Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,757 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:22 PM

Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. (10597 Views)

NNPC Tasks Workers On Recession / Unemployment Fear Grows As More Nigerians Lose Jobs / Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by Roum(m): 6:59am On Dec 09, 2016
wow...God u are powerful! !!!! I swear no feel dz recession even small. .....shebi when I dey learn electrical work dem say I be madman, now come see d rilli mad ppl.
Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by wadetaw202: 6:59am On Dec 09, 2016
sarrki:

You don't need to rant .

Pass your message and don't insult

Oooh forgotten that's signs of wailers
Payperpost, how's business? How do you feel selling your destiny for a morsel of meat? It feels good, abi? Shioh......spit!

1 Like

Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by Nobody: 7:00am On Dec 09, 2016
May circumstance NEVER force us into odd jobs against our will!
Aftermath of demonicCHAINge!

1 Like

Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by Dexema(m): 7:03am On Dec 09, 2016
Waste and scavenging business will always thrive in a populated city like Lagos. On the other hand, I have recently learnt to respect people who have decided to embrace legal modes of living no matter what they do.

3 Likes

Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by afroxyz: 7:09am On Dec 09, 2016
All because they listened to seun's advice and refused to participate in mmm
Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by amanze15(m): 7:11am On Dec 09, 2016
this is a Billion dollar industry anywhere else outside of this dark continent, a state in the US had about 900 to 1000 landfills and 500 recycle centers connected to them. please who has one of this polithiefians numbers, they would see viable business and decide to go and stock pile stolen wealth to rut underground, waste is wealth cool

2 Likes

Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by amanze15(m): 7:12am On Dec 09, 2016
Dexema:
Waste and scavenging business will always thrive in a populated city like Lagos. On the other hand, I have recently learnt to respect people who have decided to embrace legal modes of living no matter what they do.
giving them proper PPE and having a company's tag while they do it "crudely" would generate massive employment. but what do i know?! undecided
Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by Nobody: 7:19am On Dec 09, 2016
Mynd44:
Nigerian Journalists are really something else

And

With this amount of average earning, does there have to be a recession before people take this profession? undecided undecided undecided

Even without recession, how much do civil servants earn? How much do private school teachers earn?

Just imagine, and flexible hours too yet this journalist seem to think it is caused by recession. No, the pay is freaking attractive to a lot of people

Have you thought about the hazard ? Do you know how much they spend on their health daily?

2 Likes

Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by abbeyty(m): 7:19am On Dec 09, 2016
Mynd44:

And

With this amount of average earning, does there have to be a recession before people take this profession? undecided undecided undecided

Even without recession, how much do civil servants earn? How much do private school teachers earn?

Just imagine, and flexible hours too yet this journalist seem to think it is caused by recession. No, the pay is freaking attractive to a lot of people

don't mind him/her as if he dey earn more than that as a journalist himself lol.. Nigeria mentality about work is that everyone must sit in the office even though you are earning peanut
Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by Amanwulu1(m): 7:23am On Dec 09, 2016
Mynd44:

And

it is not nigerian journalists but ur understanding. D emphasis is on more nigerians. meaning dat scavenging dump-site didn't start wit recession but recession has made many who ordinarily wouldn't go there to go there.

4 Likes

Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by Emempaul(m): 7:39am On Dec 09, 2016
Mynd44:

And

u earn more for scavenging metal scraps
Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by idupaul: 7:40am On Dec 09, 2016
Agimor:
What I deduce from this piece is that they didn't go into the business because of recession like the Op is trying to paint it, rather they delve into the business of the high returns.

The key word here is more?

2 Likes

Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by brownhawk: 7:44am On Dec 09, 2016
Mynd44:

And

just look at it.. the only important factor is money.. if only the info could be exploited and the acts should be utilized.. people would make their money
Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by brownhawk: 7:45am On Dec 09, 2016
Acidosis:
^ ^ So why haven't you all picked up scavenging jobs, or do you earn 200k monthly?

Like scavenging job, sh!t business is also lucrative but people will always ignore such jobs until poverty strikes harder.

Majority of the players in that industry were forced into it. There are other decent, and less-paying jobs they could have grabbed if available.

Be that as it may, I am proud of those labourers, at least for embracing a legal job. Armed robbery is equally lucrative and in fact, more lucrative than oil and gas jobs, yet people mostly embrace robbery in recession.

You all want us to believe scavenging isn't a result of recession, yet you are all snoring, and hailing over 30k stipends from Buhari. Hypocrites!
i agree
Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by chronique(m): 8:08am On Dec 09, 2016
Nicely said.
Acidosis:
^ ^ So why haven't you all picked up scavenging jobs, or do you earn 200k monthly?

Like scavenging job, sh!t business is also lucrative but people will always ignore such jobs until poverty strikes harder.

Majority of the players in that industry were forced into it. There are other decent, and less-paying jobs they could have grabbed if available.

Be that as it may, I am proud of those labourers, at least for embracing a legal job. Armed robbery is equally lucrative and in fact, more lucrative than oil and gas jobs, yet people mostly embrace robbery in recession.

You all want us to believe scavenging isn't a result of recession, yet you are all snoring, and hailing over 30k stipends from Buhari. Hypocrites!
Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by okhiai1(m): 8:10am On Dec 09, 2016
Acidosis:

We can do a survey. I can assure you that 9 out of 10 Nigerian graduates will embrace Buhari's 30k over a 60k scavenging job.
Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by mapet: 8:27am On Dec 09, 2016
Mynd44:

And

In fact, as I was reading the report I asked myself if the body of the report was for another title. some of our journalist are crude, unprofessional and can never grow.

This report simply points to the positives in waste-to-wealth
Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by Nobody: 8:28am On Dec 09, 2016
9jakohai:
Very sad....but at the same time, if Nigerians can use this opportunity to turn waste to wealth....ie set up recycling plants.....this can take us out of recession and provide more jobs.

It isn't bad news.

What some rich investors should do is turn the waste to useful things....like building power plats fuelled by waste, and using the raw materials from waste to fuel our industrial development.

There is a silver lining in every cloud.
yes! and why only Rich investors, anynone with a reasonable Amount can go into this venture, i would like to invest, esspecially in scrap metals and copper,European countries has been recycling for years, it is big business
Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by mapet: 8:34am On Dec 09, 2016
Acidosis:

We can do a survey. I can assure you that 9 out of 10 Nigerian graduates will embrace Buhari's 30k over a 60k scavenging job.

Bros,

Without a certified stats, your submission falls flat. There is a young lady from Kwara state, a graduate of Uni-Ilorin that started We-cyclers. She is trendly internationally at the moment.

My business plan/MBA project at business school 7-8years ago was on Waste Management Business and I can tell you that this is an industry that is under-tapped, yet-to-be structured, yet there is a lot of money being made by people already in it. If the journalist that put up the rubbish report is not lazy, he would have found out that these scavengers are actually feeders to bigger collectors in the value-chain. For example, there is a huge demand from China for plastic pellets. The scavengers to feed this market collect as little as pure-water sachet which is processed into pellets.

These people collect with raffia bags, We-cyclers collect with customized tricycles. Graduates are coming into this business and will "spin" the industry
Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by Nobody: 8:36am On Dec 09, 2016
mapet:

In fact, as I was reading the report I asked myself if the body of the report was for another title. some of our journalist are crude, unprofessional and can never grow.

This report simply points to the positives in waste-to-wealth
yes but the people scavenging the waste needed to be mentioned, whether they are scavenging because of the recession, because they are jobless, because they enjoy the smell of the dumbsite, scavenging for a hobby, fun or because they are poor and hungry. otherwise the report would not be fundamentally reported.
Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by mapet: 8:36am On Dec 09, 2016
9jakohai:
Very sad....but at the same time, if Nigerians can use this opportunity to turn waste to wealth....ie set up recycling plants.....this can take us out of recession and provide more jobs.

It isn't bad news.

What some rich investors should do is turn the waste to useful things....like building power plats fuelled by waste, and using the raw materials from waste to fuel our industrial development.

There is a silver lining in every cloud.

Bros,

Trust me, there is nothing sad in it. This is something a lot of people have been making good money from over 20yrs ago till now. If you're not ashamed, and you like this business, then it is sustainable. The reporter is just lazy not to have done his homework well

1 Like

Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by mapet: 8:39am On Dec 09, 2016
Amanwulu1:
it is not nigerian journalists but ur understanding. D emphasis is on more nigerians. meaning dat scavenging dump-site didn't start wit recession but recession has made many who ordinarily wouldn't go there to go there.

That in itself is questionable. The report did not show any statistical evidence to back this. He just picked up about 4persons, interviewed them and voila he came to such conclusion.
Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by mapet: 8:44am On Dec 09, 2016
gypsey:
yes but the people scavenging the waste needed to be mentioned, whether they are scavenging because of the recession, because they are jobless, because they enjoy the smell of the dumbsite, scavenging for a hobby, fun or because they are poor and hungry. otherwise the report would not be fundamentally reported.

Since the report avers that the average take home pay of a typical scavenger is 3x the national minimum wage, then the thrust of the report falls flat. Recession is something people can give as excuse, yes, but I could not draw the nexus between the impact of recession and scavenging as reported in this piece.
Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by Nobody: 8:45am On Dec 09, 2016
mapet:

Bros,

Trust me, there is nothing sad in it. This is something a lot of people have been making good money from over 20yrs ago till now. If you're not ashamed, and you like this business, then it is sustainable. The reporter is just lazy not to have done his homework well
so who are the people who buy this scraps from the scavengers? and do you know who buys from the buyers of the scavengers? were does this scrap, waste ends up ultimately? pardon my curiosity it's just that i might want to invest in these venture grin
Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by Afritop(m): 8:53am On Dec 09, 2016
rawpadgin:
shebi lagosians voted for buhari

them never see anything
HOW MUCH DO YOU EARN ANNUALLY IN YOUR JOB
Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by Nobody: 8:58am On Dec 09, 2016
mapet:

Since the report avers that the average take home pay of a typical scavenger is 3x the national minimum wage, then the thrust of the report falls flat. Recession is something people can give as excuse, yes, but I could not draw the nexus between the impact of recession and scavenging as reported in this piece.
Absolutely! and it is sad that the take home pay of a scavenger is 3 times the minimum wage, which explains why most folk venture into scavenging. so i would say it's boils than to overall hardship, lack of well paid jobs in the country and perhaps partly because of the recession, and i also agree with you on Recession takes all the blame only because that's what been sold to the people by the media
Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by whizcartel(m): 9:02am On Dec 09, 2016
I know they are hustling, I'm not hating. But at least they should be considerate. Just this morning I went to place my refuse where were we usually place it so it could be carried away. There it was neatly packed in a waste bag. Next thing I saw was this guy who just came to tear the nylon bag open letting all the refuse inside the bag scatter on the side the pedestrian walkway. It made the place look so ugly. I no fit talk before them go Pam my head. Funny thing now is that the bag I disposed was my organic waste. No aluminum no metal. I sort.
Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by uboma(m): 9:15am On Dec 09, 2016
ZKOSOSO:
Talents Hunt. They could discover Mungo Park right there.... grin angry

Quit your sarcasm.
It is uncalled for.
Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by Nobody: 9:20am On Dec 09, 2016
mapet:

Bros,

Without a certified stats, your submission falls flat. There is a young lady from Kwara state, a graduate of Uni-Ilorin that started We-cyclers. She is trendly internationally at the moment.

My business plan/MBA project at business school 7-8years ago was on Waste Management Business and I can tell you that this is an industry that is under-tapped, yet-to-be structured, yet there is a lot of money being made by people already in it. If the journalist that put up the rubbish report is not lazy, he would have found out that these scavengers are actually feeders to bigger collectors in the value-chain. For example, there is a huge demand from China for plastic pellets. The scavengers to feed this market collect as little as pure-water sachet which is processed into pellets.

These people collect with raffia bags, We-cyclers collect with customized tricycles. Graduates are coming into this business and will "spin" the industry
you know exactly what you are talking about! i worked with a recycling company here in England and i have been wondering on how one can venture into a medium scale Recycling company in nigeria as the Recycling business in nigeria from what i ve witnessed when ever i am in nigeria, is untapped, i saw millions of plastic bottles, bags, cardboards and scrapped vehicles Abbandoned all over streets corners waiting to be Recycled
Europe has been Recyling for years infact most Governments in europe like Germany and UK make a national bugget for Recyling only.

I can see you are passionate about this issue. and i can understand your position.
Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by Acidosis(m): 9:22am On Dec 09, 2016
mapet:

Bros,

I agree with you sir but there is a huge difference between an average MBA (waste management) guy and a scavenger.

You have to visit Ojota dump site to understand the modus operandi of a scavenger.
Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by mapet: 9:27am On Dec 09, 2016
Acidosis:

I agree with you sir but there is a huge difference between an average MBA (waste management) guy and a scavenger.

You have to visit Ojota dump site to understand the modus operandi of a scavenger.

I visited Isolo Waste site then, in fact there was an MSc student from LASU we connected with, who was a consultant to Lagos State Government on Waste Management. It was him who took us round, and on our entourage was a white guy from a Foreign Organisation (waste-to-wealth) who came to fund some of these guys working in the chain.

I lived in Ikosi-ketu in the mid 90s and Ojota (Olushosun) was just a walk away from my house.
Re: Recession: More Nigerians Resort To Dumpsite Scavenging.. by mapet: 9:30am On Dec 09, 2016
gypsey:
you know exactly what you are talking about! i worked with a recycling company here in England and i have been wondering on how one can venture into a medium scale Recycling company in nigeria as the Recycling business in nigeria from what i ve witnessed when ever i am in nigeria, is untapped, i saw millions of plastic bottles, bags, cardboards and scrapped vehicles Abbandoned all over streets corners waiting to be Recycled
Europe has been Recyling for years infact most Governments in europe like Germany and UK make a national bugget for Recyling only.

I can see you are passionate about this issue. and i can understand your position.

Thanks Bros, Memories.......... I have sitting in my folder a N100m business plan on Waste management......Hopefully I will pick it up 2018........

I suggest you connect with Lagos state government. They are really doing a lot in this regard and are working with private sector guys

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Get An Internship With The World Bank? / Ogun Labour Leaders address workers from bush for fear of thugs / Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.