Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,651 members, 7,816,666 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:48 PM

Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This (5051 Views)

20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church / Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by Kobojunkie: 5:21pm On Oct 24, 2021
MyExpression:

How do they learn it?
I've heard this accusation of Christ embassy countless times and it shocks me to the bones...coz I attend same church yet I've never been told such Jack yet I pray in tongues and most of my set that joined the church at the same time still pray in tongues and most have had a deeper rship with God.

It's not taught in Christ embassy, however, you can claim that it is learnt by association; one begins to pick up the words from what is heard and can gradually speak in such manner.
Yet, speaking it consistently doesn't take practice, it's a state of mind or spirit, that allows you flow comfortably in unknown tongues without any doubts or questioning your actions.
What is speak is gibberish tongues- glossolalia as described by the OP. undecided
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by MyExpression(m): 5:40pm On Oct 24, 2021
Kobojunkie:
What is speak is gibberish tongues- glossolalia as described by the OP. undecided

It could be gibberish for all I care (Glossolalia) but the trends these days shows that people don't do it with an intention of mischief but with the intent of communicating with God; and its usually done while praying, not in unproductive talks just to prove a point.

Like I don't think of a line or a next word. I just make up my mind to speak and the words come out as I keep releasing my vocal expressions with the same emotion I put into praying in known language.
It's all a frame of mind/spirit.
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by Kobojunkie: 5:48pm On Oct 24, 2021
MyExpression:
It could be gibberish for all I care (Glossolalia) but the trends these days shows that people don't do it with an intention of mischief but with the intent of communicating with God; and its usually done while praying, not in unproductive talks just to prove a point.

Like I don't think of a line or a next word. I just make up my mind to speak and the words come out as I keep releasing my vocal expressions with the same emotion I put into praying in known language.
It's all a frame of mind/spirit.
The intent isn't what matters but the source and this because those who speak it have allowed themselves be deceived by the very same false teachers and prophets that Jesus Christ warned vehemently against. undecided

There is indeed spirit behind the speaking in gibberish phenomenon and I know this because it had happened to be in my own past as well. That spirit, mimics the authentic in causing a set of syllables to flow out of one's mouth. The catch is the spirit is rooted in lies and not the Truth of Jesus Christ and this because the hearts in question are filled with the doctrines and traditions of men , lies, rather then the Truth of God -Matthew 15 vs 1 - 20 undecided

True Speaking in tongues, which is the speaking of an actual human foreign tongue, is none of what is practiced in your churches at all and it is not invoked either nor as controlled. undecided
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by MyExpression(m): 9:03pm On Oct 24, 2021
Kobojunkie:
The intent isn't what matters but the source and this because those who speak it have allowed themselves be deceived by the very same false teachers and prophets that Jesus Christ warned vehemently against. undecided

There is indeed spirit behind the speaking in gibberish phenomenon and I know this because it had happened to be in my own past as well. That spirit, mimics the authentic in causing a set of syllables to flow out of one's mouth. The catch is the spirit is rooted in lies and not the Truth of Jesus Christ and this because the hearts in question are filled with the doctrines and traditions of men , lies, rather then the Truth of God -Matthew 15 vs 1 - 20 undecided

True Speaking in tongues, which is the speaking of an actual human foreign tongue, is none of what is practiced in your churches at all and it is not invoked either nor as controlled. undecided

If there is such a spirit, then I dare say most of us are yoked then.

But like the House of Cornelius, if we have good intention towards God, and we are going about I the wrong way, God will be just; to show us a right way and take us out of the wrong.
We can't be wholeheartedly praying to our God in a wrong way na...e beta say make we continue to dey pray in our understanding, if God Himself will not intervene and lead us aright.
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by Kobojunkie: 10:00pm On Oct 24, 2021
MyExpression:
If there is such a spirit, then I dare say most of us are yoked then.

But like the House of Cornelius, if we have good intention towards God, and we are going about I the wrong way, God will be just; to show us a right way and take us out of the wrong.
We can't be wholeheartedly praying to our God in a wrong way na...e beta say make we continue to dey pray in our understanding, if God Himself will not intervene and lead us aright.
What the house of Cornelius had was more than good intentions. They had truth and we sought God for more of it. undecided

What many who claim to have good intentions do is seek out men to feed them this truth. They enter into yokes with men who claim to be of God but peddle instead lies and deceit through their doctrines and traditions. Jesus Christ warned against such men - Matthew 15 vs 1 - 14. undecided

Consider this... can you say you whole heartedly seek God in prayer when you blatantly ignore God's very Word and commandments where seeking Him in prayer in concerned? undecided

For instance, God commands that when you pray to Him that you do so in secret , where no one can hear you and no one can see you. He also commands that you avoid vain repetitions, and He also taught you to pray the Lord's prayer when you want to pray - Matthew 6 vs 5 - 15. Do you think God was being foolish when He commanded these things of you, this instead of what you currently do today for your own selves ? undecided

Jesus Christ said His friends are those who do as He asks , and that those who belong to Him are those who submit to and obey His teachings and commandments - John 15 vs 14 & John 14 vs 15 - 25 & Matthew 24 - 29. God's standard for good intentions was set over 2000 years ago. Either you rise to it, realizing your current standard is not good enough by Him,or you accept that God is not for you. undecided
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by hupernikao: 10:09pm On Oct 24, 2021
KingEbukaNaija:
Glossolalia, a phenomenon sometimes referred to as “ecstatic utterances,” is the uttering of unintelligible, language-like sounds while in a state of ecstasy. Glossolalia is sometimes confused with xenoglossia, which is the biblical “gift of tongues.” However, whereas glossolalia is babbling in a nonexistent language, xenoglossia is the ability to speak fluently a language the speaker has never learned.

Additionally, whereas xenoglossia is not an innate or natural ability, studies have shown that glossolalia is a learned behavior. Research conducted by the Lutheran Medical Center demonstrates that glossolalia is readily learned by following simple instructions. Correspondingly, it was found that students could exhibit “speaking in tongues” in the absence of any indications of trance-like stupor or behaviors. Another test conducted with sixty students showed that after listening to a one-minute sample of glossolalia, 20 percent were able to imitate it precisely. After some training, 70 percent succeeded.

In just about every part of the world, glossolalia can be observed. Pagan religions all over the world are obsessed with tongues. These include the Shamans in the Sudan, the Shango cult of the West Coast of Africa, the Zor cult of Ethiopia, the Voodoo cult in Haiti, and the Aborigines of South America and Australia. Murmuring or speaking gibberish that is construed to be deep mystical insight by holy men is an ancient practice.

There are basically two aspects to glossolalia. First is talking or murmuring in language-like sounds. Practically everyone is able to do this; even children before they ever learn to speak can mimic real language, though unintelligibly. There is nothing extraordinary about this. The other aspect of glossolalia is ecstasy or the demonstration of trance-like elation. There is nothing unusual about this either, although it is more difficult to do intentionally than to merely utter language-like sounds.

There are some Christians, especially within the Pentecostal movement, who believe there is a supernatural explanation for glossolalia similar to that described in the New Testament. They believe that the chief purpose of the gift of speaking in tongues is to manifest the Holy Spirit being poured out upon them just as on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2), which was prophesied by Joel (Acts 2:17).

Among those Christian churches who do espouse the practice of glossolalia to one degree or another, there is no uniform agreement as to its workings. For example, some are adamant that it is indeed a gift of the Holy Spirit, while others minimize its importance, saying Paul taught that the gift of “speaking in tongues” wasn’t nearly as important as the other gifts of the Holy Spirit (see 1 Corinthians 13). Also, there are those wishing to avoid dividing the church on such issues by not speaking of it at all or dismissing it as a simple psychological experience. Then there are those who regard glossolalia as a deception of Satan himself.

Exotic languages are heard and understood throughout the world, but existing languages are not heard or understood when spoken as “ecstatic utterances” or “tongues.” What we do hear is a profusion of hype, claims, confusion, and noise. We simply cannot declare, as at the time of the first church, that “each of us hears [understands] them in his own native language” (Acts 2:8 NIV).

Simply put, the practice of glossolalia is not the biblical gift of tongues. Paul made it clear that the chief purpose of the gift of speaking in tongues was to be a sign for those who did not believe and to spread the good news, the gospel of Christ (1 Corinthians 14:19, 22).

https://gotquestions.org/glossolalia.html

. Not sure the author of this read Paul well.

He will need to reread him well to put up a better argument.
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by MyExpression(m): 12:06am On Oct 25, 2021
uvalued:
please king...read this ebook fir clarity thanks https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxrT0F-mwJf1NWdGelk3enMzZ2M

God bless you.

This is a rich material that settles all this debates.

Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by MyExpression(m): 12:17am On Oct 25, 2021
Kobojunkie:
What the house of Cornelius had was more than good intentions. They had truth and we sought God for more of it. undecided
undecided

House of Cornelius had truth on a wrong foundation...gentile.
David had his wrongs, yet he produced the lineage of Jesus.
Abraham lied. Moses killed. Elijah was arrogant.
Jonah. Joshua. Solomon. Paul. Peter.....all has their frailties but the heart towards God was what made them stories to reckon.

Paul was persecuting the church as a rightful law keeper...until God showed him the right way to do RIGHT.

If I'm in a wrong path but with heart towards God, it is His standard to set me on the right path too.

Meanwhile, xenoglossia and glossolalia are both biblical experience.

And I've found out that I'm actually on the right path. However if I'm wrong, let God be the judge on the last day. We know in part and I have not refused knowledge. I suggest you open your mind to see what was really happening in the book of Acts.
(See attached image in my last post)
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by Kobojunkie: 12:21am On Oct 25, 2021
MyExpression:
God bless you.

This is a rich material that settles all this debates.
How can imbibing more of the doctrines and traditions of men, the same lies which Jesus Christ warned you is an abomination where the Truth of God is concerned, settle this? undecided
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by MyExpression(m): 12:35am On Oct 25, 2021
Kobojunkie:
How can imbibing more of the doctrines and traditions of men, the same lies which Jesus Christ warned you is an abomination where the Truth of God is concerned, settle this? undecided

Traditions of men?

That material cited the scriptures in a constructive manner, showing us the linkage between both types of tongues.

This thing you call gibberish has been in existence since the bible days. It is not new. Speaking in a foreign tongue and speaking in unknown tongues both existed at same time, and Paul addressed this explicitly.

How are you guys not seeing the truth of the scripture?
Are you guys being intentionally biased or you do not understand what is written in plain English, even when the connecting dots have been shown to you?!

What is your idea of the true and false tongue? Perhaps we can discuss from your angle of belief.
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by MyExpression(m): 12:44am On Oct 25, 2021
Kobojunkie:

The scriptures shows that Speaking in tongues is not only human foreign language but also Includes language not understood by anyone...tongue of angels.

The scriptures also shows it can be controlled and initiated at will.

I would have been quoting plenty but that material has done all the quoting necessary.

You think the spirit makes us mimic the false teachers, but the Truth of Christ as is in the Bible, shows we are actually on the right track and perhaps, our teachers are not false in that regard.
The preachers might show some imperfections but this practice is the truth of the Bible.
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by Kobojunkie: 1:50am On Oct 25, 2021
MyExpression:
House of Cornelius had truth on a wrong foundation...gentile.
David had his wrongs, yet he produced the lineage of Jesus.
Abraham lied. Moses killed. Elijah was arrogant.
Jonah. Joshua. Solomon. Paul. Peter.....all has their frailties but the heart towards God was what made them stories to reckon.

Paul was persecuting the church as a rightful law keeper...until God showed him the right way to do RIGHT.

If I'm in a wrong path but with heart towards God, it is His standard to set me on the right path too.

Meanwhile, xenoglossia and glossolalia are both biblical experience.

And I've found out that I'm actually on the right path. However if I'm wrong, let God be the judge on the last day. We know in part and I have not refused knowledge. I suggest you open your mind to see what was really happening in the book of Acts.
(See attached image in my last post)
Cornelius did not have Truth on a wrong foundation. If he did, he wouldn't have asked God for His Truth but would have sort out men, false teachers and prophets of his own understanding to suckle from as many today do. undecided

Again...What the house of Cornelius had was more than good intentions. They had truth and we sought God for more of it. undecided

What many who claim to have good intentions do is seek out men to feed them this truth. They enter into yokes with men who claim to be of God but peddle instead lies and deceit through their doctrines and traditions. Jesus Christ warned against such men - Matthew 15 vs 1 - 14. undecided

Consider this... can you say you whole heartedly seek God in prayer when you blatantly ignore God's very Word and commandments where seeking Him in prayer in concerned? undecided

For instance, God commands that when you pray to Him that you do so in secret , where no one can hear you and no one can see you. He also commands that you avoid vain repetitions, and He also taught you to pray the Lord's prayer when you want to pray - Matthew 6 vs 5 - 15. Do you think God was being foolish when He commanded these things of you, this instead of what you currently do today for your own selves ? undecided

Jesus Christ said His friends are those who do as He asks , and that those who belong to Him are those who submit to and obey His teachings and commandments - John 15 vs 14 & John 14 vs 15 - 25 & Matthew 24 - 29. God's standard for good intentions was set over 2000 years ago. Either you rise to it, realizing your current standard is not good enough by Him,or you accept that God is not for you. undecided
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by Kobojunkie: 1:54am On Oct 25, 2021
MyExpression:

Traditions of men?

That material cited the scriptures in a constructive manner, showing us the linkage between both types of tongues.
This thing you call gibberish has been in existence since the bible days. It is not new. Speaking in a foreign tongue and speaking in unknown tongues both existed at same time, and Paul addressed this explicitly.
How are you guys not seeing the truth of the scripture?
Are you guys being intentionally biased or you do not understand what is written in plain English, even when the connecting dots have been shown to you?!

What is your idea of the true and false tongue? Perhaps we can discuss from your angle of belief.
I am afraid you are mistaken about that material. All it contains are doctrines and traditions of men fashioned to deceive people away from the Truth of God about the subject of speaking in tongues. And you might ask what the Truth of God is and the answer is that it is Jesus Christ, every Word written of our of God's Mouth. undecided

Jesus Christ only taught us that spewing in tongues is a sign to follow those who believe in Him - No Holy Spirit necessary. That article there pretends the Holy Spirit is involved in the gift which Jesus Christ bestowed on His followers, not on those who are become Holy/Perfect aka Sons of God. undecided

P.S. The Holy Spirit can only indwell Holy/Perfect vessels that are no longer bound in slavery to sin. And only those who attain this through life lived in continual submission and obedience of the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ, the Truth of God are be set free from bondage to Sin by the Truth to become Sons of God - John 8 vs 31 - 44 undecided
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by MyExpression(m): 6:06am On Oct 25, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Cornelius did not have Truth on a wrong foundation. If he did, he wouldn't have asked God for His Truth but would have sort out men, false teachers and prophets of his own understanding to suckle from as many today do. undecided

Again...What the house of Cornelius had was more than good intentions. They had truth and we sought God for more of it. undecided

Now I see your angle...and it is a very good one.

We should seek for God in prayer, in our secret place, and not in men or churches. That's sometimes where the confusion and indoctrination starts from. That's where we give them access to thwart our minds and spirit with their skewed truths misconstrued from the Bible.

This is very salient.

However, what now happens to the promised Holyspirit that was sent eventually.
The whole book of Acts and the subsequent books of the Bible....what do we do with that volume of information?
Are they doctrines, especially since they are recorded events that happened after the death of Cnrist...?
Because they contain some deep teachings on the part of the Holy spirit in Christianity.

How do we believe the 4 gospels only- the actual life of Jesus Christ...and disbelieve the other bulky parts...including the old testament?

Well, if you have enough faith in just the life and teachings of Jesus Christ, and it's working for you, great!

But it will be hard for me to invalidate the rest of the bible...because the same Catholic canonical compiled the full books.

We either believe them all in its entirety, or invalidate them all.

I can not pick and choose.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin / JESUS' TWO NATURES: GOD AND MAN / The Supernatural Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.