Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,451 members, 7,816,046 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index (5379 Views)

Poverty Rate Of The 36 States In Nigeria By United Nation Poverty Index / Widows Protest Against Obiano In Onitsha Over Severe Hardship / Atiku Abubakar's Rico Gado Nutrition Animal Feeds Plant Groundbreaking In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by basilo102: 3:33am On Dec 01, 2016
Nigeria’s population faces significant nutritional shortfalls, according to the 2016 Food Sustainability Indexpublished wednesday by The Economist Intelligence Unit. Nigeria is ranked second last out of 25 countries, below Ethiopia and Indonesia, for the nutritional health of its population.

One-third of Nigerian children under five are “stunted”, meaning they suffer reduced physical growth due to inadequate nutrition. “Hidden hunger”—a deficiency of micronutrients—is also a problem. Nigeria ranks 23rd out of 25 countries surveyed for vitamin A deficiency, with a prevalence of 29.5per cent. Nutrient deficiencies delay mental development in infants, reducing their ability to learn in later life, with a knock on-effect on school performance.

Nutritional problems are particularly acute in the North-east, where over three million Nigerians are in urgent food crisis due to the conflict between Boko Haram insurgents and the army.

Nigeria scores more positively for its agricultural sector, with high scores for water management and for investment in transport infrastructure, which can reduce food losses.

“Despite major nutrition challenges, Nigeria has huge potential for improving health outcomes of its population through policies and nutritional programmes. There is also room for improvement in terms of agricultural sustainability, especially ensuring that land ownership for smallholders is respected and enforced, which would incentivise farmers to invest in more sustainable farming practices that would safeguard soil quality and preserve water resources,” the index research manager, Maria-Luiza Apostolescu, said.

“Addressing these challenges will make a major contribution to Nigeria’s efforts to reach the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) since nutrition and agriculture influence so many social, environmental and economic factors.”
http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/12/01/nigeria-faces-severe-nutrition-problems-according-to-new-index/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by jesse8048(m): 3:55am On Dec 01, 2016
Not even a single good news coming out of naija.

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by Kyllahmc(m): 4:02am On Dec 01, 2016
A study indicates that Breast milk is the only single meal that contains all the nutrients human needs to survive. Ok i just thought i could pass this useful piece of information to my Brothers

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by Atiku2019: 4:12am On Dec 01, 2016
We are trying our best to eradicate hunger in the Northeast...
Kudos also to all the NGOs in the Northeast (NRC,DRC,Action Against Hunger etc)

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by Blue3k(m): 5:02am On Dec 01, 2016
Atiku2019:
We are trying our best to eradicate hunger in the Northeast...

Kudos also to all the NGOs in the Northeast (NRC,DRC,Action Against Hunger etc)

True when those boko savages are eradicate it will be much easier for them to do their good work.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by herzern1(m): 8:40am On Dec 01, 2016
Chai!!....

Should I say I'm a victim?? grin grin grin

Rice everyday.....Infact Rice don dey qrow for my head grin grin

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by kingPhidel(m): 8:40am On Dec 01, 2016
undecided
Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by NairaMaster1(m): 8:41am On Dec 01, 2016
Everything is pointing negatively at us. We must rise to get back same way we got here.
Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by Abbeyme: 8:41am On Dec 01, 2016
Who dem epp
Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by yomi007k(m): 8:42am On Dec 01, 2016
lipsrsealed

Bad news everyday. ...
Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by VocalWalls: 8:43am On Dec 01, 2016
When all they do is drink garri without groundnuts, milk or sugar, and use the money for moin-moin to buy 10mb and hail buhari on Twitter.
How will dey not suffer malnutrition?

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by busybrain123(m): 8:45am On Dec 01, 2016
Akamu‚ plantain and beans every morning... honestly I need a wife cheesy am tired of mama put food sad

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by AroOkigbo(m): 8:46am On Dec 01, 2016
Remember this billboard?
Isn't it making a meaning to Nigerians now?

21 Likes

Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by DrPrickson: 8:47am On Dec 01, 2016
This is plain truth

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by Jarchi(m): 8:51am On Dec 01, 2016
Place your hands on your head and shout with a thundrous voice,
"my fada,my fada,every spirit of buhari,die by fire die by fire die by fire. I rather enjoy the joy of failing dan to be disgraced as the winner."
Oya turn it into prayer.
If you notice the spirit of buhari in your life
you can pm baba jona <legal ole> if you need full deliverance from the spirit of buhari lurking in your destiny.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by CzarChris(m): 8:51am On Dec 01, 2016
Nigeria is behind Ethiopia? We are finished. Sai baba.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by anonymuz(m): 8:55am On Dec 01, 2016
Abbeyme:
Who dem epp
if you don't have better thing to say,don't waste your data.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by Jelomy: 8:55am On Dec 01, 2016
Nawa oo.. Are we moving forward or backward?
Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by Nobody: 9:01am On Dec 01, 2016
No wonder there are fewer fat kids here compared to Libya undecided
Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by Vizzim: 9:02am On Dec 01, 2016
Oríṣiríṣi... Malnutrition everywhere when na plastic rice person dey eat.
Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by iglimen: 9:02am On Dec 01, 2016
jesse8048:
Not even a single good news coming out of naija.

Wahala dey
Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by Strongbest(m): 9:03am On Dec 01, 2016
Effect of recession. May God help us.

Can we launch "Operation Feed a Child Today?"

If the Government won't do it for us, we can help in our own little way.

Just make sure you feed a child each day.

Do not do it for a child who already has enough to eat but that child that has nothing to eat.

www.nairaland.com/1798724/

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by Ugonnax: 9:04am On Dec 01, 2016
Maybe Northerners and yorubba because their foods have zero nutrients. Easterners foods...Igbo, Ibibio, Efik, Urhobo, Ijaws are packed with nutrients. How to know? Durig lunch, go to Igbo, Ibibio or Efik restaurants and you will see Yorubaas and Hausa packed inside like sardines licking their hands. But you will and can never ever see Igbos, Ibibios, Efiks, Urhobos, Ijaws inside Yorubaa and Hausa restaurants because their foods are useless, we know it. Also If you see an Igbo, Ibibio, Efik, Urhobo or an Ijaw man, you will know by their appearance and how well fed they are.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by zabadii(m): 9:07am On Dec 01, 2016
Kyllahmc:
A study indicates that Breast milk is the only single meal that contains all the nutrients human needs to survive. Ok i just thought i could pass this useful piece of information to my Brothers
there is hunger in the land
Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by wickyyolo: 9:08am On Dec 01, 2016
since this Bad luck president came to power, we've been jumping from one trouble to another.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by Tallesty1(m): 9:11am On Dec 01, 2016
herzern1:
Chai!!....

Should I say I'm a victim?? grin grin grin

Rice everyday.....Infact Rice don dey qrow for my head grin grin

I think we can help each orher cause i am always on beans.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by strangest(m): 9:22am On Dec 01, 2016
Damn.. We finally somalia cool
Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by ak47mann(m): 9:29am On Dec 01, 2016
The zoo full of malnourish baboons cool

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by Lilimax(f): 9:37am On Dec 01, 2016
ok
Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 9:45am On Dec 01, 2016
NairaMaster1:
Everything is pointing negatively at us. We must rise to get back same way we got here.
because we cannot manage ourselves enough to provide decent life to all. we conveniently give into to tribalism to subjugate and oppress others as long as our families and friends are doing okay, the others can go and die in "osh**** voice"
Re: Nigeria Faces Severe Nutrition Problems, According To New Index by winj: 10:07am On Dec 01, 2016
Malolu:
No wonder there are fewer fat kids here compared to Libya undecided

The difference is that Libyan people do not produce uncountable number of children causing overpopulation. Nigerians (not politicans) are responsible for the population explosion that is causing starvation and poverty in the country!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Thanks To Yorubas And The South South / Apostle Suleiman Dumps Atiku, Says Nigeria Not Your Father’s Property / 2023: Tinubu Vs Seyi Makinde

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.