Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,326 members, 7,829,831 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:19 PM

Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers (17536 Views)

Governors, Speakers Meet Over Constitution Review / Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki / Senate Cuts Down President’s Control Of Nigeria Police Force (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by udemejack(m): 10:41am On Dec 09, 2016
drnoel:

Doesn't matter anymore weather Buhari signs it into law or not. Once he gets the bill he has only 30 days to sent it back stating his grievance cos failure to do so makes the bill law automatically. Those cutthroats have already changed that portion of the constitution during GEJ era.
and you think that will be that easy?
Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by omohayek: 10:42am On Dec 09, 2016
Princedapace:
Yes...police not part of the arm forces but a very important institution in internal security matters...the most important institution in internal security matters. That is why u see IGP attending arm forces security meetings headed by the president and other arm forces chiefs..... All points u made are valid...yes but in a sensitive country like Nigeria...not even the national assembly will consider relinquishing such power from the president.. He controls the police and the arm forces.. And he orders them..
Well, my position is that there's no need for the police to be structured in such a manner in the first place. The Nigerian equivalent of the FBI is the DSS, so why should the police force of the entire country be controlled by Aso Rock? It's time Nigeria tried true community-based policing, just as it's done in better-run countries - and by "community-based" I mean at the LGA level, not even the state level, with elected sheriffs accountable to local residents.
Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by Nobody: 10:48am On Dec 09, 2016
HungerBAD:
Classic case of when Lawmakers become bored in Abuja.

Ike Ekweremadu, and his crew are bored and have too much time on their hands, hence they came up with the idea of interfering with the President's power.

These are people elected into offices to help bring succour to their constituents,but what do they do?busy trying to take powers from the President, and forgetting to bring the dividends of democracy to their people.

Did you read the news before you typed this?

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by linusbnn(m): 10:50am On Dec 09, 2016
HungerBAD:

Ike Ekweremadu, and his crew are bored and have too much time on their hands, hence they came up with the idea of interfering with the President's power.

These are people elected into offices to help bring succour to their constituents,but what do they do?busy trying to take powers from the President, and forgetting to bring the dividends of democracy to their people.

You forgot that this executives needs proper check mating. When you heard of data hike in price,you ran to the senate and they acted immediately. I think you have to be more realistic because you re not real in your thinking
Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by khadaffi(m): 10:57am On Dec 09, 2016
Princedapace:

Hahahahahahaha.. That of IGP can never happen.. Not in Nigeria..

The powers of the president lies as the commander in chief of the arm forces.. .. He can never allow such power to be cut off or reduce and taking away the appointment and loyalty of the IGP is one of such powers the president will never do..

Being the CIC has nothing to do with appointing the IG. I can even give you many reasons why that power should be removed from the presidency. And if it eventually happens, Nigeria will not be the first country where such exists. But what I want to address in your post is where you said the president will not allow it. Its like you guys don't know that in presidential system of govt, the legislator is the strongest organisation. If they decide to go that part today, the presidency cannot do anything about it.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by stinechykee: 11:11am On Dec 09, 2016
sarrki:

We are not against it.

What we are clamoring for is to make policy that will take us out of recession.
And which policy are you making or have you ever make that will take us from recession you enemy of progress? If Senate keep mute now you people will say that they are not doing anything now they want to save us from recession your brother dullard president put us into and you and ur like are now criticising Ekweremmadu because he is an Igbo
Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by gevans(m): 11:20am On Dec 09, 2016
the sure answer or solution to Nigeria problem is true federalism, let every state control their resources. we always cite America in all we do but we are not practising the kind of democracy America is practising talk less of true federalism they are practising.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by Blue3k(m): 11:35am On Dec 09, 2016
You guys like to comlain no matter what. Funny thing is this is what a lot of you wanted if I were to look at post history. What's your actual complaint about proposal half of you read headline then white knighted for you master Buhari's like your his side chick.

Ekweremadu said the Second Schedule, Part I and II of the Constitution has been altered to decongest the Exclusive Legislative List in order to give more powers to the states of the Federation[.

He said the move will enhance the principle of federalism and good governance. Ekweremadu said pensions, prisons, railways, stamp duties and wages have been moved from the Exclusive Legislative List to the Concurrent List.

He added that arbitration, environment, healthcare, housing, road safety, land and agriculture, youths and public complaints were also added to the Concurrent List of the Constitution.

It amended sections 82 and 122 of the Constitution to reduce the period within which the president or a governor may authorise withdrawal of monies from the Consolidated Revenue Fund in the absence of an Appropriation Act from six months to three months.

“Essentially, this will compel early presentation of a budget proposal by the Executive arm of government, thereby giving the legislature sufficient time to scrutinise such proposal,” Ekweremadu noted.[\quote]

Also, section 121 of the Constitution has been amended to guarantee first line charge funding for Houses of Assembly from the Consolidated Revenue Fund. If passed into law, it will free state legislatures from the grip of state governors.

This sounds like a great way to get state legislature to stop being lazy. Half the issues in the states start with them never checking the govenor.

[quote author=sarrki post=51761299]Amendment of sections 147 and 192 of the Constitution would also ensure that the president and governors designate and assign portfolios to persons nominated as ministers or commissioners, respectively, prior to confirmation by the Senate or House of Assembly.

It also provided a period of 60 days within which such nominations shall be forwarded to the Senate or House of Assembly following inauguration, [s]with 35 per cent representation for women in the appointment of ministers and commissioners.[/s]

You guys accepted that president didnt give you portfolio about nominations. You guys don't need law just reject them. They wold get point after awhile.

Why pander to women. Men aren't elected because they're males. We need meritocracy not qoutasystem. That's not necessary to x number of females.

Sections 51, 67, 93 and 315 were amended to create the National Assembly Service Commission and the State House of Assembly Service Commission and empower the National Assembly and State House of Assembly respectively to provide for the powers and structure of the commissions through subsequent legislations.

It has also made it mandatory for the President to attend a joint meeting of the National Assembly, once a year, to deliver a State of the Nation Address and removed lawmaking power of the executive arm of government under section 315.

Removing law making powere good step. Does this mean he won't have exuactive order powers. The president won't be ableaving to ban car imports from land borders for example?

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by Krosslife(m): 11:38am On Dec 09, 2016
This is a two-edged sword for ......
1. I think this is necessary since PMB has become an auto-pilot tyranny with his nonchalant disposition to the negative impacts of the state of the nation on the masses. The National Assembly is trying to orchestrate the devolution of powers and authorities to the State Governments, this is a welcome development. But it must be done with caution and legal dexterity, otherwise it'll lead to anarchy. If the president vetoes, the National Assembly can constitute a two-third majority to pass the bill into law. This paves the way for true federalism.

2. But in my unusual sarcasm, judging by the power tussle between the Executive and Legislative, I think it is just a brag. I don't see the National Assembly as true representatives of the people. And in my candid opinion, the Legislative arm should be scrapped for the fact that Nigeria wastes almost 50% of her resources on stark lawmakers who don't serve the interest of the people. Certainly, the Executive arm will lobby the house members to constitute a roadblock rather than two-third majority for the passage of the bill into law.

So, it is all a shakara thing! Yeye people!! See their heads like abiku head!
Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by Blue3k(m): 11:47am On Dec 09, 2016
Omoakinsuyi:
Can they cut his powers? Daydreamrrs

Yes they can. The only question is are they ready to.
Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by Blue3k(m): 11:56am On Dec 09, 2016
HungerBAD:

You should try reading article before rushing to defend your master Buhari. He has enough women in his life he doesn't need a fanboy.

Most of the proposals strengthen democracy and separation of powers. That way we don't have a presidentical with too much power. Then central government devolution of power to states.

2 Likes

Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by sparkleboy(m): 12:10pm On Dec 09, 2016
Aufbauh:
The news caption makes it look like a negative connotation why in actual sense it is a right step in a good direction meant for the good of all.

I believe that the Nigerian President is overburdened with responsibilities and needs to be free up for clear vision and better performance. It is only by legislative amendment like this that we can get to restructure easily and peacefully.

You just spoke my mind. Most people did not read the full story. I think they should also remove policing from the exclusive list.

2 Likes

Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by Tculest: 12:28pm On Dec 09, 2016
Justiyke4u:
It is very clear that most people that commented above except one or two persons did not read this report. Moving some items from exclusive legislative list to concurrent list is encouraging though more is required because the "doctrine of covering the field" can still prevent the state from enacting any law or doing anything on those items. In all, true federalism is what will only move this country forward in peace and unity and that can only be achieved by restructuring this country.
Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by Tculest: 12:30pm On Dec 09, 2016
[quote author=Tculest post=51771299][/quote]. And u tink Buhari wil sign them. Y did Jonathan refused to sign?
Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by Tculest: 12:33pm On Dec 09, 2016
khadaffi:
This is a very good development. Unfortunately many NL above did not even read the news. Probably only the topic. Furthermore I even think the powers to appoint the IGP should be given to the legislatures.
. I will only take u serious,if u can only tell me d reason y Jonathan refused to sign
Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by Tculest: 12:36pm On Dec 09, 2016
DamiBukola:
Hungerbad and Sarrki are you guys humans at all? Please stop this show of shame and do the needful by apologising to Nairaland. You guys must start reasoning from your heads and not anus, tell me one bad thing in Ike Ekweremadu's bill.

. Y did Jonathan refused to sign ,if it is gud? Hero of Democracy didn't sign. Dat means d bills are very bad

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by Blue3k(m): 12:44pm On Dec 09, 2016
Tculest:
. Y did Jonathan refused to sign ,if it is gud? Hero of Democracy didn't sign. Dat means d bills are very bad

Not necessary the bill would have reduced his powers. That's probably why he didn't sign it. He's seems to be called hero of democracy for doing basic thing like giving up tire after losin. Also holding free and fair election pretty basic.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by espionage48(m): 1:35pm On Dec 09, 2016
Are you a student and you couldnt join ultimate cycle?visit my signature and see how you can grow your income
Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by BlackMbakara1(m): 1:45pm On Dec 09, 2016
MrEverest:
Its terrible when a dullard welds too much powers, its akin to giving the control buttons of a nuke to a kid!

Buhari will not be there forever...
Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by BlackMbakara1(m): 1:48pm On Dec 09, 2016
Grundig:
Guys read. Read. read.

This is actually laudable. The presidency shouldn't have sweeping powers. Like someone opined above. I pray they also take away the appointment of IGP from the presidency. Like the NJC/CJN the most senior in rank should automatically take over.

Of what use is the title commander in chief?
Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by BlackMbakara1(m): 1:50pm On Dec 09, 2016
abumeinben:
Hehehehe...

One thing I fear of these is, particular the state resource control, what will happen to the poor, non-natural resource northern states.

For states handling pension and others, I hope they're not using Lagos as example!

If they're serious about the 4 or 5 additional seaports, then we are on the right track.

Imagine some rich states have not been able to pay salaries to teachers not to talk of adding more responsibilities to them. I doubt even if they increase their allocation they will still meet up.
Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by Nobody: 7:53pm On Dec 09, 2016
udemejack:
[b][/b]So even Goodluck refused to sign it into law,and you thing Buhari will?,this Ekweremadu is a complete joker
If Buhari doesn't sign it into law, the National Assembly would override the veto.
Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by Nobody: 7:57pm On Dec 09, 2016
BlackMbakara1:

Of what use is the title commander in chief?
The C-in-C title should only be applicable to the President's power to oversee the Nigerian military
Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by Nobody: 8:05pm On Dec 09, 2016
I like the proposed amendments that grant the State houses of assembly financial autonomy; decongest the Exclusive Legislative list; compel the President/governors to assign portfolios to ministerial/commissioner nominees.

The bill that seeks compel the inauguration of the president and VP-elect on the grounds of the NASS is also necessary.

I only wish the NASS would propose an amendment that will guarantee first line charge funding for INEC, which would truly guarantee its independence.
Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by ahaz: 8:21pm On Dec 09, 2016
HungerBAD:

just becos of f.t.c see as you turn yourself to dosomu.....just go through this jargon and see if you made any iota of sense.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by ahaz: 8:23pm On Dec 09, 2016
Justiyke4u:
It is very clear that most people that commented above except one or two persons did not read this report. Moving some items from exclusive legislative list to concurrent list is encouraging though more is required because the "doctrine of covering the field" can still prevent the state from enacting any law or doing anything on those items. In all, true federalism is what will only move this country forward in peace and unity and that can only be achieved by restructuring this country.
you for all people should know that nairaland is filled with kids who comment becos data is cheap.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by ahaz: 8:24pm On Dec 09, 2016
abu12:

d dullard is your problem now, instead of u and your stupid biafrans to agitate for reasonable ammendments from ekweremadu you are there full of hate with Buhari
see painment.
Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by sarrki(m): 8:26pm On Dec 09, 2016
ahaz:
just becos of f.t.c see as you turn yourself to dosomu.....just go through this jargon and see if you made any iota of sense.

Please settle down

Give your device to someone to interpret
Re: Constitution Review: Senate Cuts President’s Powers by Nobody: 8:48pm On Dec 09, 2016
omohayek:

But the police aren't part of the armed forces! That you perceive them to be says a great deal about how the lines between police and the military have been blurred in Nigeria by their repeated misuse over the years. Policemen aren't soldiers, and soldiers have no right to act as if they were policemen when they're dealing with civilians; the all too common sight of soldiers "arresting" ordinary people is nothing more than thuggery.

Exactly. The armed forces have been overused in maintaining internal law and order. Police functions should strictly be exercised ONLY by the police (except for traffic offenses).

I'd also like the NASS to incorporate the 2004 Armed Forces Act, which stipulates that the Senate shall have power to confirm the president's Service Chief nominees, into the proposed amendments; as well as a provision that also gives the Senate the power to confirm the president's IG nominee.

The NPF funding should also be First Line charge, in addition to NASS's, INEC, and State houses of assembly funding.

That way, the IG would wouldn't be a lapdog of Aso Rock.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

JUST IN: Buhari Sets Targets For Incoming Ministers / Top 10 Richest Politicians In Nigeria And Their Net Worth / COVID-19: PDP Says Buhari Offered No Solutions

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.