen (f)
Lagos
demiqueen

« #24 on: Today at 11:23:36 PM »

Help! My DELL Latitude D630 laptop is not charging. It goes off anytime NEPA takes light and when I try to put it back on,it restarts all over again.
What do I do?

When Nepa takes light laptop should remian ON without turning itself off unless you are just running on charger

The reason that being is because laptop has a built in memory cell that stores current so if Nepa

were to take light your laptop will should remain operational. right here is your diags

Pop out the battery, charger and other pheripherals such as printer, speakers etc

make sure nothings is plugged in. This may sound weired but dont be alarm yeah

after everything is out hold your finger down on your laptop power button for 30secs

Doing this will circulate the mother board which is like a car engine and release any static build up

Because the laptop was not shutdown correctly. after 30 sec connet just charge only no battery

turn it back on again then test. if no joy pop battery back in please turn on again and keep pressing

F2 or Delete key until you come to a BIOS SCREEN leave your laptop plugged to mains+battery

as we are verifying if this a hardware or a software problem

Leave it there for 1hr make sure is running through the mains if it keep restarting in a loop withinin an hour

Then you have a faulty laptop if doesn't restart and show sings of stability then is a end user error which is yourself

Having said that would you please check the USB port for any damage/defect as the power cut you had earlier might have caused

surge and damage the usb hence the behaviour. also check your laptop power button is not pushed in

Good luck however
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 11:55pm On Nov 07, 2009
takeitall

« #25 on: Today at 11:43:54 PM »

i have a problem with my system,have just got an internet connection and when am on line the web pages normally hang and sometimes i would have to restart my system.i use the home edition of avast,with a 224ram,80gig hard disk,996MHz.please give me
advice on what to do to make my being on line stable and problem free.thanks.i use a desktop computer.

Hello"

Hold windows logo+ R down on your keyboard please.

should get a Run box

type[b] MSCONFIG [/b]

Look for start up

right hand side look for disable all

or you can untick each items

disable is alot quicker

click apply and ok

prompt to restart click yes

for changes to take effect

now I wouldn't commence further diags

until i know what version of internet you are using

such as Firefox, Opera, Safari just to mention a few

After restart open up your web browser please

and wait till it fully loaded am guessing is internet explorer 6 o 7

Look for help > about internet explorer

what version is this as might explain the behaviour

Do you have norton security software installed ?

does this behaviour happen on all website or is it some

I'm just trying to think out of the box hence the questions

Good luck however
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by takeitall: 1:11am On Nov 08, 2009
The explorer version is 6.0,and recently i wanted to download office on my system,it had gotten to 80% of download and all of a sudden everthing just sized,all i could see was just the background of my o.s. no icon ,no task bar,nothin nothing.i had to restart,with the regret of unsuccessful download.please what could have been the problem.somebody told me that the ram on my system which is 224 is low to my hard disk which is 80gig.please is this also true.thanks for your assistance
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by takeitall: 1:17am On Nov 08, 2009
i dont have norton antivirus on my system,and the hanging of web pages does not occur to all pages.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by takeitall: 1:25am On Nov 08, 2009
The home edition of avast antivirus on my system has never detected any virus since have been online.please could it be this avast is not functioning.thanks for your advise.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Digriz(m): 3:48am On Nov 08, 2009
@deji
Continuation of my earlier post.
I dnt knw wat d space for sim card in my laptop used for.
The laptop is Dell inspiron 1526 windows vista.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by alex0026(m): 8:52am On Nov 08, 2009
Visit me at computerpleasure.com you are sure to get good information to answer your questions.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 9:22pm On Nov 08, 2009
takeitall

« #28 on: Today at 01:11:57 AM »

The explorer version is 6.0,and recently i wanted to download office on my system,it had gotten to 80% of download and all of a sudden everthing just sized,all i could see was just the background of my o.s. no icon ,no task bar,nothin nothing.i had to restart,with the regret of unsuccessful download.please what could have been the problem.somebody told me that the ram on my system which is 224 is low to my hard disk which is 80gig.please is this also true.thanks for your assistance

Minimum requirement for XP is 512MB. while Vista is 1 or 2GB to run effectively without using HDD resources

Your ram is low so the computer is accessing the hard drive for space which usually takes ages hence the problem.

Best bet is to upgrade with more Ram or scan for virus. Good luck however

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Free Proxy List, Web Proxy List, Socks List Download Them As Raw Text Format. / Solid State Drive Vs Sata Hard Drives. Which One Is Better? / **best Solution For Android Phones** Memory Booster - **onguard Cleaner**

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.