Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,673 members, 7,823,899 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:47 PM

Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka (36698 Views)

Wole Soyinka And Chimamanda Adichie At The Felabration 2019, Pictured Together / Wole Soyinka With Founding Members Of Pyrate In 1952 (Throwback Photo) / Oretunlewa Soyinka Marries Nneka Ekechukwu, Igbo Girl (Pre-Wedding Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by AMUNSI23(f): 1:22pm On Nov 13, 2016
Iam tired of this zoo of a man called prof:You contributed to whAt nigerians are passing through now.you run hide in america and want to teach them your stupid lifestyle,do not worry cos soon Trump will blow his trumpet
Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by basadenet: 1:27pm On Nov 13, 2016
America na your country, you better before they bundle you out.
Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by eROCK247(m): 1:34pm On Nov 13, 2016
lifestyle1:
See grammer. He speak English pass oyinbo sef grin

Abeg guys support my girl on Instagram by liking her twerk dance video to help her win. Check link on my signature.

Thanks.

U r seriously advertising her TWERK video? Maybe it's jst ur colleague sha cos if she's YOUR GAL...
Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by Nobody: 1:42pm On Nov 13, 2016
21Savagw:
Just Shut the fvck up and get out of my country...New York could use one less Idiot...Buhari asslicker.
ur adopted country.no matter ow many years u spend there.u re still to be counted as an immigrant and second citizen
and when trump starts to deport u guys,i hope u havnt fumbled to ur relations at home

1 Like

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by Nobody: 1:46pm On Nov 13, 2016
AMUNSI23:
Iam tired of this zoo of a man called prof:You contributed to whAt nigerians are passing through now.you run hide in america and want to teach them your stupid lifestyle,do not worry cos soon Trump will blow his trumpet
that zoo of a man is one of the most recognised personality in d whole of africa,not only in nigeria.he put africa on d world map in his chosen field
better to be a recognised zoo than a lifeless,hopeless,pathless human being

1 Like

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by DedeNkem: 1:49pm On Nov 13, 2016
richidinho:
Why is soyinka disturbing people upandan?

We've heard of great men in this world, is this how they behaved before they died?

Isaac Newton
Michael Faraday
Yaw Ababio
Mungo park

Why our thing dey always dey different grin

Soyinka kor .... Soyabeans ni

Your rant has no base.
Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by MrShine(m): 1:57pm On Nov 13, 2016
[b][/b] shocked grin
abeg was I the only one who saw this
'his imbecillic harangues...'
grin
Prof Prof....continue

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by Nobody: 2:01pm On Nov 13, 2016
linearity:
One of the major reason the Nigeria government has not sit up is because, no Nigerian is willing to take the fight to the government and organize peaceful disobedience even if it means dying in the process, but in the US many are willing to do it.
That's one thing I envy about the muslims. They have that to their credit. They have proved themselves far better at using Facebook and Twitter for political purposes (even far better than the Westerners), for getting themselves organised to take on the authorities. Isn't that what Nigerians should be using social networking for too rather than posting endless pictures of drunk people at parties?

There is a film called Idiocracy where the IQ of the human race has suffered a catastrophic decline and complete idiots are running the planet. Let's face it, the world is already run by idiots, but things could get even worse. The internet is certainly capable of giving birth to a real Idiocracy, especially in our country. If you ever glance at internet lists of "what's trending?" you will never see anything remotely inspirational, philosophical, scientific, spiritual, creative, activist or artistic. Invariably, top ten lists reflect celebrity culture. We are obsessed with the latest snippets regarding top pop stars, actors and sports stars.

Anything Wizkid does soars immediately to number one in the list. His words and deeds have, seemingly, infinite importance to his legions of fans. Have they really got nothing better to do with their time than read a pop star's tweets on Twitter? What is Twitter other than "literature" for retards - for people with zero attention span, and zero intelligence? How many of the myriad of tweets have real content? If Twitter were turning people into experts in aphorisms - into reflecting the world in a few perfectly chosen words like the best of poetry, philosophy or political activism - it would be fantastic. Instead, it is nothing but bland, banal, dumb observations reflecting the first thought that comes into someon'e head. There's no quality control. The instant nature of the medium, its immediacy, its unmediated rawness - these are all applauded by its fans. But these are not unambiguous "good" things. Where is the pause for self-reflection, for working out something profound that you want to say? What's the point of splurging out random thoughts? What's that going to achieve? For sad, lonely people (extraverts in particular who hate their own company), it gives them the illusion that they are in contact with others, that they are part of something exciting, something that never sleeps. Yet 99.9% of it is worthless. A Latin epigram of one of the sayings of Pythagoras is: "Aut tace aut loquere meliora silentio", meaning "Either be silent or say something better than silence." What would happen if they put that on the front page of Twitter? Would the cyber world fall silent? If only...

Facebook too is almost entirely devoid of worth. Millions of people stare at pictures and exchange bad jokes and gossip (while doing nothing about the burning nation). Is that the best we can do? Where is the Facebook for philosophical exchange, for sharing the latest scientific breakthroughs, for political activism, for changing the government, for analysing the economy, for discussing techniques for the psychological transformation of society? Where is the spiritual Facebook, the intellectual and cultural Facebook? Sure, someone starts a campaign about something serious every now and again but the essence of Facebook is shallow narcissism, mindless chatter, inane preening and posturing. The culture of Facebook is "too cool for school". Too dumb, more like.

These guys ain't doing shiit to call the government out on its failings anytime soon. You can count on it.

1 Like

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by Nobody: 2:04pm On Nov 13, 2016
gesundheit:

The poverty in Nigeria have start having neurological effect on some Godforsaken neanderthal. One day you will escape the glass ceiling of stupidity and penury.
grin grin grin
Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by BobUg28(m): 2:47pm On Nov 13, 2016
maasoap:

And if he decides to fulfil his campaign promises, what will you say again?

The feasibility of fulfilling such promises are far from reach. Don't forget that the world is a global village.
Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by AJJ17(m): 3:13pm On Nov 13, 2016
frenchwine:

Dude I give it to you on your ability to play with words but hey! You shouldn't touch politics with a barge pole cos you always make a mockery of yourself.
Just like the typical Yoruba, dude is a two faced double-speak loudmouthed mor.on who chickens out when the chips are down.
Just got take a look at what he said above, it represents exactly what he helped to foister on Nigerians then he used his privilege to run off to utopia. Who does that? Pls don't come home, bugger off to the UK

Everyone for himself first before being a yoruba or a Nigerian.That being said,Castigating someone for supporting a political party into power is very much uncalled for, especially when you used words like ''dude is a two faced double-speak loudmouthed mor.on'' for someone old enough to be your dad regard less of his achievements of which I am sure you are not in anyway near. You also cannot look into the Prof.'s eye and say these gibberish you typed,you are just an example of a kettle calling pot black,you are Flat head Coward too.
We all know as Nigerians, what Mr Trump stood for during his campaign and I am sure a sane person in Africa (black + Muslims)would not want to associate with that.
Prof. Wole came out to say what he said thinking peeps with their right IQ would not want someone like Trump to lead them especially in a County like America but was shocked just like almost everybody else in the world including you,Flat head.If you decide to continue to crucify him for not tearing up his green card then you are just plain stupid, sorry. wink
Haven't you ever changed your mind on anything? If you haven't, then you must be a very strange person.
Also remember he who cannot change his mind cannot change the world.

1 Like

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by lifestyle1(m): 3:33pm On Nov 13, 2016
eROCK247:

U r seriously advertising her TWERK video? Maybe it's jst ur colleague sha cos if she's YOUR GAL...

Lol grin
Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by moshino(m): 4:24pm On Nov 13, 2016
mightyhazel:
how will u explain a gentleman like prof,abusing and trading words (like a woman) with a woman young enuf 2 be his daughter in the last admin.

How about turning around 2 canvass for support for baba daura, sb he has always vehemently opposed his candidature when evth was still fine (for obvious reasons,...reasons wich are abundantly manifesting itself in today's nigeria)

Now I see, you obviously do not comprehend fully what "SENILE" means. In your world, anyone that has a contrary opinion from you, is "SENILE", now who is really "SENILE", you or Prof Wole Soyinka. Every stand he has ever taken, he has always fully explained his rational for that stand/opinion, even when it put his life in danger, even when he has nothing personal to gain, even when that opinion is not popular, that is Character, that is the measure of a man. Prof Wole Soyinka started this in his twenties, he did not win the Nobel price, and acquire all the fellowships from world renowned universities because he was/is "SENILE" as you so callously stated. So you, who's supposedly sane and smarter than Prof Soyinka, what have achieved or done for Nigeria and humanity?
Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by mightyhazel: 4:49pm On Nov 13, 2016
moshino:

Now I see, you obviously do not comprehend fully what "SENILE" means. In your world, anyone that has a contrary opinion from you, is "SENILE", now who is really "SENILE", you or Prof Wole Soyinka. Every stand he has ever taken, he has always fully explained his rational for that stand/opinion, even when it put his life in danger, even when he has nothing personal to gain, even when that opinion is not popular, that is Character, that is the measure of a man. Prof Wole Soyinka started this in his twenties, he did not win the Nobel price, and acquire all the fellowships from world renowned universities because he was/is "SENILE" as you so callously stated. So you, who's supposedly sane and smarter than Prof Soyinka, what have achieved or done for Nigeria and humanity?

Whatever rocks your creaky boat mister!

Am not furthering this back and forth with u because doing so will definitely smear the old prof (whom I have respect for what he stood for in his youth and middle age).

Have a nice day
Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by moshino(m): 5:02pm On Nov 13, 2016
mightyhazel:

Whatever rocks your creaky boat mister!

Am not furthering this back and forth with u because doing so will definitely smear the old prof (whom I have respect for what he stood for in his youth and middle age).

Have a nice day

You were the one that called Prof Wole Soyinka "SENILE", that was how this discuss started. But I'm glad you've come back to your senses and given honour to him who richly deserves it. Thanks, and enjoy your day as well. Try not to make the same mistake by insulting an icon like Prof Wole Soyinka, a man whom you've not even earned the privilege of shinning his sandals.
Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by Nobody: 5:18pm On Nov 13, 2016
BobUg28:
Its amazing how most Nigerians act sometimes. They tend to make out problem from what seemed not to be one. Trump said he will evict migrants from the states if elected the US president in one of his campaign promise.

Common sense should have informed Prof that such comments from Trump is a calculated gimmicks to garner the votes of most American Racists.

We agree that Trump is uncouth, radical and name it.. but that's was what sailed him. Remember, this was his first time in the game of politics, he need to make controversial statements that will leave his name in the lips of most Americans .

Trump said he would evict illegal immigrants and not migrants, after-all Trump's wife's is a migrant from Slovenia, and most of the illegal migrants are actually Mexican immigrants that were brought to the US as kids by their parents. Most of them are now over 20 years old. Over 700,000 of them. The ones Obama was trying to pardon since they were brought in as kids.

You also did not get the prof's message. He said trump was not really the problem, but the racist supporters. As it stands in the US now...black votes does not matter, hispanic votes does not matter neither does votes from other minority. This was confirmed by the election. It's similar to how the SE votes never mattered in Buhari's triumph to victory in the last election. Trump's racist white supporters now see his ticket to the white house as a license to hate. Soyinka said he can't live in that type of hostile environment. All the extreme right wing politicians in Europe are happy with the results. The racist political parties in Greece, Netherlands, UK, Germany, e.t.c Racist white people can't differentiate between a black(Christian or Muslim), hispanic, indian e.t.c or a muslim. We are all dirt to them as far as they are concerned.

I myself have no problem with trump's victory as his win would ensure more jobs for us in Canada. He is pro-pipeline and hydrocarbon. He prefers Canadian crude to any other. The same canadian crude Obama called dirty oil. I am glad I live North of the US border, but we can't ignore the swastika symbols showing up in American school, graffiti's everywhere saying Black lives and votes never mattered, lynching pictures and threats being spread across some Universities, high school students chanting build the wall in school's cafeteria e.t.c and he hasn't even been sworn it yet! I hope he comes out and denounces some of the actions of some of his supporters.

2 Likes

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by mightyhazel: 6:21pm On Nov 13, 2016
moshino:

You were the one that called Prof Wole Soyinka "SENILE", that was how this discuss started. But I'm glad you've come back to your senses and given honour to him who richly deserves it. Thanks, and enjoy your day as well. Try not to make the same mistake by insulting an icon like Prof Wole Soyinka, a man whom you've not even earned the privilege of shinning his sandals.
u keep running in cycles like a juvenile.
If ur not daft in a peculiar way,wudt u hav noticed where I talked abt my respect for prof in ma first post ? If he hadt earned dat respect,of course I wudt gv it.
His flaws (evrybody has one,senile or not) hasn't in any way deterred my respect for him!
But u'd want 2 paint him as a god with no flaws.
How will u explain sombody calling out a Trump for being crass in nature,but will support one who has made statements like 'baboons and dogs being soaked in their own blood',....'I will continue 2 show my support for sharia,...'even in a secular nation...'An attack on boko haram is an attack on the north',...'Constituencies dat gave me 5 % cannot be treated same way as those that gave me 97%' plus a whole hordes of other crass statements and actions .

I'd leave u 2 ponder on these,...if u have the ability 2 reason honestly.
Bye!

1 Like

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by BobUg28(m): 6:32pm On Nov 13, 2016
shinarambo1:

Trump said he would evict illegal immigrants and not migrants, after-all Trump's wife's is a migrant from Slovenia, and most of the illegal migrants are actually Mexican immigrants that were brought to the US as kids by their parents. Most of them are now over 20 years old. Over 700,000 of them. The ones Obama was trying to pardon since they were brought in as kids.

You also did not get the prof's message. He said trump was not really the problem, but the racist supporters. As it stands in the US now...black votes does not matter, hispanic votes does not matter neither does votes from other minority. This was confirmed by the election. It's similar to how the SE votes never mattered in Buhari's triumph to victory in the last election. Trump's racist white supporters now see his ticket to the white house as a license to hate. Soyinka said he can't live in that type of hostile environment. All the extreme right wing politicians in Europe are happy with the results. The racist political parties in Greece, Netherlands, UK, Germany, e.t.c Racist white people can't differentiate between a black(Christian or Muslim), hispanic, indian e.t.c or a muslim. We are all dirt to them as far as they are concerned.

I myself have no problem with trump's victory as his win would ensure more jobs for us in Canada. He is pro-pipeline and hydrocarbon. He prefers Canadian crude to any other. The same canadian crude Obama called dirty oil. I am glad I live North of the US border, but we can't ignore the swastika symbols showing up in American school, graffiti's everywhere saying Black lives and votes never mattered, lynching pictures and threats being spread across some Universities, high school students chanting build the wall in school's cafeteria e.t.c and he hasn't even been sworn it yet! I hope he comes out and denounces some of the actions of some of his supporters.

THANKS FOR YOUR DETAILED EXPLANATIONS.
Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by moshino(m): 6:41pm On Nov 13, 2016
mightyhazel:
u keep running in cycles like a juvenile.
If ur not daft in a peculiar way,wudt u hav noticed where I talked abt my respect for prof in ma first post ? If he hadt earned dat respect,of course I wudt gv it.
His flaws (evrybody has one,senile or not) hasn't in any way deterred my respect for him!
But u'd want 2 paint him as a god with no flaws.
How will u explain sombody calling out a Trump for being crass in nature,but will support one who has made statements like 'baboons and dogs being soaked in their own blood',....'I will continue 2 show my support for sharia,...'even in a secular nation...'An attack on boko haram is an attack on the north',...'Constituencies dat gave me 5 % cannot be treated same way as those that gave me 97%' plus a whole hordes of other crass statements and actions .

I'd leave u 2 ponder on these,...if u have the ability 2 reason honestly.
Bye!

When a person is bereft of sane, logical point of debate, he/she resorts to name-calling, infantile insults, hyperbole and attempt at obfuscation of the point of debate. I did not not say Prof Wole Soyinka was ever "a god with no flaws". You called him "SENILE", and my point is that, the word "SENILE" and Prof Wole Soyinka does not belong in the same sentence, period. You're the one running around in circles, as for your attempt at insults, I'm above that, and do not respond to infantile, moronic outbursts.
Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by mightyhazel: 6:54pm On Nov 13, 2016
moshino:

When a person is bereft of sane, logical point of debate, he/she resorts to name-calling, infantile insults, hyperbole and attempt at obfuscation of the point of debate. I did not not say Prof Wole Soyinka was ever "a god with no flaws". You called him "SENILE", and my point is that, the word "SENILE" and Prof Wole Soyinka does not belong in the same sentence, period. You're the one running around in circles, as for your attempt at insults, I'm above that, and do not respond to infantile, moronic outbursts.
lmao! I like ur systematic but clumsy retreat. Obviously u have no answers to my questions,...because crying d victims cry like u just blubbered up there bears no sense,after all the insults u v been hurling without let. If its a compliment 2 u and ur kind that u aint qualified 2 clean the footwears of a man like urself,where I com from,its a big insult. So yammering about self respect and all dat kind of stuff is lame,and shdt be for ppl like u. Wake me up wen u can ansa the questions I posed 2 u!
Bye!

1 Like

Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by moshino(m): 7:11pm On Nov 13, 2016
mightyhazel:
lmao! I like ur systematic but clumsy retreat. [b]Obviously u have no answers to my questions,.[/b]..because crying d victims cry like u just blubbered up there bears no sense,after all the insults u v been hurling without let. If its a compliment 2 u and ur kind that u aint qualified 2 clean the footwears of a man like urself,where I com from,its a big insult. So yammering about self respect and all dat kind of stuff is lame,and shdt be for ppl like u. Wake me up wen u can ansa the questions I posed 2 u!
Bye!

Obviously you still don't get it. I don't need to answer your question, you don't need to agree with Prof Wole Soyinka's position on any issue, you're free to agree or disagree with anybody on any issue. But because you disagree with somebody's position/stand does not make them "SENILE", especially Prof Wole Soyinka. You can disagree with him and hold contrary opinion on any issue, but you don't get to call him "SENILE" as you did, period! You haven't earned it!
Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by moshino(m): 7:13pm On Nov 13, 2016
mightyhazel:
lmao! I like ur systematic but clumsy retreat. [b]Obviously u have no answers to my questions,.[/b]..because crying d victims cry like u just blubbered up there bears no sense,after all the insults u v been hurling without let. If its a compliment 2 u and ur kind that u aint qualified 2 clean the footwears of a man like urself,where I com from,its a big insult. So yammering about self respect and all dat kind of stuff is lame,and shdt be for ppl like u. Wake me up wen u can ansa the questions I posed 2 u!
Bye!

Obviously you still don't get it. I don't need to answer your question, you don't need to agree with Prof Wole Soyinka's position on any issue, you're free to agree or disagree with anybody on any issue. But because you disagree with somebody's position/stand does not make them "SENILE", especially Prof Wole Soyinka. You can disagree with him and hold contrary opinion on any issue, but you don't get to call him "SENILE" as you did, period! You haven't earned it! I cant make it any clearer for you, maybe you just don't have the capacity to understand that.
Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by mightyhazel: 7:29pm On Nov 13, 2016
moshino:

Obviously you still don't get it. I don't need to answer your question, you don't need to agree with Prof Wole Soyinka's position on any issue, you're free to agree or disagree with anybody on any issue. But because you disagree with somebody's position/stand does not make them "SENILE", especially Prof Wole Soyinka. You can disagree with him and hold contrary opinion on any issue, but you don't get to call him "SENILE" as you did, period! You haven't earned it! I cant make it any clearer for you, maybe you just don't have the capacity to understand that.
a v simple question and u v been goin up and down like a wrecked ship. So u knw I hav a right 2 ma own opinion? Y den did u barge in like dat on my mention,..esp wen ur without clue!

My friend,wen an upright man begins 2 act funny,esp at old age, senility cud be suspected. A trump suddenly bcoms v appalling,but a bigoted bubu v appealing. For real?
Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by moshino(m): 7:31pm On Nov 13, 2016
mightyhazel:
a v simple question and u v been goin up and down like a wrecked ship. So u knw I hav a right 2 ma own opinion? Y den did u barge in like dat on my mention,..esp wen ur without clue!

My friend,wen an upright man begins 2 act funny,esp at old age, senility cud be suspected. A trump suddenly bcoms v appalling,but a bigoted bubu v appealing. For real?

I have no idea what you just said, have a nice life.
Re: Why I'm Leaving USA - Soyinka by mightyhazel: 7:44pm On Nov 13, 2016
moshino:

I have no idea what you just said, have a nice life.
yea,i know! U v had no idea of wot av been saying right from onset. Y u barged in lik dat on my mention is wot I may never knw.

Hav a nice life too

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Life In Secondary School / Rain / Kanu: The Journal Of A Rogue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.