Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,159 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:06 PM

Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria (25569 Views)

Wole Soyinka And Chimamanda Adichie At The Felabration 2019, Pictured Together / Wole Soyinka With Founding Members Of Pyrate In 1952 (Throwback Photo) / Oretunlewa Soyinka Marries Nneka Ekechukwu, Igbo Girl (Pre-Wedding Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by blueskies(f): 10:54am On Dec 06, 2016
middlebelter:
It is very clear that many of the young men and women making comments here do not have a good knowledge of the man, Prof. Wole Soyinka, some of them were either to young to know when he won the nobel price or were not yet born and unfortunately their fathers did not tell them his story.
The man Soyinka hates injustice, you can't take it away from him. A man in his 80s is certainly a grand father and should be respected.
Prof should see all the negative comments about his person as one of the downside of social media. It does not imply that Nigerians does not appreciate his person and contribution.
Most of the young men on social media rattling our Prof should kindly desist from it. South Africans will never disparage Mandela or Desmond Tutu they way we are doing to Wole Soyinka.
. Many of them dnt think deep and ar full of unreasonable sentiments, dey jst luk for any opportunity to criticise one who is more xposed and enlightened without takin out time to reason along with wat may av made him say such. I think he was tryin to protect d gud interest of some pple and tackle injustice. He has made positive impacts, if dey want to criticise notable pple, dey shd do so to those destroyin d image and morals of our youths and d country's future

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by onac16: 11:08am On Dec 06, 2016
Destroy green card, exit Nigeria, hmmm, this man is heading for the space
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by NairaMaster1(m): 11:22am On Dec 06, 2016
'Why do Nigerians wail louder than the bereaved?'
Example the prof turned child over the US election
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Pamcrest(f): 11:26am On Dec 06, 2016
Much as I respect d Prof, I cringe at his ranting so n choice of words. Prof sir, pls press "Ignore" when provoked or angered by social media. That's a more honorable path to toe!
And btw u don't have to tear yr green card or relocate anywhere. That US election brought out d beast in many of us. But hey, Trump won and all is now forgiven n forgotten.
My humble two cents.
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Newmanluckyman(m): 11:27am On Dec 06, 2016
... Wole Soyinka has once proven a fact without a clinical experiment that education is not the true test of one's intelligence. This man talks too carelessly. There is always a time to pulse and think before making a statement.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by chrissy3(m): 11:34am On Dec 06, 2016
If the prof didn't make a pledge, there won't be any of this attacks on him in the 1st place.As a public figure he should have known that people would always hold you to your words and as the case maybe they are doing just that but if he wants to gain back his credibility he should keep to his pledge otherwise no one would take his words or pledge seriously again.
Please Nigerians should try not to insult him cause he's an elder but I support calling for him to make a decision by keeping to his pledge or abandoning it cause after all said and done, its a free world. Prof you have a decision to make and only you can make it so... What would it be?
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Kingbuhari(m): 11:38am On Dec 06, 2016
guvna:

This has Igbotic Mentality written all over it.

What is up with the amala statements you baboon?? Abi No be food?? Animal!.

Not all Igbos are like that I know...but we have many of them imbeciles and baboons, nah your father be coward!!!!
cowardice amala eating
brown roof sophisticated tiger
claw betrayers Any Nigerian that has known the
Yorubas or lived with them would
wonder when a Yoruba could be
trusted to mean what they say or
do what they mean or be brave
enough like the Igbos to affect a
physical threat. the fear of Igbo is the beginning of ur wisdom
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by goodnews777: 11:52am On Dec 06, 2016
FROM INTELLECTUAL GURU TO INSANITY . This man has mental disease and the Yorubas are quietly watching him waste away? He needs help.
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by SIRmanjar(m): 12:01pm On Dec 06, 2016
blueskies:
. How asertive are you all in question of him not havin torn his green card? And I think I sighted a post a few weeks back dat confirmed he did. And even if he didn't, he's a human rights activist and may av made that statement ironically in defense of some people. One doesnt alwys talk with both sides of d mouth. Let's stop unnecessary criticism, there'r way more crucial issues that shd b criticised. Issues eating deep in dis nation and d society dat can affect our future and those comin behind us. He's an achiever so pple pay attention to evry detail he says whether its of importance or not, let's also bcom achievers so we can b recognised

More crucial issue dat shuld b criticised?How many iz d champion human activist criticising?None.He has been annoyingly silent
Over d crucial issues o ever since but has time to reply d green card commentz.
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by oduz: 12:05pm On Dec 06, 2016
discusant:
Wole, you don't seem to understand that you made a hate-speech by threatening in public place that if an American wins an American presidential election, you would tear your American Green Card in protest.

Americans don't tolerate hate speech.

America is not a Third World country where people make hate speeches and get away with it.

Because Wole made a hate speech was the reason Nigerians descended upon him.

Have you forgotten so fast that his pledge was a response to Trump's hate speech towards Africans, their leaders & Nigeria in particular.
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by NovusHomo(m): 12:08pm On Dec 06, 2016
ishowdotgmail:
No offense sir! But I think you are the slowpoke here. I don't. Know what this man is feeling like. For if Hilary had won, I know you won't have let us here word again. Oga bury ur head in shame, and relocate to Malawi for we don't give a Bleep!

I woke up this morning with the aim of making FTC 5times today

FTC number2

You just confirmed what the man is saying. All that in order for you to make "FTC". Does one get more moronic and imbecilic?
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by pressplay411(m): 12:09pm On Dec 06, 2016
lomprico:

Show respect for a man that called you and ur generation a slowpoke, imbesile, baboon and barbarians?

Stop allowing tribal sentiments cloud ur sense of reasoning.

You obviously haven't been on his Facebook and Twitter accounts, it's an eye sore.
The level of mud slinging and outright disregard for his reputation is blindening. How do you expect others to respect him when his own country show him none?
His recent outburst is from having enough!

And biko how did tribalism creep into my comment?
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by totorimi: 12:19pm On Dec 06, 2016
Is he still talking, the people that own him should put a rope on his neck he has gone berserk.

When he was living in the USA did we know, so even if he disappears into Sambisa forest who cares, he should just shut the Bleep off.
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by juman(m): 12:20pm On Dec 06, 2016
He better not move to his forest home because of kidnappers.
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by czaratwork: 12:26pm On Dec 06, 2016
me, i wan epp am pack im loads.
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Nobody: 12:38pm On Dec 06, 2016
The majority of the people he was referring to as mo.rons are here on nairaland. Poor professor, he doesn't know them like we do.
They are ingrates and most have no qualms insulting their own parents claiming they are "Republicans"
They are mere hecklers, and that is all they can do.
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by pacespot(m): 1:02pm On Dec 06, 2016
Sir! If you're reading this I want you to know that those attacks you're getting on social media are not the general views of all Nigerians. They are coming from some sections of the society badly embittered by the outcome of the last presidential election.

Even if you're saving their sorry asses from dying they will still attack you simply because you are a truth speaker who they see as a common threat to their collective loots which they're dying to protect by frustrating the efforts of this present administration.

I think you should know by now that nigerians live by hysteria, when you don't allow an issue to rest they will suck every tiny detail of it to fill their empty lives. An even a frog (Reno Omoriki) who can never step onto the same podium you're being celebrated will also want to become an harbinger in the frenzy.

So ignoring them is the best solution. We all know negative comments resonate best with nigerians
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Realist2: 1:22pm On Dec 06, 2016
This man want commit suicide over his green card oo. The issue here is not with people questioning why he thrown his card, but because he was compelled to do so, since he vowed to do it if Trump win.
He opened wide his mouth to vomit trash, calling a wife of a sitting president Shepopotamus. God has confirm you to be foolish. Soyinka , your woos has just begun.
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by willibounce1(m): 1:45pm On Dec 06, 2016
People close to this man should please talk to him. All these rants are just unnecessary. This is someone who should be showing good example and not blabbing all around.

If you can't tear your passport as promised just swallow your pride, keep quiet and move on. I hope old age is not affecting him because some old people cab be very stubborn.
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by madjune(m): 2:21pm On Dec 06, 2016
ehinmowo:
If u question Soyinka's fight for the common man, then you truly don't know the man at all.

If you question his achievements, then there is a problem with your brain.

As to whether wot he said is right or wrong, i don't know. because that something or someone doesn't follow the stereotypes does not make him right or wrong. And somtimes, somethings u claimed 2 b wrong cud take ur brain another decade 2 comprehend.

Nobody is questioning his achievements or whatever.

We are simply telling him to keep his word as a role model he's always been.
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Bre(f): 2:44pm On Dec 06, 2016
DIKEnaWAR:
He will soon tear his clothes and start raving mad, cursing and trashing the whole place. I knew something was wrong when he started eulogising and consorting with a known kleptomaniac.

Hubris. ...the downfall of so many over-bloated egos and empty testicle, dangling and swaying from side to side. Soyinka has joined the rank and file of Obasanjo, Buhari, IBB, Abdusalami, Gowon, Tony Anenih, EK Clark, etc etc. Nigeria have them in abundance, men who are so shameless and have refused to quit the stage, for the younger generation. Men who think they are so wise, the country would crash without them. Men who think they are immortals sharing this tiny space with mere mortals. Men who have a sense of entitlement. Soyinka just called himself the champion of free speech, yet when we apply same free speech to question his actons, he gets angry. Is this what he learnt from known dictators that he had been dining with or he has been a closet intolerant man all his life?

He said Nigeria weep more than the bereaved and interfere in what is not their business. Shall we ask Soyinka what he was doing when he carried America's election on his head to the extent of threatening to tear his green card and leave? I guess he was wiping the tears from the bereaved. Did he think he loved America more than its citizens?

The people you think are intelligent in this country are actually the ones that will disappoint you the most. My advise to Soyinka is to join the group of Obasanjo and Co, men who live and thrive in infamy and continue to shove his face in our faces and embarrass himself and family till whenever. This is where he belongs now.

You have poured out my entire sentiments in one comment.
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Dare2Try(m): 3:20pm On Dec 06, 2016
No comment
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Zikachat(m): 3:42pm On Dec 06, 2016
Sharap!! How u epp d common man wit common sense?
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by sweetilicious(f): 6:16pm On Dec 06, 2016
Kingbuhari:
this wifeless old cultist should take it easy nah... Is he eyeing Liar Mohammed ministerial portfolio ,
Any Nigerian that has known the
Yorubas or lived with them would
wonder when a Yoruba could be
trusted to mean what they say or
do what they mean or be brave
enough, this cowardice Amala and ewedu eater should cut the crab and tear his green card nah, Nigerians have known Yoruba's
shiftiness and two sided loud-
mouthing... Soyinka is a disgrace to Noble laureate
My friend that is from yoruba unknowingly admitted to people that Wole didn't throw away his passport as he said. Not until someone asked him his tribe because of the way he was trying to convince people that believed otherwise. They all exclaimed when they found out he was a yoruba man. Very funny scene
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Nobody: 6:45pm On Dec 06, 2016
ishowdotgmail:
No offense sir! But I think you are the slowpoke here. I don't. Know what this man is feeling like. For if Hilary had won, I know you won't have let us here word again. Oga bury ur head in shame, and relocate to Malawi for we don't give a Bleep!

I woke up this morning with the aim of making FTC 5times today

FTC number2

People like you are why men like Hitler and Starlin exist
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Nobody: 6:49pm On Dec 06, 2016
Sharafawizkidayo:
This is bad! just look at the heavy foul language he used "baboons,"baberians, like he himself is nt 1 of us! thous i see no reason y he should react dat way, we agree dat indeed u were humialited, sorry abt dat prof, bt if u are confirm nigerian, u should hv knwn dat nigerians behave like dat, no offence sir bt u should take does words back! bcuz u calling us baboons is the same as saying africans are. sincf we are all backs!!!
he was only referring to the bigots that insulted him. We all know Igbo people are at the forefront of the insult so he is referring to them. No sane yoruba son or daughter will insult an elder of Prof. soyinka's age
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Nobody: 6:51pm On Dec 06, 2016
passionate88:
idiot man
your grandfather idiot man
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Nobody: 6:56pm On Dec 06, 2016
DIKEnaWAR:
He will soon tear his clothes and start raving mad, cursing and trashing the whole place. I knew something was wrong when he started eulogising and consorting with a known kleptomaniac.

Hubris. ...the downfall of so many over-bloated egos and empty testicle, dangling and swaying from side to side. Soyinka has joined the rank and file of Obasanjo, Buhari, IBB, Abdusalami, Gowon, Tony Anenih, EK Clark, etc etc. Nigeria have them in abundance, men who are so shameless and have refused to quit the stage, for the younger generation. Men who think they are so wise, the country would crash without them. Men who think they are immortals sharing this tiny space with mere mortals. Men who have a sense of entitlement. Soyinka just called himself the champion of free speech, yet when we apply same free speech to question his actons, he gets angry. Is this what he learnt from known dictators that he had been dining with or he has been a closet intolerant man all his life?

He said Nigeria weep more than the bereaved and interfere in what is not their business. Shall we ask Soyinka what he was doing when he carried America's election on his head to the extent of threatening to tear his green card and leave? I guess he was wiping the tears from the bereaved. Did he think he loved America more than its citizens?

The people you think are intelligent in this country are actually the ones that will disappoint you the most. My advise to Soyinka is to join the group of Obasanjo and Co, men who live and thrive in infamy and continue to shove his face in our faces and embarrass himself and family till whenever. This is where he belongs now.
I would have taken u seriously but then u are ipob and therefore your brain is clouded with sentiment. So shut up and get a life. Mediocre
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Nobody: 6:59pm On Dec 06, 2016
thunder74:
Easy to criticize but hard to take criticism. The hypocrisy of man.
there is a difference between criticism and direct insult from Igbo people. Yes I said it Igbo people. Criticism borne out bigotry is not criticism.
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Nobody: 7:47pm On Dec 06, 2016
Seenyo:
# i stand with prof. Soyinka!
IT'S NO B.ASTARD'S BUSINESS WHAT HE DOES WITH HIS GREEN CARD!
#IS IT YOUR GREEN CARD?
#it's a free world!

it becomes everybody's business when a respected figure in a society fails to honour his words

yet we complain of APC failed promises
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by passionate88: 7:49pm On Dec 06, 2016
flamyd:
your grandfather idiot man

e pain am grin grin grin cheesy grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" / What's Your Favorite Novel Of All Time? / Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.