Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,478 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

‘sugar Mummies’ – Abuja Women Protest Discrimination For Marrying Younger Men - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / ‘sugar Mummies’ – Abuja Women Protest Discrimination For Marrying Younger Men (4760 Views)

Why We Can’t Propose To Men – Abuja Women / Adeola Marcus Blasts Leonard Daunsi For Marrying Another Woman / Nigerian Man Arrested In Switzerland For Marrying 14 Women Out Of Deceit. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘sugar Mummies’ – Abuja Women Protest Discrimination For Marrying Younger Men by morereb10: 7:43pm On Nov 13, 2016
The act of a lady marrying a younger man in this part of the world is usually frowned at. Most people just coat it in the name calling "sugar mummy". The discrimination against women marrying younger men is getting rampant thought on the other hand, the society see nothing wrong in men having much younger wives and this has led some women in Abuja to a massive protest.

Speaking to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja, some women in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, on Thursday, decried discrimination in Nigeria against women marrying younger men, while seeing nothing wrong in men having much younger wives. Some of the women alleged that they had been discriminated, judged and labelled “sugar mummy” for their marriage to men they were older than.

A businesswoman identified as Esther David, said she was five years older than her husband, who is also into the same provision business with her. She added her decision to marry her husband was borne out of love, admiration and respect she had for him, and not because she was desperate to get married as alleged by some persons. “Our society tends to judge women negatively for marrying younger men, even if that relationship was borne out of love and respect for each other. “But the same society sees nothing wrong if a man marries someone that he is old enough to even be her grandfather,” she lamented.

According to her, she faced a lot of challenges from her in-laws due to the age difference before she was fully accepted as his wife, despite performing the traditional, Christian and even the court wedding. A mother of two identified as Bose Ade, said even though she was eight years older than her husband, whom she has been married to for over a decade, her being older had not affected the love, affection and respect they had for each other. “At first, it was very difficult for me to accept his marriage proposal because I was far older than him with over eight years. “But I was later convinced by his persistence and support from his family that he was not dissuaded by our age differences,” Mrs. Ade said.

What is your opinion on this? Is it right for a lady to marry a younger man?

read complete article

@ http://www.exlinklodge.com/2016/11/sugar-mummies-abuja-women-protest.html

1 Like

Re: ‘sugar Mummies’ – Abuja Women Protest Discrimination For Marrying Younger Men by Bluezy13(m): 7:43pm On Nov 13, 2016
Well, I'm not against them.
it's just societal view.

But do they need to protest

1 Like

Re: ‘sugar Mummies’ – Abuja Women Protest Discrimination For Marrying Younger Men by Elkay3: 7:44pm On Nov 13, 2016
Wow.
Re: ‘sugar Mummies’ – Abuja Women Protest Discrimination For Marrying Younger Men by slimthugchimee(m): 7:45pm On Nov 13, 2016
rubbish undecided
Re: ‘sugar Mummies’ – Abuja Women Protest Discrimination For Marrying Younger Men by AK6464(m): 7:53pm On Nov 13, 2016
Oya nau
Re: ‘sugar Mummies’ – Abuja Women Protest Discrimination For Marrying Younger Men by Slaveman343: 8:06pm On Nov 13, 2016
If she is submissive i dont see the big deal
Re: ‘sugar Mummies’ – Abuja Women Protest Discrimination For Marrying Younger Men by krissconnect(m): 8:48pm On Nov 13, 2016
Well,most of these women will hide under the umbrella of what the society frowns at, while in the real sense,they're sugarmummies. Is it not abuja again? They're sugarmummies abeg. QED

(1) (Reply)

6 Shocking Things Girls Will Never Tell Guys Unless They Loves You / 7 Tips To Last Longer In Bed Naturally / Crazy Liberian Girl Wants to Trap me with Pregnancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.