Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,470 members, 7,816,115 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:18 AM

Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. - Computers (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. (60112 Views)

Ten Most Common Laptop Problems And Their Solutions / Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. / Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by blackweaver(m): 4:03pm On Dec 07, 2009
mufikings:

Hello,

I use a HP Pavillion with 1 Gig Ram.My challenge is that I make us of lots of heavy programmes cos am into web design and other stuffs.~

These programmes tend to slow my system mostly en am online i.e connected to the internet.I have a Windows vista installed and have been using the laptop for 2 years now.

I would like to know:

1.Can I increase the ram to say 2 Gig, i understand that would make it process faster considering the programmes i have installed.

Murphy.

upgrading to 2gb will not harm ur pc in fact you have been running below capacity before this so by all means do upgrade, in fact if possible
you might make it 3gb - unless your motherboard does not support that but i don't see that happening since it came preinstalled with vista

Busy_body:

The other one refuses to switch on and when it does, all i get is this white screen with a vertical line forming in the side, like it is trying to load

i suspect the problem may be with the laptop screen, do you  have a desktop pc too, if so one thing you could do is connect the monitor to the laptop and put the laptop on again (you might want to get a friend with some technical knowhow to do it for you). If the monitor shows properly then the problem is with your laptop screen; either way you'll probably have to take it to a pc technician to fix
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by saydfact(m): 4:03pm On Dec 07, 2009
I CAN COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT MAJORITY OF PPLE ON NAIRALAND EITHER USE "TOKUNBO LAPTOPS KNEEYOPS" OR , VERY OLD LAPTOPS, U ALL SEEMS TO HAVE PROBLEM WITH UR KNEETOP, LOL, lipsrsealed kiss lipsrsealed
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Busybody2(f): 4:08pm On Dec 07, 2009
blackweaver:

upgrading to 2gb will not harm your pc in fact you have been running below capacity before this so by all means do

i suspect the problem may be with the laptop screen, do you  have a desktop pc too, if so one thing you could do is connect the monitor to the laptop and put the laptop on again (you might want to get a friend with some technical knowhow to do it for you). If the monitor shows properly then the problem is with your laptop screen; either way you'll probably have to take it to a pc technician to fix

I spoke to some technicians in Barking, and was told to switch the lappie on and wait for around 30 minutes that it would fully come on but then i discovered the second one was doing the same thing sometimes, i dunno, maybe it is some manufacturing hiccup because both were purchased at the same time and started mucking up two months after the warranty expired undecided
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by blackweaver(m): 4:09pm On Dec 07, 2009
vishnu2:

I formatted my laptop hp dv6 pavillion few weeks and have been using it since then without any ant virus installed on it, courtesy of a friend who told me that window defender is same thing as anti virus. Though my system has been doing pretty well(both in speed and browsing) since then without any hitch but i still nurse the feeling that i may be subjecting the system to its untimely breakdown by viruses.
Please could the idea of using window defender in the place of anti virus be true or am i making a big mistake? Your well informed and professional advice is highly needed.

you need an antivirus i don't trust windows defender and you need to update your antivirus regularly too. the fact that you haven't seen any slow down does not mean your pc is not already infected and i dont know how often windows defender updates
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Pharoh: 4:11pm On Dec 07, 2009
tipsydude:

@ Topic

mine ain't more of a problem than a challenge. am using d Macbook Air by Apple and I really need 2 get MS Office suite on it so I can view word docs sent 2 me. I would also like 2 install windows on it so I could run both OS simultaneously i.e. Mac and Windows.

You need apple bootcamp brother and if you want to use office on the mac then get microsoft office for mac. Here are some links to help you sha

http://download.cnet.com/Apple-Boot-Camp/3000-18513_4-93144.html?tag=mncol

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=545748

But i think the air does not have an optical drive right?

You can also get boot camp from the utilities menu in your mac

Busy_body:

With the first one, sometimes it just switches off and switches itself on again, and then says something about microsoft detecting a problem ; bluescreen, whilst the problem about getting the white screen when i switch the second one sometimes happens to the first one too, can i just link you up somewhere to drop them off to you abeg, i don't trust myself with taking the batteries off, i don't even know where the batteries are to start with embarassed

The battery is at the back of the laptop and i think you installed something recently thats not compatible with your windows hence the blue screen. So tell us the message for your blue screen so we can give the right solution.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by blackweaver(m): 4:12pm On Dec 07, 2009
Busy_body:

I spoke to some technicians in Barking, and was told to switch the lappie on and wait for around 30 minutes that it would fully come on but then i discovered the second one was doing the same thing sometimes, i dunno, maybe it is some manufacturing hiccup because both were purchased at the same time and started mucking up two months after the warranty expired undecided

wow, looks like they set u up anyway if u know a techie you can trust give him/her to look them over for you
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Busybody2(f): 4:20pm On Dec 07, 2009
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-258665.0.html

that's the exact type, the red one is the most problematic one, the black one is still manageable, I even went to PC world but was told to ring Dell who wants to charge £400 each before doing anything cry

And i know i got shafted bigtime because i requested and paid for the 9-hour battery and it barely lasts 2 hours before needing to power them up again, i also paid for some useless nvidia storage that i have never used angry
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Busybody2(f): 4:25pm On Dec 07, 2009
Pharoh:

The battery is at the back of the laptop and i think you installed something recently thats not compatible with your windows hence the blue screen. So tell us the message for your blue screen so we can give the right solution.

It is not the screen that is blue per se, its this message that comes on after it switches itself off and on that says PROBLEM ; Blue screen, then asks if i want to report problem to Microsoft undecided Sometimes it freezes whilst in use and then the screen gets fuzzy for about a minute and then it returns to normal, and this happens on both laptop, i think i got shafted for real embarassed I will arrange for Deji2009 or anyone of you to pick it up and see what can be done with it
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by aladesuyi(m): 4:28pm On Dec 07, 2009
hello house. u guys are doing a nice job here by helping with laptops.
But i have a problem with my toshiba laptop.
1. when powered on the system (screen) does not display anything, where as the on on button displays light which means the system is on but the screen doesn't come up.
Pls assist
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by mufikings(m): 4:30pm On Dec 07, 2009
blackweaver:

upgrading to 2gb will not harm your pc in fact you have been running below capacity before this so by all means do upgrade, in fact if possible
you might make it 3gb - unless your motherboard does not support that but i don't see that happening since it came preinstalled with vista

Thank you for the info, but do you have an idea what this will cost, and how to know a good one, also were to get one.

Murphy.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by omega25red(m): 4:37pm On Dec 07, 2009
aladesuyi:

hello house. u guys are doing a nice job here by helping with laptops.
But i have a problem with my toshiba laptop.
1. when powered on the system (screen) does not display anything, where as the on on button displays light which means the system is on but the screen doesn't come up.
Pls assist

Try this press and hold the Fn key while you press either[b] F8 [/b] or F3 or F4 one of these should work for you.
press the first wait to see what happens then go to the second and so on
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by tipsydude(m): 4:44pm On Dec 07, 2009
@ Pharoh

Tnx dude 4 d prompt response. I hav located d bootcamp stuff in my utilities folder and am on it right now. I really appreciate ur response. And the macbook air possesses the optical drive. will be back if i need further assistance.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by omega25red(m): 4:48pm On Dec 07, 2009
Busy_body:

It is not the screen that is blue per se, its this message that comes on after it switches itself off and on that says PROBLEM ; Blue screen, then asks if i want to report problem to Microsoft undecided Sometimes it freezes whilst in use and then the screen gets fuzzy for about a minute and then it returns to normal, and this happens on both laptop, i think i got shafted for real embarassed I will arrange for Deji2009 or anyone of you to pick it up and see what can be done with it

sorry if im getting this wrong but if you are getting a blue screen or a blue message you should start your computer in safe mode. this can be done by pressing the F8 key right before you see the windows logo and select safemode with networking. Then you want to use a flash drive to download a program called Malwarebytes. install it then run it. This might work because if you have been online with your computer and it is coming up with a blue message either you have a virus with a warning message banner or your operating system is currupted in which case you might need to reinstall windows.

Also i think i saw something that said you upgraded to 2gb of RAM? if that is correct you should try removing one of the RAM stcks and boot up to see if you get a stable boot because sometimes the RAM sticks would present stability problems with your windows system because of one reason or the the other
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Pharoh: 4:50pm On Dec 07, 2009
tipsydude:

@ Pharoh

Tnx dude 4 d prompt response. I hav located d bootcamp stuff in my utilities folder and am on it right now. I really appreciate your response. And the macbook air possesses the optical drive. will be back if i need further assistance.

Okay good to hear and i think you will need a windows xp or windows vista/7 cd handy with you. You will also need blank cd's or the cd's giving to you by apple to install the drivers for the windows partition.

The following links should be of help to you.

http://lifehacker.com/384256/have-your-mac-and-windows-too-with-boot-camp

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_install_windows_xp_on_my_mac_using_boot_camp_1.html

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/boot_camp_install-setup.pdf
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by aladesuyi(m): 4:59pm On Dec 07, 2009
still no response after pressing the function keys (f8 - ist for some mins.,F3 AND F4 respectively)
pls any other thing dat i can also do?
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by tinutayo1: 5:13pm On Dec 07, 2009
my laptop (hp 530) keyboard is no more responding. pls whats the solution to this problem
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Busybody2(f): 5:14pm On Dec 07, 2009
omega25red:

sorry if im getting this wrong but if you are getting a blue screen or a blue message you should start your computer in safe mode. this can be done by pressing the F8 key right before you see the windows logo and select safemode with networking. Then you want to use a flash drive to download a program called Malwarebytes. install it then run it. This might work because if you have been online with your computer and it is coming up with a blue message either you have a virus with a warning message banner or your operating system is currupted in which case you might need to reinstall windows.

Also i think i saw something that said you upgraded to 2gb of RAM? if that is correct you should try removing one of the RAM stcks and boot up to see if you get a stable boot because sometimes the RAM sticks would present stability problems with your windows system because of one reason or the the other

I don't even know where the battery is located to remove it and you are telling me to remove one of the ramstick, lol, you people are overestimating my intelligence sha  tongue cheesy Its all good cheesy grin cheesy

I just found this whilst browsing online, guess thats the problem i am having too cry I give up cry

http://www.trustedreviews.com/laptops/review/2007/10/11/Dell-XPS-M1330/comments

[b]The XPS m1330 and m1530 are great notebooks. Sadly, however, I would caution against buying the xps m1330 or any other laptop (from Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or Apple) that comes with the faulty Nvidia m8400 or m8600 graphics. Nvidia has finally admitted that there a problem involving "a weak die/packaging material set" in their GPUs (see http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1215037160521.html).

These laptops are dying at an alarming rate. Mine died 3 times in the last 10 months. In each case the GPU was the cause and the "fix" was a motherboard replacement. The problem is that there is no guarantee that the replacement will last!

DEll and other manufacturers have offered graphics drivers and bios updates that cause the system fans to run more frequently thereby delaying the failure. However, they are yet to address the real problem which is faulty hardware. HP has offered free warranty extension for affected systems but other manufacturers including Dell are yet to follow.

There are hundreds of articles like this one (http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/26/dell-explains-nvidia-gpu-issues-throws-out-bios-updates-to-help/) that describe the problem. There are even videos on YouTube showing XPS m1330 dying (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkw47rprZU8).

So keep an eye for updates on this saga. In the mean time stay clear of affected laptop models and configurations until the manufacturers own up to the problem and recall or offer upgrades for affected systems.
[/b]
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by jaybee3(m): 5:16pm On Dec 07, 2009
^^
drop the stuffs off with deji na. or u want make i come collect am?
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by tipsydude(m): 5:19pm On Dec 07, 2009
@ Pharoh

Tnx 4 all ur assistance. I really appreciate it. There is one other lil' issue. Each I put on the Mac, I have to connect to my network in the house manually via Network Diagnostics unlike my bro's window's lappie that stays connected to the network always. I have gone thru d network settings but can't find anything that I have to do to make it stay connected.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Busybody2(f): 5:20pm On Dec 07, 2009
yay, this was the problem i was trying to describe, only that I couldn't understand the greek i was writing talkless of it making sense to any of you guys, sorry for torturing you guys, lol grin

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/26/dell-explains-nvidia-gpu-issues-throws-out-bios-updates-to-help/

[b]I started having video problems on my XPSM1330 (loaded) where I'd see video shutdowns, and system crashes. I called Dell Support, and they tried flashing my BIOS. This was about a month ago. Since my problems had already started the NVIDIA was already on its way to failure, so as Dell said on the blog, flashing BIOS will not correct existing problems. As time went on the video problems worsened and let to what ended up being a perma-screen saver. Vertical lines that constantly changed colors came up each time I booted the pc. At first those lines would disappear after 3-5 minutes but then after a day or two they became constant. My baby was a brick. I called Dell and thank god for extended support. They had to come to the house, and replace the entire motherboard. Once it was swapped out everything worked properly. I found it interesting the tech did not flash my bios on the new motherboard. I just did it. Keeping fingers crossed! Poopoo on faulty products. If this is what others are experiencing, good luck if this happens out of warranty. There will be alot of pretty laptops in the trash and alot of grumpy (former) Dell customers.[/b]
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by joeyfire(m): 5:21pm On Dec 07, 2009
@poster

great initiative and really nice of you too. I just noticed that whenever i play DVD's the picture comes up but there's no sound. But whenever i play audio and some DVD's there's sound. Simple sounding but i've been every where trying to solve it
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Busybody2(f): 5:24pm On Dec 07, 2009
jay bee:

^^
drop the stuffs off with deji na. or u want make i come collect am?

For real, I will take you up on your offer oh or will plummel you with my omorogun if you refuse cheesy Please can you fix for real, paid around £2.5k for the two cos I was trying to love-vendor it up with the best hardwares/softwares, and i can't afford to junk them like that embarassed I will pay you the going rate for the repair too smiley

But wait let me try and remove the batteries first and the ramstick as adviced by omega25 red, who knows I might even surpass myself and be able to BIOS and FLASH it like mentioned tooand fix the problem myself tongue tongue tongue
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by jaybee3(m): 5:27pm On Dec 07, 2009
u and dis your omorogun sef.
I get one guy wey just finish ihm elect elect eng degree wey dey work for me 4 work. he is hungry so lemme know how u get on.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Busybody2(f): 5:29pm On Dec 07, 2009
^^^ I am really serious here, and from what I read from those links, i think its the motherboard that needs replacing so if you are game, hit me up on YIM with the necessary contact details please kiss I might even bring it along to one of your saturday football to show you and dazzle you with my skills on the football pitch grin grin grin
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by jaybee3(m): 5:34pm On Dec 07, 2009
pray it's not motherboard sha cos if it is then no point.
cost of changing motherboard is equaivalent to price of a new dell laptop.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Busybody2(f): 5:50pm On Dec 07, 2009
This was what the chap below said na cry So you mean I have no choice that to kiss my beloved lappie goodbye, guess i should just go and cough up for one of those netbooks then cry cry cry

Busy_body:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/26/dell-explains-nvidia-gpu-issues-throws-out-bios-updates-to-help/

[size=14pt][. . .  I called Dell and thank god for extended support. They had to come to the house, and replace the entire motherboard. Once it was swapped out everything worked properly. I found it interesting the tech did not flash my bios on the new motherboard. I just did it.[/b][/size]
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by switchmax8: 6:20pm On Dec 07, 2009
miksonic,
sometimes while am working on my laptop it will just go off and restart itself though the laptop came with vista but i changed it to xp any help on this will be appreciated
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by omega25red(m): 6:38pm On Dec 07, 2009
switchmax8:

miksonic,
sometimes while am working on my laptop it will just go off and restart itself though the laptop came with vista but i changed it to xp any help on this will be appreciated

check your update settings because on xp if you dont have the computer prompt you before it restarts after an update it will just do it so check your update settings. which should be in control panel
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by omega25red(m): 6:40pm On Dec 07, 2009
aladesuyi:

still no response after pressing the function keys (f8 - ist for some mins.,F3 AND F4 respectively)
pls any other thing dat i can also do?

i guess it would be helpful to know when this started. Did it start when you changed the setting on the monitor?? do you at least see the windows logo before it goes dark?? has it ever worked before??
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Grizzly(m): 7:07pm On Dec 07, 2009
I know its Christmas, but i didnt tell my laptop to act as christmas light.
My laptop now automatically juggles my battery options (hp optimized and hp high performance) for whatever reason, i dont know.
The result is a blinking effect, (bright, dull, bright)
It comes on like on ac power then goes dim and so on
Please help sad
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by yeswecan(m): 7:30pm On Dec 07, 2009
There is a message on my desktop YOU MAY BE A VICTIM OF SOFTWARE COUNTERFEITING,  any advice?
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by chrischima(m): 7:57pm On Dec 07, 2009
Hey Guys, i am Using Hp Pavillion dv6000, On start Up a message that goes like this normally comes up, HPWAMain Module has stopped working, please what do i do for this system to stop displaying that message, i need assitance plssssssss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Grade A USA Used Probook 640 Core I5 For Sale. / Free Proxy List, Web Proxy List, Socks List Download Them As Raw Text Format. / Solid State Drive Vs Sata Hard Drives. Which One Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.