Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,639 members, 7,955,328 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:56 PM

Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? (20975 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Poses In Her Hometown In Abba, Anambra State / Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman / Is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Most Influential Woman In Africa Right Now?- CNN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Justiceotunne: 8:24am On Nov 15, 2016
abiodunalasa:
Too much grammatical errors in the write up made the reading so tiring. embarassed

In short, this writeup is a very good example of saying alot of things butt actually said nothing...

You have not done better with your reply either. "...the reading so tiring". You have used the word "so" as an adverb of degree. In a case like this, it must be followed by a "that clause". This should be the right rendition, "...so tiring that I can't go on with it". Again, you wrote "saying a lot of things ...said nothing" . Since you used the verb "saying" progressively, you should say "but actually saying not "said" nothing". I am not in the habit of picking holes with one's use of the English language, but I don't spare one who picks hole while being guilty of solecism. Who grammatical correctness epp.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Ikenna94: 8:24am On Nov 15, 2016
Ujuhot:
I totally agree with Chimamanda on this. Its like trying to tell a woman who has just lost her child that you know how she feels when you have actually never lost anyone close to you before.

You don't get to tell my story if you have not walked a mile in my shoe before.
Whites have no business defining racism since they have never been a victim.

My opinion
brilliant

1 Like

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by AkupeMBANO(f): 8:26am On Nov 15, 2016
garbage
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by freecocoa(f): 8:26am On Nov 15, 2016
Saying the truth doesn't make one racist.

Whites don't suffer racism so they don't get to have an opinion on it, it is just what it is.

4 Likes

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Ikenna94: 8:27am On Nov 15, 2016
[quote author=Geeweeny post=510448
44][/quote]
you are a fool. so u blame ur race for been victims of racism and decades of segregation
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Ikenna94: 8:29am On Nov 15, 2016
guymanDspecies:
Adichie is surely a biased racist. An interview where people should give their different views without coming in the way of others became a war zone. Her aggressive nature can be seen in the way she fights male domination and even refused to acknowledge her husband's name.
u sure sound misogynistic, why don't husbands start taking their wives names
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by repogirl(f): 8:31am On Nov 15, 2016
Maybe she shouldn't have said that to the guy cos as the OP said, there are also white people fighting against racial discrimination.

Tyrrell was only defending Trump albeit weakly cos we all can deduce for ourselves that Trump made some racistlike statements which he probably didn't even mean. Trump was just saying anything to get anyone to vote for him, he even contradicted himself many times. The same person that ridiculed Obamacare heath scheme is the one praising it after election. The guy is a shady salesman who is equally as bad as politicians.

For Chimamanda to hit Tyrell like that was a really low blow but it's a debate and it's a topic she is passionate about. It doesn't make her racist. Racism means when one believes one's race is superior to another and that's not what she was trying to portray .

Yes, She took it a little too far by saying white men have no say in what racism is about, everyone does have a say, although as usual everyone's opinion on what's racist and what's not would differ.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Moodyup(f): 8:39am On Nov 15, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

And what will you say about Whites that fought against racism.

If you say whites should not talk about racism, you are simply saying whites should not join the fight against racism.

Whites don't have the right to 'define' racism
Not 'fight against' or 'speak against'
It's safe to say you can't aptly define what you haven't felt.

1 Like

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Nobody: 8:48am On Nov 15, 2016
Op, you are just an alarmist. Writing this epistle to show your hatred for her by calling her a racist. Please stop smoking weed, it doesn't help anyone. Spend your useful time to pick holes in political statements our leaders make and hold them accountable for not fulfilling their promises to the masses already subjected to abject poverty.

2 Likes

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by rhektor(m): 8:55am On Nov 15, 2016
Generalyemi:

ehhhh .old man we c u....irrelevant bloggers

Relevant young man you not recognised not on this matter. Next time I won't be so nice, therefore take note.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by adegeye38(m): 8:55am On Nov 15, 2016
I also heard about it, chimamanda adichie has been talking too much this days because of her new found recognition, she even abused Beyonce recently with her feminism nonsense.
She did not think before she made that racist statement.

To me trump isn't racist, he only speaks the truth about issues that people have decided to turn a blind eye to
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Nobody: 8:56am On Nov 15, 2016
foladara777:
Let's be realistic, if you have never been a victim of racism, you can't claim to understand it... Just like straight people claiming they understand what it means to be gay in a country like Nigeria or someone who has always been rich claiming that he understand poverty.
And racism is not just discrimination... It's essentially an erroneous notion that one race- your race is superior to another. A white person in America has d same advantages as others but a black is naturally disadvantaged because of centuries of the suppression of d black race...
So... No, claiming a white person doesn't understand racism is not racist, it's d bitter truth
Trump claiming Africans are lazy and can't rule themselves is racism and not bitter truth Abi?
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by phreakabit(m): 8:57am On Nov 15, 2016
[size=18pt]Real Question : [/size]

Is Abdulrazaq O Hamzat a demented inbred? Or just a learned neanderthal who can't wipe its own ass to save its life?
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Phi001(m): 9:02am On Nov 15, 2016
abiodunalasa:
Too much grammatical errors in the write up made the reading so tiring. embarassed

In short, this writeup is a very good example of saying alot of things butt actually said nothing...
In your brief comment, see how many grammatical errors you have made.
I don't want to imagine how many errors you'll make if your comment was just as long.

Adichie's statement, while not necessarily racist, was wrong and biased.
That's akin to saying men don't get to define what sexism is.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by LorDBolton(m): 9:08am On Nov 15, 2016
coptic:
OP, you are a great thinker...

However, I wouldn't call that being racist.

It was the retort of someone who has seen her people trampled on only by virtue of their skin color.

The voice of a lady who has had enough.

That's truth speaking.

She wasn't being racist, in that she only acted defensively. Saying it as it is. Intent matters.

It may seem like she put them all in one basket, but that was rather a defensive mechanism than an intent to paint all whites a certain way.

It does have the impact of racism, but she's far from a racist. So, if you would do justice, I think you should look into her motive.

She may be too articulated to not use the right vocabs at such moment, but the scenario must be looked into critically before labeling her a racist or not. Words fail us sometimes. Even a pastor could say loads of shiit in the heat of the moment; it still doesn't take away the fact that the Lord considers him righteous enough (now, I'm talking about a truthful pastor, and not these money mongers). Hope that doesn't make me prejudicial. tongue

Oga let's be frank... that statement Is racist!

Let's say it's a White man who said:

IF YOURE A BLACK MAN you can't talk about racism?

By now the whole world will finish d guy n ruin his life.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by SmartyPants(m): 9:15am On Nov 15, 2016
LEAFLET:
I'm very saddened by people's misconception about the interview Chiamanda granted bbc. She was just being objective and straight to the point. How can a white man define racism when he's never felt it before? Can a man describe childbirth or relate to women periods?? People just open their mouth and say anything. If you watch the interview, She tried to subtly point to the man the character of Trump and the white man tried to downplay all the things that Trump did or said before he won as mere fallacy which is hard for Amanda to Understand. That's natural. Let's use common sense here.

He was not trying to describe how racism feels, rather he was giving a socio-academic definition of the term. Applying your own reasoning, must you be a woman to be able to define menstruation? Or simply because you don't know how child birth feels, you can't explain what it is to a child?

What she said was wrong. Period.

1 Like

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by PunterTim(m): 9:18am On Nov 15, 2016
I think she means the usual victims of racism only can define racism..
Anyway,i don't agree!
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Geeweeny(m): 9:30am On Nov 15, 2016
Ikenna94:

you are a fool. so u blame ur race for been victims of racism and decades of segregation
......oouch is that the best you can come up with and if you were to drive a point,do u think i or anyonelse will take u serious after startin wth an insult.....read and understand bfr u comment
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by coptic: 9:40am On Nov 15, 2016
LorDBolton:

Oga let's be frank... that statement Is racist!

Let's say it's a White man who said:

IF YOURE A BLACK MAN you can't talk about racism?

By now the whole world will finish d guy n ruin his life.

You do have I point. That's why I did acknowledge that the statement has an impact of racism, but from the point of intent, it does not. I did look at it from a different perspective.

I do not have the facts, so it's all a claim.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by LastProphet: 9:41am On Nov 15, 2016
coptic:
OP, you are a great thinker...

However, I wouldn't call that being racist.

It was the retort of someone who has seen her people trampled on only by virtue of their skin color.

The voice of a lady who has had enough.

That's truth speaking.

She wasn't being racist, in that she only acted defensively. Saying it as it is. Intent matters.

It may seem like she put them all in one basket, but that was rather a defensive mechanism than an intent to paint all whites a certain way.

It does have the impact of racism, but she's far from a racist. So, if you would do justice, I think you should look into her motive.

She may be too articulated to not use the right vocabs at such moment, but the scenario must be looked into critically before labeling her a racist or not. Words fail us sometimes. Even a pastor could say loads of shiit in the heat of the moment; it still doesn't take away the fact that the Lord considers him righteous enough (now, I'm talking about a truthful pastor, and not these money mongers). Hope that doesn't make me prejudicial. tongue

if u could come up with these same excuses for Trump you wouldn't have seen him as racist. Adichie was clearly racist in her comments and this should teach her a lesson that anyone could be unintentionally racist just like her or Trump. And to the OP, please dont expect responses deserving of your deep and admirable perspective on the issue because there arent many young people capable of thinking clearly like this anymore. keep it up
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by OBAGADAFFI: 9:44am On Nov 15, 2016
Moodyup:

Whites don't have the right to 'define' racism
Not 'fight against' or 'speak against'
It's safe to say you can't aptly define what you haven't felt.

oh!

I am shocked the you don't know that WHITES ARE ALSO VICTIMS OF RACISM.

Why should whites not define racism.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Skydweller(m): 9:45am On Nov 15, 2016
Racism and inferiority complex are things of the mind than reality. As a man thinketh so he is.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by obailala(m): 9:55am On Nov 15, 2016
Lol.... to be honest, if the matter must be judged fairly without sentiments, thay statement by Chimamanda falls under the same category as what Trump said about the Mexicans judge.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by bularuz(m): 10:05am On Nov 15, 2016
Yeah blame the victims for the crime

1 Like

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by arixsto2(m): 10:20am On Nov 15, 2016
Mr right just watch the video. I think Amanda wasn't so wrong by her. Comment and let stop mockery what she trying to defend which include the dignity of yourself mr right. She made that statement in revealing the bias stand of the man beside him and do that clearly she applied Ad hominem of which Donald trump himself used all through the campaign . I will advice you mr right reconcider the true nature of your dignity even though you have white mindset or claiming to be who you are not. I stand with Amanda. I never watch her talk before but she won me over in this video.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by LEAFLET(m): 10:37am On Nov 15, 2016
SmartyPants:

He was not trying to describe how racism feels, rather he was giving a socio-academic definition of the term. Applying your own reasoning, must you be a woman to be able to define menstruation? Or simply because you don't know how child birth feels, you can't explain what it is to a child?

What she said was wrong. Period.

I'm not here to trade words but guy I bet you haven't experienced racism.. That white man was trying to downplay how racist Trump is and he felt it's nothing serious. Are you kidding me?? I’m sure Chimmamanda meant that a white cannot define racism cos they’ve never experienced it. It is something that can be related to experientially. A white cannot tell me he understands racism because he's never experienced that.. You can only explain childbirth because of your perceived view of what it is or how you think it is. I've being in arguments a lot with with white youths trying to go through a J cole song, They relate to the vibes but can't really grasp the real meaning of his lyrics. There are also some aspects of society especially western societies that a black person cannot fully understand.. Things like "white privilege" and white guilt.. That's how it is so I think she was right and mind she smiled through it and tried to be as calm and composed as possible in explaining it to the man..

1 Like

Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Toofan007: 10:44am On Nov 15, 2016
infohenry:
Thank you bro. Adichie is an igbo woman before going to america to fight racism or any form of discrimination, let her come back to igbo land and speak out about the scourge of osu caste system that is used to reduce their follow igbo man with the same colour and language to sub human being. I never thought how serious this osu of a thing until my recent experience where a young man searxhing for job and I introduced him to well placed guy in oil industry who came from the same village with him but to my suprise to idiot after the meeting told me that he is ano osu and his people do not associate with them, I was shocked and asked him you and this guy who is outcaste because the osu here is you that will need transporter from me now or you trek home. Adichie stop seeking attention elsewhere come home ano speak for the few oppressed in your fatherland.
let him continue searching na. Maybe Adichie doesn't know bout this osu thing?
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by SmartyPants(m): 10:51am On Nov 15, 2016
LEAFLET:

I'm not here to trade words but guy I bet you haven't experienced racism.. That white man was trying to downplay how racist Trump is and he felt it's nothing serious. Are you kidding me?? I’m sure Chimmamanda meant that a white cannot define racism cos they’ve never experienced it. It is something that can be related to experientially. A white cannot tell me he understands racism because he's never experienced that.. You can only explain childbirth because of your perceived view of what it is or how you think it is. I've being in arguments a lot with with white youths trying to go through a J cole song, They relate to the vibes but can't really grasp the real meaning of his lyrics. There are also some aspects of society especially western societies that a black person cannot fully understand.. Things like "white privilege" and white guilt.. That's how it is so I think she was right and mind she smiled through it and tried to be as calm and composed as possible in explaining it to the man..

You are completely missing the point.

To define something has nothing to do with your experience of the thing. Racism is a term that does have it's own definition and you cannot ascribe your own definition to it irrespective of your experiences. It is as simple as that.

You do know that racism is a word in the dictionary right? So what right do you have to transcribe your subjective experience and interpretation (which varies from one person to another) into the universal meaning of the word??

What you could say subjectively, is that you feel discriminated against on the basis of race, and yes no one but you would be able to explain what that feels like, but the fact remains that racism has both a grammatical, objective meaning, and a legal meaning.

If only black people or other minority races could claim to know what racism is then how do you expect the outside world to deal with racism solely on the terms of that minority?

And yes i cannot say i have ever experienced racism even though i have traveled a bit, and spent some time in what is supposed to be the racist hotbed of North Carolina (home of the modern kkk), and i never once experienced racism. Instead i made a lot of great white friends, both old and young.

I believe people tend to arrive at the conclusions they set out to arrive at, which is why i do not buy into this racism, victim mentality.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by toprealman: 11:03am On Nov 15, 2016
OP you were busy going round and round the crux of the matter. No point made to really justify your assertion.
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Slapsticker: 11:15am On Nov 15, 2016
Folks with colour bn killed by the police is what? RACIST!!

White police bn killed is what? RACIST!!

COLOUR REGARDLESS, WE ALL GOT STUFF TO SAY ABOUT RACISM!!

denying that to me is also RACIST!!
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by Toofan007: 11:22am On Nov 15, 2016
SmartyPants:

You are completely missing the point.

To define something has nothing to do with your experience of the thing. Racism is a term that does have it's own definition and you cannot ascribe your own definition to it irrespective of your experiences. It is as simple as that.

You do know that racism is a word in the dictionary right? So what right do you have to transcribe your subjective experience and interpretation (which varies from one person to another) into the universal meaning of the word??

What you could say subjectively, is that you feel discriminated against on the basis of race, and yes no one but you would be able to explain what that feels like, but the fact remains that racism has both a grammatical, objective meaning, and a legal meaning.

If only black people or other minority races could claim to know what racism is then how do you expect the outside world to deal with racism solely on the terms of that minority?

And yes i cannot say i have ever experienced racism even though i have traveled a bit, and spent some time in what is supposed to be the racist hotbed of North Carolina (home of the modern kkk), and i never once experienced racism. Instead i made a lot of great white friends, both old and young.

I believe people tend to arrive at the conclusions they set out to arrive at, which is why i do not buy into this racism, victim mentality.
so because you haven't experienced it, it doesn't exit? I think you could accused of transcribing your subjective experience and interpretation to what racism should mean, based on the fact that you were able to make friends in North Carolina!
Re: Is Chimamanda Adichie A Racist? by 0ganiru: 11:33am On Nov 15, 2016
Isn't abdulrazaq's focus on her image and nairaland's promotion to fp tribalist(Hausa or Yoruba)/islamist?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Beginning Of A Teenage Love Affair. / My Personal Demon 18+ / == A Thief In The Church == ( A Short Story )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.