Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,489 members, 7,830,465 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:51 PM

Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? (23561 Views)

The Menace Of Boarding Houses For Secondary School Education. / Nkechi Chidi-Ogbolu Bags PHD Scholarship At University Of California At Age 18 / Azubuike Ezenwoke Appointed As Registrar In Landmark University At Age Of 32 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by chiefobdk(m): 8:21pm On Nov 22, 2016
Sugarhugs:

Dude. it was gce WAEC and from Ss1, I attempted it and I passed it then I decided not to continue sec school, I went straight to uni by January the following year, I'm not a dull student. I have a first class degree okay? You don't believe it, your effing business. Who you epp self when I they explain give you.

we dont believe u. i kno u re lying but continue
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Nov 22, 2016
Sugarhugs:

Nope. Just Java, pop and python. Would love to learn c# but it seems complicated and I don't have that time for it.

But Java's closely related to C#...you can conquer it if you really want to. And by "pop" you mean "PHP?

Is programming more like an hobby for you?
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by AlphaT1(m): 8:29pm On Nov 22, 2016
My elder brother who dropped out frm SS1 (he is 37yrs old now) received sense several yrs after our dad had passed away and accepted to return to school. He was already married with two kids. In 2012 he enrolled in a private lesson, registered for GCE and made 9 credits. He wrote JAMB and got admission to study BSc Biochemistry. He is in 400L now (rounding off very soon with a 4 point Something cgpa). I have convinced him to go for MSc soon after graduation and then PhD (he is interested in lecturing) and he is excited about it.

I am his third young bro. and I graduated at 23yrs in 2009 with a distinction. My younger sister (next to me) finished in 2012 in a 5yr course. These made him (my elder bro.) very discouraged and he felt he was too old but we encouraged him that age was just a number.....today u need to hear him speak about passion, determination and goal setting....

Just don't let age be ur limiting factor.. 24 is not even old.....

1 Like

Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by benedict100(m): 9:00pm On Nov 22, 2016
call 07032071872 as we offer waec and jamb services...)#Nobodyweynofitmakeam
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Nov 22, 2016
Sugarhugs:

Dude. it was gce WAEC and from Ss1, I attempted it and I passed it then I decided not to continue sec school, I went straight to uni by January the following year, I'm not a dull student. I have a first class degree okay? You don't believe it, your effing business. Who you epp self when I they explain give you.

Hi sugarhugs, did u sch in a private uni?
Pls I have a reason for asking.
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by elsomm(m): 9:04pm On Nov 22, 2016
Yes. Yes. Very much yes. You can.

Private lessons or better still go back to school

What you need most are Humility and Determination.

Temptations and challenges will come, but if u are focused on ur goal, you will overcome. You have plenty time to achieve ur dreams.

God bless you and multiply the successes in ur efforts big and small
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by Seunvense(m): 9:04pm On Nov 22, 2016
vodutive:
you write better than many graduates, you sound more intelligent than many graduates. If you want to go back to school by all means do so, but I doubt the Nigerian educational system will improve you or your job prospects more than what I can see from your initial post. My advice is get an internationally recognized qualification that can lead to immediate employment, there are many courses you can take on the internet for free.
HOW CAN ONE FIND FREE COURSES ON THE INTERNET PLEASE?
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by Nobody: 9:14pm On Nov 22, 2016
Seunvense:
HOW CAN ONE FIND FREE COURSES ON THE INTERNET PLEASE?

start by googling "free online courses" plus there are many free tutorials on virually any subject on youtube

Decide what subject or skill you want to pursue. eg software or project management, programming, accountancy, marketing. whatever it may be beleive me the syllabus and course materials are online. Then look for the certification body and do the exams.
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by emeka4: 9:38pm On Nov 22, 2016
well i have little advice for u. experience they say is the best teacher. i was 24yr when i went back to secondary school, so ur case is not exceptional. just enrol bck and reduce ur age probably to 17yr dat will help u in future believe me.
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by saajus: 10:11pm On Nov 22, 2016
You can study on your own and be whatever you want to be.

First, decide what you want to do. Science, commercial or humanity (art)...You are 24 .. You are still young. You can achieve anything you want. You wanna be a Doctor, programmer,Accountant, etc. In this present country and world situation, I will advise you go for science. Honestly,if you can dedicate 4 hours daily from today,you will be very smart in next 5 years. Forget flexing.Reduce friends.Focus. After your daily work, stay indoor and study..

Nothing comes easy..You have no excuse ..You just have to fulfill your dreams..You are in the right place. We Nairlanders won't leave you until you knock out your dreams and visions.Let us know if you need books, mentor or any help.

utibense:
I droped out of secondary sch.after I failed my SS1 3rd term exam, this hapened because I lost my dad so there was no one to pay my sch fees n provide my needs I was not allowed to write some papers because I didn't pay my fee, dat was how I failed d exam dat was supose to promote me to SS2, I was forced by circumstance to leave school. And since den I've bn working in some hotels trying to survive
I've Wished to work n attend sch. But work won't give me time
I'm 24 n already living in my own rented apartment.
Now I want to further my education but don't know how to go abt it since I didn't even reach SS3
Also I have house rent and other Bills to take care of
I really need advice from you guys Pls. What should I do?.
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Nov 22, 2016
truthsayer007:

Hi sugarhugs, did u sch in a private uni?
Pls I have a reason for asking.

Yes. Covenant.
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Nov 22, 2016
Haute:

But Java's closely related to C#...you can conquer it if you really want to. And by "pop" you mean "PHP?

Is programming more like an hobby for you?

Damn autocorrect. Yes PHP. Yup it's a hubby for me.

I just want to be able to design beautiful Web pages. That's all. Don't want to be a hard core programmer.
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by comrChris(m): 11:17pm On Nov 22, 2016
u can bro, determination is the key here. I know of a guy that got admission at 34 after years of writing jamb
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by Seunvense(m): 11:45pm On Nov 22, 2016
vodutive:

start by googling "free online courses" plus there are many free tutorials on virually any subject on youtube

Decide what subject or skill you want to pursue. eg software or project management, programming, accountancy, marketing. whatever it may be beleive me the syllabus and course materials are online. Then look for the certification body and do the exams.
THANKS
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by ndubueze92(m): 12:08am On Nov 23, 2016
AfribaryChika:
I can take you on arts courses!
Teacher nawoah.... no teach am nonsense oo.
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by PhonePlanet(m): 12:45am On Nov 23, 2016
utibense:
Thanks a lot for your contributions, It helped. Now I'm thinking about how to manage my work and school, my current job doesn't give me much time so I'm thinking of how to get a job that is day on- a day off.
if you can remain focused and study hard. then you may not need to register anywhere. just get textbooks, past question, and visit the internet for video tutotials. and just prepare for waec & jamb. with this means, you can study after work or when youre free. but this would take extra focus and dedication than attending a phsical class.
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by PhonePlanet(m): 12:48am On Nov 23, 2016
Sugarhugs:

I just want to be able to design beautiful Web pages. That's all. Don't want to be a hard core programmer.
what you mean is, you want to focus on front-end and learn how to use mockup languages and not back-end with actual programming launguages.
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by Nobody: 12:50am On Nov 23, 2016
Sugarhugs:

That's a cool money-spinning hobby to have. Would you describe yourself as an artistic person?
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by PhonePlanet(m): 12:59am On Nov 23, 2016
Sugarhugs:

Nope. Just Java, pop and python. Would love to learn c# but it seems complicated and I don't have that time for it.
i also dont know c# but i know java. however i doubt c# is complicated. because its the newest of those class of programming languages and someone that knows the two(java & c#) told me that the both languages are very similar.
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by PhonePlanet(m): 1:08am On Nov 23, 2016
GMbuharii:

if you love urself,you better go back to school. U are more matured and intelligent now,ur brain can grasp more now. Go back asap.
actually the younger you are the more you learn. your learning abilities only rise from age 1 - 4, and from then onward drops as you age.
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by TalkingBird: 1:53am On Nov 23, 2016
Yes you can.
But, remember we have so many graduates roaming the streets. So keep to what you are doing already. Get to an adult school and finish up what is left.
Alternatively enroll in what we call extra moral lesson and finish it up there.
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by CashVessel(m): 4:37am On Nov 23, 2016
utibense:
I droped out of secondary sch.after I failed my SS1 3rd term exam, this hapened because I lost my dad so there was no one to pay my sch fees n provide my needs I was not allowed to write some papers because I didn't pay my fee, dat was how I failed d exam dat was supose to promote me to SS2, I was forced by circumstance to leave school. And since den I've bn working in some hotels trying to survive
I've Wished to work n attend sch. But work won't give me time
I'm 24 n already living in my own rented apartment.
Now I want to further my education but don't know how to go abt it since I didn't even reach SS3
Also I have house rent and other Bills to take care of
I really need advice from you guys Pls. What should I do?.

why not? You are still young and can be a graduate before 30 if you put in great effort. Just attend evening classes to brush yourself up and read hard. it will even be easier in terms of understanding. No look any person face...o

1 Like

Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by Roseey0(f): 7:06am On Nov 23, 2016
For me,
Forget tutorial centre.
Why?
Most student there already have little knowledge of what is being taught. Whoever is teaching them, will teach like the topics aren't new to them. If you have being in a class where majority has previous knowledge of the subject of discussion, you will understand where I am driving to.

If I was in your shoes this is what I will do.
Get Waec and Neco syllabus and come up with you own syllabus.
Get approved textbooks that contains all in your combined syllabus.
Create a time table for it and discipline yourself to complete it in one year.
It's not going to be easy, because it means you will cover ss1-3 work in one year. If you can even do it in 6months, fine and good.
Then proceed to a dedicated tutorial centre to reinforce what you have been learning all this while.
It is important you take exams in between, so get a reliable teacher, get Waec past question and answer them under strict exam condition. This will prepare you psychologically for any exam in the future. Let the teacher grade you and advise you on how to answer and attempt exam question. Knowing the answers and knowing how to put it down is what makes a good student.

In another way
What exactly are your aspiration in life?
The mover of this world dropped out of school at some point and still achieved all they could think of.
Open your mind and think. Save and invest.
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by Nobody: 7:07am On Nov 23, 2016
PhonePlanet:

what you mean is, you want to focus on front-end and learn how to use mockup languages and not back-end with actual programming launguages.

It's both, HTML, css and Java for front end. Then use PHP or python for back end development.
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by Nobody: 7:07am On Nov 23, 2016
Haute:

That's a cool money-spinning hobby to have. Would you describe yourself as an artistic person?

Yes, definitely, I'm very artistic.
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by RillJ(m): 7:47am On Nov 23, 2016
Amen! Bless you too.

EternalTruth:
God bless you for this
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by mapet: 7:55am On Nov 23, 2016
nwasinachi:
You can go for private tutorials and prepare for waec

I think this is a better approach. Continue with your work, read aggressively at night and at free times, attend tutorials on Saturday. Buy lots of past questions and answer them like creed........
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by fpeter(f): 9:18am On Nov 23, 2016
Millz404:
Ogbeni read well, do tutorials and goan write waec..... Which one is further secondary school education undecided

grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by Nobody: 9:49am On Nov 23, 2016
Sugarhugs:

It's both, HTML, css and Java for front end. Then use PHP or python for back end development.

If you good enough

I have an offer for you
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by Nobody: 10:07am On Nov 23, 2016
Sugarhugs:

Yes. Covenant.

Oh I see, goes in line with my assumptions.

It's very hard to move straight to Federal or State Uni the next yr after GCE without issues, only possible thru a private Uni. And then ur parent can afford it too.

So your social life was zero, all throughout school right? bcuz thats the only way a 1st class is achievable.
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by PhonePlanet(m): 10:56am On Nov 23, 2016
Sugarhugs:

java scipt not java
Re: Can I Further My Secondary School Education At Age 24? by seawhite: 11:08am On Nov 23, 2016
Visit
www.seawhite.tk
For your latest 2017 JAMB,WAEC,NECO,GCE/NABTEB expo exam live questions/answers.
You can call/sms 08137837198 or
Whatsapp 08137837198 or
Add us on 2go(This goes to those whose phone can nolonger allow to be doing whatsapp after 31st of December)
Add
Seawhiteanswers
On 2go for details on how to get your upcoming 2017 JAMB,WAEC,NECO,GCE/NABTEB Expo answers help

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Polytechnic Offa SUG: The Cult Awards In Circulation Are Fake / Course Unit System -UI (7) Versus OAU (5) / The Cruelty Of Most School Owners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.