Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,210 members, 7,825,789 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:28 PM

Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? (20725 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Poses In Her Hometown In Abba, Anambra State / Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman / Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by holysainbj(m): 7:23am On Nov 15, 2016
OP let me give u an example
How can u give advice on something u've never felt or experienced?
Can u say to d poor boy/girl on d street without clothings and food, "I understand what you are passing through"
can u say to a friend who lost d parent, "I understand how u feel" when u've not lost a close one b4?

OP u r a really great thinker and I had to read in-depth to understand ur view but it's wrong
Chimamanda is so right...
its just like dat law maxim "u can't give what u dont have"

3 Likes

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by clydedaniels(m): 7:23am On Nov 15, 2016
Eastactivist:
So how does it equate to adichie being a racist?

U no sabi read??
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by samsard(m): 7:23am On Nov 15, 2016
Ujoan:
Of course she's a racist . Hiding under the disguise of oppression when in truth she's not any different from the same people she's judging.

I think she harassed and intimidated that man and that is quite typical of her passive aggressive personality.

She needs to take a chill pill.
I love your response, just perfect.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Nobody: 7:24am On Nov 15, 2016
Her comment is racist.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Geeweeny(m): 7:25am On Nov 15, 2016
[quote author=martineverest post=51044079]blacks will always cry of being the victims of racism,but they ve forgotten that tribalism is d worst form of racism[/quote::::U jst took the words out of my mind,i think we blacks should take a chill pill about racism,i just get bored and tired wen i hear talks abt bein oppresed by d whites,while down here an igbo man cannot wish a yoruba or hausa man good,or a south african killin a nigerian for no jst cause,the problm is we the BLACKS
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by africandollar: 7:25am On Nov 15, 2016
OP you are right with that. As much as I appreciate Adichie for her talents as a novelist I can't but disagree with her on some issues which makes her come across as a tribalist, feminist and of recent a racist!
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Generalyemi(m): 7:30am On Nov 15, 2016
rhektor:

What is our fundermetal problem? What I ask again? How did we get here, if not not through a branch of racism? North vs South, South East vs South West, South South vs South West, Hausa Fulani vs Igbo, Igbo vs Yoruba, Yoruba and Hausa vs Igbo and others, Hausa vs Yoruba etc and you come here to spew thrash that thus isn't our fund problem? All these kids at heart Mtchewwwwwwwww

ehhhh .old man we c u....irrelevant bloggers
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by kinibigdeal(m): 7:30am On Nov 15, 2016
Are you a rascist?
chiwetaluAGU:
angry angry
Abokki where you belong sef? angry sad
I no blame you cause for naija here your brothers carry tribalism and oppressing other tribes for head like tren pan. North dey get everything through quota system and other senseless illogical means while marginalising others. Yet na you people dey cry marginalization pass. Hypocrisy no go kill una. Leave adichie and her americana alone. Note also that you and your brothers are not in position to tell me about marginalisation. angry sad

Useless and senseless talk angry
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Nobody: 7:33am On Nov 15, 2016
samsard:
Are on Nairaland to critic people's command of grammar or to relate with the message being passed across? SMH

Critism is part of why we are here bros. Without critism no one can improve.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by chiraqDemon(m): 7:34am On Nov 15, 2016
How does this affect ASUU one week warning strike that is starting tomorrow

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Nobody: 7:36am On Nov 15, 2016
A racist? Not sure. A tribal bigot? Yes
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by superstarDikk(m): 7:37am On Nov 15, 2016
Eastactivist:
So how does it equate to adichie being a racist?
Read and understand bro. The guy is smart
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Nobody: 7:41am On Nov 15, 2016
Adichie is surely a biased racist. An interview where people should give their different views without coming in the way of others became a war zone. Her aggressive nature can be seen in the way she fights male domination and even refused to acknowledge her husband's name.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by infohenry(m): 7:42am On Nov 15, 2016
martineverest:
blacks will always cry of being the victims of racism,but they ve forgotten that tribalism is d worst form of racism
Thank you bro. Adichie is an igbo woman before going to america to fight racism or any form of discrimination, let her come back to igbo land and speak out about the scourge of osu caste system that is used to reduce their follow igbo man with the same colour and language to sub human being. I never thought how serious this osu of a thing until my recent experience where a young man searxhing for job and I introduced him to well placed guy in oil industry who came from the same village with him but to my suprise to idiot after the meeting told me that he is ano osu and his people do not associate with them, I was shocked and asked him you and this guy who is outcaste because the osu here is you that will need transport from me now or you trek home. Adichie stop seeking attention elsewhere come home ano speak for the few oppressed in your fatherland.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by superstarDikk(m): 7:43am On Nov 15, 2016
chiwetaluAGU:
angry angry
Abokki where you belong sef? angry sad
I no blame you cause for naija here your brothers carry tribalism and oppressing other tribes for head like tren pan. North dey get everything through quota system and other senseless illogical means while marginalising others. Yet na you people dey cry marginalization pass. Hypocrisy no go kill una. Leave adichie and her americana alone. Note also that you and your brothers are not in position to tell me about marginalisation. angry sad

Useless and senseless talk angry
First, i'm not sure u read the post. Second, no Northern person complains about marginalization. Third, your people have always supported Trump, now a northerner is supporting him and you think he doesn't have the right to? The op said nothing bad about Adichie, he is just smart.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Elxandre(m): 7:43am On Nov 15, 2016
emeninevalentin:
Chimamanda's Americanah and Half of a Yellow Sun both portrayed dislike for The western World. OK. That line was chiefly for the "Americanah". But the Yellow sun just portrays hatred for almost all races.... All should I say tribes? The lady self...
Yet she refused to come back home. sad
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Nobody: 7:44am On Nov 15, 2016
we should all see a common core in all this... accept that common core as the TRUTH. whether it is perceived as racism, ethnic-bias, gender-bias, homophobic-bias, financial-exclusion, glass-ceiling, tribalism, parental-preference, sports-bias etc. everything is a bias (inclination or prejudice for or against one person or group, especially in a way considered to be unfair.)

We all express it one way or the other and somehow hold a worldview that is completely contradictory to various positions that shows that we are all racists in some wavelength of the bias spectrum. WE ARE ALL CHRONIC HYPOCRITES. WE ARE ALL RACISTS AT OUR CORE

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Welly12: 7:45am On Nov 15, 2016
jeeqaa7:
who cares?
NFCS does!
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by 200dexter(m): 7:46am On Nov 15, 2016
AlPeter:
yea, but a mexican can? A Chinese can? The black race is deluded.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by excellentelitec(f): 7:48am On Nov 15, 2016
Op. I believe you have been reading all her articles in order to find fault and I'm sure u have found it and u deed not even articulate before pouring out your tribalism.

And I believe you have not travelled out of the shores of Nigeria, it would have helped you to understand the true meaning of "BLACK" and the oppression followed to it.

How can a Richman understand the true meaning of poverty?

Have u been to Russia with your black skin before?

4 Likes

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Elxandre(m): 7:52am On Nov 15, 2016
She's lucky she wasn't talking to me. sad

Whites don't get to talk about racism, yet most African families are UNHAPPY and mostly unsupportive when their 'successful' sons marry white women.

I'm certain African Americans and Hispanics discriminate against whites and call them insulting names.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Saintp(m): 7:54am On Nov 15, 2016
martineverest:
blacks will always cry of being the victims of racism,but they ve forgotten that tribalism is d worst form of racism

You are damn right. Most people who can't stand this racism thing are Conc tribalists. Bad people judging bad people, that's what most Nigerians are.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by tjskii(f): 7:54am On Nov 15, 2016
I watched an excerpt of that interview, and I didn't like adichie's mannerisms, she was sarcastic rude and condescending, you could literally feel the animosity for white folks dripping from her words, she was practically racist
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by ElsonMorali: 7:57am On Nov 15, 2016
Sorry original OP, but the statement you ascribed to her isn't enough to label her a racist.

Saying that whites shouldn't define the term racism doesn't mean whites don't have the right to talk about racism. It affects everybody, so everybody should talk about it, but the truth is the black man is considered the least of all the races, Negroid, Mongoloid and Caucasoid, so they bear the brunt of racism the most.

Abrogating the rights to DEFINE racism to the whites is like asking the whites to write the history of the black man, (which they've done anyway).

So in this instance, Adichie Chimamanda is correct.

3 Likes

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Elxandre(m): 7:57am On Nov 15, 2016
LaEvilIMiss:
we should all see a common core in all this... accept that common core as the TRUTH. whether it is perceived as racism, ethnic-bias, gender-bias, homophobic-bias, financial-exclusion, glass-ceiling, tribalism, parental-preference, sports-bias etc. everything is a bias (inclination or prejudice for or against one person or group, especially in a way considered to be unfair.)

We all express it one way or the other and somehow hold a worldview that is completely contradictory to various positions that shows that we are all racists in some wavelength of the bias spectrum. WE ARE ALL CHRONIC HYPOCRITES. WE ARE ALL RACISTS AT OUR CORE
Speak for yourself.

I'm certainly not Racist!
I only care about the fact that you are human, not a single care given about something as superficial as skin colour.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Nobody: 8:04am On Nov 15, 2016
Elxandre:

Speak for yourself.

I'm certainly not Racist!
I only care about the fact that you are human, not a single care given about something as superficial as skin colour.

TRUE and i respect that.. but you a statistic on your own. it is a numbers game and that is how generalizations come to be.. not based on opinionated views of one but common views of all.
Would you call Donald Trumps voters "Racists" definitely not all of them are racists. Would you call Mikel Obi a terrible footballer.. definitely Chelsea is a good team.. but in the end.. if you want to be objective.. you look at the results not the effort

1 Like

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Endy4all(m): 8:07am On Nov 15, 2016
In her novel; AMERICANAH she said "Racism should never have happened and so you don't get a cookie for reducing it"

1 Like

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by salamibigi(m): 8:14am On Nov 15, 2016
Baba I agree with what she said joor........tho there's racism against whites too, the blacks are mostly affected and donald trump has helped fuelled it. It's not what you say that matters, it is how your followers interpret it.

1 Like

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Endy4all(m): 8:17am On Nov 15, 2016
Still quoting her.

WHO IS RECIST
In America, racism exists but racists are all gone. Racists belong to the past......
Here's the thing: the manifestation of racism has changed but the language has not. So if you haven't lynched somebody then you can't be called a racists.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Obipat(m): 8:20am On Nov 15, 2016
mrrights:
ISN’T CHIMAMANDA ADICHIE RACIST?
Abdulrazaq O Hamzat

Since the emergence of MR D.J Trump as US president elect, issue of racism has became a burning topic. The real or perceived racist rhetoric’s of Mr Trump, during the campaign period has led to fear, election violence and wide spread protest against his emergence as the US president.

Few days, after Mr Trump emerged winner of US presidential election, Nigerian writer, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie was invited to a BBC discussion and something strange was said.

Those close to me can testify that I admire Chimamanda Adichie so much for her vocal personality. Not only do I often find time to watch interviews and events she is featured, I also do read most of her articles. Despite the fact that I am not a fan of novels, because of Adichie, I became one.

Although, while I sometimes find myself disagreeing with her views on issues, that didn’t in anyway, take away the love and admiration I have for her as person. Probably, this opinion of mine is another way of disagreeing with her.

Here is the issue.

Today, while surfing the Internet, I came across a story on nairaland front page with the caption, ‘’Chimamanda Adichie on Trump, Racism and the KKK’’ https://www.nairaland.com/3464690/chimamanda-adichie-trump-racism-kkk#51026721. The story was a video of her discussion on BBC Newsnight, about the outcome of the US election with Editor –in-Chief of a conservative magazine, American Spectator, Emmett Tyrrell.

As usual, I open the story and read through. However, not only did I read through the story, I equally watched the video to be sure some transcript or words, ascribed to Adichie was actually hers. As I watch the very heated and engaging discussion, in which Adichie sat down with style, emitting character and confidence, making me admire her even more. I can’t but shake my head in disbelief, when she expressed some views I consider very offensive to justify her stance on D.J Trump’s racists rhetoric’s during the just concluded US presidential election.

During the discussion, BBC reporter, Emily Maitlis explained that, some Republican members, such as Paul Ryan and others have acknowledged the fact that, US President elect, Mr D.J Trump used some racist language while running his campaign. However, Mr Emmett disagreed . According to him, ‘’that’s not true, he, (referring to Mr Trump) hasn’t been racist he said. He went on to ask what racist comment D.J Trump made during the campaign and Adichie responded by citing the comment made against a judge handling Mr Trump’s case, in which the then Republican nominee said, ‘’a judge, a united states judge is unable to judge him fairly because he his Mexican. That is racist, said Adichie.
Sincerely speaking, Mr Emmett is being economical with the truth. Every objective follower of US presidential campaign wouldn’t deny the numerous racist comments made by Mr Trump. Yet Mr Emmett did, which is what most political pundits often do to defend their favored politician.

As i was pointing out the bias and sentimental position of Mr Emmett to the person watching the video with me, Adichie didn’t allow me; instead, she fired a disgusting missile about racism to justify her stands. I mean, she made a very offensive remark, similar to what she said made Trump racist.

Hear her:
‘’If you are a white man, you don’t get to define what racism is. I am sorry, you really don’t’’. Adichie said.

Firstly, there is something fundamentally wrong with Adichie’s statement. In fact, everything is wrong with it.

Here is why.

According to Adichie, Mr D.J Trump is racist, because he said a judge won’t judge him fairly because he his Mexican. Then, Adichie went on to say, ‘’If you are a white man, you don’t get to define what racism is.’’ Meaning, you can’t discuss racism fairly simply because you are white.

If D. J Trump is a racist based on what he said about the Mexican judge, I am afraid, isn’t Adichie also guilty of the same offense for what she said about white people ?
Mr Emmett responded appropriately by saying, ‘’ Do you know the false consciousness, which is the theory you are talking about in concept. I mean, you are saying, I cannot even open my mouth here because I am a white man?’’. The stunned white man felt very hurt and confused.
But that’s exactly what Adichie is saying. That a white man can’t talk racism fairly or get to define racism appropriately because he his white. This in itself, is a racist comment I believe.

Instructively, when US president elect, D.J Trump made those racist remarks about the US Mexican judge, thousands, if not millions of white men and women in America condemned him for racism. So did thousands, if not millions of colored people, including African Americans.

Similarly, other thousands, if not millions of white men and women defended Trump against the same accusation, and so did colored people, including African Americans.

Paul Ryan, quoted by BBC reporter Emiley, as acknowledging Trump to have used racist language is also a white man. It is therefore unreasonable, and highly condemnable for Adichie to look down on Mr Emmett, by claiming he cannot define racism fairly simply because of his color or race.

By extension, the racist statement made by Adichie isn’t just about Mr Emmitt as a person, it went beyond him. It is indirectly telling all white men and women who have been condemning racism that no matter what they do to stand against racism, in the eyes of people like Adichie, they can’t be fair because they are white.

Let me conclude by stating that, the word racism itself cannot be claimed to have originated from colored people or Africans. While root of the word is not clear, Linguitists generally agree that it came to the English language from Middle French.

To then claim that a white man cannot define racism, simply because he his white is not only ignorant and offensive , but it is also racist.
from your point of view, Mohamed Ali is a Racists? they criticised whites because of the way they treated blacks. No wonder they call you a.boki

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Nobody: 8:21am On Nov 15, 2016
Ujuhot:
I totally agree with Chimamanda on this. Its like trying to tell a woman who has just lost her child that you know how she feels when you have actually never lost anyone close to you before.

You don't get to tell my story if you have not walked a mile in my shoe before.
Whites have no business defining racism since they have never been a victim.

Has the chimamanda in question experienced racism first hand for her to be able to tell the white man he has no right to talk about racism.. All she may know may be stories handed down to her by her fathers.....
My opinion

1 Like

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by samsard(m): 8:23am On Nov 15, 2016
abiodunalasa:

Critism is part of why we are here bros. Without critism no one can improve.
Alright. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Shadow(vengence!! / "Mohammed Ali At The Ring-side, 1985" - A Poem By Wole Soyinka / == A Thief In The Church == ( A Short Story )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.