Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,513 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" (36966 Views)

Mistakes Public Universities Students Make / Atiku: My Restructuring Does Not Involve Change In Current Sharing Of Oil Money / Atiku My Father Jailed For Not Sending Me To School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by danidee10(m): 10:41am On Nov 19, 2016
sava2:
Wole Soyinka , Nobel price winner went to public school

That was when educationa was still good not now

Anyway thunder fire atiku and his 2019 dream angry
Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by Irepib(m): 10:42am On Nov 19, 2016
This man want to rule
Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by Charly68: 10:42am On Nov 19, 2016
TruthisGOD:
Educated fool. He thinks that the mere speaking of English shows how intelligent one is. That is how the ruin the country with their warp and poor mentality thoughts. Try those kids in Physics and Maths quiz in a neutral enviroment, you'll know how intelligent they are.
He was part of those that ruined the system,now he is blaming the unfortunate students. He is a big fool for saying this kind of nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by Abuleoshi: 10:45am On Nov 19, 2016
TruthisGOD:
Educated fool. He thinks that the mere speaking of English shows how intelligent one is. That is how the ruin the country with their warp and poor mentality thoughts. Try those kids in Physics and Maths quiz in a neutral enviroment, you'll know how intelligent they are.
If Atiku sees your comment, "he will say didn't I say it". You said That is how "the" ruin the country...
Abeg always read your comments well because Atiku is a member of Nairaland and he sees these mistakes and laughs at us Nigerian graduates!

1 Like

Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by keziejohn: 10:48am On Nov 19, 2016
grin[/color]
sava2:
May be in the east where goodluck Jonathan comes from.

It shows.

They cheat in exam in the east. That why they score high marks.

They too many as minister in Buhari govt that why they are not doing well
[color=#000000]
sava2:

It shows.

sava2:

It shows.

Just take a look at your composition. Judging by grammer alone you shouldn't have the right to comment on any section here ever!
Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by devvland(m): 10:48am On Nov 19, 2016
sava2:
Nigerian are smart people, they tried to clone human.

They have bad government. Not that they are not smart.

What I believe is the way an individual take education. I Alway read every day. Because you get older and you start losing your momery. So I try to read all day. to gain back my momery of event, this why I am online.

I want to remember things.

I went to school under the military, I never had civillian government education. But it looks the civilian are doing bad.

We should not shoot the messenger. Or throw away the baby with the bath water.

From all the irritation exhibited here you would think that there is no truth in Atiku's statement. But thats how Nigerians react to issues...without separating the facts from fiction.

Yes, Atiku was over praising his product...but then again he is a businessman. So no surprise there.

About Education falling behind in Nigeria... You only need to read comments on Nairaland or any other online forum (eg Facebook posts) to know it's true.

And before you start advancing the argument that knowledge of English doesn't mean knowledge of Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Literature, Economics, etc, please remember that these subjects have their instruction materials prepared in English. Hence, any incompetence in English will to a great degree affect a student’s competence in these academic fields. Also before you advance the Chinese example, remember that in China students are taught with textbooks and other instruction materials prepared in the Chinese language.

Look around you. How many older folks who only attended STANDARD SIX in the old days murder grammar the way the present generation does. How many intellectuals commit lingual abominations when they open their mouth or when they write?

Today, a University graduate does not know the difference between "has" and "have" or "do" and "does". So you hear a graduate saying "I doesn't like people who has no sense". It's pathetic. The sooner we stop embracing and making excuses for mediocrity the sooner we will grow as a people.

Lastly, most people here are irritated because UNIZIK was mentioned. Let me break it to you...you are missing the point here. Stop carrying an evil child because you are the mother!!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by Nobody: 10:52am On Nov 19, 2016
sava2:
In an English speaking country. Yes.

Many Nigerian do speak good English.

Nigerian speak better English than American or Canadian.

Nigerian speak the Queen's English.

90% of American or Canadian will fail the GCE exam.

Simple sentence you can't make correctly and you have the guts to write this poo *autocorrect

2 Likes

Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by Nobody: 10:52am On Nov 19, 2016
sava2:
...attended a public school.
Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by Missonas(f): 10:53am On Nov 19, 2016
And why wont it be when you stole govt money to build up ur private business

1 Like

Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by Nobody: 10:54am On Nov 19, 2016
Blainz:

Simple sentence you can't make correctly and you have the gots to write this poo
...guts...
Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by Olumaeme: 10:56am On Nov 19, 2016
Truth be Told, Some Nigerian Graduates are embarrassment to degree not just in public universities, also private.
Because we all know all you need to be in a private University is money and money alone. While it's strictly reading to pass and memorizing to pour back for lecturers in public schools

One of my friends graduated with first class from Landmark University and you shake your head when he contributes to issues sometimes.

1 Like

Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by OPCNAIRALAND: 11:02am On Nov 19, 2016
I hope that statement did not come from Atiku. Is this the person some people are promoting for Presidency? This is a very irresponsible statement from a public official regarding public education.

1 Like

Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by devvland(m): 11:20am On Nov 19, 2016
ColonelDrake:
I seem not to understand why people mistake eloquence for intelligence.

English is a second language in Nigeria. You can't pick ELOQUENCE, sorry FLUENCY... You can't pick up fluency on the streets unless you want to spend the rest of your life saying: "let me come and be going, if they like let them be staying here and be speaking grammar"

See what I mean?

In Nigeria's school curriculum English is a subject like any other. It has rules and nuances and if we don't apply ourselves to study, we will never learn these foundations and will therefore always lack in those areas. This same theory applies to other subjects.

Now it is true that one can't possibly be perfect in all subjects, however, one would expect that a subject that carries others on its back and which we spend at least 15 years of our formative years learning... one would expect that we have a decent degree of mastery over it.

The fact that 80% of us lack this mastery speaks ill of both our education sector and the education we have received.
This is a question of the effectiveness of the type of education we receive in this country. Not a question of intelligence. Not exactly.

1 Like

Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by devvland(m): 11:24am On Nov 19, 2016
ZUBY77:

No its not an insult
Most public university students are as dumb as the government that manages the schools.

Well said
Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by tunde5292(m): 11:29am On Nov 19, 2016
This insult is too much. Ah University graduate to secondary school students. After they spoiled the whole system of education.

1 Like

Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by TruthisGOD: 11:30am On Nov 19, 2016
MrSly:

Sure physics and maths are technical and denote knowledge. However, a graduate who cannot express thoughts, ideas, etc with at least error free simple sentences is simply dull and not worthy of the name "varsity graduate"
You're wrong. As a graduate engineer, I've taught in school. English is just a language. Moreover, if you're brought up in a family with English as the speaking language, you'll be fluent in English just like being brought up with your native language. In addition, most parents send their lads to queens school that emphasizes more on English language but not good in technical subjects. Experience has shown me that using English as a yardstick for ones intelligent academically is navety. I've seen students that can't speak good English because of family background but are very good in Maths and Physics which are my yardstick of measuring how intelligent one is expecially in science related fields. Little wonder most schools give little emphasis on English as their selection criteria with respect to engineering and science courses. Futhermore in my field, I've seen some expertriate (Chinese) that cannot speak good English but they're technically and computationally sound! Finally what develops a country is how technically engaged they citizens are, not how fluent they speak a language like English.
Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by devvland(m): 11:31am On Nov 19, 2016
elfmann:

...guts...
grin grin grin
Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by BeauHomme: 11:33am On Nov 19, 2016
9jaBloke:
Chai UNIZIK

cheesy grin cheesy

When Atiku visited their radio station and folks were 'repping' the school, I was just watching cheesy
Now the verdict is given cool

But Atiku rude sha!!

2 Likes

Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by checkout50: 11:35am On Nov 19, 2016
This is wrong and annoying, coming from one of our past leaders. As a One time leader, you are making mockery of the citizenry and forgot that 2019 is around the corner. Nigerians and your oppositions will put that in mind. God bless the federal republic of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by deltapikin(m): 11:39am On Nov 19, 2016
If he thinks so let him sponsor an academic competition between private universities and public universities with his university as the host in various fields. This will help him to know whether his deduction is right or wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by Orikinla(m): 11:39am On Nov 19, 2016
sava2:
The igbos talk about their first cars. When yoruba
have been making cars from 1971

Proof.
Prof. Ayodele Awojobi's amphibious vehicle?

1 Like

Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by Sirheny007(m): 11:43am On Nov 19, 2016
Well it got me thinking...
'American University of Nigeria..'?? angry
i dont understand a thing..

Development or what?
Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by citizenY(m): 11:43am On Nov 19, 2016
sava2:

Me, I get B. Sc. Atiku no get. Even the honorary degree is in ....THIEVERY... dem just no wan tell am.

2 Likes

Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by devvland(m): 11:45am On Nov 19, 2016
TruthisGOD:
You're wrong. As a graduate engineer, I've taught in school. English is just a language. Moreover, if you're brought up in a family with English as the speaking language, you'll be fluent in English just like being brought up with your native language. In addition, most parents send their lads to queens school that emphasizes more on English language but not good in technical subjects. Experience has shown me that using English as a yardstick for ones intelligent academically is navety. I've seen students that can't speak good English because of family background but are very good in Maths and Physics which are my yardstick of measuring how intelligent one is expecially in science related fields. Little wonder most schools give little emphasis on English as their selection criteria with respect to engineering and science courses. Futhermore in my field, I've seen some expertriate (Chinese) that cannot speak good English but they're technically and computationally sound! Finally what develops a country is how technically engaged they citizens are, not how fluent they speak a language like English.

You are missing the point, bro.
This entire thread is a focus on education as a decaying system with English as a case study. Not a focus on IQ. But of course I understand how the issue ruffles your feathers.

1 Like

Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by abah4real: 11:46am On Nov 19, 2016
Atiku's university (not secondary sch.) was not among the best listed. we heard of UI, OAU etc wat a shamefull talk from ex - VP.send him to Donald Trump 4 re education plz

1 Like

Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by mixratio(m): 11:49am On Nov 19, 2016
[quote author=saintmark88 post=51160912]What an insult!!!!!!!!!!!? U see. He is correct. Wonder what a question mark is doing at the end of your statement.
Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by valarinz: 11:53am On Nov 19, 2016
sava2:
Nigerian are smart people, they tried to clone human.

They have bad government. Not that they are not smart.

What I believe is the way an individual take education. I Alway read every day. Because you get older and you start losing your momery. So I try to read all day. to gain back my momery of event, this why I am online.

I want to remember things.

I went to school under the military, I never had civillian government education. But it looks the civilian are doing bad.

See as you just totally murdered English language and yet you keep saying igbo cheat and yoruba is laid back, if this is truly how intelligent the yorubas are then they're finished, fortunately that's not the case

Bloody bigot looking for igbo vs yoruba fight but stinks of illiteracy from all angles. Poor sentence construction, poor thought out words and articulation, terrible spelling and punctuation, it's people like you that makes the likes of Atiku insult us, smh

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by sadiqabuch: 11:54am On Nov 19, 2016
Atikuuu "He pointed out that only quality education could bring about technology development in any country in the world, not oil, gold or other mineral resources". It is TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENT sir!
Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by EreluY(f): 11:59am On Nov 19, 2016
[size=16pt]I carefully read what Atiku reportedly said. Whilst I neither love nor loathe him, I totally agree with everything he reportedly said. Most Nigerian university graduates are certificated but uneducated. To cite an example, the other day, the HOD of English at Uni Ilorin, one Dr Idiagbon, responded in a video recording to allegations of sexual misconduct. It's hard to believe that guy was HOD English. Besides, many Nigerian university graduates lack critical thinking and logical reasoning. I've written here in the past about shoddy publications of Nigerian university lecturers and professors - the quality is simply abysmal.[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by FelixOkonta(m): 12:00pm On Nov 19, 2016
Hmmm!
Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by Nobody: 12:00pm On Nov 19, 2016
With the comments have been reading, Atiku just said the truth.

2 Likes

Re: Atiku: "My Secondary School Students Better Than Public Universities Students" by TruthisGOD: 12:06pm On Nov 19, 2016
devvland:

You are missing the point, bro.
This entire thread is a focus on education as a decaying system with English as a case study. Not a focus on IQ. But of course I understand how the issue ruffles your feathers.
Read his statement well, especially the second paragraph. The undertone there is that a graduate who cannot speak good English is not intelligent, hence can't fit well in private industries. Logically from his speech, we can conclude that what prompted him to make that statement was because he heard both students from different schools addressed him in English language.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

BREAKING: Acting IGP Orders Disbandment Of FSARS, Others / Buhari Approved Naira Redesign, CBN Replies Finance Minister / Ade Adefuye Dies (Nigerian Ambassador To U.S)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.