Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,719 members, 7,824,043 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:08 PM

Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available - Health (128) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (637876 Views)

Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 / Doctor In The House: Free Medical Advice Available / Pharmacist In The House:free Medicines Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) ... (305) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Damog: 12:21am On Jan 22, 2015
hello doc. am a 23yr old diabetes patient. ave had it for 5yrs nau. I recently noticed sumtinz lyk burns on d cap of my penis. am definite its not std. I browsed abt it nd came to d conclusion dat its balanitis. how do I go abt treating it?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ogunniyi2: 10:54am On Jan 22, 2015
Hello Dr. I am 43 years old.i have been having a running battle with my two thigh.i always feel as if something is holding/pressing down my left and right thigh thereby preventing me to move normally,hence result to limping. i have been facing this challenges for the past 2 months.

Anytime i am on bed i always find it difficult to stretch my legs and i will be feeling as if something heavy is deposited in my thigh's feel pain in both thigh when i forced myself to move or even when i sit down for some time.

I have done scan/xray@ igbobi in Lagos, when i asked the doctor to interpret the result, he said that i don't have bone issue problem but that the result shows contraction of nerve and could not explain what causes the contraction of nerve. I was given only pain relieving tablet and the doctor reschedule my next visit to December 22,2014.unfortunately the health workers are on strike and efforts to meet the doctor was futile.

Before my next appointment date, initially when i used the pain relieving tablets given to me,every thing was normal but relapse again when it remain just few days to complete drug.

Please kindly advice since i could not see the doctor up till now
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by brytandre(m): 10:58am On Jan 25, 2015
lomaxx:

The bump ( what you called 'growth' ) is called Pinguecula. Typically inflamed by exposure to dust, sun, wind. When it becomes inflamed( as evidenced by the redness and pain in your left eye) it becomes pingueculitis.

Typically presents as reddish painful eye that doesn't resolve on administration of antibiotic eye drop. This is because antibiotic kills bacteria but not inflammation.

Treatment of the pain and redness of pingueculitis is steroid eye drop. The steroid won't make the yellow bump(pinguecula) go away. It would remove the inflammation so you won't have the pain and redness.

The only way to remove it is surgical excision.

Meanwhile, see your ophthalmologist. And avoid sun rays. Your shades should come handy here.

PS: I love your history. Straight to the point and very helpful for instant diagnosis.

Thanks very much Dr, I do feel much better now as I have my shades on whenever I go out. The pinguecula is still there and the area around it is slightly reddish. I'm yet to use any steroid eyedrop, and I've not been to the clinic. please can u recommend a steroid eye drop I can use, I mean a product. Thank you
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Opeyinka(f): 3:51pm On Jan 25, 2015
Hello Doctor, this is not a request for medical advice but a request for a medical personnel. I have prescription for intra muscular injection and I will need a nurse to administer the injections. Any nurse in the house who is willing to make house call daily for a month will be highly appreciated. I stay around Masha Adelabu Surulere Lagos State.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Mubarak1(m): 9:06am On Jan 26, 2015
Hello Dr. More grease to ya elbow, may God bless the hard work, Pls Dr my brother had rough hands(palm) Pls Dr what can he do to soften the hands(Palm), He's in his early 18. Thanks as u answer my Question
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jan 26, 2015
Damog:
hello doc. am a 23yr old diabetes patient. ave had it for 5yrs nau. I recently noticed sumtinz lyk burns on d cap of my penis. am definite its not std. I browsed abt it nd came to d conclusion dat its balanitis. how do I go abt treating it?

Balantitis is inflammation of glans. Depends on what is causing it. Most importantly, rule out STD if you are sexually active.

With history of diabetes, you are at risk for infections like candidiasis especially if sugar not under control.

You need to go and get a good history and genital exam taken by your doc and a swab/ sample of discharge if any.

Also make sure your diabetes is under control.

Assuming it is candidasis, you will need Rx for diflucan 150mg x1 dose.

Practice good hygiene if you are uncircumcised.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jan 26, 2015
Mubarak1:
Hello Dr. More grease to ya elbow, may God bless the hard work, Pls Dr my brother had rough hands(palm) Pls Dr what can he do to soften the hands(Palm), He's in his early 18. Thanks as u answer my Question

You need good Moisturizer.

Like cetaphil, lubriderm but these are US based products not sure of nigerian/african equivalent.

I suggest coconut oil for great cheap alternative

In addition: stay away from harsh chemicals such as
detergents, use mild soap if you must wash hands.

Stay hydrated - water not pop or soda beverages
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by motemi111(m): 10:43pm On Jan 27, 2015
Doc in d house, a friend of mine told me a problem he has been facing for 3yrs today and i feel i shld seek for advice here. He told me he sleeps less than 2 hrs everynight due to painful erection he has anytime he sleeps. He said the erection is always painful and only come down after taking a cold bath like 6 to.8 times in a night. Pls what can he do to have a normal life and sleep again cos he is being traunmatized. Thanks in anticipation for a solution.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by motemi111(m): 12:36pm On Jan 28, 2015
motemi111:
Doc in d house, a friend of mine told me a problem he has been facing for 3yrs today and i feel i shld seek for advice here. He told me he sleeps less than 2 hrs everynight due to painful manhood stiffness he has anytime he sleeps. He said the stiffness is always painful and only come down after taking a cold bath like 6 to.8 times in a night. Pls what can he do to have a normal life and sleep again cos he is being traunmatized. Thanks in anticipation for a solution.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Wizdray: 1:26pm On Jan 28, 2015
Hello Doctor. I noticed my manhood had shrunk little bit and something like pimples on it. I started noticing this some weeks back, i tried all my best to know what's wrong with me but couldn't get enough explanation on it. please what caused this and best solution to it apart from surgery. Not happy at all since i noticed this. Thanks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Mubarak1(m): 3:54pm On Jan 28, 2015
Great Docs and Med Students I greet u all, I sat
for jamb and post utme last year 2014 I got 204points
and I was giving MCB in Usman Danfodio
University, Sokoto. I really want 2 study medicine
that's y I left the admission and bought
Danfodio Uni. Sokoto Remedial Course form,
Thank God I have been admitted, Pls what
method of studying should i use and how will i
make it in Matric. Docs and Docs 2 b, Please Pray
help and advice me on how to achieve my goal of
becoming a doctor am 18, School will commence
by March.Thank U.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by tmamuda(m): 4:13pm On Jan 28, 2015
Hello Doctors in d house.

I have bin down for years now. Nt able to use my lower limbs. Bt recently d a doctor told me is lumbar spondylosis he even suggest I do MRI scan bt due to dis strike am not able to do dat. Am having severe back n legs pains, even if i take medicine to relief d pain I still feel d pain d more. Help me on wat to do. And can it be cure?
Thanks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by idoo4love: 6:12pm On Jan 28, 2015
Hello Doctor, my sister have been having a discharge of water from her breast as if she's breast feeding .she just finished her period 3 days ago and due to the what she told .she said she hasn't for once done an abortion before...please Doc what might be the course and the solution for it....Thanks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jan 28, 2015
motemi111:
Doc in d house, a friend of mine told me a problem he has been facing for 3yrs today and i feel i shld seek for advice here. He told me he sleeps less than 2 hrs everynight due to painful erection he has anytime he sleeps. He said the erection is always painful and only come down after taking a cold bath like 6 to.8 times in a night. Pls what can he do to have a normal life and sleep again cos he is being traunmatized. Thanks in anticipation for a solution.

It is called intermittent nocturnal priapism.

Is he sickle cell carrier/trait or disease?

Anyway!

Need to get a urological consultation + or - neurological consultation for history and exam and tests: polysomnography and other tests to test penile functions.

If cannot afford those consultations, there are proposed treatments but are not permanent. Such are propanol, amitriptyline, clozapine. Can get prescription from GP for: clozapine 25mg qd is the most effective but carries much side effects; so read the black box warning and side effects of this drug if you choose it.

Take care
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jan 28, 2015
Wizdray:
Hello Doctor. I noticed my manhood had shrunk little bit and something like pimples on it. I started noticing this some weeks back, i tried all my best to know what's wrong with me but couldn't get enough explanation on it. please what caused this and best solution to it apart from surgery. Not happy at all since i noticed this. Thanks

Hm yea. The penis is not just an appendage, it is an extention of your entire health thus can be an indication of overall heath. It could be circulation, nerve issues or systemic disease like diabetes, vasculitis, STD

See your GP first and get a good exam, blood work and imaging. For sure ask your doctor to get testosterone level checked, cbc, ANA, serum glucose, sedimentation rate at minimum blood work. And yes, STD profile if you are sexually active

Good luck
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by motemi111(m): 6:46pm On Jan 28, 2015
Xiadnat:

It is called intermittent nocturnal priapism.

Is he sickle cell carrier/trait or disease?

Anyway!

Need to get a urological consultation + or - neurological consultation for history and exam and tests: polysomnography and other tests to test penile functions.

If cannot afford those consultations, there are proposed treatments but are not permanent. Such are propanol, amitriptyline, clozapine. Can get prescription from GP for: clozapine 25mg qd is the most effective but carries much side effects; so read the black box warning and side effects of this drug if you choose it.

Take care

Thanks for the advice, he has a trait of sickle cell so what treatment do you think he should take. Thank you.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jan 28, 2015
Mubarak1:
Great Docs and Med Students I greet u all, I sat
for jamb and post utme last year 2014 I got 204points
and I was giving MCB in Usman Danfodio
University, Sokoto. I really want 2 study medicine
that's y I left the admission and bought
Danfodio Uni. Sokoto Remedial Course form,
Thank God I have been admitted, Pls what
method of studying should i use and how will i
make it in Matric. Docs and Docs 2 b, Please Pray
help and advice me on how to achieve my goal of
becoming a doctor am 18, School will commence
by March.Thank U.

Congrats. Such a noble profession and a priviledge .

I used a number of resources when i was a medical student which was back in 2011 i graduated. MKSAP was and is a great resource to purchase whichever country you are tho i schooled and trained in US. MKSAP is also advanced and you are just starting.

If you want text books? Well, thats different story. I know some i can reccomend but for what subjects are you looking for since you are just starting.?

Best wishes in your endeavors
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Mubarak1(m): 7:21pm On Jan 28, 2015
Thank You Doc. am really exulted the recommended subjects are Biology Chemistry Physics and Mathematics, Thanks once again
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Wizdray: 11:02pm On Jan 28, 2015
Xiadnat:

Hm yea. The penis is not just an appendage, it is an extention of your entire health thus can be an indication of overall heath. It could be circulation, nerve issues or systemic disease like diabetes, vasculitis, STD

See your GP first and get a good exam, blood work and imaging. For sure ask your doctor to get testosterone level checked, cbc, ANA, serum glucose, sedimentation rate at minimum blood work. And yes, STD profile if you are sexually active

Good luck
Thank you doc.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jan 28, 2015
Mubarak1:
Thank You Doc. am really exulted the recommended subjects are Biology Chemistry Physics and Mathematics, Thanks once again

Ok. Will work on looking up those texts but just out of curiosity:

Do the proffessors/faculties for these courses not reccomend texts for you to get?

Why not ask your professors what you should be studying since they would be making up the exam?, would they not.

Forgive me but i do not know the education/ school system in nigeria. Are you studying independently?

Best
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jan 28, 2015
motemi111:

Thanks for the advice, he has a trait of sickle cell so what treatment do you think he should take. Thank you.

Since he has sickle cell trait, should probably avoid clozapine then.

It gets a bit hairy when you have sickel cell. First thing is to manage the sickle cell because that is cause in most cases really. Options: nonsurgical approach with penile injections or surgical approach.

But! First:

Visit your GP. Need to check his hemoglobin. He may have significant anemia that is triggering this. If he is anemic, first thing would be transfusion.

Just need to make sure he is SS trait and not the disease. It makes a huge difference in the management.

In the mean time, Keep hydrated- drink lots of water. Take analgesic if you need it. Stop drinking alcholic beverage and stop smoking cigs, MJ, cocaine etc if he does.

Act tho: long term complication is impotence.

Let me know how it goes.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 12:12am On Jan 29, 2015
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by motemi111(m): 5:26am On Jan 29, 2015
Xiadnat:

Since he has sickle cell trait, should probably avoid clozapine then.

It gets a bit hairy when you have sickel cell. First thing is to manage the sickle cell because that is cause in most cases really. Options: nonsurgical approach with penile injections or surgical approach.

But! First:

Visit your GP. Need to check his hemoglobin. He may have significant anemia that is triggering this. If he is anemic, first thing would be transfusion.

Just need to make sure he is SS trait and not the disease. It makes a huge difference in the management.

In the mean time, Keep hydrated- drink lots of water. Take analgesic if you need it. Stop drinking alcholic beverage and stop smoking cigs, MJ, cocaine etc if he does.

Act tho: long term complication is impotence.

Let me know how it goes.
Thanks doc
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Mubarak1(m): 7:43am On Jan 29, 2015
Xiadnat:

Ok. Will work on looking up those texts but just out of curiosity:

Do the proffessors/faculties for these courses not reccomend texts for you to get?

Why not ask your professors what you should be studying since they would be making up the exam?, would they not.

Forgive me but i do not know the education/ school system in nigeria. Are you studying independently?

Best

I'll try to do so, yea am studying independently
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Kentnickole(m): 9:24pm On Jan 29, 2015
Gud evnn Doctor. Please how much does it cost to carry out a surgical operation involving a case of an undescended testicle in govt-owned hospitals or university teaching hospitals?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by DrMalik(m): 5:24pm On Jan 31, 2015
Thanks Xiadnat! Love the way you answer these health concern and questions. Since you are up and doing...I will just be reading along!

Keep it up, Chief-ess! wink

www.withdrmalik.org
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 1:00pm On Feb 01, 2015
DrMalik:
Thanks Xiadnat! Love the way you answer these health concern and questions. Since you are up and doing...I will just be reading along!

Keep it up, Chief-ess! wink

www.withdrmalik.org

Thanks Dr. Much appreciation. smiley
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 3:01pm On Feb 01, 2015
Mubarak1:

I'll try to do so, yea am studying independently

Here are the resources that you asked for. Few things:

It's called MIT open courseware. It is from Massachusetts Institute for Technology- a really ivy league reputable school based in U.S. So, it's highly credible information. It is free online courses.

The courses are organized by topics. Just choose the topics you desire, and navigate the website to find what you are looking for.

The courses are meant to simulate real time classes. So, they are well organized into: syllabus, readings, assignments, lecture videos with transcripts/handouts that you can follow, study groups, online recommended texts that you can purchase on amazon.com if you want.

You will need: access to high speed internet, a compatible Microsoft word, and video/media player.

Here is the website address: http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm.--> is the main site. Just click on the courses and then navigate the site to find what you want.

Let me know if any issues. I have some other online courses you can try out if MIT does not pan out. But, I chose it because it's from a reputable university. It's like first grade learning really.

Best,
Dr.XA.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by funkyjms: 6:33pm On Feb 01, 2015
^^
Nice one Xiadnat
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Mubarak1(m): 11:39pm On Feb 01, 2015
Xiadnat:

Here are the resources that you asked for. Few things:

It's called MIT open courseware. It is from Massachusetts Institute for Technology- a really ivy league reputable school based in U.S. So, it's highly credible information. It is free online courses.

The courses are organized by topics. Just choose the topics you desire, and navigate the website to find what you are looking for.

The courses are meant to simulate real time classes. So, they are well organized into: syllabus, readings, assignments, lecture videos with transcripts/handouts that you can follow, study groups, online recommended texts that you can purchase on amazon.com if you want.

You will need: access to high speed internet, a compatible Microsoft word, and video/media player.

Here is the website address: http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm.--> is the main site. Just click on the courses and then navigate the site to find what you want.

Let me know if any issues. I have some other online courses you can try out if MIT does not pan out. But, I chose it because it's from a reputable university. It's like first grade learning really.

Best,
Dr.XA.
Thank You a lot Dr. The website is good and am catching new things. Thanks Here is my Facebook ID and whatsapp number is you are in any F'b ID: Mubarak Al-amin Umar. Whatsapp: +2348162536858. Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) ... (305) (Reply)

How Can I Get Rid Of Black Spots On My Face? / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology / How Do I Calculate My Safe Period?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.