Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,753 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:19 PM

A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) (45701 Views)

Princess Inikpi Buried Alive, Sacrificed For Survival Of The Igala Nation. Video / Man Killed By Lightning In Kwara Buried In Pigs Blood, Corpse Exhumed. Photos / Boy’s Legs Buried, In Benue State, Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by MadamExcellency: 3:36pm On Dec 10, 2016
gj22:

So does beating a child to comma most times stop the child from committing an offense.

It doesn't mean 1) it's hygienic 2)it's sensible 3) it's safe 4) won't leave some psychological defects in the child.

Something works doesn't mean it's the best approach.

In this case, there's no bodily harm nor a situation leading to casualty.

There is no difference between this practice and putting a plaster-of-paris on a dislocated joint.
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by juman(m): 3:36pm On Dec 10, 2016
EternalTruths:
There is nothing wrong with such practice.

It will help the child to overcome the fear to walk.

Its a traditional medical practice

Using baby walker is better or something as such.
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by habsydiamond(m): 3:37pm On Dec 10, 2016
na only benue that fit happen for naija here. So na as dem bury the leg nao she go come walk. Yeye of the highest order.
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by misterjosh(m): 3:38pm On Dec 10, 2016
I don't see this as barbaric or cruel. so long the kid is in no pain or discomfort. Not everyone can afford a physiotherapist, so they're carrying out therapy on the child within their own means.

1 Like

Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by ebirazz(m): 3:43pm On Dec 10, 2016
DeLioncourt:

An ancient practice that only leaves the child with trauma.
This does not serve any sensible purpose...the idea that it with help the child walk is a baseless myth.

if d tin de work den shut up na, which trauma de dis?
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by Ajaodolapo(m): 3:46pm On Dec 10, 2016
angeltolly:
cheesy They even gave the baby sweet and buscuit to keep him busy all the while.

In this 21st century Whoever did this no get sense sha. What is the correlation between this practice and baby walking. Smh.... So many microbes in that dump site. Common sense is not comment.
neo-colonialism in its full effect. Evritin dat is African, even if it works is seen as barbaric, dirty.i pity ds generation of ours. If it gives desired result nko? Wat den will u say?

1 Like

Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by Madeu(m): 3:48pm On Dec 10, 2016
misterjosh:
I don't see this as barbaric or cruel. so long the kid is in no pain or discomfort. Not everyone can afford a physiotherapist, so they're carrying out therapy on the child within their own means.
Doing a professional's job ''within their own means.''
No wonder life expectancy rate in Nigeria is pegged at 52-56 years.
It might drop down after the expiration of Buhari's tenure.
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by Nobody: 3:49pm On Dec 10, 2016
Onegai:
So if the child has scratched himself (like all kids do) and has an open sore on his skin and his legs are buried underground, he walks but then the wound gets infected....

what next?
these people aren't thinking about the implications of their actions. there're safer and less risky ways to help a child walk than burying his leg like this.
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by Malawian(m): 3:50pm On Dec 10, 2016
Pylony:
If it is destined a child can not work, no two ways about it.
how do you know the one that is destiny? our ols neighbours fist son refused to walk even after 1 1/2 years. they went from one hospital to another, they were busy selling them cod liver oil and other stuff, no result, then they travelled with the boy. i dont know what they did in the village, but the boy came back running sef.

also, i had seen this stuff before in the village, i thought they were punishing the boy or that the boy cant stay one place so they burried him there to know where he was. grin grin i had no idea it was something else until this thread.
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by sinkhole: 3:54pm On Dec 10, 2016
redsceptic:

Did you read the post? You dont see the problem in someone exposed to pathogenic fungi that can cause meningitis, lung infection, skin infections that do not have a cure?
The point is, it works, as claimed by some people and hence further studies of how and why it works need to be done! There may be hidden knowledge here.
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by kings11ng(m): 4:04pm On Dec 10, 2016
angeltolly:
cheesy They even gave the baby sweet and buscuit to keep him busy all the while.

In this 21st century Whoever did this no get sense sha. What is the correlation between this practice and baby walking. Smh.... So many microbes in that dump site. Common sense is not comment.
just because you are talking about common sense, it doesn't mean you have it. that you don't understand something doesn't mean it ain't effective. don't be too quick to expose your ignorance
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by samsam2019: 4:04pm On Dec 10, 2016
Africans with their disregardfor their very own culture. So I have seen it before and it works just fine.

Our ancestors may not build planes but they are thinkers. They are not some nut eating monkeys the whites would have you believe.

Some of y'all openingyour mouth like goat you don't even know if that was how you began to walk

2 Likes

Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by Acidosis(m): 4:12pm On Dec 10, 2016
Nothing wrong with such acts.

Many nations, including the Chinese, engage in traditional medicine.

If people could insert needles in their bodies and term it Acupuncture, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with this!
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by erico2k2(m): 4:18pm On Dec 10, 2016
angeltolly:

There is Nothing wrong . Even western Scientists are learning acienter ways of doing things when modern methods do not work
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by emiarire(f): 4:19pm On Dec 10, 2016
Let me first say, i learnt sth new today (tho i wont try it). Also, in as much am a supporter of tradition (to an extent tho), is still think this is risky n i fear 4 d child. What if he is bitten by a poisonous snake or stung by a scorpoin underground? He'll jst b there probably crying n trust our nigerian parents dey wont bother to check d real reason y he is crying (all in d name of discipline) till its too late... I still think there r other methods dat r safer n still effective than dis.
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by JesusmyGod1: 4:27pm On Dec 10, 2016
redsceptic:

If you can not scientifically defend the practice keep quiet. I can scientifically condemn it.

Not all children walk at the same age. Different people reach the milestone at different ages. Some never do. The cause of developmental delay should be sought by a professional.

The child is at risk of infection from earth dwelling microbes including viruses, bacteria and fungi. He may contract tetanus, botilinism, anthrax, , histoplasmosis, cryptosporidium, aspergillosis, pneumococcus, pneumocysticosis and strachybotrys among more than 100 other possibilities.
Among the bacteria let us mention the gram negatives as well as coliforms (bacteria found in human and animal waste)

Many of these have no effective treatment even with modern medicines

He may be exposed to elemental poisoning from man made and natural substances in the soil including radioactive waste, lead, products of degradation of plastics and other compounds, degradation products of insecticides and herbicides, leeched byproducts of industrial processes and mining etc.

Apart from sickness, this child is being subjected to mental and physical abuse by ignorant and/or wicked guardians.

Yet some people come here to defend this barbarism. Shame on you.

Black man. I give you hand o! No wonder we are last in everything that matters
u lack sense of reasoning
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by Nobody: 4:30pm On Dec 10, 2016
Quote my words this child may be the president of tomorrow
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by xerxes456(m): 4:40pm On Dec 10, 2016
JesusmyGod1:
u lack sense of reasoning
can you define reasoning? I've never seen where fetish and superstitious beliefs follow reasonable pattern....
My baby got to walk well past the expected time, all we did was wait and let him get there now he runs everywhere...
This is barbaric and if it worked in time past Is just a hoax... Nigerian wake up and face life for what it is... sharp sharp no dey help in the long run.

1 Like

Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by ndcide(m): 4:40pm On Dec 10, 2016
redsceptic:

If you can not scientifically defend the practice keep quiet. I can scientifically condemn it.

Not all children walk at the same age. Different people reach the milestone at different ages. Some never do. The cause of developmental delay should be sought by a professional.

The child is at risk of infection from earth dwelling microbes including viruses, bacteria and fungi. He may contract tetanus, botilinism, anthrax, , histoplasmosis, cryptosporidium, aspergillosis, pneumococcus, pneumocysticosis and strachybotrys among more than 100 other possibilities.
Among the bacteria let us mention the gram negatives as well as coliforms (bacteria found in human and animal waste)

Many of these have no effective treatment even with modern medicines

He may be exposed to elemental poisoning from man made and natural substances in the soil including radioactive waste, lead, products of degradation of plastics and other compounds, degradation products of insecticides and herbicides, leeched byproducts of industrial processes and mining etc.

Apart from sickness, this child is being subjected to mental and physical abuse by ignorant and/or wicked guardians.

Yet some people come here to defend this barbarism. Shame on you.

Black man. I give you hand o! No wonder we are last in everything that matters

All these stories. Go to that village and see where these children play. I also grew up in the village....If you analyse the places we go to play, you'll say children shouldn't play again. Not this one that is a therapy.

1 Like

Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by masqot(m): 4:43pm On Dec 10, 2016
As much as I don't support this primitive therapy, it might work. Besides, the boy should "thank his head". In another clime, he could be accused of witchcraft.
The offence of the boy in that pix was not so grievous before he was abandoned to die.

...../p38pJo-3N....
https://hubzs.files./2016/02/wp-1455692967922.jpg

Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by JesusmyGod1: 4:45pm On Dec 10, 2016
xerxes456:
can you define reasoning? I've never seen where fetish and superstitious beliefs follow reasonable pattern....
My baby got to walk well past the expected time, all we did was wait and let him get there now he runs everywhere...
This is barbaric and if it worked in time past Is just a hoax... Nigerian wake up and face life for what it is... sharp sharp no dey help in the long run.
ok continue in your ignorance.

u forgot we Africans have our own way of life, we got culture and religion till the white supremacist came and took everything away

stop claiming scientist u ain't bro.
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by Lizzyfroshey(f): 4:46pm On Dec 10, 2016
DeLioncourt:

This does not serve any sensible purpose...the idea that it with help the child walk is a baseless myth.

Bros you are not intelligent, you dull gan
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by Edum13656: 5:15pm On Dec 10, 2016
DeLioncourt:

Oyibo wannabe, stop disturbing us. It helps the boy walk, do u want him crippled?
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by deltateam: 5:22pm On Dec 10, 2016
DeLioncourt:

And dyu know what psychological scar you may have left the child with?
Y'all shud consider every implication of an act before executing it. There's a reason such acts are not approved by relevant authorities

Which relevant authorities? If I need light, I buy fuel for my generator. If I need water, I pump water from my borehole.

So what has the so called irrelevant authority done for me besides clamouring for increase in data price that fellow Nigerians use to keep sane.

The day Nigerians go reason these authorities that day go RED.
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by redsceptic: 5:22pm On Dec 10, 2016
AZeD1:

I'm not in support of the act but I doubt there'll be any psychological scar. The boy doesn't know his right from his left so how and what would scar him?

You doubt wrongly. Children exposed to psychological trauma can suffer from its effects.

Have you heard of Sigmund Freud? Carl Jung? Eric Ericson? These people are famous for their work in showing how the early experiences of the child affect his adult development.
There is a whole area of psychology devoted to studying and understanding childhood development.
Google is your friend
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by Nobody: 5:44pm On Dec 10, 2016
If it works, then its good.

As for those saying thrash about the practise, what do you know about science really! Its time you stop all these your highly civilized level of ignorance
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by AZeD1(m): 5:56pm On Dec 10, 2016
redsceptic:

You doubt wrongly. Children exposed to psychological trauma can suffer from its effects.

Have you heard of Sigmund Freud? Carl Jung? Eric Ericson? These people are famous for their work in showing how the early experiences of the child affect his adult development.
There is a whole area of psychology devoted to studying and understanding childhood development.
Google is your friend
Trauma: a deeply distressing or disturbing experience.

The kid has a sweet in his mouth and a biscuit in his mouth, since when did that traumatise children?

1 Like

Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by Nobody: 6:14pm On Dec 10, 2016
redsceptic:

Did you read the post? You dont see the problem in someone exposed to pathogenic fungi that can cause meningitis, lung infection, skin infections that do not have a cure?

SEE YOUR MATE

Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by kunletexs: 6:47pm On Dec 10, 2016
in as much as it look mundane to many, i was treated that way when i was 3 years and had not walk. i was told i was put in a hole just like that and even given water from a bell. i am a living witness to the fact that i can now walk,

1 Like

Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by psalmsjob: 7:04pm On Dec 10, 2016
DeLioncourt:

Y'all shud consider every implication of an act before executing it. There's a reason such acts are not approved by relevant authorities

What is this one saying again, which authority pass our great grand fathers and mothers.

They say it's an ancient practice and someone just confirm that it works and you are ranting about psychological trauma which will be more of a trauma to the boy in future if he can't eventually walk and he gets to learn such a practice could have helped him to do so and his parents knew yet because of people like you they didn't.

Well I guess you don't have a child yet so don't seem to know the trauma the parents are going through right now because of his inability to walk without any obvious reasons. We should all have been extinct by now if our ancestors were dumb as some of us assume they were.

1 Like

Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by Kyllahmc(m): 7:12pm On Dec 10, 2016
Parents bah... In two years time now they would be screaming "sit down one place" and not "walk" again. Well i personally dont see anything wrong with that pic... I see it as a work out.
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by Nobody: 7:25pm On Dec 10, 2016
DeLioncourt:

oga pack well which kind scar?

see pikin dey groove wit sweet u say Na scar, don't be surprised this has some scientific proving

I guess u don't knw there are worst practice Dan this one when it comes to situations like dis

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

80-Year-Old Alaafin Of Oyo Demonstrates How To Disarm A Thief (Photos) / Alaafin Oyo's Last Letter To Governor Makinde / Beautiful Yoruba Brides In Their Costume

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.