Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,477 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This (5065 Views)

20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church / Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by CAPSLOCKED: 11:55pm On Nov 27, 2016

YOU KNOW WHY THIS IS PLAIN DUMB?

NO ONE ACTUALLY UNDERSTANDS THE FXCK YOU SAYING... NOT EVEN THE SO CALLED HOLY SPIRIT.

ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE, THE FIRST PEOPLE THAT SPOKE IN THAT WAY SPOKE REAL LANGUAGES, SOMETHING SOME OTHER PEOPLE UNDERSTOOD.

WHAT DO WE HAVE THESE DAYS?
"FOOLS" RECITING THE SAME "JAJAJAJARARARA BRA BRA BRA" LINES ALL IN THE NAME OF BEING LED BY THE SPIRIT.

WHATS THE MEANING OF WHAT YOU SAYING... FOR THE 3 YEARS YOU'VE BEEN SPEAKING IN TONGUE YOU BEEN MAKING THE SAME PARTICULAR SOUND.
IT'S HELLA DISAPPOINTING THAT WE ALL HAVE BRAINS, BUT FAIL TO MAKE GOOD USE OF IT.

2 Likes

Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 11:57pm On Nov 27, 2016
CAPSLOCKED:

YOU KNOW WHY THIS IS PLAIN DUMB?

NO ONE ACTUALLY UNDERSTANDS THE FXCK YOU SAYING... NOT EVEN THE SO CALLED HOLY SPIRIT.

ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE, THE FIRST PEOPLE THAT SPOKE IN THAT WAY SPOKE REAL LANGUAGES, SOMETHING SOME OTHER PEOPLE UNDERSTOOD.

WHAT DO WE HAVE THESE DAYS?
"FOOLS" RECITING THE SAME "JAJAJAJARARARA BRA BRA BRA" LINES ALL IN THE NAME OF BEING LED BY THE SPIRIT.

WHATS THE MEANING OF WHAT YOU SAYING... FOR THE 3 YEARS YOU'VE BEEN SPEAKING IN TONGUE YOU BEEN MAKING THE SAME PARTICULAR SOUND.
IT'S HELLA DISAPPOINTING THAT WE ALL HAVE BRAINS, BUT FAIL TO MAKE GOOD USE OF IT.

So you saying xenoglossy makes more sense right ?
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by CAPSLOCKED: 12:03am On Nov 28, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

So you saying xenoglossy makes more sense right ?

XENOGLOSSY OR WHATEVER... I DO NOT CARE.
SPEAKING IN TONGUE IS A CLASSIC BULLSHIIT, THAT'S MY POINT.
THE REST IS HISTORY.
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by Nobody: 2:56am On Nov 28, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Hey bro , this should help

Muafrika2 , please tell me what you think

I totally agree.

I've heard someone "in the spirit" utter things like ' 1...2...3..#...¤ ... line...' at especially village white garment churches who speak little or no English.

Many repeat just five words/ utterances over and over, day in day out. That must me the learned unintelligible tongue.

I've met someone who grew up uneducated in the streets and after getting saved he said he felt a thing come over him and he started speaking in and understanding English. There are also a few African diviners(Kamba tribe) who speak Arabic and Gujarati the same way.

Acts 2:4 -12 is definitely referring to an intelligent speech, one that is purposeful and not vain at all. And as much as the speaking is given, the understanding is given too. And they spoke about God, most importantly,

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by uvalued(m): 7:11am On Nov 28, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:
Glossolalia, a phenomenon sometimes referred to as “ecstatic utterances,” is the uttering of unintelligible, language-like sounds while in a state of ecstasy. Glossolalia is sometimes confused with xenoglossia, which is the biblical “gift of tongues.” However, whereas glossolalia is babbling in a nonexistent language, xenoglossia is the ability to speak fluently a language the speaker has never learned.

Additionally, whereas xenoglossia is not an innate or natural ability, studies have shown that glossolalia is a learned behavior. Research conducted by the Lutheran Medical Center demonstrates that glossolalia is readily learned by following simple instructions. Correspondingly, it was found that students could exhibit “speaking in tongues” in the absence of any indications of trance-like stupor or behaviors. Another test conducted with sixty students showed that after listening to a one-minute sample of glossolalia, 20 percent were able to imitate it precisely. After some training, 70 percent succeeded.

In just about every part of the world, glossolalia can be observed. Pagan religions all over the world are obsessed with tongues. These include the Shamans in the Sudan, the Shango cult of the West Coast of Africa, the Zor cult of Ethiopia, the Voodoo cult in Haiti, and the Aborigines of South America and Australia. Murmuring or speaking gibberish that is construed to be deep mystical insight by holy men is an ancient practice.

There are basically two aspects to glossolalia. First is talking or murmuring in language-like sounds. Practically everyone is able to do this; even children before they ever learn to speak can mimic real language, though unintelligibly. There is nothing extraordinary about this. The other aspect of glossolalia is ecstasy or the demonstration of trance-like elation. There is nothing unusual about this either, although it is more difficult to do intentionally than to merely utter language-like sounds.

There are some Christians, especially within the Pentecostal movement, who believe there is a supernatural explanation for glossolalia similar to that described in the New Testament. They believe that the chief purpose of the gift of speaking in tongues is to manifest the Holy Spirit being poured out upon them just as on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2), which was prophesied by Joel (Acts 2:17).

Among those Christian churches who do espouse the practice of glossolalia to one degree or another, there is no uniform agreement as to its workings. For example, some are adamant that it is indeed a gift of the Holy Spirit, while others minimize its importance, saying Paul taught that the gift of “speaking in tongues” wasn’t nearly as important as the other gifts of the Holy Spirit (see 1 Corinthians 13). Also, there are those wishing to avoid dividing the church on such issues by not speaking of it at all or dismissing it as a simple psychological experience. Then there are those who regard glossolalia as a deception of Satan himself.

Exotic languages are heard and understood throughout the world, but existing languages are not heard or understood when spoken as “ecstatic utterances” or “tongues.” What we do hear is a profusion of hype, claims, confusion, and noise. We simply cannot declare, as at the time of the first church, that “each of us hears [understands] them in his own native language” (Acts 2:8 NIV).

Simply put, the practice of glossolalia is not the biblical gift of tongues. Paul made it clear that the chief purpose of the gift of speaking in tongues was to be a sign for those who did not believe and to spread the good news, the gospel of Christ (1 Corinthians 14:19, 22).

https://gotquestions.org/glossolalia.html

i beg to differ with you on this.... just because the magicians can equaly throw their stick and it turns to snake... does not mean that moses stick turn snake is not from God. and just becos the fortune teller announced that paul was sent to show the way.does not negate paul preaching the gospel of the grace of GOD... so we should thread carefully here...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by uvalued(m): 7:14am On Nov 28, 2016
please king...read this ebook fir clarity thanks https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxrT0F-mwJf1NWdGelk3enMzZ2M

1 Like

Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by Wilgrea7(m): 8:21am On Nov 28, 2016
SirWere:
meh; when I ask most Christians their reason for speaking in tongues; they reply it's so that Satan will not hear what they're saying.

Dafuq undecided

lmao... like seriously

1 Like

Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by Wilgrea7(m): 8:24am On Nov 28, 2016
KingEbuka is right... the skiboroboskibo they speak isn't even the type that was spoken in the bible.. what's even more disturbing is the importance they put on it..
one of my friend was telling me that if you can't speak in tongues, then you have a problem with God... I really wish people can know the truth... but dogmas will fight it no matter how wrong they are.. God help us all

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by jonbellion(m): 8:36am On Nov 28, 2016
Wow
So the protestant church has been deciving themselves and their generation since grin
Lmao

2 Likes

Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 10:06am On Nov 28, 2016
uvalued:

i beg to differ with you on this.... just because the magicians can equaly throw their stick and it turns to snake... does not mean that moses stick turn snake is not from God. and just becos the fortune teller announced that paul was sent to show the way.does not negate paul preaching the gospel of the grace of GOD... so we should thread carefully here...

I totally disagree . I think its apparent that the Catholic Church due to the influence of paganism during the early times must have copied glossolalia from the pagan religions and replaced xenoglossy with it . Which is rational ? Xenoglossy or Glossolalia ?
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 10:13am On Nov 28, 2016
uvalued:
please king...read this ebook fir clarity thanks https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxrT0F-mwJf1NWdGelk3enMzZ2M

55 pages shocked shocked

Well , I've downloaded and added it to my to-read list
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by uvalued(m): 10:15am On Nov 28, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

I totally disagree . I think its apparent that the Catholic Church due to the influence of paganism during the early times must have copied glossolalia from the pagan religions and replaced xenoglossy with it . Which is rational ? Xenoglossy or Glossolalia ?
this xenoglossy is interesting..pls have you read the attachment..
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 10:22am On Nov 28, 2016
Muafrika2:

I totally agree.

I've heard someone "in the spirit" utter things like ' 1...2...3..#...¤ ... line...' at especially village white garment churches who speak little or no English.

Many repeat just five words/ utterances over and over, day in day out. That must me the learned unintelligible tongue.

I've met someone who grew up uneducated in the streets and after getting saved he said he felt a thing come over him and he started speaking in and understanding English. There are also a few African diviners(Kamba tribe) who speak Arabic and Gujarati the same way.

Acts 2:4 -12 is definitely referring to an intelligent speech, one that is purposeful and not vain at all. And as much as the speaking is given, the understanding is given too. And they spoke about God, most importantly,

Exactly !

Acts 2:4-12
4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[a] as the Spirit enabled them.

5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. 7 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? 9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!” 12 Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, “What does this mean?”

The emboldened text is proof that they spoke intelligible words of native languages from across the word which they have never learned or possibly never heard of .

I remember HCPaul , an atheist , who talked proudly about leaving Christianity , said one of the reasons he abjured his belief in God was that he discovered these unintelligible words were actually learnt and that there was nothing divine or extra-ordinary about them .
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 10:25am On Nov 28, 2016
uvalued:

this xenoglossy is interesting..pls have you read the attachment..

I'll do so . I've downloaded it . I'll get back to you when I'm done reading it smiley
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by Dalamama: 1:39pm On Nov 28, 2016
Xenoglossia is impossible, so christians should continue with their madness.
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 2:25pm On Nov 28, 2016
Dalamama:
Xenoglossia is impossible, so christians should continue with their madness.

Xenoglossia is impossible ? Did you interrogate every claimant of Xenoglossia before you reached this conclusion ? undecided

What you do is called appeal to common sense . I can't imagine this is true , therefore it must be false . Fallacious reasoning !!!
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by uvalued(m): 4:00pm On Nov 28, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

I'll do so . I've downloaded it . I'll get back to you when I'm done reading it smiley
i will really appreciate your input.. stay blessed
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 5:46pm On Nov 28, 2016
uvalued:

i will really appreciate your input.. stay blessed

smiley
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by dalaman: 6:44pm On Nov 28, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Xenoglossia is impossible ? Did you interrogate every claimant of Xenoglossia before you reached this conclusion ? undecided

What you do is called appeal to common sense . I can't imagine this is true , therefore it must be false . Fallacious reasoning !!!

I said it's impossible just like a man flying from.point A to point B like a bird. Men can't fly like birds because men don't have wings. If we give room to such nonsense then we can entertains claims that men can get pregnant and have kids. It is impossible what was written in the bible is a fictitious lie. No body can just wake up and start speaking another language because sone imaginary holy Spirit decended on him or her. It is all fiction. Most of the events recorded in the bible are fictitious.
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 6:55pm On Nov 28, 2016
dalaman:

I said it's impossible just like a man flying from.point A to point B like a bird. Men can't fly like birds because men don't have wings. If we give room to such nonsense then we can entertains claims that men can get pregnant and have kids. It is impossible what was written in the bible is a fictitious lie. No body can just wake up and start speaking another language because sone imaginary holy Spirit decended on him or her. It is all fiction. Most of the events recorded in the bible are fictitious.

There are so many people who have experienced this . Your opinion does not change reality smiley

1 Like

Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by dalaman: 6:59pm On Nov 28, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

There are so many people who have experienced this . Your opinion does not change reality smiley

Name one person you know. Don't just tell me you read it in the bible.
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 7:04pm On Nov 28, 2016
dalaman:

Name one person you know. Don't just tell me you read it in the bible.

Muafrika2 knows someone who has experienced it .
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by adoyi8: 7:08pm On Nov 28, 2016
When the apostles speak in tongues in the bible didn't they speak in actual human language and fire showed on their heads? When a Yoruba man starts speaking in tongue in my language and I see fire on his head then we will have this conversation.

1 Like

Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by dalaman: 7:09pm On Nov 28, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

When you dig deeper you'll discover that he heard it from someone who also heard it from another person that heard it from another person living in another country. Wuna well done.
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by dalaman: 7:10pm On Nov 28, 2016
adoyi8:
When the apostles speak in tongues in the bible didn't they speak in actual human language and fire showed on their heads? When a Yoruba man starts speaking in tongue in my language and I see fire on his head then we will have this conversation.

What was written inside the bible is fiction. It can never happen anywhere.
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 7:13pm On Nov 28, 2016
dalaman:

When you dig deeper you'll discover that he heard it from someone who also heard it from another person that heard it from another person living in another country. Wuna well done.

She said she has MET the person .
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by dalaman: 7:15pm On Nov 28, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

She said she has MET the person .

She can bring the person forward and let's verify the extra ordinary claim.
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 7:16pm On Nov 28, 2016
dalaman:

Well you can move to her abode to verify smiley
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by dalaman: 7:20pm On Nov 28, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Well you can move to her abode to verify smiley

She's the one to prove her assertions. She can put forward her claims here and we can verify them. If she has the person's identity she can drop it here. We can do a background check on the person and come up with valuable.information. Her claims are bogus. What can be claimed without evidence deserves to be quickly discarded without evidence.

1 Like

Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by Nobody: 7:21pm On Nov 28, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

True cool

And I haven't hard mirrored that story cheesy
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by Nobody: 7:27pm On Nov 28, 2016
dalaman:

This is a serious person who is a pastor. Hes not even my agemate, I wont be seeking him out like that! For this mini brobe ! undecided

But let me check if he's got photos online. He's a Ugandan pastor currently pastoring in Rwanda cheesy

For traditionalists who speak other languages without ever hearing of them, I may have to convince a friend to join NL(highly unlikely) and educate you on the phenomenon.
Re: Speaking In Tongues : Xenoglossia Or Glossolalia ? Please You Need To Read This by KingEbukaNaija: 8:14pm On Nov 28, 2016
Muafrika2:

True cool

And I haven't hard mirrored that story cheesy

lmao !!! grin grin

This is seriously now a thing grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Atheists Let's Have Fun. Anti-religion Memes / What They Would Have Looked Like (Biblical Characters) / Be Mindful Of Christ's Obedience At The Cross - Joseph Prince

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.