Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,727 members, 7,955,763 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:31 PM

Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? (8021 Views)

4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist / Atheist, What Would You Consider Evidence Of God's Existence? / God Is An Atheist: What Theists Cant argue.Discover God's God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? by ScienceWatch: 6:40pm On Dec 05, 2016
EyeHateGod:

Must you always copy and paste can't you have a civil conversation? Like every other normal people here?
Finally some good advice !
Re: Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? by EyeHateGod: 7:42pm On Dec 05, 2016
ScienceWatch:
I hope you take it..
Re: Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? by ScienceWatch: 8:18pm On Dec 05, 2016
EyeHateGod:

I hope you take it..
yip
Re: Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? by Nobody: 9:32pm On Dec 05, 2016
hopefulLandlord:
this sciencewatch guy is annoying everyone
I thought I was the only one that noticed.
Seun should ban him already angry
Re: Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? by EyeHateGod: 8:31am On Dec 06, 2016
ScienceWatch:
aaaah ! you guys cant take the heat of fair debate. Seun is used to you guys crying foul for every little thing.

Yes , there are only a few of you that prefer a one side debate.
Fair debate? Sorry we don't call copy and paste a fair debate.. I see you didn't take my advice
Re: Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? by OneManLegion(m): 7:24pm On Dec 06, 2016
I told my brother I'm a deist freethinker(which was actually true).

Aside him, no other family member suspects I'm not a Muslim.

All my friends and acquaintances know of my lack of belief in any religion, though.
Re: Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? by EyeHateGod: 8:29pm On Dec 06, 2016
OneManLegion:
I told my brother I'm a deist freethinker(which was actually true).

Aside him, no other family member suspects I'm not a Muslim.

All my friends and acquaintances know of my lack of belief in any religion, though.
Wow it's hard for Muslims to change belief o unlike Christians.... I'll like to know ya story grin
Re: Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? by OneManLegion(m): 11:10pm On Dec 06, 2016
EyeHateGod:

Wow it's hard for Muslims to change belief o unlike Christians.... I'll like to know ya story grin

Well, it's similar to everyone else's.

Growing up, however, I was more exposed to the bible and the Christian faith than I was, mine. Since I was a voracious reader, I got to read tons of Christian literature.

I was however, thoroughly reined in to the Muslim dogmas by the infamous religious instrument of control: fear.

One day, a Muslim friend made me challenge what I assumed was sanctified and unquestionable. He didn't change faith, he only switched doctrines.

But the discussions with him engendered an inexorable chain of introspection. I started to realise the legions of flaws inherent in both religions.

I realised that all religions were the same afterall. They seek to control adherents using two principal instruments: hope and fear. Hope of making paradise and fear of landing in hell.

If the hope of making heaven doesn't sufficiently incentivise one to strive to adhere to shut one's eyes and mind to religion's absurdities, then the fear of spending an eternity in hell will surely keep one in check.

Summarily, I think most religions are just archaic forms of social control and ensuring order and morality.

I, perhaps in a future thread, may fully talk about what made me abandon the Muslim faith.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? by ScienceWatch: 5:27pm On Dec 10, 2016
SirWere:
I thought I was the only one that noticed.
Seun should ban him already angry
Eat your hearts out ! I see much likes and follows from the very things you complain.
Re: Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? by ScienceWatch: 5:29pm On Dec 10, 2016
EyeHateGod:

I hope you take it..
I changed my mind. I dont take advice from your type. It would Be fool hardey
Re: Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? by EyeHateGod: 5:55pm On Dec 10, 2016
ScienceWatch:
I changed my mind. I dont take advice from your type. It would Be fool hardey
You have already showed that you didn't take it long ago so this ain't new..
Re: Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? by ScienceWatch: 6:49pm On Dec 10, 2016
EyeHateGod:

You have already showed that you didn't take it long ago so this ain't new..
Thanks ! You are sharp.
Re: Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? by Ranchhoddas: 7:23pm On Dec 10, 2016
But really you need to stop doing that.
ScienceWatch:
Thanks ! You are sharp.
Re: Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? by ScienceWatch: 7:49pm On Dec 10, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
But really you need to stop doing that.
Explain, doing what ?
Re: Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? by Ranchhoddas: 7:59pm On Dec 10, 2016
Copying and pasting posts like a mindless robot.
ScienceWatch:
Explain, doing what ?
Re: Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? by lepasharon(f): 8:01pm On Dec 10, 2016
Where are the Ex-muslim atheists? undecided
Re: Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? by ScienceWatch: 3:31am On Dec 11, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Copying and pasting posts like a mindless robot.
I was not posting on your thread or posting to you ! You rudely chime in, then start to hassle me.

If your family dont know you are an atheist, they should see the symptoms here.
Re: Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? by ScienceWatch: 3:35am On Dec 11, 2016
ScienceWatch:
It is strange that you highlight "normal people".
Re: Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? by Warpath(m): 9:15am On Dec 11, 2016
Mine started way back in secondary school. I was an avid reader of books and anything literature(bible inclusive ). Then i started asking questions and no one could answer instead i was called names like lucifer or possessed witch! Then i got to the university and there was this day a jehovah witness guy came to my lodge to preach and i challenged him on a topic..my frds were like 'don't say such things against God'..I feel sorry for average Christians who don't read the bible or are just too lazy to ever research what they've been told..i have a religious family and only my younger brother knows I'm an atheist..will prefer to keep it that way till I'm independent. I wish more Nigerians could see the light and if you're from owerri please message me..i need more atheists friends! Apart from Nairaland i really don't meet alot of atheists cuz we are all scared of the impending danger of being lynched by fundamentalists!

2 Likes

Re: Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? by visita: 12:40am On Dec 13, 2016
What's wrong?
lepasharon:
Where are the Ex-muslim atheists? undecided
Re: Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? by lepasharon(f): 12:47am On Dec 13, 2016
visita:
What's wrong?

Don't really hear their stories..
Re: Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? by ScienceWatch: 2:40pm On Jan 26, 2017
EyeHateGod:

And you think i haven't seen this b4? How many of this people you mentioned knew Jesus personally if not for stories they heard? Am still waiting for you to bring real Prof that Jesus Existed Historically...
Firstly, Compliments of the Season !
I went through your mentions and had to chat back to get more clarity from you. So you want to find people that knew Jesus Christ personally ? Would that help you ?

The evidence of this Jesus that lived more than two thousand years ago can be found today in the same "works" that only Jesus and his pastors did. Today millions see the same evidence demonstrated with mighty POWER flowing out of the holy Scoan Church Nigeria.

Consider what historical evidence will be available of your life only one hundred years from now ?

How will I be able to prove your existence only one hundred years from now.

Jesus lived Two Thousand years ago and the proof of His existence is fresh and crisp in spite of your failed attempts to destroy it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Any Guru Maharaji In The House?? / Naira Marley Confirms That Allah Is Different From God. / Don't Borrow To Celebrate Christmas, Cleric Tells Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.