Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,393 members, 7,826,511 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 03:20 PM

HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! (26898 Views)

Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe / Famous Quotes By Ojukwu / History Lesson 2: Gideon Orkar Broadcast Message-unedited (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Eziachi: 12:03am On Nov 13, 2009
"Until now efforts to relieve the Biafran people have been thwarted by the desire of the central government of Nigeria to pursue total and unconditional victory and by the fear of the Ibo people that surrender means wholesale atrocities and genocide. But genocide is what is taking place right now - and starvation is the grim reaper. This is not the time to stand on ceremony, or to go through channels or to observe the diplomatic niceties,  The destruction of an entire people is an immoral objective even in the most moral of wars. It can never be justified; it can never be condoned."
Mr. Richard Nixon, September 9, 1968- During the Presidential Campaign.

"Federal troops,  killed, or stood by while mobs killed, more than 5000 Ibos in Warri, Sapele, Agbor, "
New York Times, 10th January, 1968.

".It’s (mass starvation) is a legitimate aspect of war, " Anthony Enahoro, Nigerian Commissioner for Information at a press conference in (New York, July 1968)
"Starvation is a legitimate weapon of war, and we have every intention of using it against the rebels, "
Mr Alison Ayida, Head of Nigerian Delegation, Niamey Peace Talks, Republic of Niger, July 1968) "

All is fair in war, and starvation is one of the weapons of war. I don't see why we should feed our enemies fat in order for them to fight harder."
Chief Obafemi Awolowo (Nigerian Minister of Finance, July 28th 1969) " , 

The Igbos must be considerably reduced in number" (Lagos Policeman quoted in New York Review, 21 December, 1967)
One word now describes the policy of the Nigerian military government towards secessionist Biafra: genocide. It is ugly and extreme but it is the only word which fits Nigeria's decision to stop the International Committee of the red Cross, and other relief agencies, from flying food to Biafra , 
" Washington Post (editorial) July 2, 1969 "

In some areas outside the East,  Igbos were killed by local people with at least the acquiescence of the federal forces,  1000 Igbo civilians perished in Benin in this way"
(Max Edward- Reporter on the ground-New York Review, 21 December 1967) "

After federal forces take over of Benin,  troops killed about 500 Igbo civilians after a house-to-house search with the aid of willing locals"
(Washington Morning Post, 27 September, 1967)

"The greatest single massacre occurred in the Igbo town of Asaba where 700 Igbo male were lined up and shot as terrified women/children were forced to watch"
(London Observer, 21 January, 1968)

"Federal troops,  killed, or stood by while mobs killed, more than 5000 Ibos in Wari, Sapele, Agbor, "
(New York Times, 10th January, 1968)

"There has been genocide on the occasion of the 1966 massacres,  the region between the towns of Benin and Asaba where only widows and orphans remain, federal troops having, for unknown reasons, massacred all the men"
(Paris Le Monde, 5th April, 1968)

"In Calabar,  federal forces shot at least 1000 and perhaps 2000 Igbos, most of them civilians"
(New York Times, 18th January, 1968).

"Bestialities and indignities of all kinds were visited on Biafrans in 1966. In Ikeja Barracks (Western Nigeria) Biafrans were forcibly fed on a mixture of human urine and faeces. In Northern Nigeria numerous Biafran house-wives and nursing mothers were raped before their husbands and children. Young girls were abducted from their homes, working places and schools and forced into sexual intercourse with sick, demented and leprous men.
Mr. Eric Spiff (German War correspondence Eyewitness, 1967

"There has been genocide, for example on the occasion of the 1966 massacres ,  Two areas have suffered badly [from the fighting]. Firstly the region between the towns of Benin and Asaba where only widows and orphans remain, Federal troops having for unknown reasons massacred all the men. According to eyewitnesses of that massacre the Nigerian commander ordered the execution of every Ibo male over the age of ten years.
" Monsignor Georges (sent down on a fact-finding mission by His holiness the Pope reporting his finding in Vatican Rome
Le Monde (French Evening newspaper) April 5, 1968. ", 

650 refugee camps,  contained about 700,000 haggard bundles of human flotsam waiting hopelessly for a meal, outside the camps,  was the reminder of an estimated four and a half to five million displaced persons,  the Kwashiokor scourge,  a million and half children,  suffer(ed) from it during January; that put the forecast death toll at another 300,000 children,  More than the pogroms of 1966, more than the war casualties, more than the terror bombings, it was the experience of watching helplessly their children waste away and die that gave birth to,  a deep and unrelenting loathing,  It is a feeling that will one day reap a bitter harvest unless,  "

(Frederick Forsyth, British writer January 21st 1969) ",

I saw several hundred of Zombie-like creatures -men, women and children, lying, sitting or squatting in the midst of others who were dead. The living ones were completely reduced to skeletons and could not talk. I was seeing for the first time,  kwashiorkor,  Frankly, I took fright,  I believe that any foreign troops from anywhere in the world occupying Ikot Ekpene or any other town in Biafra would have shown much more sympathy, "
(Gen. Alex Madiebo, Ikot Ekpene, July 1968)

"One word now describes the policy of the Nigerian military government towards Biafra:- genocide. It is ugly and extreme but it is the only word which fits Nigeria's decision to stop the International Committee of the red Cross, and other relief agencies, from flying food to Biafra , " The Nazis had ressurrected just here as Nigerian forces, 
Washington Post (editorial) July 2, 1969

"The loss of life from starvation continues at more than 10,000 persons per day - over 1,000,000 lives in recent months. Without emergency measures now, the number will climb to 25,000 per day within a month - and some 2,000,000 deaths by the end of the year. The new year will only bring greater disaster to a people caught in the passion of fratricidal war, we can't allow this to continue or those responsible to go free."
Senator Kennedy appeals to Americans - Sunday, November 17, 1968 ", 

I want to see no Red Cross, no Caritas, no World Council of Churches, no Pope, no missionary and no UN delegation. I want to prevent even one Ibo from having even one piece to eat before their capitulation. We shoot at everything that moves and when our troops march into the centre of Ibo territory, we shoot at everything even at things that do not move,  "

( Benjamin Adekunle. Commander, 3rd Marine Commando Division, Nigerian Army to French radio reporter). ",

The war aim and (final) solution properly speaking of the entire problem, is to discriminate against the Igbos and in their own interest. Such discrimination would include above all the detachment of those oil-rich territories in the Eastern Region,  in addition, the Igbos' freedom of movement would be restricted, to prevent their renewed penetration into other parts,  leaving any access to the sea to the Igbos,  is quite out of the question, "
(Federal Nigerian Minister speaking to E. C. Schwarzenback, Swiss Review of Africa, February 1968)

"Let us go and crush them. We will pillage their property, rape their womenfolk, kill off their menfolk and leave them uselessly weeping. We will complete the pogrom of 1966"
(The theme song of Radio Kaduna, government-controlled, 1967-1970).

"Unfortunately this [Gowon's] enlightenment at the top level does not penetrate very deep: a Lagos police officer was quoted last month as saying that the Igbos must be considerably reduced in number"
Dr Conor cruise O'Bien , 21 December 1967 New York Review

"Myself and The same UNICEF representatives went on to convey something of what lay behind this intransigence: "Among the large majority hailing from that tribe (Yorubas) who are most vocal in inciting the complete extermination of the Igbos, I often heard remarks that all Nigeria's ills will be cured once the Igbos has been extaminated from the human map , "
Dr Conor Cruise O'Bien (21 December, 1967, New York Review).
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Eziachi: 12:11am On Nov 13, 2009
If you think that this is chilling, you haven't even read half of it. So next time castigate Biafrans, just think twice.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Afam(m): 8:30am On Nov 13, 2009
And today the Igbos still hold their own in every single endeavor. Evil cannot and will not overshadow good.

The blood of the innocent killed will continue to haunt the wicked and some are even regretting, others have had to die shamefully while others have become confused and stupid now after realizing that their short sightedness made no sense.

I guess with these facts more non Igbos would learn to appreciate what the Igbos went through, what they represent and what they will always fight for.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by saintneo(m): 9:42am On Nov 13, 2009
deleted
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 9:46am On Nov 13, 2009
This History can make a man weep o! There was no difference between the KKK and these devils that wish the annihilation of the Igbo people.

This exactly the reason why they are afraid; they tell their children lies about Igbo people.

bullshit, who is telling lies about igbo
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by chosen04(f): 11:34am On Nov 13, 2009
Eziachi,
Great work!!
U beat me to it. I was working on same. Its great how the IGBOS have refused to slave to the bastards.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by bibiking1(m): 11:46am On Nov 13, 2009
Why are you guys turning over the decomposing body of peace (or its semblance)
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Afam(m): 11:46am On Nov 13, 2009
chosen04:

Eziachi,
Great work!!
U beat me to it. I was working on same. Its great how the IGBOS have refused to slave to the bastards.

Who is afraid of equity, transparency, justice, fair play and equal opportunity?

These things are what the average Igbo man or woman wants and I sincerely believe that every single person should want the same thing. Sacrificing excellence at the altar of mediocrity has never done mankind any good and will never do.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by FrankC3: 12:07pm On Nov 13, 2009
I can still see the tired war boot of my uncle by the wall. It is a monument i wish to let my children see. He loves telling me stories of how brave men (some of them under 15) fell on bombs to save a battalion from extermination. Here we are, somebode should tell Adekunle that those guys are even more now. They ( the Nigerian killing machines) are presently repenting ,  but that is just the beginning. My father use to tell me when i do some things stupid that it was not what Ojukwu would have done and it made me cry then because that man is the Igboness i see. This reminds me of how resilient (infact how igbo) i am.

Igbo ga adi!!
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Nobody: 12:09pm On Nov 13, 2009
hello guys,

it was really great to stumble on this post and even greater to know there are people who think and see what you do. THE THINGS YOUR ENEMIES WANT YOU TO FORGET ARE THE THINGS TO REMEMBER! i think we should as young igbo come together to

1) document the experiences and events of the biafran war because what we hear today are what others say

2)find a more effective strategy to restore our economic dominance, something beyond the thieving, semi literate petty trader model currently in place

3)develop ways to make our young people go to school and find pride and dignity in their igboness

4)finally, make igboland viable economically, so that all of our investments will no longer be outside the homeland.

i will keep watching this thread to see where it goes and if perhaps it could serve as a launch pad for some of these things

be strong people!
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Eziachi: 12:22pm On Nov 13, 2009
@ bibiking1 says
Why are you guys turning over the decomposing body of peace (or its semblance)[b][/b]

We are turning over things so that people can see that the bodies are still very much alive and had never decomposed. When you read stuff on Nairaland and sees the amount of ignorance of people of Nigeria especially the young generation today, who had been fed lies and still ignorantly lives by the same lies told them, it makes you want to weep. They had no idea, the sort of unimaginable war crimes their fathers, uncles, heroes committed inside Biafra all in the name of one Nigeria some of them today are telling us they are regreting. Some that had called the great Ikemba names to day without knowing half of the story or the whole truth.

They want us now to sweep it under the carpet because it makes them uncomfortable, but just like the Nazis, the Jew will always remind the present day Germans, what their fathers did, but the good the things is that the Germans are acknowledging this facts and making amends but with Nigeria and their offsprings, it's a different matter, some are even will do it again if give the chance or opportunity.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Eziachi: 12:40pm On Nov 13, 2009
I want every young Igbo, Yoruba, Efik, Ijaw, Annang etc to read this, not to get angry or be happy but for an education of what human being are capable of doing when fueled by hate and lack of compassion.
When I published the minutes of the Aburi accord, not many knew that that fact existed but it does. I am not a young man anymore and I experienced what happened first hand. If you don't tell the young the truth, the liars of this world will legitimatize their designs and the consequences are unimaginable to comprehend.

1 Like

Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Nobody: 1:07pm On Nov 13, 2009
somebody said we are disturbing the decomposed body of peace. i ask you a question: what killed the peace whose body we are disturbing, should he not be alive and well?

mr. eziachi, thank you for your post, please keep it up, and how do i get a copy of the other things you have published?
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Eziachi: 2:11pm On Nov 13, 2009
uchmann:

somebody said we are disturbing the decomposed body of peace. i ask you a question: what killed the peace whose body we are disturbing, should he not be alive and well?

mr. eziachi, thank you for your post, please keep it up, and how do i get a copy of the other things you have published?

Thank you, go to my past postings in nairaland through my profile here or Vanguard website, under my name Jon Ajuzieogu Lawrence.
The truth must be told.
Those that doubt the impact of Ikemba in Igboland are just decieving themselves. Look at how their appeal court had done the right things with Andy Uba, when his supporters were heard organising a celebratory party for their governor in waiting and the Ikemba had to speak out. One the Judges, Justice Ngwuta was warn by his town union of the consequences, if they ever imposed Andy Uba on our people.
Its not the right way in a normal democratic environment with a case in court that supposed had been thrown out but this is Nigeria and Ikemba and most of us understood the language the looters understands, quickly.
Do you see how slow, Ojukwu bashers on this forum had responded to this particular thread about the quotes of their heros and the job they did in their behalf.
The silent is deafening!!
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by blacksta(m): 2:26pm On Nov 13, 2009
@poster

Unforgiveness is bad for the soul , mind and the body - Let it go.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by metalgong5(m): 2:46pm On Nov 13, 2009
Eziachi:

Thank you, go to my past postings in nairaland through my profile here or Vanguard website, under my name Jon Ajuzieogu Lawrence.
The truth must be told.
Those that doubt the impact of Ikemba in Igboland are just decieving themselves. Look at how their appeal court had done the right things with Andy Uba, when his supporters were heard organising a celebratory party for their governor in waiting and the Ikemba had to speak out. One the Judges, Justice Ngwuta was warn by his town union of the consequences, if they ever imposed Andy Uba on our people.
Its not the right way in a normal democratic environment with a case in court that supposed had been thrown out but this is Nigeria and Ikemba and most of us understood the language the looters understands, quickly.
Do you see how slow, Ojukwu bashers on this forum had responded to this particular thread about the quotes of their heros and the job they did in their behalf.
The silent is deafening!!
This is no iorta of doubt that Odumegwu Ojukwu commands a lot of respect among Igbos and Nigerians in general and thats because of the straightforward way he tackles critical issues . . . . . Whenever he speaks, he does it bluntly without fear unlike his peers.
There is no doubt that his recent unappologetic press conferrence must have played a role in todays appelate court positive ruling.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Eziachi: 2:48pm On Nov 13, 2009
blacksta:

@poster

Unforgiveness is bad for the soul , mind and the body - Let it go. 

Nice sentiment, but acknowlement of guilt pushes open the door of forgiveness.  
grin Funny how you are short of words, you normally had a lot to say for yourself.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Eziachi: 2:52pm On Nov 13, 2009
metal-gong:

This is no iorta of doubt that Odumegwu Ojukwu commands a lot of  respect among Igbos and Nigerians in general and thats because of the straightforward way he tackles critical issues . . . . . Whenever he speaks, he does it bluntly without fear unlike his peers.
There is no doubt that his recent unappologetic  press conferrence must have played a role in  todays appelate court positive ruling.

Well said!
There is no shadow of doubt in that. Ikemba must have heard authoritavily what they are about to do under the cover of judiciary.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Nobody: 4:32pm On Nov 13, 2009
ever since i started understanding my enviroment, my country, i have been in awe and speechless. i know what it is to be in fear of mobs coming down on you with sticks knives and cudgels, was a living witness in kano 91, and was speechless. as i read these quotes, i remain speechless.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Eziachi: 4:46pm On Nov 13, 2009
df2006:

ever since i started understanding my enviroment, my country, i have been in awe and speechless. i know what it is to be in fear of mobs coming down on you with sticks knives and cudgels, was a living witness in kano 91, and was speechless. as i read these quotes, i remain speechless.

True! anybody's nightmare.
If you are speechless with this, you just wait. You haven't read anything yet.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by nduchucks: 5:33pm On Nov 13, 2009
i don tire of many posters claiming directly or indirectly say dem get good motives, while posting incendiary and highly inflammatory statements, wey no get objective, except to ferment trouble.

de kind posts wey i dey talk about dey always lead to cyber tribal battles. in dis case, i go give mallam eziachi, benefit of de doubt. i go believe say him dey knowledgeable and dey ready to share dat knowledge.

without any strings attached, mallam eziachi, abeg help me answer these questions. de answers go help me and others. if you no get answers and anyone else get answers, make una feel free to contribute.

(1)Could Biafra have survived to this day?

(2)Where did the Biafran war of survival go wrong?

(3)Did Ojukwu fight for Biafrans or for his personal interests?

(4)Is there any way that the Biafran secession could have been avoided?

(5)What role did the eastern minorities play in the Biafran struggle?

(6)Who actually killed Nzeogwu, Nigerian federal forces or a group of envious Biafrans?

(7)Did Biafran and Nigerian federal forces swap foods, women, and ammunition?

(coolWhat should be done to the living Biafran war criminals? (war criminals exist in every war)

(9)Where did the Biafran war leave the people of Eastern Nigeria? Is there any way out of it?

(10)To what extent did the Biafran army use chemical weapons in strategic battles?

(11)How effective were the Biafran-made weapons of mass destruction (Ogbunigwe and Flying Ogbunigwe) and self-guided surface-to-air missiles?

(12)What deal did Cameroon and Nigeria make to facilitate Biafra's defeat

(13)What deal did China and Biafra make and why did it fail to materialize?

(14)Did Biafrans destroy the Nigerian 2nd Div. by sheer chance or by some form of advanced warheads developed in secrecy?

(15)How and why did Biafran soldiers kill fellow Biafran soldiers?

(16)The lost children of Biafra (who are they and where are they now?

i believe say, if people find or provide honest and accurate answers to my questions, e go help the healing process. i get more questions, but i dey wait for intellectuals make dey handle these 16 first.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Afam(m): 5:49pm On Nov 13, 2009
While you await for the answers to your questions (many of them I find ridiculous anyway) I have just one for you.

Why are you using an Igbo username on this forum even when you are from the North if you are not ashamed of your tribe or your people?

@ the questions asked by this man,

I sincerely hope that people do not bother responding to him because there will be no end in sight as regards questions as this is the usual tactics of people that want to derail threads.

1 Like

Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by nduchucks: 6:19pm On Nov 13, 2009
Afam:

I sincerely hope that people do not bother responding to him because there will be no end in sight as regards questions as this is the usual tactics of people that want to derail threads.

if you no get de intellectual capability to answer great questions wey go help us understand eastern political history, or if you dey nervous about de outcome of dis kind intellectual conversation, den you are indeed an intellectual midget.

na people like you go take cutlass chase anyone wey disagree with una, during village meeting. if you no get de stomach for dis kind of examination, go join forum where everyone share de same view with you.

as for me, i prefer to discuss issues rather than personalities or login names of faceless people.  make you continue to hide your ignorance inside tribalism - it will do you no good.  you don already judge my motives and that says a lot about where you are intellectually.

afam, go find elders wey go interprete dis one for you - Ndi Okenye si kwa na anagi eji oke amu eyi akwuna ujo
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by beneli(m): 6:19pm On Nov 13, 2009
ndu_chucks:

Some of them grew up and became Nigerians. Some, like myself, managed to find their way in life and were able to become citizens of a much wider world, and in the process found the strength to be able to break free from the limiting chains of ethnic and primitive tribal bigotry, in spite of the hurdles that are thrust in front of them. While others still nurse unhealing wounds, around which festering scars have appeared that are too disfiguring and too painful for them to let go.

But many, the majority, did not make it. Their bones now lie scattered and broken in the eroding lands of what has become the South Eastern states of Nigeria. These ones, lost in the sands of time, yet whose names are engraved in the matrix of the beings of those that survived of their families; engraved like an image indented in molten gold that has hardened and will outlive a lot of those that gloat over their misfortune; these ones, perhaps, are the ones that are truly 'the lost children of Biafra'. That's what really happened to them. They died in a senseless war, yet in the hearts of those that survived, they live on.

War is not a good thing.

2 Likes

Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by nduchucks: 6:25pm On Nov 13, 2009
@beneli, thanks a lot. allah will grant you peace and bless you and your family richly.

my questions na to make people understand, minimally, de evil in warfare and to dissuade many of today's youths, who out of ignorance, continue to romance the idea of war.

may we never experience such a senseless war again.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by metalgong5(m): 7:14pm On Nov 13, 2009
ndu_chucks:

may we never experience such a senseless war again.

The war is senseless only for you parasites that have nothing to offer to the dungeon called Nigeria. Atulu Awusa!!
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Eziachi: 7:29pm On Nov 13, 2009
ndu_chucks:

i don tire of many posters claiming directly or indirectly say dem get good motives, while posting incendiary and highly inflammatory statements, wey no get objective, except to ferment trouble.

de kind posts wey i dey talk about dey always lead to cyber tribal battles. in dis case, i go give mallam eziachi, benefit of de doubt.  i go believe say him dey  knowledgeable and dey ready to share dat knowledge. 

without any strings attached, mallam eziachi, abeg help me answer these questions. de answers go help me and others. if you no get answers and anyone else get answers, make una feel free to contribute.

i believe say, if people find or provide honest and accurate answers to my questions, e go help the healing process.  i get more questions, but i dey wait for intellectuals make dey handle these 16 first.

Some of your question is not only meaningless or pointless but every yapping fowl deserved an answer sometimes, so I will try as much as I can.  This week in the whole of the western world, remembered 1914-1918 & 1939-1945, because its part of their history and a make of up of what they have become. Now how long ago was Biafra war, three decades. The reason people like you dont want to talk about or want it under the carpet while you disguise it as a pretence to peace or moving foward, is because it makes you unease when you heard what was done in your behalf by your parents or heros.  I am sure no child would like to be reminded that his father is a rapist.

Because all the evil that engineered the war is very much around, if not bigger. Now here is the answers to you question.

(1)Could  Biafra have survived to this day?
You don't need to go far to know it. If we survived by having just 20 naira of our own money to start, how much more when we start with everything, independent and free from quota system, educational advantage, boundary adjustment, fictitious census figure, deliberate deny of manpowering amenities lie good road, modern international airport?

(2)Where did the Biafran war of  survival go wrong?
It did not go wrong, we lost the physical war because of the size of the enemy- Britain-USSR-Egypt etc. But we won the moral war.

(3)Did Ojukwu fight for Biafrans or for his personal interests?
Ikemba was a billionaire before the war and ended up with nothing at the end of the war as he used his money to feed us in the face of impossible. That is not selfishness, its called self sacrifice. How you wish your brothers like Babangida or Abacha was 0% that selfless.

(4)Is there any way that the Biafran secession could have been  avoided?
Yes, if the Aburi accord signed by everybody was implemented. If you have left us alone to go our separate ways, marriage is never by force. And Nigeria of 2009 had vindicated us.

(5)What role did the eastern minorities play in the Biafran struggle?
Edwin Clarke, Anthony Enahoro are still is alive, maybe you should direct your question to them before they kick the bucket.

(6)Who actually killed Nzeogwu, Nigerian federal forces or a group of envious Biafrans?
I was one of the Biafran soldiers, I can't remember any unit known as the envious unit. If you know any better from your enclave in Sokoto, far away from the theatre of the war, please kindly educate me.

(7)Did Biafran and Nigerian federal forces swap foods, women, and ammunition?
Now you sound like Radio Kaduna during the war. The dumbest question since the last of the idiots.

(coolWhat should be done to the living Biafran war criminals?  (war criminals exist in every war)
I don't know any Biafran war criminal, if there is any tell us who they are and their crime and I will be the first to send them to share cell with Charles Taylor in the Hague.  Meanwhile you knew who the Nigerian war criminals are.  President Nixon, Sen Kennedy mentioned them but because of oil, they relent in punishing them. I think you know whom they are.

(9)Where did the Biafran war leave the people of Eastern Nigeria? Is there any way out of it?
It left us where we don't want to be. Individually we have ok, but as a nation, we are still slaves and the consequences is the fact that the likes of Uba family today are called our leaders by their creators in Abuja/Lagos.

(10)To what extent did the Biafran army use chemical weapons in strategic battles?
If there was a chemical weapon in Biafra, maybe we forgot were the key of their storage of kept when your fathers took pleasure in raping our mothers and sisters all over our towns and villages.

11)How effective were the Biafran-made weapons of mass destruction (Ogbunigwe and Flying Ogbunigwe) and self-guided  surface-to-air missiles?
As much as it could be effective under the circumstance war/hunger, the designer- Eng Roy Umenyi went back to teaching after the war.  In a progressive society, his talent could have been well tapped.  He becomes Jim Nwobodo's deputy between 1979-1984. He is now late.

(12)What deal did Cameroon and Nigeria make to facilitate Biafra's defeat
Cameroon president during the war (Ahmadu Ahijo) is from Adamawa but their part is in Cameroon and both still under the same Lamido of Adamawa. So the northerners counted on him to help them as their kin and he did.  If Biya was in charge during that period, things could have been different.
That is the reason president Biya- officially named the biggest market in Cameroon- BIAFRA MARKET. FACT!!

(13)What deal did China and Biafra make and why did it fail to materialize?
By 1967-70, Biafra is more developed in modern life than China, believe it or not. So I don't know where you got your idea of any deal with China, when China could not rescue Hong Kong from the British until 1998.

(14)Did Biafrans destroy the Nigerian 2nd Div. by sheer chance or by some form of advanced warheads developed in secrecy?
You tell me, armchair field marshal!!

(15)How and why did Biafran soldiers kill fellow Biafran  soldiers?
The war was fought inside Biafra and you were in Sokoto, you must have had some sort of sixth eye to know. Another stupid question.

No we were not lost. Number one of them is me, and you have people like Phillip Emeagawali, Chris Akabuisi, Patty Boulaye (real name Pat Obi-igwe) and many others that were evacuated abroad by the red cross after the way to protect the Igbo race.
Today, I am a top orthorpeadic surgeon in the U.K since the age of 26, Emeagwali is one of the best brain today in the world, Akabussi went on to win Olympic gold for Britian in 1984, Patty became a top actress worldwide (she was the "JOY GIRL"featured in the joy soap advert on the Nigerian TVs in the 70/80s)

1 Like

Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by nduchucks: 7:30pm On Nov 13, 2009
metal-gong:

The war is senseless only for you parasites that have nothing to offer to the dungeon called Nigeria. Atulu Awusa!!

metal-gong, ya statement dey naive and completely false.

beneli wey live through de war agree with me. read de statement wey him make and learn. make i post a portion for you here:

beneli:

They died in a senseless war, yet in the hearts of those that survived, they live on.

War is not a good thing.

na people live beneli be real heros, unlike ignorant people like you.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by metalgong5(m): 7:48pm On Nov 13, 2009
ndu_chucks:

metal-gong, ya statement dey naive and completely false.

beneli wey live through de war agree with me. read de statement wey him make and learn. make i post a portion for you here:

na people live beneli be real heros, unlike ignorant people like you.
I think you are the one spewing trash . . . May be you should conduct a census of people who supports/supported the Biafra cause on nairaland before drawing your dumb conclusion from what Benelli said.
Again, we dont need advise from Awusa Muturu Ndama rearers like you. . . . .go back to the desert.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by nduchucks: 7:59pm On Nov 13, 2009
@meta-gong: go look up de meaning of intellectual midget. na you be dat.

@eziachi, i appreciate ya answers and i know say i learn one or two tings from ya responses.  de only ting wey i no like be de abuses wey you reign on me before you give me ya answers. i suspect say you get some sort of insecurity or latent fear wey cause ya reaction.

i no vex, and i wish say other people go respond to my questions as well.  i go appreciate perspectives from various people. if you get time, abeg answer these other questions. my objective na to learn.

(1)What do you think were the effects of cold-war and pre-colonial policies on the state of Biafra

(2)Biafran women of war: what was their role in the execution of the war and other activities?

(3)What was the alliance between Biafra and Israel: the big deal between them?

(4)What were Biafra's internal sociopoli- tical problems and their effects?

(5)The Biafran "Boys Company", were Ojukwu and his commanders justified in using them for intelligence gathering and other war
engagements? Did the Boys Company help the cause of the war?

the answer to these questions go dey very instructive to many of us here.  i challenge the inhouse historians make dem help us with answers. no abuses, no prejudging, dis na just to add small academic dimension to de topic.

finally, whether person be rocket scientist, brain surgeon, or person wey dey clean old people yansh for retirement home, in diaspora, no concern me. i welcome answers to de question from anyone wey dey informed enough to provide answers, regardless of what they do for a living.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Eziachi: 8:08pm On Nov 13, 2009
ndu_chucks:

@meta-gong: go look up de meaning of intellectual midget. na you be dat.

@eziachi, i appreciate ya answers and i know say i learn one or two tings from ya responses. de only ting wey i no like be de abuses wey you reign on me before you give me ya answers. i suspect say you get some sort of insecurity or latent fear wey cause ya reaction.

i no vex, and i wish say other people go respond to my questions as well. i go appreciate perspectives from various people. if you get time, abeg answer these other questions. my objective na to learn.

(1)What do you think were the effects of cold-war and pre-colonial policies on the state of Biafra

(2)Biafran women of war: what was their role in the execution of the war and other activities?

(3)What was the alliance between Biafra and Israel: the big deal between them?

(4)What were Biafra's internal sociopoli- tical problems and their effects?

(5)The Biafran "Boys Company", were Ojukwu and his commanders justified in using them for intelligence gathering and other war
engagements? Did the Boys Company help the cause of the war?

the answer to these questions go dey very instructive to many of us here. i challenge the inhouse historians make dem help us with answers. no abuses, no prejudging, dis na just to add small academic dimension to de topic.

Have you heard the saying that, there is no such thing as a free lunch. Education comes with a price, I am not here to supplement your Nigerian made educatin by answering your endless and sometimes meaningless questions not with a quest to learn especially when you think that I am insecure. Why not ask your father, he might tell you some. If he doesn't then let us know.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by nduchucks: 8:16pm On Nov 13, 2009
Eziachi:

Have you heard the saying that, there is no such thing as a free lunch. Education comes with a price, I am not here to supplement your Nigerian made educatin by answering your endless and sometimes meaningless questions not with a quest to learn especially when you think that I am insecure. Why not ask your father, he might tell you some. If he doesn't then let us know.

you just spoil tory with dat statement. if you no get answers, you for talk so. me i no dey insult people parents or refer to dem in a derrogative manner, so i no go respond to you in kind.

additionally, i no go let you turn dis conversation into another tribal war or war of personalities. that go be the lazy way out for you. my questions require self examination, and i fully understand that, it could be difficult and painful for some people.

biko, enjoy ya weekend.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Soludo's Manifesto For Anambra / Why Senators May Oppose Buhari’s $1bn Security Equipment Fund -saraki / "it Is Really Bad": Nigerians Go Hungry As Food Inflation Soars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.